[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the point of meditation? Does anyone on here do it? What

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Meditation.jpg (290KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Meditation.jpg
290KB, 2000x1000px
What is the point of meditation? Does anyone on here do it? What exactly are you suppose to be experiencing? How does it work? If I sat in a dark and silent room while sitting in a certain pose would that somehow magically make me feel better?

I just never understood how some people claim meditation makes their lives better, or somehow makes them a better person. There must be some psychological explanation behind it, and from what I know of meditation they say you can listen to certain sounds to relax you. If anything the whole thing seems like it's meant to relax you, but people who do it everyday claim it does more than relax you.
>>
it doesnt its just one of those smug things
>>
>>38927738
Well I guess I'm asking because I'm interested in getting into it. Some claimed it helped them with depression, among other things as well. I just wanted to get into it because I thought it might improve my life a bit.
>>
>>38927700
If you do it enough you can start to feel energies radiating and vibrations. It's similar to when your leg falls asleep and is waking up but not exactly as painful. It's super comfy. Supposedly astral projection is possible from meditation, but I have yet to get that far.
>>
>>38927700
The first world version of it is for people who have really active lives and need breaks to clear their heads. It's basically bullshit and does nothing that a nap won't do better.

For monks and such though, the easiest way to explain it is to compare it to closing your eyes in order to hear better. Turning "off" or muting some of your senses makes it easier for you to focus other ones. So if you sit in silence so you don't hear anything, then close your eyes so you don't see anything and sit in a comfortable position that you won't fall asleep in, most of your senses are "off" and you can just focus on thinking about things with better depth.
>>
I've tried to get into it many times.

Best case, I sit there being bored for a few minutes. Worst case, focusing on breath makes me hyperventilate and freak out.

I really don't understand what I'm supposed to get out of it. I've never felt like I needed to 'clear my mind' or whatever the meme is.
>>
>>38927940
OP here, since I don't know much about it I'm just speculating, but maybe your life isn't so stressful that you need to meditate in the first place? I know there are different types of meditation, like some people stare at a specific object to clear their mind. Some light a candle and stare the flame, or some stare at a picture or flower.

Maybe general meditation doesn't work for you, but another type might. But yeah, I couldn't tell you much since I've never really done it, nor do I understand it's purpose.
>>
>>38927700
>What is the point of meditation?
Well I used it to explore my own spirituality and find peace but it's really what ever you want from it.
What exactly are you suppose to be experiencing?
>>38927763
>How does it work?
I focused on my breathing and emptying my mind. Takes a little practice but let your thoughts flow by you until they stop, don't concentrate or feel anything towards any particular thought.
Alan watts has good guided meditation, good for me when I first started.
https://youtu.be/1zFliUOeu6Y
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.