[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is smoking cigarettes considered bad today but in the 50s

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_6013.jpg (365KB, 1280x856px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6013.jpg
365KB, 1280x856px
Why is smoking cigarettes considered bad today but in the 50s literally everywhere had ashtrays and no one was constantly cough shit up and suffocating
>>
>>38221767
Because back then people had no idea what kind of damage they were doing and I also assume that (((tobacco companies))) weren't putting rat poison in them.
>>
Why is asbestos bad today whrn back then it was used everywhere and no one got mesothelioma?
>>
>>38221862
>asbestos

it's really only dangerous to people who smoke. there's something much much worse about the combination of the two than either alone
>>
>>38221767
They were u autistic chimp its just they thought it was the norm to wake up coughing up black tar since everyone and their dog was smoking back then
>>
File: 1462940546875.jpg (349KB, 1024x788px) Image search: [Google]
1462940546875.jpg
349KB, 1024x788px
>>38221767
>people went outside and got lots of natural sunlight everyday
>people were physically active in most of their jobs and home life
>men had workshops, not "man caves" filled with figurines and video games
>food was far less processed and more local
>we let our poor people go hungry instead of becoming diabetic fat asses
>people were more social and had deeper friendships

all these outweighed the life-shortening effects of smoking.

in modern times we have gotten good at extending the length of people's lives while allowing their quality of life to turn to pure shit.
>>
>>38221986
I don't like that pic. Way too much white.
>>
>>38222106
Have we gotten to a point where a society or even a small picture depicting people of only one race now looks strange?
>>
File: walmart.jpg (507KB, 2650x1988px) Image search: [Google]
walmart.jpg
507KB, 2650x1988px
>>38222127
let's have a test
>>
>>38222127
Yeah, man. It's kinda creepy, actually.

>>38222149
This is good. I like this one.
>>
>>38222106
then I guess you should leave.
>>
>>38222173
>>38222149
I'm thinking maybe it's because of the art style of the picture with the white people that makes it creepy. Can anyone find a picture of black people that looks creepy?
>>
>>38221767
oh child, you were not around in the late 80s early 90's before all that started getting phased out aggressively and it was largely contained to the 'smoking section'. I don't know how a lot of these places renovated the old smoking rooms but the room would be filled with cigarette smoke to the point it was like a cloud all over the entire room and people would be coughing a fucking ton all over it.
>>
>>38222224
>Can anyone find a picture of black people that looks creepy?

every picture
>>
>>38222224
>find a picture of black people that looks creepy
>>
>>38221767
the lack of proper scientific studies done about the effects of smoking tobacco on your health and the massive efforts by the industry to suppress any studies like these from ever being published or funded.

that being said fuck that. there's something so cathartic about lighting up a cigarette and taking that first drag that even if nicotine had the effects of krokodil I'd be smoking right until I killed myself.

It's a god damn addictive drug anon, it's honestly lame it fucking does nothing for you after a week or less of smoking regularly. But getting up to that point where it does nothing its just such an ingrained piece of behavior offering moderate benefits with little to no immediate effects like fuck yeah I want that
>>
>>38222106
>waaah i dont like white people smiling in an environment they are comfortable in waaaah

Fuck off cunt. Literaly go die.
>>
>>38222302

this is why i buy a couple packs every year. get to enjoy the comfy effects and none of the addiction
>>
>>38222332
Everything would be much better if only they put a Person of Color in there. What the hell is so bad about wanting a little diversity?

Man, the 50s must have fucking sucked.
>>
>>38222302
i smoke like 5 a day and have for like 10 years and havent ever notcied any ill effects of coughing besides the regular cough but think it will eventually fuck my shit up even a 5 a day
>>
>>38221908

Asbestos is dangerous to everyone. It's more dangerous to smokers, because their lungs are already fucked up from smoking.

But people who don't smoke can still get mesothelioma/asbestosis.
>>
File: 1468791360561.png (476KB, 576x565px) Image search: [Google]
1468791360561.png
476KB, 576x565px
>>38221767
Fuck, that looks comfy as fuck.
>>
>>38222149
well, at least they're working
>>
>>38222471
>this is why i buy a couple packs every year. get to enjoy the comfy effects and none of the addiction

dude your nicotine rushes must be legendary haha

>>38222492
5-10 a day in middle school, pack a day throughout high school 2 packs a day on weekends with nothing to do (strictly limit to a pack a week currently)

I swam competitively a bajillion years ago and never really noticed any effects from smoking that much. Quit varsity in 11th grade when around when I stopped smoking.

Came back senior year having not trained at all or done any significant physical activities and was actually faster lmfao.

Smoke fucks you up especially and obviously your lungs but in a slow compounding way that I don't give a shit about and nobody else gives a shit about until a decade or whatever after smoking that heavily.

So I'm going to proceed with not giving a shit about it, I'll die a short painful death in my 50s worse case scenario and that's that. The infinite comforts, friendships, and situations that smoking tobacco has gotten me into is well worth it.
>>
>>38222665
Not him but at 5 a day I seriously doubt that would lead to a death from copd or cancers

theres some heavy smokers out there
>>
>>38222696

It would still inflate lung disease chances just like living in a heavily polluted urban area.

but seriously just let me smoke and shoot me when I become completely useless to society.
>>
>>38221797
> and I also assume that (((tobacco companies))) weren't putting rat poison in them.
>putting rat poison in cigarettes
How the fuck is this even legal

MEANWHILE WEED IS ILLEGAL, which is far less harmful to your health.

Just goes to show how much power corporations have in our capitalist society and money is all that matters.

'MURRICA!
>>
>>38222802
DUDE WEED

originialio
>>
>>38222802
desu i think it's the literal millions of people globally addicted to nicotine combined with the children of heavy smokers who think "well my parents smoked a lot and they're still here" or some other anecdotal bullshit evidence like that that they can spin to benefit themselves for appearing strong and determined "despite that I never picked up a cigarette"
>>
File: 1490588517957.jpg (180KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1490588517957.jpg
180KB, 1200x800px
>>38222852
same poster~

seems like a feel good trap so that you can laugh at those poor people smoking
>>
>>38222802
Marijuana is a plant too, dipshit. There difference between the two are minimal.
>>
>>38222844
DUDE YOU'RE RETARDED

LMAO!

>>38222879
I never said it wasn't a plant, dipshit. Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit I see.

And yes, there is quite a difference between the two.
>>
>>38221767
>and no one was constantly cough shit up and suffocating
They did, the movies and tvs you watch about that era that glorify that stuff are either about people too young to really be affected yet or just omitted completely. But if you want to smoke then do it, just be willing to accept the health problems in the future.
>>
>>38221986
>tfw poor
>tfw fat in childhood and now that I'm away from my parents trying to lose it
We should go back to starving the poor
>>
>>38222941
Both are grown, both are smoked as cigarettes, both are sold for lots of profit, both are addicting. Not all that different until you start looking at specific pharmacology. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>38222879

>There difference between the two are minimal.

No, the difference is considerable.

"Common sense" is wrong here. Tobacco smoke is far more harmful to health than cannabis smoke.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/10/study-smoking-marijuana-not-linked-with-lung-damage/

There is no comparison. The smoke from tobacco is seriously more dangerous to human health than the smoke from cannabis.
>>
>>38223007
One has several medicinal properties. The other is worthless for medicinal use. Kill yourself, retarded autist.
>>
>>38223046
It's really not, fucking HappyHealthTime420.bz is not a reliable journal. Inhaling any kind of smoke is terrible for you. In terms of harm the difference between smoking tobacco and marijuana is negligible. Compare the effects of plain tobacco and plain marijuana smoked in the same manner and you will see the exact same thing, lung damage from smoke.
>>
>>38223092
I'm guessing you are either a tobacco or weed junkie. Both have many medicinal properties. Kys,stoner/tobaccer. Whichever one it is that you abuse, it has obviously given you irreversible brain damage.
>>
>>38222802
>>38222844
>>38222879
Marijuana(smoked) is cancerous and mentally addictive. I know weed makes you feel really happy while making you 15% less intelligent, but it isn't some LOL GOD'S GIFT TO THE PLANET MAAAN!!!
>>
File: woodsman.png (62KB, 396x366px) Image search: [Google]
woodsman.png
62KB, 396x366px
>>38221767
Got a light? Got a light? Got a light? Got a light? Got a light? Got a light? Got a light? Got a light?
>>
>>38221767
Vaping and hookah if you're a fucking normie in college is still socially acceptable.
>>
>>38223174
I don't smoke either, you projecting retard.

Also nice bait. I give it a 7/10
>>
>>38221767
Japan is the last bastion of the free smoking world.

You can still smoke in most places (including bars, Burger King and coffee shops) and some train cars which have an ashtray built into the handrest.

Recently there has been pressure from International health organisations to ban smoking in public spaces because of Olympics.

It's sad, to see the last part of a long history of smoking if it will get banned.
>>
>>38222696
One of my sergeants used to chain smoke like crazy and was able to keep up with guys a third of his age. Like full blown lighting a dart with another with a full lip of dip usually as well. You can honestly get away with a lot of smoking if you have an active lifestyle.
>>
>>38221797
I always assumed the "rat poison" thing is just a common ingredient in both products phrased to make it sound much worse than it is.
>>
>>38222295

Nursing homes that have long term care are not creepy...

Theyre just depressing as fuck.
>>
20 years from now, you're going to see pictures and videos from 2017 and say: "Holy crap, people are holing cell phones right next to their heads!"

"They had no idea about the brain cancer."
>>
>>38223208
Got any sources to back up this bullshit?
>>
Started smoking when I was 18. Seldomly at first, but by age 21 (25 now) I am up to half a pack a day. I've tried to quit a bunch of times but my willpower is bullshit. I want off this ride, bots. How do?
>>
>>38223887

Have you ever cleaned out a dirty bowl? You see all the tar and shit stuck in there? How is that not horrible for you?
>>
>>38223894
start by smoking the same ammount but only puff 5 of them and then next week smoke 8 and puff 2 and stay like that for a while until 6 but puff 1 and smoke 5 and just keep down sizing

and as far as a new thing to fill the void myabe try coffee, candy like jolly ranchers

youll probably disregard this but even chwing some tobacco is nice and actual chew not snuff or dip you dont get much nicotine at all, i mena like maybe the ammount youd get from being around someone smoking aka you cant feel it at all it just tatses like tobacco and lasts 40-60 minutes
>>
>>38223894
Just keep yourself busy in places you can't smoke. In basic there was so little time for anything other than getting shit on that I couldn't be assed to run a mile for a single drag of a smoke. By the end of it I didnt feel cravings anymore.

Although I willingly picked it back up again because when you've been up for like 70 hours in freezing rain sitting in a fucking hold fire position nicotine is the one thing you keeps you sane.
>>
>>38223909
So the answer is no, you don't have any sources
>>
>>38223972

What do you mean? Light the cigarette and suck but don't inhale?

>>38223978
I'm always in a place where I can smoke. I don't have enough shit to keep me busy for as long as it would take me to quit cold turkey.
>>
>>38224027
>Light the cigarette and suck but don't inhale?
yes by puff i mean instead of inhaling i mean just have it in your mouth for taste like you would a cigar or pipe
>>
>>38223991

Keep telling yourself that all that tar and shit isn't going to hurt you. If you want to completely disregard common sense, then more power to you.
>>
>>38224061

I actually like that idea a lot. Thanks for the tip anon.
>>
>>38224110
no problem

also seriously though chewing tobacco not snuff or dip is also a great way, you get the tobacco flavor for a long time and no nicotine really just remeber to spit. i recommend levi garrett

snuff and dip how ever is like smoking 4 cigarettes at once after 20 minutes and always makes me feel like puking so i dont use it
>>
They didn't know the results of smoking would cause. People know what the results are.
>>
>>38224176

I'm not in a position to judge but chewing tobacco personally grosses me out.

Also, I think my addiction has more to do with the action of smoking rather than the taste. I've toyed with the idea of getting a vape pen with a zero nicotine just so I have something to smoke. If I were to do any replacements, it would probably be that.
>>
>>38224248
oh okay i get you

i just like the way cigs, chew and coffee go together especially cigs during coffee and chew after
>>
>>38223673
>smoking and dipping at the same time

Damn son
>>
File: phonegirls_converted.webm (1017KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
phonegirls_converted.webm
1017KB, 640x360px
>>38223811
>feel bad for lonely old people
>decide to volunteer to hang out with the elderly a nursing home
>show up at the same time as others who volunteered
>all other volunteers are stacys who are doing mandatory volunteer hours for their college
>i sit down with an old person and start talking and we play cards
>can tell this old guy is grateful to have an actual conversation with someone from the outside
>tells me cool stories about awesome shit he used to do when he was younger
>turn my head and notice all the stacys are sitting at a single long table together - not even talking to the residents
>each one is on her phone
>literally just using the nursing home to get signed off on volunteer hours
>old people are sitting alone in crippling lonely silence at each table a stacy was assigned to
>volunteer hour ends
>we all go home
>>
>>38222665
>two packs a day
Nigga how do you afford that?
>>
>>38221767
You realize the Nazis proved smoking was bad for you? It's degenerate as fuck
>>
>>38224064
>tar
lmfao just stop pretending you're doing anything other than pushing an agenda
>>
>>38223819
It's true though.

Normies getting fucked one way or another because they're stupid as fuck.
>>
File: oldman2.jpg (103KB, 780x780px) Image search: [Google]
oldman2.jpg
103KB, 780x780px
>>38224602
rage feels i didn't need to feel
>>
>>38224602
Good on you for being a refreshing face to them. I had to help take care of my grandma for years and it was way more preferable than sticking her in a home.
>>
>>38223581
>Recently there has been pressure from International health organisations to ban smoking in public spaces because of Olympics.

WOW banned because of the fucking cucklords of all cucklords...olympians...

Only normies give a shit about the olympics anyways

Fuck athletes
>>
>>38221986
how are they not all fucking roasting in wool pants and high collared shirts/dresses at a summer cookout
>>
>>38225927
people were tougher back then. every man knew how to fix his own car.
>>
>>38221986
>hhm things used to look good that must mean things now is bad
:thinking:
go get your diagnosis
>>
>>38225927
global warming

oringally
>>
>>38221767
OP I like this pic, makes me nostalgic for a time I wasn't around in, anymore?
>>
File: image.jpg (95KB, 444x392px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 444x392px
>>38224602
if you were cute:
>look at Chad isn't he soooo sweet, I wanna talk to old people too
but you're not cute:
>why is that creep talking to the smelly old guy, ew, probably wants to rape him later
>>
File: 1498714730066.png (16KB, 958x660px) Image search: [Google]
1498714730066.png
16KB, 958x660px
>>38227548
third choice, they don't even notice your presence, and continue doing what they're doing
>>
>>38223139

Except you don't, and I didn't link to happyhealthtime420 or whatever the fuck.

You're appealing to common sense. In this case, common sense is wrong.

The empirical evidence clearly shows that cannabis smoke is not as harmful to the lungs or other parts of the body as tobacco smoke.
>>
>>38229275
>>38223139

It was surprisingly difficult for scientists to prove that cannabis smoke is carcinogenic, because the data in most countries was corrupted by dealers cutting the cannabis with tobacco (which also made it a gateway drug; I knew someone at school who got hooked on cigarettes after starting out on marijuana).

Eventually they proved it using data from New Zealand.
>>
>>38222471
Colored people are going to make humanity extinct. Niggers plus nukes equals no more humans.
>>
>>38221797
>>38221862
>>38221986

youre all retarded

they dont put rat poison, jet fuel, or cleaning solvents in fucking cigarettes.

When smoking the combustion of tobacco and thus the smoke inhaled, contains similar carcinogens that are found in the aforementioned rat poison, drain cleaner etc...
>>
>>38222149
Was that on black Friday?
>>
>>38221986
Your upper middle class idealization makes me laugh. How horribly narrow.
>>
>>38221767
coughing only ever shows itself when you are trying to stop smoking...
>>
File: 1493003639985.jpg (501KB, 800x884px) Image search: [Google]
1493003639985.jpg
501KB, 800x884px
>>38221767
Well they had to wait for the studies to happen. It takes a generation to see how a popular drug affects the body long term, it takes time to see the damage.

Which makes me wonder what the millineal generation will look like in 50 years with all the new substances they get thrown on.
>>
>>38221767
>people in the past never got sick
True. You never hear about the ancient romans getting cancer.
>>
>>38221986
>this triggers the liberal
>>
>>38230463
People probably didn't live long enough to develop cancer.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.