[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any computer scientists on here? I'm about to start a compsci

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: cosplaying.jpg (15KB, 236x353px) Image search: [Google]
cosplaying.jpg
15KB, 236x353px
Any computer scientists on here?

I'm about to start a compsci degree and I was wondering if anyone has any advice.

I had this illusion that a lot of programmers start with a blank page and write their stuff from scratch, but I'm increasingly coming to learn that's rarely what you'll be doing.

Will I be replaced by a pajeet? I hear there's demand for compsci grads and at the same time that there isn't.

What should I focus on? just learn as many languages as possible? what kind of specializations are in demand? I know AI is huge but I figure that's really top end stuff for phDs in comp sci
>>
Just do your work in school and don't just get a degree. Get some certs while you're at it. Search around for jobs that are at or a bit above your skill level so that you're not stuck at some shitty helpdesk job because you applied at the first 'computer job' on a job board.
>>
>>39409379
Reporting in.

>Will I be replaced by a pajeet?
Depends. My team has more Indian workers than American. I don't know if this can be generalized to every place.

Focus on learning CS fundamentals, algorithms, and take some courses in Machine learning/data science (both are in huge demand). Learn distributed systems as well. I dont know. I actually do not like this field now that i'm in it.
>>
I'm doing a conversion masters to CS next year. What sort of stuff should I be doing to prepare? The only thing related to it that I've done is editing game files. What sort of certs can I get, and can I do them before learning anything about CS?
>>
Something you should know about computer science: It's not about programming vidya games; it's not actually about programming at all. It's about symbol manipulation and math.
Lots of math. If you think you are ever done with math, you're wrong.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170817225126.png (693KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170817225126.png
693KB, 1920x1080px
Any questions for a 4th year CS student at tOSU?
>>
File: a57n6Vo_700b.jpg (93KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
a57n6Vo_700b.jpg
93KB, 600x800px
>>39409679
are there any really important certs that are "must haves" in your opinion?

>>39409750
thanks im making some notes here

>>39410165
video game programming is a lot heavier in math than other fields right?

>>39410410
how do i get a job
>>
>>39409679
>>39409379
Yeah in this field you're almost better chasing certs than you are getting a degree.

If you have your A+, Network+, and Security+ Cert you can get a system admin job just about anywhere.
>>
>>39410568
awesome thank-you
>>
>>39410556
>>39410568
Same as in ^^

Also try to get your MTAs and get your CCENT or CCNA if you're going more sys admin side
>>
>>39410907
do you think sys admin jobs will be in demand?
>>
Is it a good plan to get into machine learning?
>>
File: fookme.jpg (50KB, 311x311px) Image search: [Google]
fookme.jpg
50KB, 311x311px
>>39410959
There's a lot of companies with networks.

I live in a metropolitan area and there are 876 jobs for 'system administrator' within the city. It all depends on where you live and the needs of a company for what they need. You can also specialize in a certain area of IT such as hardware tech, cloud computation/admin/design/tech, security, client-side, software design/technician, ect.

I currently have my FCC certs for radio, aviation, and radar (element 1, 3, and 8), one useless AT for radio/telecom, an AT for just IT shit, a FOA cert, A+, Security+, Network+, CCNA, MTAs for design/infrastructure/database, MCPD, various IEEE stuff, and some copper cert I haven't renewed.

But, the hardest thing about IT is getting an entry level job, because of the contradiction that you need 3 to 5 years of experience for an entry level job. I'm not sure about comp sci, tho.
>>
>>39411269
Not him, I heard the most valuable cert was the OSCP. Is this true?
Are sysadmin jobs more cushy than developer jobs?
>>
>>39409379
Recently graduated from a pretty shitty uni in the UK with a first in comp sci.
Wondered the same question for the first 2 years. What was I going to get as a job that Pajeet wouldn't do for half the wage in half the time?
I went into the course completely blind. Came to find that I really enjoyed programming and focused on that.
But being good a programming just felt like being good at writing, an okay skill to have but not very impressive in terms of landing a career.
During the summer before my final year I attended a 10 week cyber security course that completely shifted where I'd be heading.
From things like exploiting vulnerable machines and delivering payloads to reverse engineering and malware analysis they were all very fun to learn and were clearly very specific yet useful skills.
Returning to my final year I sort of wished I'd started with an ethical hacking degree but managed to score a job as a Penetration Tester after I'd graduated.
Now that I'm in the field it's clear there is huge demand for graduates and given it's all about security they're much more reluctant to hire Pajeet and Rajeesh.

So if you haven't considered it before, I know I hadn't starting uni, look into ethical hacking and cyber security. Its a huge field with a clear progression in terms of certs. My only complaint so far is that there's not enough programming.

But if you have an interest in AI then definitely pursue it. You can make some pretty impressive things with only a basic knowledge of machine learning. It's not as scary as it looks once you get stuck in.

Feel free to ask any questions
>>
>>39411359
>there's not enough programming.
Just do vuln research
>>
>>39411359
In terms of growth, salary, and job market outlook, is it better to go into AI or infosec?
>You can make some pretty impressive things with only a basic knowledge of machine learning
Such as, for example? Do I need to be exceptionally good at math?
>>
>>39411359
What uni mate? What A-levels did you have and how much maths was there on the course?
>>
>>39411382
Yeah there's definitely options out there that would allow me to do more. For now I'm just learning as much as I can about all this stuff that's relatively new to me. Passed my CPSA a few weeks ago and aiming for the CRT next.
>>39411433
Can't speak much for the Job market of AI but infosec looks very promising. The fact that there are so many certs out there makes it easy to see what to aim for in the future with an expected pay rise after each.
Never did too much of AI past what was taught on the course but for a project I created an object recognition system using a Kinect sensor. You show it a thing and it tells you what thing it is. The artificial neural network behind it could learn new objects as it trained with surprisingly good accuracy. Sounds fairly dull but it was fun to learn and seeing it work was very rewarding. Not too much maths per se but requires a similar mindset, understanding algorithms and approaching problems logically.
>>39411495
Northumbria in Newcastle, went in witch a B, C, D and Distinction in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and IT respectively. Honestly not too much unless I looked for it
>>
theres demand for talented programmers who dream in code
>>
>>39411359
when you say a clear progression of certs.. Is it clear for a graduate with a job like yourself or for anyone? could you elaborate on the progression if you're still here or have a moment
>>
>>39409379
Half of your year will be pajeets and the other half will have taken the course without ever programming before.
Half the people I spoke to on my course seemed to absolutely hate programming.
If you're coming to this board and have also done some programming before you should breeze through.

t. person at an AAB university who got the highest marks out of the whole year when I'd literally never programmed until a year before
>>
>>39413487
As I can only speak as a grad I'm not too sure but I don't see why it wouldn't work for anyone.
I had no idea about the certs until I'd got the job just from my degree, but they were also looking for people with just the CPSA and no degree to be hired for the same role.
I'd say it would definitely be easier to get a first job with a degree but once you've got one and you're moving up the certs the degree is almost a non-factor.
I'm definitely thankful for my degree as I had no idea what I wanted to do but if youve got your sights set already I see little issue going straight for the certs.
And I'm only going for the CREST certs at the moment as that's the standard my company follow, there's others out there that other companies would prefer to see so there's a lot of choice.
>>
File: aaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg (112KB, 597x519px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
112KB, 597x519px
>>39409379
>>39410556
>tfw horny all the time but can't get a boner unless I touch myself because of the antidepressants
>>
>>39409379
Don't go for Comp Sci. Learn information security. The field is exploding right now. It may be tough to get your foot in the door but once you get a little experience under your belt you will make great money.
>>
>>39409379
You won't be replaced by pajeets my company hires them but even the best ones from abroad are terrible compared to the ones in the UK. They always fuck up and I have to come in and fix things for them.
>>
>>39409379
Hoshima Mika is my 10/10.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.