[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did everything seem to completely change during this time?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

Why did everything seem to completely change during this time?
>>
>>38447999
2007 is when the internet went mainstream.
>>
>>38447999
for me everything has been shit since 2000 i think that everyone has there own personal year everything went to shit
>>
>>38447999
Runescape died and everything went downhill after that
>>
File: 1497404881989.jpg (39KB, 533x399px) Image search: [Google]
1497404881989.jpg
39KB, 533x399px
People seem to think things when to shit after 9/11 but I think things from Late 2001-2006 were still fantastic. I'd say it was Late 2006/2007 with the iPhone, Wii, Big bang theory, Recession, social media, etc. where things truly went downhill
>>
>>38447999
Fuck I love these threads, so comfy, desu.
>>
>>38447999

You started getting old. That's why only people around your own age see that year as a huge turning point.

Every other cohort has their own watershed year, when "everything changed". 2007 happens to be yours.

You are feeling the first wave of nostalgia, missing your childhood.
>>
Nothing changed in 2007.
>>
For me it was 2014

Like, at the start of that year, everyone was free to be themselves

The tumblr horseshit was confined to it's own corner of the internet

/pol/ was free to be /pol/ on its corner of the internet

All the PC bullshit hadn't gone into full swing
And I had finally reached cyborg-hood
There was a girl there that liked me, but I didn't know it until later
I had friends
And I was still able to get stuff at a discount (looked 12 at the time, was 16)

My raid team was the best on the server
Big games weren't getting worse but better
Old bands releasing new albums that were still good
Nobody gave nearly as many fucks about politics as they do now

like it all went downhill as that year went on

gamergate
obamacare
syria bullshit
>>
File: 1451973918119.jpg (44KB, 580x490px) Image search: [Google]
1451973918119.jpg
44KB, 580x490px
Tumblr began in 2007
>>
>Dawn of smart phones, allowing easier, more frequent internet access
>Web 2.0, ease of use increases, greater focus on real identities, surge in general traffic
>Facebook taking off and encroaching on MySpace, YouTube purchased by Google in the previous year, Tumblr founded, Twitter followed shortly after, then Instagram, the beginning of modern, omnipresent social media
>"Nerd culture" starting to get trendy, no longer confined to traditional forums and discussion boards, the image of someone into comic books and old video games goes from a fat neckbeard to a skinny hipster, retro tech is cool, different subcultures grow
More people around the world spending more time communicating with each other on a wider variety of topics can certainly result in cultural changes. I'm not convinced by those who say "everything is the same, you just grew up", considering I've heard people years apart in age report the same phenomenon around 2007. Of course, these changes would disproportionately affect those with more solitary hobbies who were already spending a large amount of time online a decade ago, which explains why you see this sentiment expressed on 4chan more often.
>>
>>38449120
>implying any of these things except for real info are bad things
>>
>>38447999
That's when you started middle school, right?
>>
>>38449166
I'm saying that the common feeling of change around that time period is easily explained. But I don't see how you can be in favor of modern social media but against real identities on the internet. These sites rely on people volunteering accurate information about themselves for increased profits.
>>
File: 38d.jpg (50KB, 600x604px) Image search: [Google]
38d.jpg
50KB, 600x604px
>>38449229
>But I don't see how you can be in favor of modern social media but against real identities on the internet.

>I don't see how you like being able to talk to your friends or make friends but not like attaching your real name
>>
For me 2012 was when it all went downhill. With that being said while my best years were 2010-2011 they were still mediocre in the grand scheme of things, I at least lacked the self-awareness to see how bad it was and could live in blissful ignorance.
>>
>>38449264
Modern social media. The keyword here is "modern". Reread my initial post and you'll see I was referring to sites like Facebook and Instagram, as well as Google, who want you to submit as much information as possible for the purpose of targeted ads and marketing data. You said none of this was a bad thing, except the real information part, which is inconsistent. It was perfectly possible to communicate and socialize online with just a screen name or anonymous on imageboards before modern social media. Facebook and Google didn't advance what you want at all.
>>
File: 066.jpg (169KB, 1930x1698px) Image search: [Google]
066.jpg
169KB, 1930x1698px
>>38449348
>the keyword here is modern

No fucking shit you autist

>reread my initial post
I read it the first time

>submit as much information for target ads
What is adblock
>marketing data
what is fake info

>it's inconsistent
pic related

No, it isn't.

You can be for centralized social media and be against attaching your real name

>it was perfectly possible to socialize online before
Centralized
Social
Media

>facebook and google didn't advance what you want at all
google+ was a shitshow because they forced it on us
facebook is run by kikes

The concept is fine.
>>
>>38449120
>considering I've heard people years apart in age report the same phenomenon around 2007
IRL or on 4chan?
>>
>>38449120
I was 9 in 2007
The 3 best consoles so far came out.
All I cared about at the time was vidya.

It was probably one of the better years of my life
>>
>>38449509
>No fucking shit
>I read it the first time
No, apparently you're still confused, just not for the reason you think.
>What is adblock
>what is fake info
With increased usage, there is increased incentive for these can be cracked down on. There are already ways to detect adblock and prevent the user from cheating their way out of advertising, of course. Taking steps toward more accurate verification would increase yield from targeted ads and datamining. Blocking and lying about things is going to become harder, not easier. Loving companies that desire your information above all and thinking that personal information on the internet is a negative requires some degree of cognitive dissonance. I've never encountered someone who prefers Facebook to more anonymized methods of communication and is against identities online. You are a bizarre normie.
>You can be for centralized social media
Not for anything owned by Facebook owned by Google. Their interest is centralized datamining, and you're foolish for thinking going to do anything but advance this cause.
>Centralized
>Social
>Media
Information
Retailing
Companies
If you needed something more than a messanger to talk to people online, then you are a normie who should have no problem giving people his real name. You probably post images of yourself as well, and AI can log details about you from the text you volunteer to these entitites. If you love the rest of the new web so much, you might as well accept this sooner than later.
YouTube and Android are not shitshows in terms of popularity, and Facebook owns Instagram.
>The concept is fine.
Datamining and ads? Working for free under the guise of "keeping up with friends"? Giving these companies more resources to take more of the internet? What strange, short-sighted concept do you have in mind? You're terribly confused, and it will be amusing when you have your accounts suspending for suspicion of spam and have to give a phone number, or eventually, ID.
>>
>>38449739
I'm 3 years older than you and 2007 was when I noticed Cartoon Network was going to shit, and the "kid culture" was getting faggier and lamer,
>>
>>38449702
Both. I've talked to people a decade or more older than me and noticed we had similar thoughts. Not everybody's life started to down spiral in 2007, but there was a change.
>>
File: 1499871479977.jpg (29KB, 500x445px) Image search: [Google]
1499871479977.jpg
29KB, 500x445px
>>38449756
>There are already ways to detect adblock and prevent the user from cheating their way out of advertising, of course.
wew lad you really are a big brain wojak
Did you know: You can block the scripts that detect adblock

>Taking steps toward more accurate verification would increase yield from targeted ads and datamining.
If you had to submit your ID to use facebook for the first time, nobody would use it faggot

>Blocking and lying about things is going to become harder, not easier
"hurr I don't understand how technology works but I'm gonna act like I do"

>Loving companies that desire your information above all and thinking that personal information on the internet is a negative requires some degree of cognitive dissonance
Are you autistic? I said that I'm against personal information on the internet

>. I've never encountered someone who prefers Facebook to more anonymized methods of communication and is against identities online.
Point to me the line where I said this

>Not for anything owned by Facebook owned by Google. Their interest is centralized datamining, and you're foolish for thinking going to do anything but advance this cause.

I said I don't like either of those kikes faggot, read the bottom of the post

>If you needed something more than a messanger to talk to people online, then you are a normie who should have no problem giving people his real name.

I said that I was against listing my real name, remember this

>You probably post images of yourself as well, and AI can log details about you from the text you volunteer to these entitites

As a matter of fact, I don't. I use an anime pfp and an alias everywhere

> If you love the rest of the new web so much, you might as well accept this sooner than later.
Centralized, social, media
Everyone is there. You don't need a million accounts to discuss a million things and there are groups for that instead.

>Datamining and ads?
what is adblock

Account gets suspended? Make a new one.
>>
Would someone born in 1997 associate their childhood more with the "classic 2000s"(Sept 11 2001-2006) or the "modern 2000s"(2007-2009)?
>>
>>38449971
Modern 2000s, I don't even remember the classic 2000s
>>
>>38449988
Your memory is weaker than a piss in the ocean. I remember many things from when I was 5-9 years old.
>>
>>38447999
>you will never ever play unsullied, vanilla, original tf2 for the first time ever again
>>
>>38450024
Lets see...

Wars
Neocons
Youtube

yup

that's about all I remember from that era, perhaps being born at the end of that year had something to do with it
>>
>>38448509
Pretty much it, aging scares the shit out of me.
>>
>>38449872
>You can block the scripts that detect adblock
Did you know: If advertisement connections decline, and revenue threatens to follow, more sophisticated methods of ensuring that you are paying for your "free" service will be rolled out? Another example of short-sightedness. "Things will stay as they are right this minute, forever"
>If you had to submit your ID to use facebook for the first time, nobody would use it faggot
Do you suppose it may be an effective business practice to first test the waters and then slowly push the envelope once customers have shown they are willing to tolerate just a little more intrusion? Have you noticed that these sites have been developing and implementing new methods and standards over the course of time, or are you hopelessly blind by that, too?
>"hurr I don't understand how technology works but I'm gonna act like I do"
You are a naive and don't understand how a business works. They have absolutely no reason to let you use their resources if you're refusing to view advertisements and attempting to submit data that isn't verifiable and useful to them. They have nothing to gain from you and you everything to lose.
>Point to me the line where I said this
You want everything the modern internet offers, but you oddly draw the line at the personal information which has become the lifeblood of the modern internet. This indicates you are terribly confused, but are arguing as if you aren't, and using memes to compensate for being misinformed.
>I said I don't like either of those kikes faggot
Yet you, by preferring their services to preexisting ones because they cater to your hypernormal sensibilities, have helped them control more of the internet over time. Don't attempt to lie and say you hate them when you previously said you had no problem with them. >>38449166
Those kikes you have no problem with aren't bad things, remember?
>>
>>38449872
Cont.
>As a matter of fact, I don't.
Oh, you will. And if you have a problem, you'll be in the minority that can be cast aside without much care.
>alias
Not for long.
Shortsightedness strikes again.
>what is adblock
Circumvented or made obsolete soon. You can't believe they're going to let that stand between them and advertising profits? Then again, you probably do.
Shortsightedness strikes again.
>Account gets suspended? Make a new one.
>get prompted for a phone number or other method verification
SHORT-SIGHTEDNESSS STRIKES AGAIN
>>
>>38449971
I was born January 96 and associate my childhood with early 2000s up until 06. I was old enough to remember the "90s feel" that lingered until the end of 2003"
>>
>>38447999
>my opinion is a meme now, so everyone will think I'm an even bigger faggot if I share it
Thanks, /r9k/.
>>
You mean 2010 (roundness not intended)

this was when the age of style-or-die really took over. before then, life in America for younger people had a concern for style in it, but not to the extreme that we are currently dealing with now.
>>
File: 1388254857824.jpg (84KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
1388254857824.jpg
84KB, 368x368px
>>38450216
>Did you know: If advertisement connections decline, and revenue threatens to follow,
hold up mr INTP big brain, they make money through selling data. In my case, they're selling fabricated data.
>Do you suppose it may be an effective business practice to first test the waters and then slowly push the envelope once customers have shown they are willing to tolerate just a little more intrusion?
Did you know: This is why blockchain is becoming a thing
>You are a naive and don't understand how a business works.
No faggot, I do. That's why I give them no real data or interests.
>They have nothing to gain from you and you everything to lose.
I have nothing to lose from just a fake name faggot
>You want everything the modern internet offers, but you oddly draw the line at the personal information which has become the lifeblood of the modern internet.
Are you really this autistic that everything has to be black or white
>Yet you, by preferring their services to preexisting ones because they cater to your hypernormal sensibilities, have helped them control more of the internet over time.
Yes, the concept of a small group of social networks is good.
Kikes running the networks, are not good.
>Oh, you will. And if you have a problem, you'll be in the minority that can be cast aside without much care.
oh no I've been cast aside for not showing my real face ;_;
>Not for long.
You cannot prove a generic name is fake especially if you never say it is fake.
>Circumvented or made obsolete soon.
what is noscript
>SHORT-SIGHTEDNESSS STRIKES AGAIN
Making a new account != shortsightness

I've talked to a lot of robots and you are by far the most autistic and paranoid, this coming from someone who only uses fork browsers so mozilla and jewgle can't fuck you
>>
Also, hirohito nakadashi is selling 4chan user data if you didn't already know
>>
The internet started to become more.appealing to the main stream from this point. Recession turned people into cucks and the Internet was used a way to give sjw a platform then never had before.

The Internet has totally been ruined by ultra normies. The yolo type who now think they are computer experts because of there sellie skills and ability to use instagram on Thierry iPhone.

The Internet used to be a chill place where it was seen to be nerdy to use often. That was fine with me and I'm quite normie
>>
>>38450550
quite possibly the worst possible opinion in this thread
kill yourself for typing this stupid shit up and thinking it was good enough to submit
>>
>>38450660
t. facebooking ultra-normie
>>
>>38448146
I think those things you listed are indeed describing late 2007 but a better reason could be made
>>
>>38450660
Apart from my terrible spelling which I blame on this shit phone I'm using what's wrong with it my friend
>>
File: Z5dghLr.jpg (43KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Z5dghLr.jpg
43KB, 500x500px
>>38450730
>admitting to being a phoneposter
>>
>>38448068
this

internet went to shit when normies got involved
>>
>>38450743
I might at work. I'm not going on r9k on a work pc.
>>
File: 0016.png (5KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
0016.png
5KB, 160x160px
>>38450791
>work
>/r9k/
>>
>>38448081
Mine is 2001.
>>
>>38447999
Most people on /r9k/ were born in 1993-1998, so 2007 is the year their childhoods ended.
>>
>>38449774
Where I live, kid culture already started getting lame in early 2000s.
>>
>>38449292
2012 was a fucking awful year
>>
>>38450806
Can you please actually make a counter argument please
>>
>>38448146
smart phones along with social media really changed everything.
>>
my faourite vidya came out in 2007
>>
>>38449774
>>38449739
>>38449188
Right around the time I was starting middleschool. That's the age where being cool changes having the best toys to smoking weed and drinking. The reason why cartoons exist on television is to sell toys; marketing exists in age ranges
>>
>>38451154
Which one was it guy?
>>
>>38447999
I've been a shut-in ever since I was 5 years old, it has been shit from the start for me.
>>
>>38447999
2 words: Krispenwah
>>
>>38447999
More like 2014

Orig
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.