[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/. Super Strypi is launching soon, carrying ORS 4 a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

File: file.png (425KB, 905x499px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
425KB, 905x499px
Hey /sci/.

Super Strypi is launching soon, carrying ORS 4 and some cubesats.

The ORS 4 mission is a first flight demonstration of the experimental, low-cost Super Strypi small launch system. The Operationally Responsive Space office is managing development of Super Strypi in partnership with the University of Hawaii, Sandia National Laboratories, the Pacific Missile Range Facility and Aerojet Rocketdyne Corp. The goal is to deliver payloads in the range of 300 kilograms to low Earth orbit. A Super Strypi launch vehicle will deliver the HiakaSat spacecraft and multiple CubeSat payloads into orbit on the ORS 4 mission. Delayed from October 2013, April and October 2014. Delayed from January 2015. Delayed from Oct. 29. [Nov. 2]

http://original.livestream.com/spaceflightnow
>>
Bump because normally /sci/ likes launches

This thing's being launched from Hawaii, and it's basically trying to bring back the sounding rocket concept.
>>
launching now, personell are evacuating pad
>>
>>7635522
What do you mean "bring back the sounding rocket concept"? Sounding rockets are still a thing. Hard to bring back something that never went away.
>>
>>7635579
It's using sounding rocket tech to try and put stuff into orbit
>>
>>7635582
It's using sounding rocket tech, but its not going to replace them. Its being built so the DOD can deliver small satellites into orbit on short notice. The goal is to be able to launch a satellite within 24 hours of deciding they want one. Sounding rockets aren't going away anytime soon.
>>
Basically, it's about the size of Falcon 1 with around half the payload capacity.

Interestingly, it uses ammonium nitrate rather than ammonium perchlorate, trading performance for environmental friendliness and elimination of the corrosive mess usually deposited on launch facilities when solid motors are involved.

I haven't heard yet whether it's a metallized propellant (with aluminum or magnesium fuel), or just HTPB/AN with minor additives.

There may be potential for very low launch costs. The first stage is spin-stabilized, and therefore unguided. No moving parts, no avionics. The other two stages are more conventional.
>>
Urethral sounding rockets.
>>
File: bestshuttle.jpg (73KB, 450x700px) Image search: [Google]
bestshuttle.jpg
73KB, 450x700px
T-10 minutes!
>>
>>7635849
>pic
go home Norks, you can't into space
>>
>>7635454
that thing looks just like the first Estes model rocket I ever launched.
>>
aaaaand yet another hold.

This Super Strypi is certainly advancing the state-of-the-art in modern aerospace delay technology.
>>
>>7635879
hold cleared, now T-50m and counting
>>
Has anyone heard whether there's metal fuel or not in the propellant?

The military might want this for low-observable launches.
>>
>>7635913
I've seen some pictures of it firing, and it seems very bright orange and opaque to me, so I think there must be aluminum or magnesium in the fuel.
>>
well, that was an epic fail (or flail, rather)
>>
Wew, rolling shutter!
>>
uhh, I'm pretty sure it failed? It was spinning a lot and it started to wobble and then the little 3d representation had it flipping end over end and then the feed cut.

i guess unless it was spin stabilized, something was wrong.
>>
Well that spin looked like it was getting out of control. Damn sucks if it failed.

Better luck next time, Hawaii
>>
>>7636062
It was spin stabilized, maybe it was a telemetry error?
>>
>>7636062
Apparently it was spin stabilized.
>>
File: notnominal.gif (1MB, 554x303px) Image search: [Google]
notnominal.gif
1MB, 554x303px
>>7636060
I don't think we're going to space today
>>
>>7636064
It looked like it was spinning about a different point, maybe as the fuel burned it changed the weight distribution and that caused problems. Though you'd think they'd account for that already.
>>
So what's the word, did it do explodey things or what?
>>
>>7636069
yeah this launch went ksp pretty fast. poor cubesats.
>>
>>7636069
we kerbal space program now
>>
>1960's - land men on Moon
>2010's - can't launch sounding rocket
>>
>The Super Strypi launch vehicle has lifted off from the U.S. Navy's Pacific Missile Range Facility in Hawaii on an experimental test flight of a new military lightweight satellite booster. The first moments of the flight appeared to go well, but an animation of the launch vehicle derived from telemetry appeared to show it tumbling shortly after liftoff.

>We are standing by for an update on the status of the launch from mission managers.
>>
So did they even give NASA a chance to review this prior to launching?
>>
>>7636085
This was an Air Force launch, not NASA.

Yes, this is a fine demonstration of the capability of US air defense!
>>
>>7636096
Ironic considering the Air Force was the one who started up the space program
>>
>>7636096
Well now I feel confident they can hit those pesky terrorists
>>
>>7636096
Careful. This thing is watching you
>>
Mark Wiese
@MW_go4launch
So word I got from folks on island is that first stage visually was nominal, planned 2 minute coast before 2nd stage ignition. #ORS4

IT AINT OVER BOYS
>>
>>7636064
>>7636111
here's to hoping.
>>
>>7636111
So maybe that was just the stage spinning around...
>>
>>7636069
kek
>>
>>7636122
>>7636121
New Air Force stealth program

Fake a failure and surprise the fuckers
>>
>>7636111
here's hoping that animation was just a telemetry glitch, and the early livestream cutoff was the Air Force getting paranoid.
>>
Mark Wiese @MW_go4launch 58s59 seconds ago
Too long with no status, and hearing radio blackout locally as well for #ORS4 which leads to contingency plans having probably kicked in.

PANIC
>>
>>7636127
Oh wow, just 10s of minutes after launch and conspiracy theories are already coming in
>>
It's one thing if this is a college project but it's the fucking US Air Force.
>>
>>7636136
well, it is a collaboration with the U of Hawaii. Some pack of undergraduates and an untenured prof will probably be the scapegoats.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsMegDZ_VFQ

It's dead Jim
>>
>>7636152
without knowing how long the first stage burn is supposed to be, that doesn't show a failure. There is apparently a planned two minute coast after the first stage separates.
>>
>>7636164
Sats should have deployed in orbit long by now. No signals from those yet.
>>
>>7636164
first stage burn was supposed to be 75 seconds, and that looked short.

The reason this launch was delayed two years was the high risk of casing burn-through towards the end of flight. I'm betting that's what happened.
>>
Not everyone can into space, Americans
>>
>>7636100
A major US government organization like the Air Force or NASA doesn't really do anything like this themselves, it's always contracted out.

This is basically a Sandia (Lockheed Martin) and Aerojet-Rocketdyne vehicle, with customers represented by a university involved on the payloads end, and the Air Force involved on the range operations end.

The big government customer keeps an eye on development, and makes suggestions and gives requirements and evaluates decisions, with the power to cut funding if things are going badly, but doesn't really do the work of designing or building itself.

The list of contractors is getting shorter. With less competition, there are more fuck-ups and less alternatives when you get a fuck-up.
>>
Confirmed failure

Check sfn
>>
https://spaceflightnow.com/2015/11/04/video-clips-show-rocket-anomaly-high-above-hawaii/

For anyone who missed it. Air Force confirmed the failure. F
>>
>>7636069
>file name
fucking kek
>>
>>7635582
You can put stuff into orbit with sounding rockets?
>>
>>7637857
from what we just saw, no you cant
>>
>>7637857
yeah, in theory. Our rocket club did a calculation that the largest Black Brant variant was just a hair too small to go to orbit. Besides just making it bigger, you also have to have much finer control of the trajectory to attain a stable orbit.

Also, Ye Olde Scout rocket basically used sounding rocket tech (all solid stages) but up-sized. It had over a hundred successful orbital missions. Same with Japan's Lambda and Mu series of small launchers.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.