[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

War

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: firing line.jpg (129KB, 1680x945px) Image search: [Google]
firing line.jpg
129KB, 1680x945px
Study of The Art of War
I think if anyone can appreciate it, it'll be /r9k/.
I've started a series of basic overviews using Anime as functional examples of the basic principles.
But I think there's more to discuss than that, so I wonder: what do the /r9k/bots think?
Article: https://creators.co/@Jono/4363082
>>
>>39446759
That's an uncoordinated firing line anon, and a bad example.
A better example would be as follows.

Three lines of 12.
First line kneeling, second line with their weapons raised above to provide coverfire for first line, 3rd line prone.
When life 1 fires it withdraws and goes behind line 3 to reload, line two walks forward several feet with line 3 to cover, then crouches and fires. It then repeats with a line going forward several steps, firing, withdrawing and reloading.

That way your gaining ground and you don't leave yourself fully open.
Ofcourse it's completely different if long range weapons like artillery are into play.
>>
>>39446823
Well that's kind of the point.
Before that scene they've been decimated by a superior force, and after this scene, they're pretty much wiped out.
Anime is Saga of Tanya the Evil
>>
>>39446858
I've never seen it so didn't know that part.
I know a lot about military tactics since I play a lot of strategic things like Total War. I also have a copy of Sun Tzu's AoW. It reads quite like a poem.
>>
>>39446891
I've read/listened to it quite a few times.
Sometimes I play the audiobook while I'm sleeping.
That's how I've noticed a lot of direct analogues used in fiction.
Anime seems to have the most graphically demonstrable usage, which makes it perfect for explaining to people who don't understand in just text.
>>
>>39446759
That is a fantasy anime, magicbullets and stuff. I recommend playing some Total war games. Remember, war is also about economics and information so better look into that as well
>>
>>39448198
Oh yes, RTS games were my JAM until EA ruined them with C&C4...
And of course I apply the AoW to games like League, but if I'm the only one doing that it's not always effective.
I had hoped this would become a discussion about the Art of War itself though...
>>
File: 1378514653387.jpg (63KB, 577x622px) Image search: [Google]
1378514653387.jpg
63KB, 577x622px
Just read fucking books, mate, not by playing games or watching anime. (although I love Saga of Tanya the Evil).
What military stuff do you want? Ancient? XVIIIth century? WW2 like Deep Operations? I can recommend some books.
>>
>>39448596
I wouldn't know where to start. I'm new to this whole thing. What would you recommend for a beginner like I? I guess something modern. Something that could be used now. Also, perhaps strategy for ancient style no bombs or tanks but strategies where you only use spears and bows and stuff.

Catching my drift?
>>
>>39448596
>>39448660

There's a link in the article to a direct translation. I'm using that translation as the source material for the series.
I'm writing the articles for people who have a hard time grasping concepts without visual aids.
Hoping that with that as a base they'll be able to expand their knowledge in the future.
>>
File: 1363890841268.jpg (96KB, 429x408px) Image search: [Google]
1363890841268.jpg
96KB, 429x408px
>>39448660
If you want something modern, but not "too modern". Then read Clausewitz's "On War", a fantastic read tbqh, he fought in the Napoleonic Wars as well. If you want more ancient, then "Warfare in the Ancient World" by John Warry is also a good start. "Roman Battle Tactics, 109 BC - AD 313" by Ross Cowan was also a decent read imo.
If you want something more WW2 oriented and focused on the USSR, David M. Glantz "Soviet Military Operational Art: In Pursuit of Deep Battle" is your go to book.

>>39448714
Very strange way of explaining Sun Tzu's philosophy, but go ahead. Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting way of explaining it, but I'd think it'd be even more interesting/relevant if you provided historical examples of Sun Tzu's philosophy/ideas put in practice.
>>
>>39448798
And I intend to flesh it out alot more in the following articles, where he gets into the nitty-gritty of actually waging war.
There's a lot more deep strategy demonstrated in Anime than most people think, and I intend to use a lot of that.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.