[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is everyone on here just a popsci faggot that memorises fancy-sounding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

File: ifls.jpg (96KB, 630x490px) Image search: [Google]
ifls.jpg
96KB, 630x490px
Is everyone on here just a popsci faggot that memorises fancy-sounding phrases without understanding the actual science?
>>
I, for one, am not.
>>
>>7634711
Fuck you!!
I'll have you know I've read Stephen Hawkings a brief history of time. I understand science, even if its just popular science. You elitist faggit OP
>>
>>7634711
I'm a researcher that actually works on a University but I'm also a pop sci fag largely because of easy accessible knowledge in other fields which might benefit my own field.
>>
>>7634711
I actually want /sci/ to be good, but I know it won't happen unless anons on /sci/ hate popsci shitposting and refuse to reply.

I'm doing this by making sure popsci threads clutter /sci/ and legitimate threads 404

Eventually /sci/ will have ONLY shitposts
OR the userbase will come together and memethreads will get almost no replies, and die quickly like on /lit/
>>
>>7634719
gr8 b8 senpai
>>
>>7634736
tym8tbqhf
>>
>>7634711
Full time chemical engineer, yes I understand science
>>
I don't really post in threads other than homework, maths and philosophy since im pretty ignorant of chemistry and advanced physics.

I kight ask questions though.

I am getting tired of freshman tier idiots claiming they know shit when they dont.
>>
>>7634747
Maybe you should help >>7634735
>>
Don't underestimate the power of pop-sci. It can be used to quickly gain mass public support for projects that would otherwise take years to acquire funding for. Just go along with it and reap the benefits.
>>
>>7634749
Nah i go on /sci/ to be less ignorant.

I dont know how well thats working out though
>>
>>7634752
What's the point of pop-sci on a NEET good boy point discussion website?

The popsci NEETs on /sci/ are negligible to mass public support.
>>
>>7634758
If /sci/ was more like /lit/ it'd be much better. More high level discussion instead of homework threads and relativity bait
>>
>>7634760
Thing is, it's not even like those things are the worst of it. The worst is people posting in normal threads and trying to act as if they understand what the fuck they're talking about - that lowers the quality of the whole board.
>>
>>7634766
Exactly.
We need a degree of elitism, with knowledgeable anons disgracing pleb anons, until board culture is to fucking shit mercilessly on plebs (making screen caps for pleb shaming threads), so that the barrier to entry is massive
>>
>>7634711
>Is everyone on here just a popsci faggot that memorises fancy-sounding phrases without understanding the actual science?

I remember years ago when I was in graduate school, I had access to a book on approximate Molecular Orbital methods. In the forward of the book, there was a statement that if someone were to memorize enough of the acronyms (CNDO, MNDO, LUMO, HOMO etc) they could convince anyone that they understood quantum chemistry.
>>
People who post threads are usually pop-sci fags, lurkers are usually okay.
>>
>WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT IS THE DECOMPOSITION OF THE DIRECT PRODUCT OF TWO IRREDUCIBLE REPRESENTATIONS OF THE ROTATION GROUP INTO A DIRECT SUM OF IRREDUCIBLE REPRESENTATION
>>
>>7634773
>pleb detected

But seriously, that's not at all what I'm trying to suggest. Anyone should be able to ask questions or answer to the best of their knowledge. The problem arises when people act as if they're knowledgeable about a subject when in fact they're not, which is simply misleading.
>>
>>7634759
True, but being friendly to pop-sci overall is still important. The question remains: Should we encourage blind faith in science in order to increase awareness and funding?
>>
>>7634711
Yes.

Look at the amount of sources you see on this board. I quoted one time something straight from a well received research paper and /sci/ deemed it ''pseudo science'' :D.

I rarely go to this board though, even /pol/ is more rational despite displaying constant incorrect use of statistics and pop article after pop article. I rarely see anything on here besides popular science, something you could read in an easy subway newspaper. Then again it just displays how most scientific disciplines require tacit knowledge.
>>
I don't understand a lot of the stuff, I had teachers in school who didn't care if we learn something, we were watching movies and shit like that most of the time, but I'm kinda interested in science and like to read about science in my free time
I've red some quantum theory books that were really interesting

this is actually the first time I've ever posted something here
>>
>>7634783
is it mashke's theorem ?
>>
>>7634736
>implying it wasn't bad parody
>>
>>7634719
kek
brief history of time is pop sci, go do quantum mechanics and general relativity for the real things behind that book
>>
surely some one who honestly care about science and technology should be happy when pop culture is interested. we want more people to be interested in this field, not scare them off by being a bunch of elitist scum.
>>
>>7634711
pretty sure this is secretly a help me with my math homework board
>>
>>7635177
Fuck popsci. If they want to talk about their popsci bullshit they should have their own board, a sci general or something like that, where they can make their ebin maymays
>>
>>7635177
not the 4chan kind. we want them to fuck off.

the worst is when they come out with a "theory" about how something works when they know fuck all about it. It like they think scientists are so deep into their research they missed a glaring truth that this wise anon with his unblinkered vision spotted.

bit annoying desu
>>
File: 99333.jpg (158KB, 963x719px) Image search: [Google]
99333.jpg
158KB, 963x719px
>>7634773

/sci/ already has enough elitists masquerading as holders of wisdom. That this board is rife with conceit. In turn, your echo-chamber rots from the inside along with quality of your suggestions.
>>
I want to see the redhead tits. She has a nice rack.
>>
>>7635397
This board is filled with NEETs pretending to majoring in engineering at top 10 schools. If you attended any of those school you would know that free time is non-existent for those kids. So we have NEETs on this board. In reality you can go to some shitbag universities, majoring in engineering and still work at a top ranked companies. That what I did, and I work alongside MIT/Ivy engineers. 2/3rd of those kids aren't going to make it by the way. They're too timid and submissive. All that matters is having a couple of internships and maybe a CO-OP.
>>
>>7634752

/sci/ is too edgy and autistic to understand this
>>
>>7635440
>/sci/ is too stupid to understand this
FTFY.
>>
>>7634735
>i hate shitposting on /sci/
>therefor i make sure to flood the board with shitposting, that will show them!
kek
>>
>>7635505
It makes sense m8.
Right now, we are in an equilibrium of shitposting.
If we tip it enough one way, eventually it will fall, or it will swing back the other way.

If it falls we can get another board, like /v/ and /vg/.

If it tips the other way, then we can do our best to keep shitposting to a minimum

Just look at /lit/ for an example of how they manage to keep shitposting down to a relatively low level.
>>
>>>7635194
Actual science question for people to try and answer
>>
>>7635528
>Actual science question for people to try and answer
> question about a movie
Fuck off pleb
>>
>>7635543
>he didn't read the question
sorry I couldn't put it in meme form
>>
>>7635550
Hey, I saw a television program about a time travelling blue box.

How can this actually be done?
>>
>>7634711
I'm currently at a top-10 physics research university pursuing a degree in physics with a math concentration plus a music performance degree.
/notpopsci/
>>
>>7635113
How is a brief history of time pop-sci?
>>
>>7635362
desu indeed
>>7635437
Well blame academia, parents and high school teachers for that. Being succesful in school = being submissive.

I'm rather queit myself and just let things go if I'm not interested.
>>
>>7634711
nice dubs

yes is the answer
>>
I mean, I'm published...
>>
>>7635699
Is it a science book? Are there theorems, formulas, exercises? Does it expect the reader to have any knowledge of physics? No? It's popsci. It's filled with pointless babbling attempting to be atrractive for idiots who don't really care about science. It's shit.
>>
>>7634719
you think you can just shitpost on a korean pottery website
>>
Popsci?

More like poopsci, amirite folks
>>
File: 1421619216337.jpg (649KB, 707x1924px) Image search: [Google]
1421619216337.jpg
649KB, 707x1924px
Popsci is just like the geek chic movement in mainstream pop culture of recent years. It's a fad. People sooner or later will realise that actual science requires a lot of cognitive effort and can turn out to be quite tiresome, Thusly, people will find other things to be faux-interested in and this popsci thing will blow over soon enough. Patience.
>>
>>7635516
sounds like you may want to start visiting other websites with memberships and serious mods. 4chans an experiment where anyone can post so there will always be to certain degree shiposting
>>
Talking to my manager:
"You're telling me paint on cars because of 'photodegredation' and not because the clear coat wears off? Give me a fucking break, thats fuckin retarded."

Legitimately said this to me. He has a Bachelor's in Psychology from the University of Florida btw
>>
>>7637448
**Paint on cars fades**
>>
File: TED.png (89KB, 1299x800px) Image search: [Google]
TED.png
89KB, 1299x800px
There's so much mental masturbation in these things it's incredible
>>
>>7637417
It's meant for general readers. To catch people's interest in science. There's nothing wrong with the book. There's nothing wrong with "pop-sci" either (unless it's shit like multiple universes or string theory, etc).

People who don't have a full understanding will at least catch general concepts out of it. It's what got me interested, and here I am now trying to major in physics.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.