[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can the American education be saved and how can it be saved?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: 2017-07-17-00-50-25-1.png (17KB, 289x192px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-17-00-50-25-1.png
17KB, 289x192px
Can the American education be saved and how can it be saved?
>>
By not being run by the government.
>>
>>39061215
Why would the ruling elite want to educate their slave force?

Well it would require catastrophic violence and revolution to make the changes you are talking about
>>
>>39061254
Bloodshed is always necessary for change. I dont think it can be avoided.
>>
File: 1500933985051.png (44KB, 347x160px) Image search: [Google]
1500933985051.png
44KB, 347x160px
>not realising it's just another strand in a giant web of corruption, manipulated by the spider (the elite)
>>
There's a problem with applying metrics to feedback systems, which is that they come to be dominated by the metric rather than what the metric is supposed to represent. Standardized testing is supposed to be a sampling of things from a well-rounded education, so that doing well on an unknown standardized test is representative of being educated, but being able to pass a test is not actually the same thing as being educated. So that's one problem that needs to be solved.
Relatedly, education funding needs to be decoupled from results on standardized tests. Really, No Child Left Behind is basically the worst thing to have ever happened to education.
Beyond that, education funding also needs to be decoupled from property taxes, because as it is it's another way that social class is solidified.
>>
>>39061326
All those things would be fixed if >>39061249
>>
>>39061215
You can save your own education by education yourself fggt
>>
File: 20170811_145825.jpg (36KB, 228x250px) Image search: [Google]
20170811_145825.jpg
36KB, 228x250px
>>39061215
Less standardized education. Kids need to be taught how to problem solve and think for thenselves. In addition, they also need a variety of physical activities besides sports: (weight training, rifleman training, etc). I used to have archery class during middle school.
>>
>>39061359
>Kids need to be taught how to problem solve and think for thenselves
Kids (like most people in general) will actively resist having to think for themselves. I agree that we want them to, but to get it you're gonna have to accept that a lot of kids are gonna flunk, and therefore you're gonna have to have a pretty strong system in place to ensure that social promotion is verboten. Schools and teachers will fight you on this, because they just wanna give the fuckups a C- and pass them on to be someone else's problem. As will parents, because they don't want to be told that little Johnny is a dumbass, even if he self-evidently is. Many parents also don't want kids thinking for themselves, because the only thing they hate more than being challenged is being outwitted.
>>
>>39061215
The controlling classes don't want educated people. They want a bunch of ignorant, rapping manimals who buy things.
>>
>>39061249
>what is homeschooling
>what is private schooling
Your parents chose specifically not to give you a better education because of a lack of time and/or money (lol if they were worried about your social skills), don't blame the government for something you got for free.

I'd recommend recorded lecture videos and an open source homework system so our teachers can further become glorified babysitters and save that precious, precious taxpayer money.
>>
File: powder.png (147KB, 649x408px) Image search: [Google]
powder.png
147KB, 649x408px
pay kids to get good grades
>>
>>39061779
Marketing and manipulation works on everyone regardless of how smart or educated you are. It's not like we can abscond from our mammalian nature just by knowing a lot about physics or whatever.
>>
>>39061215
Why should it be saved? It doesn't prepare its students fro the real world.
>>
>>39061215
make it more competitive
set aside the underperformers to remedial/special ed
make the teaching market more competitive
make high school 2 separate phases
>>
Free college.
That's literally it.

It's what everyone else does, and it works, because the investment returns in less than a generation, with everyone who graduated suddenly filling the high tier of the job market with incredibly confident, skilled people.

The only reason America doesn't do it is because our government is highkey racist and doesn't want black people to gain any form of upward mobility.
>>
>>39062017
How do i upvote on this website
>>
>>39063539
We need to make passing a basic literacy and algebra class mandatory, at any age. But after that, it should be up to the parents and kid as to whether the kid should pursue more education. Making college free just makes the masters degree the new bachelors.
>>
>>39063626
Yeah, it would, and that would be good. The majority of American citizens would then feel compelled to go to college because "just stopping at high school would count for very little", which is how it actually is in a lot of european countries. This would result in overall higher intelligence and skill levels in the country.
Sure, it would mean nobody would enter the workforce before 22, but nobody does anyway because we NEET'd this whole generation in the ass, hard.
>>
>>39063596
>596>>39062017
Seriously guys, where is the like or upvote button here?
>>
>>39063691
I see a couple of 16-year old international students studying at my uni. So when someone enters the workforce, how skilled a job he wants, how fast he can learn material - that all depends on the individual. I'm hoping that anyone that doesn't want to be in school just drops out at an early age. Then the elementary, middle, and high schools improve to the point where even a HS diploma is valuable to employers again.
>>
>>39063691
not the guy you were responding to, but free education is moronic. college isn't a right, and i shouldn't have to pay for people to get stupid ass degrees, as some will always do. it should be a privilege that is a challenge to do for some people, so degrees matter, and don't become devalued because everybody has one. i think that having more people having them is good, because we want better industry and development, but making it available to everyone is stupid.
>>
>>39063899
Education is more than a right, it's an investment. Not wanting to force as much free education down the throats of your people as you can is a grave error in planning. The more educated you make your citizens, the more successful your country will become. It doesn't matter if the degrees become "devalued", you shouldn't be looking at them as something that has workplace value, they are merely a byproduct of going to a school and learning things, which is the actual important part. Free education results in more educated people, which improves quality of life significantly.

Denying it to people who could never afford it serves no real purpose, it just ensures that there will always be a stonewalled dirtpoor class who can never achieve anything in life, which will then of course force that class to stagnate and be responsible for violence and destroy the country from the inside out.
>>
>>39063847
>I'm hoping that anyone that doesn't want to be in school just drops out at an early age
that's how good schools in the us do it. they separate you by performance, so the standard curriculum for the lower track of kids becomes common core shit, while the upper track becomes like 2-4 APs a year.
>>
File: vape.jpg (4KB, 235x214px) Image search: [Google]
vape.jpg
4KB, 235x214px
>>39061359

> riflemen training
>>
File: IMG_0476.png (85KB, 226x201px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0476.png
85KB, 226x201px
>>39061215
i graduated at the top of my class in high school, but when i went to sign up for college they told me i have the education of a 7th grader
>tfw american
>>
>>39064019
Outside of the poor few that never managed to learn literacy and algebra, there is no denying of education to anyone. Libraries are cheap, I support the government funding these institutions.
>>
>>39064095
Sorry you lived in the inner city anon
>>
maybe i'm fucking retarded, but I always wondered how effective an authoritarian school would be

>students get paid as long as they perform well
>system perpetually compares a kid to their peers
>school starts at 8 AM, mandatory 1 hr physical training hour (You can't slack off in gym class. Even if you're fat as long as you don't have a medical condition you're still going to run and lift)
>teachers conduct themselves in authoritarian ways. demand order and efficiency, and explicitly make an example out of anyone who slacks off
>mandatory homework every day
>fail a class you get put on probation. underperform in probation and you get expelled
>every year you get more freedom, but the same rules apply. over the course of 4 years slowly imbue time management skills to the kids by assigning more long term projects and assignments.
>>
>>39064286
I think they call them boarding schools?
>>
>>39064348
maybe, my school gave a lot of autonomy to us, so it was the exact opposite of authoritarian
>>
>>39064467
I think it was just your particular school. There's the old trope where a kid misbehaves enough that his parents ship him off to boarding school, so I assume some of these schools must be like what you describe.
>>
>>39063899
Tax funded education doesn't mean more people get educated than now.
Why is this argument in every discussion about this? How can so many people reach such a dumb conclusion?
I would guess you've all read it from somewhere else by someone intentionally misleading you since there's no logical thought process that could lead to this.

With the way American education is now it would probably be even fewer people getting educated. Now the amount of educations aren't limited, as long as someone can borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars they can get an education and the schools are happy to oblige even if it's a meaninglessness education.
When it's tax funded only a reasonable amount of positions would be available. If a million people want to so gender studies now they can, there's no way the government would create that many spaces for it.

Also with tax funded education only merit would decide who gets an education instead of merit+class.
>>
File: 1476260481845.jpg (50KB, 473x462px) Image search: [Google]
1476260481845.jpg
50KB, 473x462px
The entire system is a bad idea

>forcing 20-30 kids together for years and effectively leave them to the law of the jungle

I'd say one third of severe mental illness comes from shitty parenting, one third is genetical and another third from the social conditions of the educational system. After school severely traumatized people move on to become a social and financial burden on society in various incarnations and also get the blame for it.

Had the structure of the educational system been more favorable to the individual well-being lots of individual suffering and societal spending could've been avoided, as these people would turn into productive and much happier individuals. Instead of say, the depressive wrecks of /r9k/.

It's staggering how no one really seem to acknowledge how shitty and socially corrosive the educational system is.
>>
>>39064070
You can aquire a good knowledge of firearms safety, mechanics, physics, as well as the physical benefits of firearms pratice. They do it in the boyscouts so why not at the school level.
>>
>>39065142

> Firearms safety skills

Larp

> mechanics, physics

Anon pls

> physical benefits of firearms practice

Nobody has ever gotten gains from shooting a gun

> They do it in the boyscouts

Fuck the boyscouts
>>
>>39065142
>if you can't shoot a gun you have to stay in school forever
and that's why it's not mandatory
>>
>>39065716
It can be optional. Like an elective. I think that's what I am trying to say. More options for students. . . aw never mind.
>>
>>39065740
More electives are good. I'd like to see archery clubs make a comeback in schools.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.