[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do someone here play an instrument? I was thinking about learning

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

File: playing-piano.jpg (835KB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
playing-piano.jpg
835KB, 3008x2000px
Do someone here play an instrument? I was thinking about learning piano in order to express my emotions through music
What is your experience?
>>
I have tried learning piano, guitar, and bass off and on for years for the same reason. It takes work. Definitely do it, but dont spend $700 on a nice keyboard like I did if you dont really have the money and you wont use it.
>>
>>39327504
start out with that simple cover of mad world by gary jules, you dont even need to know the theory just youtube synthesia mad world
>>
bought a violin 6 months ago but im bad at it .
>>
Practice every day. And practice right. Scales and technique building exercises. To keep from getting bored, learn songs that you enjoy. But seriously. Practice.
>>
>>39327504I play guitar, i sing too but i don't rate my voice very highly, i have recently got logic pro and am learning how to make songs on that and that's a large learning process with all stuff involved. I'm going to record vocals and that into logic and see if i can warp my voice or add effects or something to make it sound more interesting, honestly i find writing lyrics the hardest part about creating music, to not sound cheesy or cringey and still be able to convey your emotions and feels in words and music is a very fine skill.

You should learn an instrument and practice lots yes.
>>
>>39327504
too much work, not worth it
>>
i know cords to the piano. i just don't know any way to play a song. i learned from going to community college.
>>
>>39328721
instead get a MIDI controller like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IWWZAM6
maybe with more keys if you actually want to legit learn piano. THEN pirate FL Studio and whatever VSTs strike your interest. boom you now can make music with all kinds of sounds, not just piano. and it will sound better than the built in sounds of most keyboards you can buy.
>>
>>39329896
Pirate melodyne. I can't sing well either but I sound pretty good being able to use pitch correction and changing timing and amplitude on every note and harmonic. Also Studio One has been really easy to learn from no background in this, at least for recording/engineering physical instruments. Melodyne also works wonders for when you hit a wrong note or are playing something like a horn or fretless instrument off key.
>>
>>39327504
I love some music to an almost religious degree, I play but I write more frequently and better.
Music is the path to enlightenment.
>>
>>39330099
for VSTs i recommend:
>kontakt library for general purpose, has just about every instrument you could think of, but most of them are not particularly stellar, just "good enough"
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-5/library/
>arturia minimoog for synth
>LA scoring strings for orchestra
>alicia's keys for piano (not totally sold on this one, i just got it. it's OK i guess, especially for soft poppy stuff. there's probably better out there)
>t-racks for compressor, eq, limiter, etc.
you can pirate all of these on pirate bay.
>>
>>39330159
I'll looks into thanks, it's not that i can't sing, i'm ok, kit's just that it sounds bland y'know
>>
>>39327504
>tfw near professional jazz guitar skills because of aspergers and shut-in habits
>still in fucking high school (18 though)
>never play except for on my own time

feels bad. if i could bring myself to go out with a guitar and play it then i would. its not really worth it otherwise
>>
>>39330099
>pirate FL Studio
bad advice. just get Reaper. it's free and wayyyy better than FL Studio.
>>
>>39330285
what's better about it? i've used FL studio for 12 years and have found that it's good enough for my purposes. i haven't heard of any features that would convince me to spend the time and asspain to learn a new DAW
>>
I guess I'm sort of talented with stringed and key instruments, guitar being my main, and it was pretty therapeutic to be able to express myself for once.
>>
>>39330261
Keep getting better, dude. I used to get all sorts of praise, I was probably one of the best upright bassists for my age but I stopped striving to improve and now I'm just decent as an adult. As a jazz guitarist you should be able to sit in with any open mic or jam session and shred on a generic 1 4 5. When you practice, always be challenging yourself and learning new things.
>>
>>39330326
if you've been using it for 12 years, then I guess it's fine for you. but FL Studio really doesn't function the way most (almost all) other DAWs do; especially when it comes to user interface. FL is unnecessarily complex and introduces this really weird Photoshop-esque 'mini-window' system that really breaks the flow.
not to mention FL Studio is the only DAW I've ever used that has ever had compatibility issues with certain VSTs. last time I used it (years ago), there were entire guides on the internet for checking which VSTs work in FL Studio and which don't. that, to me, is strange.

also, piracy is bad. you can get Reaper for free directly from their website. no watermarks or limited capability, just a 5-second nag screen that doesn't even show up every time you open the program.
>>
>>39330634
>compatibility issues with certain VSTs.
which ones? i haven't had any issues outside of like one or two VSTs which i chalked up to the fact that i pirated them and thus can't reasonably expect things to work perfectly.
>>
>>39330326
Reaper has a much simpler and much more customizable UI. Anything you don't like, you can change. It's free and even if you buy a license it's very cheap. I think it's like $60? It's basically Logic Pro X Lite. Reaper is also really good for mixing and mastering, so there's no reason to do something and then move the stems to another DAW for treatment. You can just do everything inside Reaper and nothing else. It also treats MIDI and audio the same, which is pretty cool.
But mostly, it's just because Reaper is free and really simple without sacrificing capability. It's pretty studio-grade.
>>
>>39330715
can you change time signature mid-song? this is the ONLY thing i don't like about FL studio right now and it's not something that i get the urge to do often in the first place.
>>
>>39330696
>>39330099
How is FL Studio performance-wise? Does it eat up memory or what? How light/heavy is it?
>>
>>39330778
Yes. Select and area and click the time signature for it, and change it to whatever you want and it will only affect that area.
Really handy for if you play a lot of math rock.
>>
>>39330792
it's lightweight. i was on a toaster laptop for the last 8 years and the only time i got performance issues was when i had a complex song loaded up with tons of VSTs playing. and that is going to be an issue in any DAW because each VST come with its own overhead of RAM and CPU usage. unless you're on some dire computer from the 90s or something your DAW choice probably isn't going to matter much performance-wise.
>>39330806
that's cool. i'm still going to hold out hope that FL Studio implements meter changes some day though because like i said it's not something i do often and there are workarounds.
also i took a look at reaper's UI and this will sound petty but it's fucking ugly. it looks exactly how i remember cubase looking when i tried it 10 years ago. it looks like a program straight out of the 90s. i guess i'm too used to FL Studios big colorful buttons for retards but i guess i've grown attached to them.
>>
>>39330957
>also i took a look at reaper's UI and this will sound petty but it's fucking ugly.
Those are the default themes, which, yeah, they're super ugly. But you can go on some gearslutz threads or cockos threads and find some pretty sweet themes to use.
>>
>tfw want to compose music
>tfw have vivid music dreams and wake up wanting to record what I heard
>tfw don't know how to read sheet music
>tfw don't know how to write sheet music
>tfw don't know how to write tabs
>tfw can't even pick out notes by name upon hearing them
>tfw can picture the music visually, but the format only seems to make sense to me for the most part (guitarist friend seems to get what I mean by "wide" or "sparkly")
>tfw being able to play colors is apparently supposed to be some kind of superpower but it would actually be way more expedient for me to say "play in A" than to say "play it red"
>tfw it takes a full set of color pencils for me to draw what I hear
>tfw no recording equipment so that's not viable
>>
>>39330957
Reaper's default theme is pretty ugly but fortunately Cockos encourages the use of themes, so you can go 'shopping' for a new theme and pick one you like. There's one that makes it look flat and translucent, like something you'd see in recent macOS. There's another that makes it look like Ableton.
>>
>>39331153
if you get an instrument, this becomes a non-issue. sounding out melodies on guitar or piano/keyboard is so easy. you don't need to know how to read or write music, although that does make it a bit easier to communicate your ideas to other musicians. but really, all you need to know how to do is listen, emulate and commit to memory. it's like dancing, in a way. watch, do, then remember what to do.
>>
>>39329217
>you dont even need to know the theory just youtube synthesia mad world
Don't listen to this idiot. Learn theory and learn to read music.
>>
>>39327504
I play sax, but I'm really shit at it. It's fun, though.
>>
>>39327504
I play piano. However, I have been a slacker. If you don't work VERY hard, you won't accomplish much. Trust me, girls don't give a shit if you play piano if you're bad looking. I was actually retarded enough to write some pieces for some girls and they were like 'meh, thanks'.
They don't give a flying shit anon. If you go into this hobby, NEVER expect that you'll get girls solely based on this. On the other hand, take an instrument that is used often in songs you like or some classical pieces. It's wonderful to be able to play an instrument. I'm more of a practical person, so that impedes me from fully enjoying this hobby, but maybe you're more emotional.
>>
File: virtual pianos.jpg (255KB, 1712x663px) Image search: [Google]
virtual pianos.jpg
255KB, 1712x663px
>>39327504
i have been playing piano with my PC keyboard

its really fun once you get the hang of it and piano is honestly easy to learn, you just need to know some rules about what to do and what not to do with piano.

here are some links if anyone is interested

Maestro - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hj1g04a2pvvhjgd/AAD3huaeD5T7OEOrq8CPY6rka?dl=0

Original - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cvbtbvnjixio9a7/AADQYpumWGQweCPhNCyc1UJga?dl=0

Soft - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7q0cbt0r45i81hn/AAAjpdm1ATb0szqVEaSPVruIa?dl=0
>>
>>39331236
sheet music is only useful if you want to learn stuff for which there is sheet music available (and you can afford to pay. if there is a good public site where i can download a variety of sheet music for free please tell me). also it's good ear training to figure stuff out by ear anyway. music theory is a godsend, though.
>>
>>39331414
this is very true. do NOT get into music expecting to get laid you will be sorely disappointed. playing music does not put you in a higher social position if you are a robot. it can only elevate someone who is already attractive.
>>
>>39331617
>download a variety of sheet music for free please tell me
imslp
>>
File: pepe.jpg (19KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
19KB, 306x306px
>>39327504
>university offers free soundproof piano rooms
>use them to play vidya/anime music
>local restaraunt has a piano open for free use
>autistically play abstract but beautiful vidya/anime music in front of normies
"Can you play [pop song here]"
>>
File: epep.jpg (25KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
epep.jpg
25KB, 306x306px
>>39331708
>abstract but beautiful vidya/anime music in front of normies
>>
>>39331708
Any pop song would be way easier to play than some jap composers video game soundtrack, i can figure out pop songs on guitar in minutes
>>
>>39331153
Sounds like synthesia to me mate
>>
File: 1499842184980.jpg (189KB, 1167x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1499842184980.jpg
189KB, 1167x1200px
>>39331789
It just doesn't feel right to play that nigger music for gratification from others, it's not a challenge anyways
>>
>>39331901
You could make a performance art out of though, start playing pop songs and take your clothes off just before the chorus, then play the chorus naked while defecating on the piano chair and screaming the lyrics, then smear your shit all over the piano keys and body and scream something about the music industry just before security grabs you, people would think 'wow that guy just made really poignant statement'
>>
File: 1500706927201.gif (1000KB, 450x234px) Image search: [Google]
1500706927201.gif
1000KB, 450x234px
>>39332012
Nice literal shitpost
>>
>>39332024
Someone should do it, i'd love if it became the next big trend like the ice bucket challenge or something
>>
>>39331414
>>39331658
That is the absolute worst reason to play music. I'm almost offended. The piano, and the amazing pieces for it, these ancient, hallowed, almost holy things with countless depth to their history and you would use them as a mere prop, a tool for you to use toward your own vainglorious ends? Foolish children. Like using The Bible as a paperweight. You should be ashamed.
>>
>>39332136
Gotta get dat pussy someway or another lil homie
>>
>>39332136
i started playing music when i was 9 or 10, long before i would have even considered sex a strong motivation to do something. however when i got to highschool i started getting a bit hopeful that maybe my ability to play music could get me laid or something. here i am, still a virgin at 26. just warning fellow robots, not saying that's why i started personally.
>>
>>39332191
While you're at it, why don't you use a crucifix as a dildo? You fucking cultureless degenerate.
>>
>>39332344
I use a crucifix on yo momma bitch, yo momma's pussy is ma culture faggot, gunna nut in dat ass tonight lil robot bitch
>>
File: yelling in japanese.jpg (392KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
yelling in japanese.jpg
392KB, 1920x1080px
>tfw own a Piano
>want to learn
>never will
feels bad man

how do you even start learning this stuff on your own
>>
>>39332625
get a teacher is the simplest answer. self-teaching is possible but it's not a tenable path for brainlets or people with no motivation
>>
>>39327504
I played violin and can do some small junk on other instruments

I no longer own a violin however if I did I wish I could keep screwing around
>>
>>39329217
Idiot.
Do it right. Learning to read music is not difficult and will help you if you're serious about learning an instrument
>>
>>39331414
>learning an instrument for women
This is just fucking sad. Do it for your own enjoyment and betterment, Not because you have a fantasy of playing the piano in Chapters and getting tons of pussy
>>
File: 1473465915866.jpg (112KB, 784x708px) Image search: [Google]
1473465915866.jpg
112KB, 784x708px
>>39332429
This brings me back
>>
File: 1485487530110.jpg (30KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1485487530110.jpg
30KB, 500x500px
>Now I'm drunk as hell on a piano bench,
>And when I press the keys it all gets reversed
>The sound of loneliness makes me happier

Not original?
>>
>>39332680
>dealing with another person
both my autism and 1 digit bank account sum won't allow that
>>
>>39330099
if you want to seriously learn the piano, get something with weighted keys. It's far more important than just having a lot of sounds
>>
>>39333513
this is true. the one i linked has sort of weighted keys but they feel kind of weird, they're actually harder to push down than a real piano.
>>
Piano for 15 years reportan

It definitely helps. sometimes its the only thing keeping me from killing meself
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.