[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The hardest major.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 7

File: y=x.gif (4KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
y=x.gif
4KB, 300x300px
Is it math?
>>
>>6453186
biology
>>
>>6453186
Define hardest.

Most time investment needed? Architecture.
Most mathematical skill? Pure maths, obviously.
Most stress? Medicine.
>>
diamond studies
>>
>>6453186
To get a good job? Probably.
>>
>>6453198
Most time invested? Math/Physics
Most skill? Math
Most stress? Depends, but it can easily be math or physics.

You're not good at math or physics just by being intelligent, geniality comes with practice. But they also need to have a lot of skill. And if you have the skill and the time (and a lot of luck), a decent job in any of both fields can be the most stessful thing in life even if you love it.
>>
>>6453205
>300k starting
>>
>>6453208
EDIT: Most mathematical skill? Math.

For Physics you don't need as much math skills as for pure Mathematics, but it's equally demandant.
>>
>>6453190
>>6453202
>>>/b/
>>
>>6453208
>Most time invested? Math/Physics
>Most stress? Depends, but it can easily be math or physics.
Confirmed for never having left his universities math department.

70 hour weeks for architecture students is an every day thing. They routinely bring sleeping bags to studio and get food delivered so they can work around the clock.

Meanwhile, pre-med undergrads have to deal with the fact that 4.0 GPAs are a bare minimum for acceptance into med school. They routinely retake classes they got an A- in because it's functionally the same as getting an F. Then, in med school, they have to deal with all the demands of any other grad school along with the insane levels of stress that come from residency and hospital work. Also, the obscene competition from undergrad not only doesn't stop, but gets WORSE, and even the slightest imperfection can permanently blacklist you thanks to the wonderful world of malpractice insurance that can and does get into the millions of dollars with even a single error at any point. All of that academic stress then compounds with the unholy amounts of psychological stress that comes with literally having peoples' lives in your hands every single day.

But no, your fucking differential equations and proofs are much more time consuming and stressful. Idiot.
>>
>>6453236

if a doctor fucks up, 1 person dies

if an engineer fucks up hundreds or thousand people can die

nice try tho, medfag
>>
>>6453222
>>>>/b/

Back at ya, slick. Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.
>>
>>6453236
Good to see another depressed fag. The thing is, I'm not talking only about the studing and grades (which mean NOTHING), but about being good at what you do (you know, have at least SOME CHANCE of getting a job). Studing in the end is easy, stop being so dramafag because you think you deserve some kind of award for studying a lot - it's your life, do whatever you want with it, nobody cares.

>But no, your fucking differential equations and proofs are much more time consuming and stressful. Idiot.

Proof that you don't even know what you're talking about. But hey, the thing that there're 100 times more architects or physicians than mathematics or physicists proves nothing.

By the way, I'm not a math student, so I barely ever leave my University math department because I barely ever enter there.
>>
>>6453260
>Dispassionate knowledge of the impact of what you do
>Actually, literally, watching people die and it's entirely your fault
What, are you some kind of autist who can't understand how humans interact with each oth-
Oh, wait, engineer. Right then.
>>
>>6453260
>if an engineer fucks up hundreds or thousand people can die

There would never be a situation where one engineer's mistake would result in hundreds of deaths. You think only one person designs a bridge, and nobody else even looks at it?
>>
>>6453269
He said with a straight face that physics takes more effort than architecture and is more stressful than medicine. Of course he's an idiot.
>>
>>6453186
Triple integrals
>>
What is the joke "triple integrals" about?
>>
File: skeletonjelly.jpg (640KB, 1053x2898px) Image search: [Google]
skeletonjelly.jpg
640KB, 1053x2898px
Honestly I think medicine is the hardest thing to do, I say this as an engineer (although I do admit i'm a little on the autism side maths/physics is easy as fuck for me)

And yeah I don't want blood on my hands like that b
>>
i'm a doctor. my job is not difficult.
physics or math would be the most difficult majors.
>>
>>6453295
>engineer
>maths/physics
pick one
>>
>>6453312
oh fuck off m8
>>
>>6453291
>What is the joke "triple integrals" about?

It's a /sci/ meme. The joke is basically that a large proportion of /sci/ are first or second year undergrads and think knowing calculus makes them badass. And a triple integral is no more difficult than a single integral, but you don't typically do them until "calc 2" or "calc 3", so it's like something he 19 year olds can lord over the 18 year olds.

And that's the joke.
themoreyouknow.jpg
>>
>>6453186
if you are male and have no masochistic tendency, I'd recommend you gender studies.

You will literally lose your balls.
>mfw I contribute nothing to science
>>
Chemistry, by far
>>
>>6453340
>if you are male and have no masochistic tendency, I'd recommend you gender studies.
my sides.

How do they even have exams? Do they just write essays on "muh feelings?"
>>
>>6453269
In most countries there is one "technical responsible". If a bridge falls it's his fault no matter what.
>>
>>6453446
After having taken a few courses in chemistry I find it really hard to understand it all.

Math is math and physics is physics, but chemistry is such a fuckton of different rules and names that the scope just melts my brain. Am I simply retarded or is math and physics more easy to get a grasp of?
>>
Yeah, I also took Introductory Chemistry and thought it was kinda difficult. Switched to Math and it's way easier/more fun.
>>
>>6453186
most likely something dedicated to number theory
>>
>>6453340

I took my required gender studies class at my school and aced it. I cringed at first and even logically argued with the teacher. Then I realized it it was just a losing battle, and I was playing with my grade for that class that will effect my overall GPA.

So I lied, and lied magnificently. The teacher loved me and of my understanding of "womyn problems." Sure I felt dirty, and like I sold out. But, it's required for that class.
>>
>>6453479

BTW, it was literally the easiest A I have ever gotten. Ever!
>>
>>6453466
To each his own, though as you said chemistry takes a little more memorizing rules and shit once you get the hang of it it comes with ease. With maths it's just: "this is the way it is and that's it"
>>
>>6453479
not the first time I've seen this on sci, i take it all amerifag stem students have been through a process of losing their morals in a random humanities class
>>
>>6453518
If it wasn't for the 'Diversified Education Curriculum' at my school I could probably graduate early. Taking Real Analysis in the beginning of sophomore year.

Fuck state education.
>>
>>6453186
pedagogy
>>
>>6453457
It's sociology. The people who study gender do surveys and observe people in their natural environments and shit.
>>
>>6453520
lol matthew pls go
>>
>Be particle physicist
>Working at CERN
Probably the most stress-free job there is for a physicist. You seriously wake up every morning hyped to see what the fuck is going to happen today when you crash protons together at 14-15TeV (in 2015). Every day you will learn something new and it's always exciting to hear what other physicists have discovered around the world.
>>
Everythingology
>>
>>6453186
It really depends on your talents, and how good you want to be.

I'm studying maths and I've got a friend who doesn't really give much time into studying, and still writes 1,0's.
I, on the other hand, spend nearly all day studying in the first year, which was a hard time, but worth it.

Same goes for meds, just with the difference that you can't beat it with pure talent, i guess you have to do more. But i also know some meds and they're drunk all week.
>>
Biological Anthropology
>>
Physic is way harder than math

With Physics, you actually have to try and understand what's going on, but with math, all a math student cares about is "lol here's the answer, next question!". They don't try to physically answer what's happening?
>>
>>6453236
>differential equations
top lel
>mfw there are people who think mathematicians just sit around solving pdes
>>
>>6454002
I blame this misconception on the fact that most math undergrads don't give two shits about math and don't like proving things that aren't trivial. You can get by not giving a shit in your first year real analysis class but try that in a homological algebra class or a functional analysis class and watch what happens.
>>
Top, hardest Undergrads:
-Double Phys Math
-Double Chem Phys

>>6453861
the dream
>>6454221
well, how do you expect undergrads to do non-trivial proofs? That's pretty stupid of you to to say....
>>
>>6454501
sorry, i mis-read your post
>>6454221
ya, it seems like math is for people that are smart but don't really have much passion for school

luckily the honors math program at my school weeds pretty hard in the first semester so by secound semester it's pretty good
>>
Depends entirely on the school, the teachers you happen to get while taking courses, and the grade you are trying to get.

I'm sure there is a school out there that has a harder sociology program than another school's aerospace engineering program.
>>
nuclear engineering
>>
>>6454196
What would a math major even do as a job?
>>
>>6454875
I get what you mean, but i do doubt there is a sociology class somewhere in the wolrd thats harder then areospace engineering
>>
>>6453260
yeah, you're a fag. If doctors never failed, your aids would have been cured .
>>
>>6453236
>70 hour weeks for architecture students
This is true. A few can land a nice gig where they know some richfags, and all they have to do is add a few scribbles to a plan that intern slaves have painstakingly drawn every other week, then go back to posting on facebook about how misogyny is the reason they make only 200k and not 500k. But the opportunity for this rare, and it is hard to actually land.

>pre-med undergrads have to deal with the fact that 4.0 GPAs are a bare minimum
No, average GPAs for admitted students range between 3.2 and 3.85. I'm sure the minimum in each class is much less.

>routinely retake classes they got an A- in because
This is not routine. If you had half your classes A- and half A, your GPA would be 3.75 and it would take a year and a half to increase it to 4.0. That year and a half could be better spent on research, clubs, MCAT study, or other things that have more impact on your admissions.

>deal with all the demands of any other grad school
Like publish or perish culture? Difficult, predatory research supervisors? Your lab losing funding halfway through your PhD? Uncooperative PhD thesis committees? Shit stipend, coupled to the very real danger of being unemployed when they graduate?

Obviously they also face stress, of different kind and perhaps bigger than grad students. But it certainly isn't "all the demands of any other grad school".
>>
>>6453465
Instead of making such rules, why don't they just make the people who built it freely available, so that citizens can do their own research and if they don't think the bridge sounds sturdy enough, they can simply refuse to use it?
>>
>>6453861
It's always nice to work in famous labs or institutes like that: The other research going on is always cool and interesting, and the rest of your lab always has cool projects that you can collaborate on and get on nice publications.

The flipside is that it is very hard to compete, and if you don't watch it you can easily start feeling like a worthless imbecile.
>>
>>6454970
>so that citizens can do their own research and if they don't think the bridge sounds sturdy enough, they can simply refuse to use it?
>letting average citizens decide on the safety and functionality of any type of engineering design
that's what the experts are for
>>
>>6454973
>>letting average citizens decide on the safety and functionality of any type of engineering design
They can just make a sort of Yelp for bridges. Then you can take only bridges with 4.5 stars or more, or maybe if you're very old and disillusioned you can go as far as 2 stars.
>>
>>6454975
i suppose we should do that with new reactors being built too
>>
>>6454978
Sure, why not? They can have stars that show how likely it is to explode, and they can have skulls to show how damaging it would be.

Same as how you can sort based on distance, price or rating on Yelp, you can sort reactors based on stars (likelihood of problems), skulls (magnitude of damage if an accident occurs) and blast radius to decide which one to buy power from.
>>
File: swiftlaugh.gif (975KB, 500x245px) Image search: [Google]
swiftlaugh.gif
975KB, 500x245px
>>6453295
>medicine is the hardest thing
>>
Math graduate here.

It was pretty easy. I could just lie in bed with a few slim books and pen and paper, and as I was smart, get As.
>>
>>6453260
and if a mathematician fucks up--owait mathematicians don't fuck up. Suck on that engineerfag
>>
>>6453236
>tfw double digit iq biofag shitposting
>>
Mathematics.

Proof: mathematics students at the top universities are way more intelligent than physics students or any other subject's students.
>>
How hard and useful is going to a graduate program for math?
>>
>>6454983
>blast radius
I get the feeling, reactors near metropolitan areas would gain in popularity
>>
>>6453542
2spooky4me

Watching amerifats in their natural habitat all day would be stressful. But what about politicians who have to deal with anti science freaks?
>>
File: synthesis1.png (987KB, 1180x2012px) Image search: [Google]
synthesis1.png
987KB, 1180x2012px
Don't know if it's the most difficult, but Photonic Engineering has thrown me quite a few curveballs so far.
Pic related, Lab Prof's idea of an introduction to MATLAB.
>lel by the way MATLAB is important, so go produce theoretical analogs for your various Fraunhoffer far-field diffraction images by the end of tomorrow
>>
>>6455050

>mathematicians don't fuck up
Only in choosing a major.
>>
Computer Science Engineering is harder than math. You have to have a solid understanding of math, physics, and engineering.
>>
>>6453186

Hardest major? As far as "hardest" it's too individual.

Also, anyone can make anything arbitrarily hard by being a dick. At least, that's what I learned doing my PhD and working for an overrated jackass who was way past his prime.
>>
law is the hardest subject. most politicians are lawyers anyway.

math is pleb tier. have fun having 0 influence on the real world
>>
>>6458183
lol'd

>Law
>Influence on the world: Holding society back.

>Math
>Influence on the world: Paving the way for society to move forward.
>>
>>6458204
>Paving the way for society to move forward
>abstract concepts that have 0 basis in reality

okay buddy
>>
>>6458210
Typical way in which pure mathematics affects the world.

>1800s - Pure mathfags putting lots of work into the wave equation despite no one being able to think of a possible use for waves.
>1864 - Maxwell produces a bunch of equations to describe electrical phenomena. A simple manipulation of said equations then produce the wave equation, which leads Maxwell to predict the existence of Electrical Waves.
>1888 - Hertz confirms Maxwell's predictions experimentally by detecting radio waves in a laboratory.
>1896 - Marconi makes the first radio transmission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_equation
>>
File: 1390664020583.jpg (12KB, 229x221px) Image search: [Google]
1390664020583.jpg
12KB, 229x221px
>>6458210
yeah, clearly you are not thinking too hard about this. Pure math may seem unapplicable to you and some of it may not be applied to any scientific field yet, but eventually, every field will have a mathematical model that supports it. Algebraic fields like tensors and the like may seem very weird at first glance, but they can be applied to control theory with the use of some more advanced linear algebra.

tl;dr shut the fuck up and suck my mathematical dick
>>
>>6458237
Typical way in which law affects the real world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Theory_of_Law

Brotip: Humans would easily survive without radios. Without laws, there would be no society.
>>
>>6458245
no, without society we'd have no laws
>>
>>6458247
without society we wouldn't have anything so you're not saying much
>>
>>6458249
we'd have freedom
>>
File: george breaking bad.png (112KB, 890x890px) Image search: [Google]
george breaking bad.png
112KB, 890x890px
>>6458245
>Brotip: Humans would easily survive without radios. Without laws, there would be no society.
>Actually believing this.

ahahaha yea, the first thing that comes to mind whenever I think about doing something unethical is whether or not it's against the law. This is also why everyone has a clear and complete understanding of the law and why laws are never broken, especially not by accident.
>>
>yfw nuclear engineering requires basically an additional semesters worth of credits more than EE or ME and the others to graduate, and they fit that into the standard 4 year plan.
>>
Math is quite easy to me.
>>
Hardest in terms of course load is ChemE or Computer Engineering, at least at my school
As a ChemE I've had to take a minimum of 12 techincal units every single semester just to graduate in 4 years.

Conceptually though, it's a matter of what you're good at. I refuse to believe that any material is inherently harder than others, it's just a matter of how easily one takes to process it.
>>
>>6458351
I'm studying Chemical Engineering in Denmark, and I find the mathematics and the mathematical branches of chemical engineering are easier to learn than the pure chemistry.
However I think it's individually what people find hardest. The key is to love what you do I guess, noone said university should be easy.
>>
File: nucl engr plan of study.png (127KB, 729x453px) Image search: [Google]
nucl engr plan of study.png
127KB, 729x453px
>>6458351
>Hardest in terms of course load is ChemE or Computer Engineering, at least at my school
this is what the nucl plan of study looks like at my school
>>
>>6458380
Im studying Chem. Eng. I have the same amount of credits in 4 years as well. Jealous of my sociology major roommates workload.
>>
>>6458425
iktf. i live with a EE and a phys ed major.
>mfw he switched majors from pharmacy to aviation to history to phys ed
>mfw he once said to me that his 200 level anatomy class was hard and Im lucky that i dont have to take it
>>
>>6453209
If you're a phd maybe
>>
>>6454915

They can be code monkeys (anybody can... I don't get why people think you have to study comp sci to be a code monkey, or that programming is the main thing computer scientists do), actuaries, teachers, risk management.

With an MS or a PhD, they can work in finance and make big bucks modeling and pricing derivatives, or doing high frequency trading.
>>
>>6458183
is this fucker actually being serious?
>>
pick the harder /sci/:
electrical engineering or nuclear engineering
>>
Chem E guy here, The major is not that hard conceptually because I rarely get tested on theory, but the amount of bullshit that I have to go through is astronomical. I actually learned a fair bit of applied math (PDEs and fourier analysis), not at a level of math/physics persons, but still fair. Most of the time my classes only need me to take a derivative or integrals or a simple ode, all that time learning mutlivariable calc, vector calc, etc was wasted.

I have a few classes based that are only about getting the right number, and I have some classes that are more theoretical. It's a mixed bag.
>>
>>6460383
Where are you at academically? Undergrad?

ChE doesn't challenge any scientific cognition until graduate school, and even that's not a given. In my department, there are multiple grad students that didn't know what boundary conditions were until grad school. Somehow they're all NSF fellows too. Pisses me the fuck off.
>>
There's no really "hard" major. What is easy is what you are naturally good at, or have had extensive training in prior to your major. What is hard is what doesn't come naturally to you.

People who are bad at math will obviously see math as a hard major but there are people who find math easy or had top tier education in math since childhood and as such they don't find it difficult as their brain is wired for that kind of logic.

A math major may find a major less wired in objectivity (most liberal arts majors) harder as their brain hasn't made the connections that allow that kind of work to be done faster with less effort.

My high school education was much heavier in liberal arts than math and science unfortunately and I came out well equipped to write papers but poorly equipped to become an engineer. My first couple of semesters of college were kind of rough when I was transitioning but math has become considerably easier for me now. Conversely I now find writing harder than I used to.
>>
>>6458380
I have always wondered about nuclear science studies, is that a legitimate degree or a concentration?
>>
>>6460497
general plan of study. TE stands for tech elective so basically any engineering or physics class 300+ level and GE is gen ed so shit like soc and philosophy
>>
>>6460497
>>6460535
so basically thats what you have to take with certain selections of your choice in technical electives to earn a nuclear engineering degree
>>
>>6460419
This guy gets it.

I'm working on a math degree after doing foreign languages (nobody offers semantics, it's all literature); they're honestly about the same difficulty.

but now i can conjugate verbs without thinking. yay. it's about as useful as triple integrals.
>>
>>6453186
Yes, your shitpost is math.
>>
>>6460418

junior year undergrad. I'm really hoping my senior year mass transfer, transport phenomena and physical chemistry courses will be more interesting. Capstone deisng project is all about making money for oil companies/
>>
>>6453236

Hilarious. If anybody has ever wondered why any rumor of difficulty exists for Organic Chemistry or Calculus, you can blame the pre-med students. These classes are relatively easy compared to most STEM courses, but their perceived difficulty is blown up because the pre-med idiots can't even make it through either of these the first time.

You shouldn't be struggling with grades in a pre-med major. The classes are very straight-forward. However, I won't argue that med school is demanding, but we're talking about majors here.

As far as most difficult major is concerned, I would say it depends on the program. Depending on the school, some programs of STEM might be generally harder than others. It seems like math is generally a harder major.

So please, pre-madfags, fuck off. You fuckers can barely scrape through introductory Physics 1 and 2.
>>
Getting a Phd at a elite university is the hardest thing - major doesn't matter.

Imagine getting thrown off a boat, drowning a little, thrown a lifesaver - but not pulled back on the boat, and allowed to wade in the cold water with the sharks indefinitely while periodically being threatened with the prospect of having your life saver removed by those on the boat.

Welcome to the reality of PhD life.
>>
>>6453186
Hardest major is the one you don't understand
>>
>>6460614
What even makes O-Chem so difficult for people? I scraped an A with almost no effort, and can explain most of the trends. Why do others have so much trouble with Ochem, yet they can do physics and/or memorize every vein and edifice of the body?
>>
>>6453466
Math and physics is straightforward and logical. Chemistry requires strong knowledge of math and physics, but has so many shortcuts you're rarely required to recall/practice it. On top of that, it suffers from a bad case of "old white guy naming syndrome," along with historical roots in sorcery, cooking, and pseudoscience. Couple this with a tendency to stress vague generalizations over rigorous proofs, and you basically have a mixture of every major form of intelligence (logic, memory, and abstract thought).
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.