[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If free will is something that doesn't exist at all and

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: brain-book[1].jpg (77KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
brain-book[1].jpg
77KB, 600x400px
If free will is something that doesn't exist at all and every choice I make is determined by past events and my own brain structure then how do I become a better person?

What steps do I take to break my bad habits?
>>
File: 1478739648720.jpg (47KB, 645x968px) Image search: [Google]
1478739648720.jpg
47KB, 645x968px
>>38786285
Wouldn't that mean you'd want to increase the quality of your brain structure? You could get your blood checked at a doctor. You would do things like meditation, proper diet, and exercise. You would be social and get into a monogamous relationship. You would go make 75k/yr and own a house.

This would all be in pursuit of the highest quality brain structure. If it all comes down to past events and brain structure, and you can only control brain structure, you would do what is possible to to have the highest quality brain structure so that the best possible choices are made.
>>
>>38786285
Determinism doesn't resolve at the subatomic level because of uncertainty.
So life is ultimately non-deterministic, and you can ignore this whole mental avenue of nihilistic surrender to fate.

You start becoming a better person by willing yourself to improve and acting upon that will.
>>
>>38786439
>Uncertainty = free will
Memes.

Whether or not everything is deterministic is admittedly an unfalsfiable argument but uncertainty and sub-atomic "randomness" wouldn't mean we'd have the ability to will ourselves into doing shit. It would mean that every choice we make is a roll of the dice. It's actually the worse of the three ideas. Determinism would mean if I do things to make myself better in the future then I've been determined to be a better person. Free will would mean that I can do whatever I want and want whatever I want because I'm a wizard who exists outside the confines of reality, however it would also mean that, since determinism isn't true, I wouldn't always act(or not act) certain beneficial ways, I would always have to will myself to do it. "Uncertainty" is the absolute worst, it's like playing X-Com except the RNG is pumped up to 11 and dice rolls decide your every move and you don't actually play, you just feel like you do(same as determinism in that last regard)
>>
>>38786285
>If free will is something that doesn't exist
>What steps do I take to break my bad habits?

hmm
>>
>>38786935
I tried to word it to be synonymous with "What sequential set of actions/events would I have to be determined to make/cause to take place in order to break my habits?" but I guess I failed.
>>
>>38786434
Actually very solid post, anon, I appreciate it. Dunno what I'll do with it but hopefully I've been determined to make the best use of it.
>>
>>38786909
Large numbers of samples over a sufficient period to have experienced a high frequency are statistically predictable, and subatomic events are unimaginably frequent. This is why half lives are so predictable.
Arguing that uncertainty is pure random is intellectually dishonest.

The fact is that full determinism is not a rational perspective and neither is pure indeterminism. There are merely trends and likelihoods.

What is the brain but a series of trends established upon an initial unlikely path?
Indeed what is life?
>>
File: 1433781850864.jpg (133KB, 780x818px) Image search: [Google]
1433781850864.jpg
133KB, 780x818px
>free will doesn't exist
>hard determinism is the truth
>it was determined at the big bang that I would live and die a loser

inb4 normalfags deny the fact that I have any choice to change with their fallacies
>>
>>38787867
You don't have a choice but how the hell would you know with your puny human brain that you'll never succeed at anything? Too many potential possibilities cast aside to feed into your fatalism. It's as dumb as saying that Chad won't ever be a loser, despite the fact that Chads have gone homeless, gotten shot dead, caught HIV, lost everyone they had etc. etc. Accurately predicting your life down to every tiny detail is the act of God, and you sure as hell don't look like no God, anon.
>>
>>38787666
>Arguing that uncertainty is pure random is intellectually dishonest.
I have to admit that my conclusions are based on what I've been told and did research, could've gone to bad sources.

>What is the brain but a series of trends established upon an initial unlikely path?
That is a good way of putting it.

>Indeed what is life?
A miserable pile of cells but enough talk, have at you.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.