[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you have literal, medical diagnosed autism?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 14

File: 1502313019732.jpg (45KB, 620x367px) Image search: [Google]
1502313019732.jpg
45KB, 620x367px
How many of you have literal, medical diagnosed autism?
>>
And how has it helped you
>>
>TFW diagnosed with Aspergers at age 7
>TFW 20 now and no friends
>>
>>39472078
> Diagnosed at age 10
> Parents told me at age 19
> Started living up to it.
>>
>>39472078
>>39472248
I don't think I do but 5 of my 7 therapists seemed to think so.

>And how has it helped you
Literally has made no difference in my life. Psychology is my passion, but fuck this field for giving learning disability diagnoses for behavioral things that aren't THAT abnormal. Like, I don't have sensory sensitivity, I don't hand flap, etc.

>>39472824
I forget what it's called, but there is a concept in psychology that describes what you've gone through - learning of a diagnosis and having it become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
>>
>school psychologists' diagnosis: autistic spectrum/asperger's
>current psychiatrist's diagnosis: mdd, ptsd, avpd
>state psychologist diagnosis (when applying for ssi): schizophrenic and bipolar

It's a confusing feel.
>>
Reporting in. 23 year old. I was a maniac until 20, after which it seems I burned out. Last IQ test was at 20 years old, came out to be 143. I am sure now it has gone down to 90 or something. I haven't read a book in 3 years, and I used to read a whole book in a day. Now I only think about suicide. I was smart and not lazy. Now I'm dumb and lazy. I'm a shadow of my former self. Kill me , unironically. I have never felt love, I have never felt attraction to a female except 2D ones unironically. I didn't even knew about the whole waifu thing earlier. Please kill me you can have my gaming PC(it has Nier Automata and emulators with all fire emblem games on it), my 3DS(homebrew access), and my laptop(it also has 7GB of H-doujins/mangas on it, morrowind and nobunaga's ambition, and a few ebooks I saved years ago for reading).
>>
File: Autism.png (75KB, 988x736px) Image search: [Google]
Autism.png
75KB, 988x736px
>>39472078
No but I have this.
Do I win anything?
>>
>>39472977
Forgot to mention I'm late-twenties right now.
>>
>>39472078
Autism is insanely overdiagnosed by mental health professionals trying to build business

There are lots of people with meme-diagnoses
>>
>>39472977
Wow it's almost as if most of the professionals in this field are idiots and don't follow any sort of standardization
>>
>>39473041
Nope.
>Autism SPECTRUM Disorder
>often suffer from SEVERE impairment

>test doesn't even realize the most severe the autism the more rare it is
I also take issue with it saying everyone with it automatically "suffers" from it. I have known many happy people with ASD.

>>39473059
>late-twenties
Then at the very least what your school psych said is probably obsolete.
>>
>>39473121
Fuck off

autism spectrum DISORDER

Meaning that it must affect your functionality to be clinically significant, by definition.
>>
>>39472824
>> Diagnosed at age 10
>> Parents told me at age 19

How could possibly not remember your diagnosis?
>>
File: indifferent-pepe.jpg (42KB, 500x441px) Image search: [Google]
indifferent-pepe.jpg
42KB, 500x441px
>>39473121
>Then at the very least what your school psych said is probably obsolete.
Probably. I used to do psychology myself in early twenties, and one of the things about autism in adults is that they retain child-like characteristics. Which, when found in suspected autistic children, might be misread as part of that disorder due to confirmation bias.

Plus, I do remember that on the reports the school psychologists had on me, it included stuff I used to express beliefs in as a kid. Beliefs that, as an adult, I now know to be bullshit.
>>
>go to psychiatrist
>after a few visits he says he suspects I have autism
>feel like crying because it's something I've always feared and something my mother has always pushed
>he keeps suggesting I get on autismbux
>refuse because I don't want to live the autism lifestyle

I still don't think I have it though, I think it's a meme diagnosis. I think I just had so much depression that it essentially rotted away my brain and personality and now I'm a shell of a human that might as well have committed suicide a decade ago.
>>
File: 1503523498570.jpg (31KB, 509x625px) Image search: [Google]
1503523498570.jpg
31KB, 509x625px
>>39473299

Nobody tells you when you are diagnosed as an adolescent. Your parents and the doctor who told you can keep it from you

I was diagnosed at 8 not told until I was 16. I didn't think about it at all until the symptoms really started to flare up when I was an adult. Now I am really bitter nobody really did anything about it and now I'm stuck with shit insurance and poor so I can't seek help myself.
>>
>>39473442

>doctor who told you
Meant doctor who diagnosed you.
>>
File: 1503456955779.png (1MB, 1926x1091px) Image search: [Google]
1503456955779.png
1MB, 1926x1091px
>>39473367
Same thing happened to me but got the autismbux. Not sure if my life got better or worse from it.
>>
File: thisisit.png (7KB, 578x141px) Image search: [Google]
thisisit.png
7KB, 578x141px
>>39473041
Haha, this test can fuck off.
>>
>>39473159
You really think mental heath professionals would do that, give you a diagnosis that doesn't describe your situation when there are mad incentives to do so?

>>39473635
From a comfort standpoint, significantly better. From a developmental/growth perspective (if that matters to you at all), much much worse. After all, why bother trying now?
>>
>>39473702
What? They give a third option for respondents who aren't male nor female. Like robots.
>>
>>39473299
It was not like i sit there with my parents and the psych tells me well your autistic.
Parents told me i had to see the doctor because i didnt realise what i said to people. Later on they told me i had to take this class just like inmates do.
>>
>>39473121
>I also take issue with it saying everyone with it automatically "suffers" from it. I have known many happy people with ASD.
I have known many happy people with worse things than ASD, that doesn't prove anything. If you were desperate enough to consult a psychologist on your problems and get a diagnosis, it's fair to say you suffer from it.
>>
>>39472078
Does Asperger's count?

oregano
>>
>>39473702
I think choosing that option counts towards your score, anon
>>
>>39473987
Asperger's syndrome has been merged with autism and PDD-NOS into autism spectrum disorder as of the DSM V. If you were to be diagnosed now, you'd likely get ASD.
>>
>>39473984
>If you were desperate enough to consult a psychologist on your problems
>what is being a minor and being forced to go?
>what is going in for unrelated issues and walking out with an ASD diagnosis?
>>
File: Edited_ (1).jpg (8KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
Edited_ (1).jpg
8KB, 288x288px
>>39472078
>be 23
>have to stay at a hospital because i was stupid enough to disclose i have a precise plan to shoot myself
>while i'm there, doctor diagnoses me as l i t e r a l l y u n i r o n i c a l l y autistic
>yearn for death even more, despite strong meds
>stuck there for five days
>released with 1500$ bill
>tfw no insurance
>i get home wanting to die more than before i left
>mfw gun is completely hidden by parents
>"t-that gun doesn't even shoot anyway anon. guess you should forget about it!"

it's been a year and i still can't find it
>>
>>39474070
Taking your gun was uncalled for, best or luck with that, anon
>>
>>39474095
it was their gun, to be fair. taking my way out was uncalled for though
>>
File: 1468007746357s.jpg (9KB, 240x250px) Image search: [Google]
1468007746357s.jpg
9KB, 240x250px
autism is not real.
it is a made up """""disease""""" like ADHD
get over yourselves pepo
>>
Diagnosed with aspergers a year ago, now almost 21. It helped me a lot since I now know why I was so different and awkward growing up so I can forgive myself for all the dumb autistic shit I've done over the years. Ever since I've been working out cope strategies and am getting close to pseudo-normie :)
>>
File: 1503729869190.png (115KB, 326x226px) Image search: [Google]
1503729869190.png
115KB, 326x226px
>>39474070

This is what life is like for burgerstannies. The whole social Darwinism thing just devolved into plain old Darwinism. They diagnosed you with a disorder of social and executive functioning impaitment (something outside of your control) and expect you to compensate them, the only way to do that is aquiring wealth, something that requires social and executive functioning competency.

Don't kill yourself anon and nobody should feel like they have to. But I can understand why you feel you need to find your gun.
>>
>>39473012
Same here, when I was around 20 I was flying so high, doing group assignments for uni alone and teaching people on the side how to program.
Then at around 22 I got depressed and failed classes. All the people I helped graduated before me. Now I'm 25 and even simple programming tasks take effort for me, when I read code I wrote back then, I can't actually believe I wrote it.
Diagnosed with Asperger's btw. The ride just never ends.
>>
File: download (4).jpg (4KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
4KB, 240x160px
>>39473012
>>39474206

What the Fuck?

I went on this same exact ride. Rode high at a similar age and declined at a similar age also. My story was I was a pre med student had a 3.7 GPA up until senior year when I declined hard and ultimately failed the last class I needed to graduate thus throwing me into rock bottom.

I climbed out since. Took that course again passed and found a job related to my field but left yesterday to pursue a masters. I also got in touch with the university psych department. I am receiving a call from them friday. I am becoming a doctor and never going through that again. Pic related
>>
>>39474360
Good for you anon!
I have a job in software engineering now, wich I kind of hate. I wanted to be a game developer back then, but the fire in me has died out and I don't even know what I'm living for anymore.
>>
File: 1504034647927.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1504034647927.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
>>39472078
I got diagnosed with it when I was seven. It should've been obvious but my parents kept denying it, and when the therapist told them I was hopelessly autistic they simply stopped taking me to therapy and forced me to keep trying to be normal. They then got in an argument with the principal at my school and refused to let me get put into special ed. At the end of it, I'm honestly glad they did that. I live on the fringe of society, but at least I can support myself and didn't have to be in the retard class. My childhood was tough but I believe I have beaten autism for the most part. Sometimes I wonder if I'd be happier on NEETbux though, but I'm too scared to try to go to a disability office and apply for it.
>>
>>39474201
thank you famalam. everything is just so hard
>>
File: 1504123214017.png (139KB, 394x360px) Image search: [Google]
1504123214017.png
139KB, 394x360px
>>39472824
>>39473299
>>39473442
>>39474522

AHHHHHHHHHHHH

WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK

WHY DO PARENTS DO THIS? WHY ARE THEY IN COMPLETE DENIAL AND THEN WONDER WHY THEIR SPERG CHILD CAN'T FUNCTION WHEN IT GROWS UP? THIS SHOULD BE GROUNDS FOR ABUSE HOLY FUCK.
>>
File: 1496310220888.png (285KB, 629x608px) Image search: [Google]
1496310220888.png
285KB, 629x608px
>>39474522
>>39474657
>youngest brother got diagnosed with autism, parents deny the shit out of it
>does sperg shit like run around the dining room table for an hour every day
>literal screeching if he gets too frustrated
>has no friends
>brothers used to laugh at him because he covered his ears when he thought something scary was going to happen during a horror movie. I realized it wasn't because he was scared but because the movies were fucking loud whenever it pulled some jump-scare/horror bullshit
>used to tease him about some autism social-skills book that had the word "autism" on the cover scribbled out with a sharpie I found that I thought was for him.
>parents tell me that it was bought for me.
>remember taking tons of speech therapy as a child
>remember mom sending me to therapy
>remember my mom stopped taking me to therapy after a certain point saying nothing other than claiming my doctor was a quack
>remember taking spastic pills
>remember having no friends
>mom do I have autism
>no
>>
>>39472824
Im in a similar boat
>diagnosed with OCD
>started developibg compulsions
>already hadobsessions before

The doctors figured out i have hypochondria aswell because of that
>>
>>39472078
I am diagnosed with autism. People think I am joking when I'm not.

>>39472248
it has not, as far as I can tell.
>>
>>39474070
>have to stay at a hospital because i was stupid enough to disclose i have a precise plan to shoot myself
damnit dude, dont they tell you beforehand that if you plan to kill yourself you'll be institutionalized?
>>
>>39472824
Shit, sometimes I wonder if my parents know something about my mental health that I don't. I hope this isn't the case
>>
>>39475169
at the time i don't recall anyone saying this, though i'm sure it was likely in a waiver i had to sign or something.
>>
File: 1492987968909.png (554KB, 716x520px) Image search: [Google]
1492987968909.png
554KB, 716x520px
>>39472078
I am a rare autistic "female".
i do not consider myself a true female due to high testosterone levels present and deformed "ovaries".
I am detached from the idea of biological sex and gender because I feel that nature slighted me by not making me a normal girl or boy.
>>
>>39474657
>WHY DO PARENTS DO THIS? WHY ARE THEY IN COMPLETE DENIAL AND THEN WONDER WHY THEIR SPERG CHILD CAN'T FUNCTION WHEN IT GROWS UP?
My parents refused to let me go into special ed because they didn't want the shame of having a retarded kid. They kept trying to make me become normal and pushed me to do social things like school dances but when I got around to moving out I sat down with them and explained that I will never have a family of my own. I will never have a great career. I'm simply socially deficit, I can't climb any ladders, but I am at least capable of supporting myself. They seemed to accept it at that point, now they tell people that I'm too focused on my hobbies to focus on work or girls. At the end of the day it's all to make themselves feel better about themselves. I believe this is what happens to many parents; they see children as a measurement of how successful they are. They refuse to believe that their kids can be below average. It of course puts a toll on the child (I used to think I HAD to go to college even though going to college was hell for me), but parents (at least mine) seem to selfishly love children rather than having genuine love and hoping for their offspring to be happy in their own way.
>>
>>39475252
from my experience with shrinks it was told to me directly
>>
>>39472824
My mom did the same with ADD and I know shes hiding more from me
>>
>>39472977
psychology is a meme
even the professors that teach psychology know its a meme and will tell you this first hand. Theres a lot of people that don't know what they're doing and theres few ways to prove that. It's the reason I get mad whenever people say psychological evaluations should be mandatory for something because its a fucking meme and all the "professionals" in the field often have no fucking idea what they're doing.
>>
>>39475270
Normalfags disgust me

>>39475046
What the fuck
>>
>>39475267
I'm pretty sure my sister is autistic. She refuses to drink anything but one type of lemonade. Takes that lemonade with her wherever she goes. Has a hard time making friends. Speaks in a baby voice whenever she feels threatened or otherwise uncomfortable. Terrified of new things or places.
I'm autistic and my dad probably is too.
>>
>this whole thread

See this post: >>39475720
>>
>>39472078
I have and the only thing i can remember that it helped me is that i got a free lifetime bus pass and broke someone's nose without punishment in school 2 years ago
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.