[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting into game programming question So there's a certain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

Getting into game programming question

So there's a certain project in its early stages that aims to recreate my favorite game. I feel very strongly about supporting it and i assume programmers are the most in demand for it.

It will be using C++ with SDL 2.0 and OpenGL.

As a total beginner aside from knowing what code is, what should i start learning? C++, obviously. But specifics for game dev? Prerequisites?

I can google and have been but i don't want to be that guy replying to a question like this with "just don't do it the way I did, do it this way instead..."

However if you are already that guy pls help.
>>
>>7637694
>>>/g/
>>
>>7637699
meh
>>
>>7637694
Java and then just learn some basic engines.
>>
>>7637707
>meh
ULTIMATE manchild indicator
>>
>>7637694
If you don't know the language already, you're far away from being able to contribute to a project like that... just learn the basics of the language and pay attention to what's going on. You'll gradually start to figure it out, but it's going to take a long time before you can write anything that an experienced person doesn't find to be utterly trivial. And this is really important: learn the documention conventions that they are using.

You'll also need to learn how to use git or subversion or whatever CMS is being used. Get yourself a nice text editor like emacs and learn to use it well.
>>
>>7637694
y are u making a game in C++?

C++ is what you make all programs "other than games" in

Use a baby-catering Dev kit to make something very easily

If you focus on taking too much control and making it from scratch your game won't be good in the end.
>>
>>7637694
Use THREE.js and you'll have a simple game done in a day. Then just continue to improve until you reach what you want.
>>
use Unreal 4 its free,its good
>>
>>7637694
>>>/vg/agdg
or alternatively the agdg on infchan
>>
>>7637694

C++ = SHIT
>>
>>7637699
>>7637965
Oh look, its the "Computer Science isnt a Science" memesquad again
How are you guys today?
>>
>>7637991
jaba is shit
>>
>>7637694
I know that you feel like the time is now, and you'll be able to meaningfully contribute at least SOMETHING to the project is you just start learning. But unfortunately, that's very unlikely the case.

If anything you should start by learning C. Then you have a framework to pretty quickly understand C++ and other languages. Get a book like "The C programming language", by Richie Kerninghan. If you really want to start with C++, Bjarne Strousup wrote a book on C++ as well. Though I've never read the latter.

I'm still working towards my goal of writing a deliberately semi realistic fluid simulation. I'm not even close yet. Learning it isn't the hard or even time consuming part. It's the internal stuff. Learning to have a feeling for programming, and figure good ways to do certain tasks. That takes the longest.
>>
>>7637723
>>7637741
>>7637754
>>7637759
>>7637991
Did you even read the post? OP is hoping to join an existing project that he finds interesting, and he is joining as someone with no programming skills. Why would they give him any say on what language or engines to use?

I'm beginning to suspect that there are bots whose job is to shitpost random gibberish every time any programming-related thread comes up. You are those shitbots.
>>
>>7637694
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Game_Development
>>
>>7638592
>start by learning C
I don't think there is any value in this if he's just going to be writing C++. He might as well start thinking right off the bat about object-oriented programming and streams and namespaces and so on. Half the intro to programming courses in the world start off like this, so it's not like it's going to be too difficult.
>>
>>7637694
>OpenGL
stopped reading right there. it's doomed

btw the programming advice here is worse than /g/ so I would ignore it.
>>
>>7637694
Why is this on /sci/, OP?
>>
>>7637694
Don't try to make the next World of Warcraft. Your first game should be a simple game. Your first few games should take no longer than a week to develop. The more of these games you make, the better you will be at cranking out more work in a week. Pretty soon you will be able to crank out games in a weekend.
I would make it a goal to try and submit a game into a Ludum Dare (http://ludumdare.com/compo/rules/), then you can start thinking about making 3D games in OpenGL.

TL;DR Your first games won't be the kind of games you want to play.

Source: I am double majoring in Game Development and Computational Physics, so I know a thing or two when it comes to getting into gamedev.
>>
>>7637694
You probably won't be able to learn C++ to the level of making games from scratch in time to fill a position in the project.

But the bigger question is why are they making a game from scratch? There's gamemaker, unreal, and unity. Two of those are sufficient to remake any game that's old enough to remake. There's no reason to start from nothing, remakes take long enough as it is. I'm also wondering what kind of programmers volunteer that kind of work load when the project can just use an engine that's ready to go.

>>7638037
Where's the science in OP's post? It doesn't belong here, but I don't blame him because /g/ is shit.
>>
>>7638671
Samefag here

>>7638592
There is no value in learning C for gamedev, as most of the industry uses C++. I would recommend buying a beginner C++ book that teaches game programming. Beginning C++ Through Game Programming by Michael Dawson appears to be a good choice.
>>
>>7638671
>Don't try to make the next World of Warcraft. Your first game should be a simple game

vanilla WoW was pretty simple.
>>
>>7638678
>There is no value in learning C for gamedev
I know. It's hard to give a recommendation without knowing what OP actually wants or plans to do in the future. If it's pure game development, then I agree. Otherwise, C can be very worthwhile.
>>
Learning programming by starting at C++ is like learning math by starting at advanced calculus
>>
>>7638906
>Learning programming by starting at C++ is like learning math by starting at advanced calculus

A false comparison, mathematics and C++ are both languages. So learning Calculus in math would be equivalent to learning pointers in C++, however there is nothing implicitly difficult about writing a Hello World program or a text-based game in C++.
>>
Do you want good advice? Go to lainchan (it's slow though).
>>
Use CL, way simpler.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.