[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's a longshot....but are there any other synthetic organic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_nplaviCbBC1rzctcxo4_500.png (203KB, 500x535px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nplaviCbBC1rzctcxo4_500.png
203KB, 500x535px
It's a longshot....but are there any other synthetic organic chemists stuck in industry?

How have your hopes been crushed? Do you still have any dreams?
>>
File: sisyphus_by_o__v-d66ox90.png (89KB, 585x293px) Image search: [Google]
sisyphus_by_o__v-d66ox90.png
89KB, 585x293px
>>7588060
>stuck in industry
Yeah whatever, what are you like 80 grand? Have some kids and a nice retirement.
>>
I'm applying to phd programs in synthetic organic for next fall. Why do you hate it?

Also
>stuck in industry
From what I've read there are a lot of people who would literally kill to be "stuck in industry"
>>
>>7588060
>>7588068
>>7588094
Syntheticfags, how do I get better at NMR and is mass spec really that important?

Pls halp anons, I feel like a retard for not understanding NMR. All my structures are wrong as dick
>>
>>7588169
mass spec coupled to lc is the best way to follow most experiments (unless your pdt is not uv active).

You can get a better NMR by learning to shim the magnet and then apodizing your spectrum (For a 400 MHz magnet, use 0.4 Hz of exponential line broadening, zero fill to the largest possible value that your computer's ram can deal with, and always do a polynomial baseline correction). In order, this will give you a resolution increase, signal to noise increase, and a correction to your integrations.
>>
pls help
>>
> industry
When you decided to become a synthetic chemist, where exactly did you think you were going to find employment?
>>
>>7589743
pharma.
>>
>>7588517
Actually I meant, how do I get better at doing NMR problems?

I'm still an undergrad
>>
I'm phys chem, not synth, but I would probably prefer to be doing bitch work with my BS + half of an MS (was unable to get any job with this) than in a PhD program like I am now
>>
>>7589899
NMR problems? I assume you mean "given this spectrum, what is the target species?"

I would look at the number of peaks in the aromatic region first. This will tell you how many protons that are on carbons in the conjugated systems (PROTIP: always reference with WELL RESOLVED ALKYL PROTONS if you can. Aromatic peaks tend to have more aberrations). After the aromatics, look at the alkyl region for tell-tale signs of ethyl, methyl, isopropyl groups (triplet + quartet, bigass singlet, or loads of shit near 0.5-0 ppm; respectively). Then if you see things around 3-6.5 ppm try to work out if you have an ugly alkene or a nasty double bond somewhere that is causing trouble. Keep in mind that your water peak can move from 1.5 in proton and will often be sharp (most textbooks say that it is always a broad singlet at 1.5 ppm; in reality it can move up to around 4 ppm and be sharp if the target molecules stack and form a very stable lattice).
>>
>>7588169
Why are you asking babby tier advice is a thread aimed at professionals
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.