[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electrical plants, Apocalypse-style

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: i02_70800787.jpg (564KB, 1247x780px) Image search: [Google]
i02_70800787.jpg
564KB, 1247x780px
Some friends and I are discussing this. What's the best way to reliably harvest sustainable energy after most of society has collapsed?
>>
>>6666439
dams
>>
>>6666439
Burning trees
>>
Well, I'd guess society will just start over and do the same thing we did to get to harvesting sustainable energy..
>>
Synthetic
Photo-
synthesis
>>
> The conversion of solar energy into a clean fuel (H2) under ambient conditions is one of the greatest challenges facing scientists in the twenty-first century.

> Another area of research within artificial photosynthesis is the selection and manipulation of photosynthetic microorganisms, namely green microalgae and cyanobacteria, for the production of solar fuels. Many strains are able to produce hydrogen naturally, and scientists are working to improve them.[10] Algae biofuels such as butanol and methanol are produced both at laboratory and commercial scales. This approach has benefited with the development of synthetic biology,[10] which is also being explored by the J. Craig Venter Institute to produce a synthetic organism capable of biofuel production.[11][12]
>>
>>6666439
>after most of society has collapsed

Make society so that it doesn't collapse and this isn't a problem.
>>
Depends on the scenario. If the environment is still intact I'd say hydroelectric.
>>
>>6666442
I'd argue that it's dams, as long as someone doesn't fuck it up and they are kept clean. But if a turbine goes bad, you're fucked. Just getting a new turbine to the dam is gonna be hard.

Photovoltaics are probably the best candidate because they don't have any move parts and the only maintenance they really need is cleaning. Of course photovoltaics only last so long, like most things in life...

BUT if society has collapsed then it's going to be difficult to maintain an electrical grid,

>>6666446
>>6666453
>>synthetic photosynthesis
does not work on an industrial scale yet.

>>algae
algae needs a carefully controlled environment. Algae does not naturally make hydrogen, so can get out competed by stuff that doesn't make hydrogen.
>>
>>6666439
Perhaps wind?
>>
>>6666470
Turbines don't have to be the pristine objects we have today.
Remember we've been using water (and air) to turn things for a long while.
>>
>>6666439
csp and wave (both only need metal really so relatively easy to salvage parts, at least to get you going)
>>
Go old school.

Hydroelectric or wind.
>>
>>6666439
It depends on where you live.

If you live where there are trees, then just cut down the trees, and build a wood gasifier to power a generator.

FEMA has instructions on how to build one http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0302hsted/fema.woodgas.pdf

If you live in the desert then you are most likely fucked anyway, but if you have a good water supply then hydro or solar panels will do the job.
>>
>>6666439
Geo-thermal. Dig deep enough anywhere and you find the heat source needed.
>>
>>6667846
lol dig deep enough

civilization has collapsed dude
>>
>>6667856
They know how to dig a hole before cell-phones existed. I'm sure you'll figure it out again.

That's like saying, you don't have a crane big enough to move 1 stone weighing 800 tons so it can't be done, yet the Romans did it 3,200 years ago. Maybe they still had gas for their teleporters?
>>
>>6667876
Do you realize how deep you have to dig to boil water? The only viable places for geothermal are lava fields.
>>
>>6666439
Illuminati pls go
>>
>>6667883
I see you have never even gone camping. You can walk naked with just a pan into the middle of Montana in January and boil water. There are spots all over the planet where water boils are ground level on it's own due to geo-thermal activity. The geysers of Yellowstone, Just southwest of Death Valley, just 2 feet underground in LaBrea, New Barunfuls TX, Kansas City Missouri, Ft. Smith Arkansas, Pensacola FL, Cookeville TN, Fort Wayne OH, 7 miles south of Allentown PA, Saratoga Springs NY.

And thats just the ones I know of in America. I'm sure there are thousands more in North America alone.
>>
>>6667973
> I see you have never even gone camping.
I've gone camping more times than I can count and I've had to make fires in a variety of ways and have had to boil snow.
Never have I been so lucky to find a geyser to heat anything up.

Not saying you can't do it. Just that it isn't viable in most places.
>>
>>6667987
Ever wonder why the American Indian moved around so much?

I've looked around. Just move to Santa Fe New Mexico if you're worried. You'll be fine.
>>
>>6668057
Or I could just use the resources that surround me.
>>
>>6668061
Where is that? I'm wondering what part of the desert you live in lol
>>
>>6668075
Wat.
I'm not in the desert. I live near Chicago.
>>
>>6668077
Are you OP?
>>
>>6668081
No. Just an outdoorsman.
>>
Coal.

Because after society has collapsed there will be absolutely no sense in constructing a hard to build, difficult to sustain system when you could just dig up coal and burn it with like a quarter of the work and maintenance. For that matter there will probably be enough lying around to last you a thousand lifetimes.
>>
>>6668077
You could go to Mud Lake. It's not very big but it does have an outflow, it's part of Lake Koshkonong, the pines in that region grow pretty fast, there are 3 (that i know of) abandoned missle silo's and 2 rather massive cold war dooms day bunkers around Fort Atkinson not to mention a seemingly intrusive deer population. Plant your crops on the north side of the lake to avoid early winter lake effect frost, Store your winter supplies on the south side of the lake because of the lake effect, and stay in the bottom of one of the silo's during winter. I believe the 2 north chutte's are close enough you could run a pipe from one that you leave open to collect snow and rain throught the year for a water supply. You'd just have to fence it off at the top to prevent wildlife from entering and keep caged snakes to keep the birds away.
>>
>>6668091
Coal or trees. Whatever is easier.
>>
>>6666439
On a small scale, floating hydro generators would be good. Hydro doesn't have to mean dams.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.