[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/cs/

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_0299.png (75KB, 503x271px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0299.png
75KB, 503x271px
Lets talk about computer science.

Is it as hard as people make it out to be? How tough is it to get a job in the field? Is it a worthwhile career in the long run?

Been thinking about this for a while now and i need to make up my mind before september hits
>>
>asking /r9k/ about science of any kind
>>>/sci/
>>
>>38546194

>Asking /sci/ about anything

Wew lad they're literally retarded

For this topic ask /g/
>>
>>38546172
>Is it as hard as people make it out to be?
No.
>>
>>38546241
>asking /g/ about anything
WEW laddo
It's GNU/g/, or as I've recently started calling it, GNU plus /g/.
>>
>>38546270

It's not hard to be good at single technology or language.
The skills come with understanding system architecture and good code

>>38546172
It's a good skill to have and work on, and if you enjoy problem solving I would recommend it
>>
File: 1493384651605.jpg (8KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
1493384651605.jpg
8KB, 236x236px
>>38546172
>need to take discrete mathematics, calc 1 and 2
>for programming degree
GTFO STUPID MATHFAGS
>>
>>38546368
it's technically a computer science degree, so they're not looking for complete brainlets
>>
>>38546368
yea fuck calc thats the part im worried about lol
>>
It's not a good career unless you like being bossed around by brainlets and jews.
>>
>>38546424
The problem is that there's no "programming degree" so it's either get raped by the math department or gtfo.
>>
>>38546368
Also don't forget to satisfy your foreign language and 12th century african literature requirement :^)
>>
File: IMG_0296.png (5KB, 213x237px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0296.png
5KB, 213x237px
>>38546614
^
>tfw have to take subject that has nothing to do with said major
what is this high school?
ree
>>
>>38546680
It's because those shitty departments don't have enough majors, and if they didn't force other majors to take their classes they would have to be shut down overnight.
>>
File: 1500630453492.png (544KB, 645x732px) Image search: [Google]
1500630453492.png
544KB, 645x732px
>>38546368
>whining about babby math
>>
File: . .gif (229KB, 500x579px) Image search: [Google]
. .gif
229KB, 500x579px
Does anyone know how I can use my degree to program a gf (define Y(lambda(h)((lambda(x)(x x))(lambda(g)(h(lambda args(apply(g g)args)))))))(define dimens(Y(lambda(f)(lambda(x)(if(= x 2)2(f(- x 1)))))))(string-append(number->string(dimens 3))"D")?

>>38546368
Deal with it, Pajeet.
>>
its a bad field in certain areas of the states like socal. you're going to compete with every other asian or indian who has a cs or eece (computer engineering) degree.
>>
>>38546738
is that lisp or scheme? either way i dont want to do it ever again
>>
>>38546738
>Deal with it, Pajeet.
CS field is increasingly filled with chads and normies
>>
File: 1494185511713.png (554KB, 622x622px) Image search: [Google]
1494185511713.png
554KB, 622x622px
How much do you guys make?
I want a promotion.
>>
File: 1495832995686.jpg (11KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1495832995686.jpg
11KB, 251x242px
>>38546738
>>38546787
I'd like to see you normie fags write a kernel driver for Windows 64 bit in assembly.
>>
>>38546817
44k as a shitty qa. i'm leaving this shit job.
>>
>>38546368
nonono
only by proving mathematical theorems you can learn to taste the numbers anon
gotta have that magical programmer sense
>>
>>38546822
i'm not a normie anon. i graduated with an computer engineering degree because i wanted to learn a little both of hardware and software.
>>
I'm about to drop out after 2 years, I can't keep up and feel like shit for it so I'm going to try find something else to do with me life.
Whatever you do anon do not let the increase of new stuff to remember overwhelm you because if you are like me you'll keep forgetting and trying to relearn stuff you were taught semesters ago.
>>
>>38546822
have you done that? most of the projects i had in uni were babby tier
>>
im starting at a cc and i physically might not be able to do all the lower division math requirements for a cs degree within 2 years

thinking of switching to business or econ desu
>>
>>38546172
I think there's a natural predisposition to programming, for some people it's easy as fuck, for others it's surprisingly hard
>>
File: 1491964786230.jpg (83KB, 581x640px) Image search: [Google]
1491964786230.jpg
83KB, 581x640px
>>38546368
>discrete mathematics
>bad or unnecessary for CS

Dude, learn that shit. CS is applied math.
>>
>>38546738
Yeah, see, the thing about the Y-combinator is that it smuggles recursion into "pure" lambda calculus, but it's totally unnecessary in a language that puts the names of bindings within their own scopes. So this code looks very complicated, but in a way that's pretty ordinary with respect to CS theory.
>>
>>38546172
It basically depends on whether you've taken the rationalist pill. Do you like puzzles that consist of manipulating symbols, i.e., replacing symbols with other symbols based on rules that were handed down to you? Do you believe that the manipulation of symbols gives you power over the world, or an unusually deep understanding of it? Do you think that objects have a whatness (aka "essence") about them that gives them their identity, and the trick to understanding everything about the universe is figuring out a way to zero in on exactly what the whatness is?
If you answered yes to at least one of these questions, you should definitely get a degree in computer science. Or else in philosophy, physics, economics, or finance, because they're all the same discipline.
>>
Do Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering instead.

Hardware > Software
>>
>>38547221
CE is not about hardware, most computer engineers end up doing the same jobs as computer scientists
>>
>>38547221
this. software engineering has nothing to do with engineering at this point and most of what i do is debate the other shitty engineers over what frontend meme framework to use. Then, when youre actually doing work, you are fighting with people because their (((object oriented analysis))) skills are atrocious. it is truly a soft science unless you manage to get lucky and work on real time systems.
>>
>>38547335
oops. didnt mean to sage.
>>
File: 1402259569750.jpg (33KB, 636x571px) Image search: [Google]
1402259569750.jpg
33KB, 636x571px
>>38547221
I'm enrolled in software engineering under an EE faculty, thus we cover a decent part of hardware as well.

What I mean to say is: why not both?
>>
What does it take to get a PhD in CS?
>>
>>38548391
>What does it take to get a PhD in CS?
decent grades in an undergrad degree in CS
what kind of answer were you looking for
>>
>>38548443
I don't know if I'm intelligent enough to complete a PhD.
>>
>>38546570
>there's no "programming degree
it is called Software Engineering.
>>
>>38548595
The biggest problem is the lack of motivation and studying consistently.
>>
>>38548653
Shouldn't be a problem, my main concern is the intellectual barrier to entry that PhD programs seem to have. Once I get autistically interested in a subject, I can work really hard, but I don't think I'm a very intelligent person.
>>
File: 58cde527d9516153957394.gif (2MB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
58cde527d9516153957394.gif
2MB, 640x320px
>>38546368
I had discrete math but not calc. Get rekt faggot.
>tfw never had to use any sort of math after I passed my math class
And unless you go into Big Data or some shit you don't even need it.
>>
>>38546172

Too much math for me desu, I can get an A college Algebra but I never understood how people are able to pass calculus
>>
>>38546817
$55k
Looking for a new job at the moment.
>>
>>38548687
How is your undergrad going?
>>
>brainless drones self-replicating
>serving the plutocracy, helping them automate away the lives of everyone you know and love

"computer science" is probably the worst thing you could ever do in the context of this society

do you have any idea about mass surveillance? about the situation with banking and media/education?

if you are going to make software, do it for yourself, for your own profit, for freedom

the tools of your trade are CHEAP
the only limit is your will and imagination

too bad you spent all those years rotting in front of shitty TV/movies (anime) and playing shitty video games. too bad your diet is horrible and makes you retarded.

but maybe not. it could be the perfect trade if you can rise above your weaknesses
>>
>>38546368
>trying to learn RSA without discreet math
>trying to learn backpropagation without calc 2
good luck my dude
>>
>>38548709
Haven't started yet. I graduated high school two years ago and I'm starting college this fall. I learned to program in the meantime, so I shouldn't have problems with that. However, I haven't done any serious math yet, and I remember being bad at math in senior year - I hardly ever worked, but I didn't understand it intuitively like some guys did even though HS math is supposed to be baby tier.
Is this going to be a problem?
>>
>>38548840
CS is full of crazy calculus requirements. I might not even go for it desu
>>
>>38548840
It's way too soon to think about PhD
>>
>>38548868
Is it tedious or interesting?
>>38548869
I've been working on it for almost two years now. I know what fields I'm interested in and that I'll probably want to go to grad school.
>>
>>38546172
it isn't a computer. it isn't a science.

any twelve year old can learn this shit for free off youtube and google.
>>
>>38548899
idk i was a horrible math student in high school. Ive never seen calculus. and i probably shouldnt
>>
>>38548906
This is true, but only for the stuff you actually need to know to work as a programmer. Theoretical computer science is not for 12 year olds. I don't know if that's actually what CS students learn, but I doubt so, since programmers still mainly use garbage like Java that completely ignores the advancements in CS and was created by retards for retards.
>>
>>38548906
yes i know. many if not most programmers are self taught. Im just not sure if i can figure it out on my own desu. Maybe it just aint for me
>>
>>38546172
I've been a SE for a year now, here's some basic info for anyone interested. I can answer questions as well.

>Is it as hard as people make it out to be?
If you're bad at math and/or pattern recognition, you'll have a much harder time completing the coursework.

>How tough is it to get a job in the field?
If you're looking to get into the field, you should specialize in a "stack", which is a combination of languages used to solve a group of problems.

For example, a popular stack we look for at my company is Java & SQL. Web development positions typically look for JavaScript & a framework for accelerating development, like Angular or React.

In general, the easiest languages are also the ones with the most jobs available (Java & JavaScript). Start there and branch out if you feel like it.

>Is it a worthwhile career in the long run?
If you enjoy solving puzzles, absolutely. You get the "rush" of solving a difficult problem while at work, which ends up making it feel like you're not really working at all.

Like every career though, this all depends on the environment you work in. My company is very relaxed on rules, so we often work from home and hold a "scrum" meeting over the phone once a day to figure out who is doing what. Managers leave the programmers alone to do their work, so no one's breathing down my neck to get stuff done. This lets everyone get their shit done on time without any bullshit, since we all trust one another to get things done.

I have friends who accepted jobs at more well-known companies, and for the most part, they hate it. Working for a giant corporate entity devolves the atmosphere into a fear-based environment, where simply saying you don't have enough time to finish a task could result in being put on a "performance improvement plan".
>>
>>38549014
Where do you live and how much do you make?
>>
>>38549014
and tell us, how did you start out, like in college and stuff? Did it come easy to you?
>>
>>38548974
Java is comfy as fuck, stay cucked
>>
>>38548687
The real issues for a PhD are creativity and self-motivation. That is, you have to be able to devise your own research agenda, which not everyone is good at.

>>38548974
>Java [...] was created by retards for retards
Java is not a good language by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a reflection of the time in which it was designed. For example, automatic garbage collection was seen as an important feature (and little surprise, most-to-all modern language are garbage collected), but to do that you need automatic reference counting, which means you have to further abstract the memory model. This involved totally doing away with pointers and "raw" data structures, and being unbelievably dogmatic about object orientation.
The modern languages (C#, Python, Ruby, whatever) have more in common with Java than with C++. Of course, the other direction to go with all this is to embrace S-expressions, but most programmers aren't clever enough to handle Lisp.
>>
>>38549161
A small town in NJ, I make 70k.

I've turned down better offers at larger companies for various different reasons, including (but not limited to):
No working remote.
Shittier health care plans.
Notoriously terrible work environments.

Quite frankly, I'd rather make less money if it means I can wake up whenever I want (minus meetings) and do my work in a comfortable environment. Money is meaningless if you hate your entire existence because you're working 10+ hours a day and commuting far.
>>
>>38549258
Ever think about working for google?
>>
>>38549258
Hook a european student up with an internship in the spring there please
>>
>>38549191
I've been programming as a hobby since I was a teenager. I started with Visual Basic .NET, then went to C++ and finally Java. I've also enjoyed math my entire life, which made it much easier to learn.

Many things came easy (understanding scope, types, inheritance, etc.), but other concepts I honestly didn't fully comprehend until I was working on serious projects in my last two years of college.

For the most part, the thing I struggled with the most (and still do) is worrying if my code is shit. Programmers are known to suffer from Imposter Syndrome, since most of our work gets laid bare to everyone once we claim we're done. Even if you're great at a language, code reviews can be very nerve-wracking.

>>38549351
I turned down an offer from them actually, Their terms for hiring me included me relocating to Seattle, which I had no intention of doing. Amazon and Google are both driving up the price of living there by mass-importing engineers and I wanted no part of it.

>>38549370
If you have any personal projects in a commonly used language, I'd be more than happy to look at it.
>>
>>38549411
I have NodeJS stuff from my previous internship, a small React project I'm trying to do to learn it and a NodeJS ish project made during my minor last semester which is kinda messy.
Should I drop a contact?
>>
>>38549239
Garbage collection and object oriented programming were invented more than 50 years ago. Java was not innovative in anything, it wasn't needed, it only became popular because it was heavily advertised in the industry, by people with no real knowledge of theoretical computer science. This is reflected in its very primitive type system, the fact that very important features like parametric polymorphism and lambda abastractions were only added lately, and in the fact that people needed to invent design patterns to make up for the flaws of OOP, a paradigm whose semantics were never formalized and whose benefits never proven. Lisp is not necessarily the only alternative, even the OOP paradigm could benefit a lot from the advancements in type theory (see Rust).
>>
>>38549503
Yep, drop an email/github/whatever and I'll look at it. My company needs more JS people for improving our front-end, although we use Angular over React due to React's license terms.

I can't make any guarantees about getting the internship btw, most interns here get in from knowing someone unfortunately, although most of our full-time hires are actually recruited via normal means.
>>
>>38549605
Alright shoot a mail at [email protected] and I'll send my github link since my github has my real name on it
>>
>>38546495
calc is fine
>>
>>38549590
OOP is awful design, but it's the best we've got. I don't think there's a paradigm that scales better than OOP. And yea, Java is more or less Smalltalk with a nicer syntax. Same as OOP, it's used because it's proven and 'it just werks lol'
>>
File: 1499535448922.png (31KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
1499535448922.png
31KB, 300x250px
*watches you apply for a codemonkey job*
>>
>>38546172
Im not sure if this is off topic but is network secuirty better than CS? Is there a big difference in pay? Harder/easier to get hired? I enjoy doing both but ive been slowly drifting to the netsec side of things.
>>
https://teachyourselfcs.com/ this a good place to start ?
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.