[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey, older folks...

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: i dunno.jpg (43KB, 561x472px) Image search: [Google]
i dunno.jpg
43KB, 561x472px
It's my birthday on the 14th of this month, and now that I'm growing up I just wanted to know, what advice do you have for me?

My 3 years of experience of being on this site has shown me that if I do not act, now I may end up in a doomful predicament. I want to avoid any possible regrets and avoid ruining my future. I do not want to become a 25yo+ neet. I do not want to be single by the time I'm well into the thresholds of adult hood. I do not want to regret not taking action when I should, and I definitely don't want to let down those around me.

Even though I'm getting older I am still young, 19 to be exact by tomorrow, and I want to use my youth to good use. What skills should I gain now to better my future? What mistakes should I avoid, so I don't wake up with regrets when I'm older and what mistakes have you made that you wish you never did?

Sorry if I sound like a fag, but I'm just asking for help. Feel free to give advice if you wish.

Goh blesh!
>>
>>39049822
Would help to know your current situation, what you're trying to do, and what you're doing to get there.
>>
>>39050002
I'm currently doing an apprenticeship, which is kinda like a paid internship, as a real estate agent. I'm trying to go uni in 2 years, and hopefully, I don't become lazy and actually get work done.
>>
>>39050081
Sounds good, as long as you're enjoying it. Or at least as long as it doesn't suck the soul out of you.
>>
It's basic but my main regrets are:

>Underestimating others and their capabilities
>Spending so much time online
>Wasting my energy getting outraged at things online and/or arguing with spergs online
>Not wanting to feel the discomfort that goes with putting more than 100 percent of my effort into something
>Thinking too much about philosophical things, from existence itself to what people think of me and my place on the social ladder
>Not focusing more in school

The best you can get here is that some guy will put a message across to you in such a way that it will stick with you. Value your youth, it is fleeting and temporary yet if you embrace it and use it wisely it will last longer. Also, don't get too involved in the internet. It doesn't matter really, it's a valuable tool but it's also fleeting and just mental masturbation and wasted energy. Keep it at an arms length so to speak and never get too involved in it.
>>
File: based phil.gif (482KB, 500x236px) Image search: [Google]
based phil.gif
482KB, 500x236px
Maybe watch Modern Family to be inspired by alpha real estate man Phil Dunphy?
>>
>>39050186
>Modern (((Family)))
>>
File: hell.png (183KB, 370x359px) Image search: [Google]
hell.png
183KB, 370x359px
>>39050124
Oh, it fucking does! I have never expeirecne something as bad as this, and I feel like I'm gonna die. I fucking hate my job and just cry thinking about the fact thatI'll have to wake upup and have to do it again. I fucking hate my life and to say this is sucking the soul out of me woul be an understatement. And the worst partis is that this is a year long course and I have only done 2 1/2 months so far.
>>
>>39050172
>Underestimating others and their capabilities
Expand on why it causes so much regret if you don't mind.

>Spending so much time online
understandable.

>Wasting my energy getting outraged at things online and/or arguing with spergs online
iktf

>>Not wanting to feel the discomfort that goes with putting more than 100 percent of my effort into something
Still working on it.

>Thinking too much about philosophical things, from existence itself to what people think of me and my place on the social ladder
Lol, literally me. Can't help it. It has become a part of me now.

>Not focusing more in school
Same but I can still bounce back.

Thanks for the advice anon. Shadilay!
>>
>>39050241
Then I'd suggest looking for alternatives. I think when it comes to jobs it's kind of like that:
top tier: you love it, regardless of things like salary and schedule
mid tier: it pays well enough and leaves you enough free time, doesn't ruin your life, basically just a utility
shit tier: ruins your mood, regardless of salary and schedule. change asap before you get stuck and become an empty shell
>>
>>39050324
>Then I'd suggest looking for alternatives.
Sorry, that's impossible. If I were to leave now, then I would be jeopardising my entire future. I'm stuck here for 10 more months, and there's nothing I can do about it.

>you love it, regardless of things like salary and schedule
I have understood this now and will be following my passion.
>>
>>39049822
>eat right
>finish school
>apply for any aid to pay for school you can qualify for
>get degree that makes sense for where you live/want to live
>budget
>be smart with your credit
>use a rubber
>get out of the house even if it's just a short drive somewhere
>Keep your room clean
>talk to people in your classes networking is the difference between being a wageslave vs salaryman
>avoid places that shitty people go to
>choose your roommates carefully
>find something that you enjoy as a hobby.
>>
>>39050369
Sounds good, 10 months is short enough even though it will feel longer if you hate it. And it gave you a necessary experience to better know what you actually want to do, or at least not do.
>>
>>39050411
>choose your roommates carefully
Wait, you can do this?
>>
You need to do some research on the kind of world you're living in, how it came to be that way, and the directions in which is going.

Having an understanding of the foundations of human society and what scientists and philosophers have come to understand about nature itself is going to help you understand how to navigate within this world.

As a child, we hardly get to make decisions for ourselves; our parents, teachers, etc. mostly control us.You're at the age right now where you're just starting to enter into adult life. You're going to discover that most adults really don't know much about anything. Whether your aim is to help educate your peers so that they too will be better-informed citizens of the earth, or you want to focus the scope of your aim in life more narrowly, to benefit #1 first and foremost, either way knowing more than the average person is going to give you that edge.

The flip side of the matter is that a lot of the stuff about this world (not all of it, but a lot) is actually really harsh, cruel, illogical and depressing. Take time off to regroup and chill out, lest you wind up a miserable cynical shell of a man who has overdosed on redpills.
>>
>>39050462
Depends on if you mean college vs renting a place to live.

Never lived in a dorm so I don't know. But if your renting a house with two people you better be sure they will pay and not leave you high and dry.
>>
>>39050317

I was much more sheltered back then and so I had the luxury of thinking everyone else was a cakewalk to deal with. This cost me dearly later on. I've gotten my ass kicked in many ways, I've never physically lost a fight but I've had people bring it to me. So I found that I was only at my best when I saw everyone else out there as a juggernaut, I never underestimated everyone and I respected other people for their talents and how dangerous they could be. I'm just lucky I never did get physically beaten up or stabbed. I've seen that happen to others, and they were even worse than me with their arrogance.
>>
>>39050514
>You need to do some research on the kind of world you're living in, how it came to be that way, and the directions in which is going.
But good sir, how does one do this?
>>
You've past age 18. The defacto "adult" definition. This is a false view imposed on young minds. You are not an adult. Bear with me this isn't some "get off my lawn" old man shit.

You're now an elderly kid. You've completed the child part of life and you have mastered it. Now you are beginning to become an adult. You are a baby adult. Just like you were an actual baby at age one. You will learn to do the adult walk and talk. You will become more proficient at it over time just like you went from crawling and babbling to running and talking.

You don't need to be as skilled an adult as the 45 year old tax paying home owning middle class citizen. You don't need to be that today, tomorrow or next year. Don't rush things and don't feel like you need to be rushed. Just take your time and work these things out. Don't ever stop working on becoming an adult but don't let yourself become overwhelmed by it.
>>
>>39050567

Reading is one of the best ways. You should never stop reading for too long; make it a habit. Just remember that not everything in every book, academic journal, or news web site is always 100% true and credible.

Things are written by human beings and human beings are fallible. Learn to compare what source A says with source B and use your reasoning ability to figure out who is right (or whether they're both right to some extent but not completely, or whether they're both actually wrong). It's important to have some idea of how to evaluate information critically.

Tying in with this, you should learn about deductive, inductive, and abductive reasoning. They are all very important for evaluating information and propositions. Without the ability to reason your life is just going to be guided by blind luck, like how a child's life is mostly controlled by how lucky he is to have good parents and teachers (or bad ones). Depending on how (un)lucky you were as a child you might not have really enjoyed having that life even back then, but you sure don't want that for your life as a grown man.
>>
>>39049822
>what advice do you have for me?
Pretty much go and try shit. Outside of toy problems from school you'll basically never have enough information to have a good idea what the right thing to do is, so don't freeze up and wait for certainty that never comes.
(A related funky thing is that very often people end up doing the first thing they thought of doing, after much brooding and procrastination and looking for an alternative without downsides. Your brain is probably smarter than you give it credit for.)
In general, getting involved in even doomed ventures has the advantage of letting you meet new (often ambitious) people, and knowing people is what gets you jobs (shaking hands may also help). Try and see everything you do (or have the option to do) as an opportunity to gain friends and experience. Remember, the actual work probably benefits someone else than you so it's less important.

>What mistakes should I avoid, so I don't wake up with regrets when I'm older and what mistakes have you made that you wish you never did?
Trusting people. Specifically, I think it's worth keeping in mind that it's not people who betray you that you have to look out for, it's the ones that let you down. The ones who don't understand how important something is for you and halfass it, the ones that misunderstand you, are well meaning but inept etc. etc. and in particular, the ones who are themselves bad at picking who to trust and hence let some third party fuck things up for you by proxy.

By the way,
>taking advice from the internet
Remember that advice (from anyone) is just inspiration for conclusions you COULD draw from your own experience at one point. Hints for things to look for. Treat it all as ideas, nothing more.
>>
>>39050650
>>39050753
>>39050872
Guys, I would just like to say. Thanks for wasting your time on me and actually writing out detailed answers. God willing I will put these to good use and become a better person because of it.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.