[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are /mu/ thoughts on Kendrick Lamar?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_3575.jpg (497KB, 1484x1484px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3575.jpg
497KB, 1484x1484px
What are /mu/ thoughts on Kendrick Lamar?
>>
>>39137881
Liked him a lot when I first began listening to him, hype kinda wore off though. He's a good rapper but needs to find more shit to wrap about. Granted, he'll always have a shit ton of success but personally I'm bored of him until he starts rapping about something more interesting than race/street shit.
>>
I just noticed I said /mu/ instead of /r9k/.
I'm a fucking fuck.
>>
>>39137881
i never really got why people like this kind of music. I'm not saying it is objectively bad, but do people strive to be like him? Is gang violence cool? Do people like the tune or rhythm or beat or whatever of the music itself?
>>
>>39137881
I listen to this at least once a week
>>
>>39138022
I'm not that big of a Kendrick fan but Kendrick is not a gang banger and he does not endorse gang violence. That being said, most people who listen to gangster rap often will never ever be in that situation and listen to it because the music by proxy makes them feel more tough than they actually are. Other people just like the music and don't think too much about it.
>>
>>39138022
I don't understand what's so good about it. I've never understood why people listen to music for "the message"
>>
>>39137881
this cunt has a song called loyalty and is played on the radio every fucking day, it drives me up the fucking wall. and before you ask i work outdoor and co-workers like to have radio on. another annoying cunt is this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VbXxyHRQbM how the fuck do people listen to this?
>>
>>39138022
>Is gang violence cool?
Kendrick criticism American black culture a lot, he definitely doesn't try to make gang violence seem cool
>Do people like the tune or rhythm or beat or whatever of the music itself?
To Pimp a Butterfly is actually really musically interesting, u is a great track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wZytWFm7x0
>>
>>39137881
I like the OP pic album because the instrumentals, flow and production were great. Never really cared about the lyrics much and think they're overrated, it's well written but the whole album boils down to "racism is real" with some relatable things for black people, aka every rapper who isnt a generic thugmoney.

>>39138082
I can see why people like it but not why they would be interested in repeated listens in the music itself is completely uninteresting. DAMN and most other rap music is literally the most simplistic form of music you could write. i could make half the beats on that album and i'm just an inexperienced unprofessional cuck who can produce beats. Once you get the message I see no reason to ever listen to that album again
>>
>>39138225
first half of that video is so fucking cringy and kind of undermines the song. we don't need to see 3 and a half minutes of you looking hurt and upset to get the point, the song already does that so do something else with your video.
>>
>>39138320
Yeah his videos have always been really overwrought and pompous desu. The ones for Damn (especially that one with Don Cheadle) were particularly bad
Still think that song is fantastic when isolated from the video though
>>
File: 1502483857596.jpg (8KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1502483857596.jpg
8KB, 320x320px
>>39137881
I love Kendrick. In my top 4 favourite artists of all time.

Sad that most people on /r9k/ don't really get hip hop.
>>
>>39138444
a board full of white people dont listen to an album that can pretty much be boiled down to 'fuck whitey, all my problems are because of him reeeee ;_;'

wow shocking
>>
>>39138436
pretty much, i like kendrick but DAMN was a weak one for me. the whole thing felt like it was just him going "everyone thinks im very smart and famous but im actually pretty sad and insecure." an album about an artist's personal issues, especially when there's no room for interpretation or relating, is never interesting and just kind of narcissistic, even if its unintentional.
>>
File: 1502128013066.jpg (111KB, 768x764px) Image search: [Google]
1502128013066.jpg
111KB, 768x764px
>>39138519
>I can only relate to problems that I have personally experienced reeeee

Are you not able to simply listen to the album, enjoy the music, and have a good chin scratch at the social commentary? You'd have to be pretty culturally insecure to feel threatened by listening to Kendrick. Not everyone is trying to kill whitey just because they're talking about racial issues.
>>
>>39137881
>/mu/

>>>/mu/
are you fucking retarded? Oh never mind you listen to Kendrick Lamar, answered my own question.
>>
>>39138574
there's nothing to chin scratch about in the albums 'social commentary' though

it's about as deep as a puddle.

And of course you assume that because i dont like Kendrick i cant possibly listen to anything and am 'culturally insecure' (nice buzzword btw)

If i wanted to listen to good music of a similar type i could listen to Paak, or MadVillain or Dilla or tons of other stuff. Who actually focus on the music rather than crying about muhh white devil
>>
To pimp a butterfly sounds like shit. It's jazz, not even hip hop
>>
>>39138444
People like different music styles, and that is normal. I don't get hip hop. But I understand why someone would love it. To each their own.

Also checked
>>
>>39137881
I like most of his stuff. I often feel like an outsider looking in with most of his songs with the exceptions of songs like Swimming Pools.
>>
I was expecting something else when I heard that it's /mu/ approved music. /mu/ must suck
>>
Kanye > Kendrick
>>
>>39137881
He's one of the greatest rappers of this decade, possibly of all time. TPAB is a masterpiece, blending symbolism, thematic elements and other literary devices with some really funky, cool, scary, and intense music. Everyone who puts him off as a shallow or otherwise incompetent rapper, including myself at one point, is sorely disunderstanding of his work.
>>
>>39139011
Don't try and trigger everybody, faggot. Kendrick can rap circles around Kanye.
>>
>>39138708
That goes for you too, electrically charged douche-nozzle
>>
File: 1502421889169.jpg (47KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1502421889169.jpg
47KB, 600x600px
>>39139081
Kendrick despite all of his songs on racism (and there's a lot) has still not managed to come close to making a truly insightful point like Kanye does on New Slaves. Not only that, but Kanye also produces 90% of his songs. Kendrick can only rap.
>>
File: IMG_6165.png (22KB, 500x512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6165.png
22KB, 500x512px
>>39137881
He tells black people to worship Satan
>>
>>39139040
After reading this, j should give his music a listen. I didn't like tpab back when it was released, I was a different person back then and only saw the album as "propaganda". I did like his song "Humble" and the tracks he features on with Flying Lotus though.
>>
I don't like rap too much but he seems like a decent guy. I think "sit down, be humble" is exactly what a lot of people need to hear in 2017. And he only dates black women, which is a respectable move.
>>
File: 1502391420100.png (1MB, 1080x1038px) Image search: [Google]
1502391420100.png
1MB, 1080x1038px
black cult leader.

feeding the sheep their sermons
>>
>>39139419
i don't understand what's going on in this image
>>
https://youtu.be/Z-48u_uWMHY >>>>> any 'conscious rap' in existence

TPAB >>>>>>>>>> Yeezus
>>
>>39139321
I have listened to Kendrick's entire discography except pre Section 80. For Free is a good track and is instrumentally great and well written/rapped but does not bring anything new to say. That is my problem with Kendrick. When discussing racism it's always "racism exists and this is how it makes us feel". There's nothing necessary wrong with that but Kendrick is a one trick pony on the topic. I would say The Blacker The Berry is an exception. Yes it's more "this is how we feel" but there's more to it
>>
File: IMG_6188.jpg (158KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6188.jpg
158KB, 650x488px
>>39139487
>Black people en masse selling their souls, metaphorically or literally speaking, for financial gain as a means of ending the many problems in the black community brings nothing new

>What you want, you a house you a car
40 acres and a mule, a piano a guitar
Anything, see my name is Lucy, I'm your dog
Motherfucker you can live at the mall
I can see the evil, I can tell it I know it's illegal
I don't think about it, I deposit every other zero

I remember you took me to the mall last week baby
You looked me in my eyes about 4 5 times
Till I was hypnotized then you clarified
That I (want you)
You said Sherane ain't got nothing on Lucy
I said you crazy
Roses are red violets are blue but me and you both pushing up daisies if I (want you)

My baby when I get you get you get you get you
I'ma go head to ride with you
Smoking lokin' poking the deja till I'm idle with you
Cause I (want you)

You said to me
You said your name was Lucy
I said where's Ricardo?
You said oh no, not the show

>unmistakably selling your soul to Lucifer
>>
File: IMG_6189.jpg (55KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6189.jpg
55KB, 600x315px
Thesis, Anti-thesis

I mean Jesus H. Cole. Put two and two together.
>>
>>39137881
> rap music
> normie i found the normie
> boo hoo im black
> boo hoo im black and i made a million dollars
> please pay to listen to me cry about being black
>>
File: 1502931818988.jpg (68KB, 750x737px) Image search: [Google]
1502931818988.jpg
68KB, 750x737px
>>39137881
Quick reminder lil pump blows kendrick out of the water.
>>
>>39139196
>Kanye produces 90% of his songs [citation needed]
>>
>>39139435
>put shitty blacked meme here
>>
>>39137881
He is racist, I don't know why anyone listens to racist music. He even says DNA = dead nigger association. What even kind of black guy disses his own race/genetics?
>>
>>39138625
>Paak
>good
wtf dude ew hahah fucking gross taste man
>>
>>39139196
>new slave is truly insightful about race
>literally only says racism exists
>>
>>39139712
Both of those songs are about being tempted by the devil, and ties it back to American consumerism as referenced in Wesley's Theory, a staple of black and specifically rap culture
>>
>>39138625
Why do you think it's not deep? Have you listened to To Pimp A Butterfly completely? It sounds like you haven't.
>>
He's pretty unremarkable.
>>
>>39139938
white meme rapper kys faggot
>>
>>39137930
He fucking sold out, now his music sucks.
Section 8.0. was the best album he ever made, if he kept sounding like that, he would've had better success
>>
>>39138225
The only artist who made gangsta rap sound cool were Dre, Eazy E, and Ice Cube, mostly with NWA, after that, the rest just tried to copy them
>>
File: e0d.jpg (45KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
e0d.jpg
45KB, 1000x1000px
>>39139011
I see what you're trying to do, fuckboii
>>
>>39137881
I'm so over black people. I'm not going to listen to a nigger ramble on about imaginary race issues for an hour.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.