[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm working as a programmer right now, but when I'm

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: beef.jpg (10KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
beef.jpg
10KB, 194x259px
So I'm working as a programmer right now, but when I'm working, I feel restless and unfocused on my task straight through. It took me two days to complete a task for work which I could've less than a day if I were fully focused, and it doesn't make me happy that I spend so much time to do so little. In the longterm, I feel this career choice might not work out, if I'm constantly fighting the temptation of internet access on my computer.

On the other hand, I fantasize about becoming a butcher, and preparing beef and pork and fish for a living, and also running a smokehouse off my family property. My sister is living in the old farmhouse on my dad's farm, and she's raising a pig, which should be ready for slaughter in the next couple months. She also has a steer which will be ready for slaughter next year. Also, my dad's girlfriend has a brother who hunts elk up in the northwest, and I might be able spend time with him and help pack out his kills and cure/smoke some of it with him.

The problem is that I am not an outdoorsman in the least, and I have very little experience with anything other than video games and MTG, and due to the fact that I'm working at a startup, I'm living pretty hand-to-mouth right now, so I don't have much in the way of money to fund a big life change like this.

What should I do? I could have an easy life moving into a better tech job, but I'd be too stretched thin from work hours to learn meat sufficiently, or I could take a big risk on learning a skill that might be more fulfilling but will have a lower income ceiling, but will also mean a closer relationship with my family, family business, and the food on my plate. How should I get started on becoming a butcher if going to school for it isn't really an option at this point?
>>
>>38489301
Spend more time with your sister and have her help you attain your dreams! Call her and tell her you love her right now!
>>
>>38489357
It's too late to call her. Besides I saw her yesterday and helped out with her daughter's first birthday last week. I'm just worried that when pig butchering time comes, her husband will be learning to butcher it with the guy he knows who knows all about that stuff, and I might be perceived as being in the way.
>>
>>38489391
NOTHING WRONG WITH HAVING TWO STUDENTS AT THE SAME TIME, GUY! DON'T LET YOUR INSECURITIES GET IN THE WAY OF YOUR DREAMS!
>>
>>38489542
I'm gonna ask if I can be there at least, and probably study up on all the pig parts so I know what all the meat words mean.
>>
>>38489569
I BELIEVE IN YOU! MAKE YOUR SISTER PROUD!
>>
>>38489634
can we stop with this sibling love stuff man? I'm not doing my life stuff for her, I'm doing it to be happy and independent, and ideally minimally connected to the grid.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.