[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjs 2gPa5sD0 What's R9

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

File: jordan-smaller-1024x683.jpg (102KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
jordan-smaller-1024x683.jpg
102KB, 1024x683px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjs2gPa5sD0

What's R9K's view on IQ?
I've been exploring the views of Jordan Peterson recently like all of you, and his views on the matter are that IQ peaks when you hit 22, and that it is a general real measurement of aptitude and what you can and can do in life.
What I'm getting from the video is that your IQ is a determining factor in what you can and can't do in life and you can do very little to improve it (based on some quick research). If you have an IQ lower than the cutoff of 116 you can be a lawyer(for example) yes, but you wont be a good one and you will always struggle.
Now coming from a guy whos opinion i value, this is kind of dream crushing. I always thought that if I worked at it, I could be anything I wanted to be but at 22 I'm a dumb-dumb and according to Peterson I will be a dumb-dumb for the rest of my life.
>>
File: 1487014873839.jpg (6KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1487014873839.jpg
6KB, 200x200px
Yes, Jordan did a good job at dashing my motivation as well. I've given up on being anything at this point.
>>
okay so, im lost

k i cleaned most of my room, but i cant find the dragon? i have no idea if im suppose to slay the dragon, or befriend the dragon to fight the spooky evil spirit of my forefathers grave? im not sure.... maybe i didnt clean my room enough?
>>
IQ certainly plays a role but the way it's measured is a bit lacking. As he has stated, intelligence is divided in categories, of which IQ tests usually test only a few.
It's an indication of probable suitability but should not be used exclusively.
>>
>>38177175
>and his views on the matter are that IQ peaks when you hit 22
Wasn't it 25?
Anyway, I think Jordan Peterson's lectures on personality were excellent but only the Big Five ones the other parts were to much woo for me.

What I wanted to say that if you read into stuff from cognitive science, neuroscience, evolutionary psychology and endocrinology, even systems science you'll find that life is even more unfair as it you think it was.

In some ways I think it would be better if I hadn't known some of it. I am at the age of 25 so I already peaked in cognition and at age 25 - I though it was but I'm unsure - your personality is also stalled.

However reading non-fiction is my greatest pleasure. And the one thing I can be positive about is that the probability that I am creative seems rather high. But then again I haven't really done something with it yet, and it seems likely that creativity has already peaked as well.

So my advice is to try some ways to not make it affect you and maybe that means thinking differently. You can always make up stuff.
>>
>>38177175
Just fucking do it, intelligence is many things

If you think a number will stop you from doing anything you should just give up already and work a shitty shit job at mcdonalds
>>
>>38177175
He raises an important point there.
But, I think what matters as much as IQ is the way you learn. How you look, judge and criticise yourself. "What am I lacking", "Why am I not good" and figuring the answer.
Personally I don't remember this being taught in school, at least not explicitly. And it plays a huge part in getting better at anything, whether it's a language, an instrument or a science domain.
>>
>take iq tests
>always get 130+
>try just spamming options
>get like 110+ every time clicking random things instantly without looking
>"average" is like 90-100
>literally can't get that low on any test I take (apart from the mensa one, which I get 95 for spamming ALL incorrect answers on purpose)

??????????????????????

IQ is a fucking shit meme
>>
File: tmp_6695-1486240343773833716708.png (154KB, 864x588px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_6695-1486240343773833716708.png
154KB, 864x588px
How fucked am I? 23 years old if it matters.
>>
>>38180059
Do you happen to be of African descent?
>>
>>38177207
>mfw IQ 110
>mfw aspiring to become a surgeon
welp.
>>
File: trap2.jpg (55KB, 466x700px) Image search: [Google]
trap2.jpg
55KB, 466x700px
>>38177175
IQ explains 16-25% of variance in achievement
It matters, a lot, but it's not the only factor

being lazy is very detrimental (and being lazy is in fact - genetic)
>>
>>38180059
How do people function with IQ this low?
>>
>>38180100
No, I'm a slav. Dropped out of math at uni because I realised I'm too much of a brainlet.
>>
>>38180182
Well, I guess it isn't so hard. It just take me a lot of time to learn new concepts.
>>
>>38180223
Is there some stuff you can't learn? I've always wanted to believe that people are capable, but just don't try. However, some people actually seem unable to learn some important things
>>
>>38180187
the fuck?

im slavic jewish and i failed every class BUT math

i basically got the highest grade in math every year with zero studying. i tried my hardest on the rest of the classes and i barely passed or failed them. thats it

slavs are notorious for being autistically good in math

i regularly beat out asian kids in math
>>
>>38180404
>tfw you won the intelligence lottery, as math is the only important subject
Feels good anon, no?
>>
What am I supposed to do with an IQ of 108? If I'm a NEET, what careers are actually worth pursuing if I can't even go to college?
>>
>>38180644
You were born to be a strong man, lift and be a bouncer or security
>>
>>38180644
Bypass the college anon. Make a mobile app or something that is visible, and use that as your resume
>>
>>38177175
>you can be a lawyer(for example) yes, but you wont be a good one and you will always struggle.

most white collar professionals are already fucking morons, why does hearing that make you reluctant to try?
>>
>>38180523
yay hurray for being autistic and socially underdeveloped while neurotypical normies who were good in english enjoy a fulfilling social and sex life sure feels great being a smart incel virgin wooo
>>
>>38180699
Not really. I'm pretty average fitness-wise and I'm kind of a push-over as well. I guess those can be changed to some degree but that's beside the point.

It just feels disheartening when pretty much everyone around you growing up went off to college. Even on 4chan uni seems to be the norm, so I can't even stack up to that demographic.
>>
im pretty sure i have a sub-100 IQ like low 90s
how fucked am i
>>
>>38180404
I didn't fail it. I even got schoolarship, but still I felt like I was spending too much time compared to results I got and I won't ever be one of the best. So I decided to drop out.
>>38180317
Not really. It just takes me a lot longer to learn abstract concepts than it takes normal person. Now I'm studying medicine and it's a lot easier for me than math because there's nothing hard in learning by repetition.
>>
>tfw you will never experience your peak iq anymore

I always feel extremely dumb and slow but I am often surprised that many people are actually dumber than me and dont get concepts that seem really simple. Id estimate my iq at about 110.
>>
>>38177175
>Jordan Peterson
Have you cleaned your room today, anons? You can start by sorting yourself out and practicing your handshake
>>
>>38177175
I have an IQ of 112. What does that get me? I'm in college but not a stemfag and supposedly the average history major has an IQ of 119
>>
>>38180146
Doctor IQs average out at around 120-125
The bottom 0.5% of doctors have an IQ of 108

Anyway the most accurate IQ test is wonderlic as Jordan said.
Go on wonderlic, take their 50 question test (takes only 12 minutes unless you're a 180 IQ genius)
Then use the mensa percentile conversion table
https://www.us.mensa.org/join/testing/scoreevaluation/testscoreconversion/
Then look for your percentile on here
http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/iqtable.aspx
>>
>>38180182

81 isn't horribly retarded. Think of it this way: That's as stupid as a person with a 119 IQ is smart.
>>
>2017
>not watching Eggman for your motivation

I thought he was a stupid meme until getting bored one day and watching his channel. Eggy is the best.
>>
File: feel.png (114KB, 740x682px) Image search: [Google]
feel.png
114KB, 740x682px
>>38177175
Honestly OP, what you're dealing with right now is the result of something we call a fixed mindset, as opposed to a growth mindset. Google it, it's a pretty well documented phenomenon. People with fixed mindsets are always looking for reasons why they haven't succeeded yet. So when they fail, they say "It's because I'm just not inherently smart/talented enough." What this guy on Youtube has done is given you even more of a reason to keep thinking that way.

The problem with the fixed mindset is that it assumes that talent is the primary factor of success. However, there are many types of talent, and pretty much everyone is bound to have one of them. You may not have a 160 IQ, but maybe you see things differently than other people. Maybe you have some great idea, and while you can't bring it to fruition alone, you can do it with some hired help. It's pretty rare to find someone who hasn't got anything useful in him, and most failures in life are caused by people who just didn't look hard enough to find their gifts.

Don't let yourself fall in the trap of not having a genius IQ, because it's literally one number in an incredibly vast, mysterious process that is you. There are so many other things about you that make you unique and powerful, but it's up to you to take a trip inside yourself and find them.
>>
>>38182900
>Go on wonderlic, take their 50 question test (takes only 12 minutes unless you're a 180 IQ genius)
i took it and it told me my score was 22% and the average was 44%. n-no way... i know i'm not fucking dumb this is bullshit. are you allowed to use a calculator? this is basically telling me i'm retarded when i went to college and managed to almost graduate before i got burnt out on my stupid major.
>>
File: 454.png (72KB, 684x710px) Image search: [Google]
454.png
72KB, 684x710px
>clean my room
>knock a bunch of shit over
>find out a lot of shit that I thought was just "misplaced" is actually missing and I'll never get it back (like my favorite knife)
>disable my air conditioner by accident
>sit on the floor in a pool of sweat and tears and have a 30 minute panic attack
>fix my air conditioner,
>well at least my rooms clean
>3 days later it's back to the shithole it's always been
>clean my room
>knock a bunch of shit over in the process
>kick a bunch of shit under the radiator
>find out that even more shit is missing
>..............

I don't think it's working.
>>
>>38177175
>I always thought that if I worked at it, I could be anything I wanted to be but at 22 I'm a dumb-dumb and according to Peterson I will be a dumb-dumb for the rest of my life.

Welcome to life, where you realize 90% the things you were told as a kid were bullshit platitudes to shut you up and cuckufy you into society's machine.
>>
>>38177175
I think IQ has a disproportionate amount of popular interest behind it considering that knowing it is basically purely academic. People with low IQs generally are less likely to be successful and competent but it doesn't necessarily preclude such. The most important take-away is that psychometrics are meme science.

The most annoying thing about IQ is the sense of validation it gives to 'smart but lazy' faggots even though they will never actually accomplish anything so it's immaterial
>>
>>38177175
good riddance. if you're easily dissuaded from doing what you want by a "psychologist" then you deserve to be crushed. you're another dude in his 20s with no balls, and you'll make another guy rich with no competition.
>view on IQ
measures how well you do on an IQ test. do you know what it's actually used for? statistical trend analysis. correlations in problem solving skills across demographics of millions of people who have unique backgrounds. taking IQ as a physical barrier to success is like looking at the rate at which humans get diagnosed with cancer, and never going outside again in your life.

>very little to improve it
this is an "after the fact" point. the way that the brain functions, you never stop developing (or regressing, if you stop stimulating yourself). it's slower than as a teen, but there is no such thing as a physical "peak" based on age. less than 5% of obese people return to normal weight, but that doesn't mean that 95% of people are incapable of losing weight. go read a book nigger.

>i could be anything i wanted
what is wrong with this generation? there are limits but they have nothing to do with your standardized test abilities. what, you can't be a superhero investment banker with a harem and now you give up? fucking hell. spend 10 hours a week on something for 5 years and you'll know if you can do it. if you just watch youtube videos to decide your life for you, i'm sure you're just a lazy fag who never wanted to "be anything"
>>
>>38177175
Well, the fact that he thinks physicists and mathematicians are the smartest people at universities tells me all I need to know. What I mean by that is, both groups (along with their somewhat dumber counterparts in analytic philosophy, computer science, and neoclassical economics) have a particular kind of technical skill, which we might call, the skill of being obsessed with chess. Where you think that your ability to write down symbols and reformulate them gives you a rich understanding of the universe, when in reality it gives you a rich understanding of the inside of your own ass (and, in the case of neoclassical economics, allows you to crash the global economy several times and get away with it, because you've got symbols on your side).
This isn't a defense of "emotional intelligence" or some other horseshit, just that IQ isn't the most impressive thing and I'm not putting forward an alternative. Unfortunately, people think that being able to use symbols as a comfort blanket is just the best, I mean they're hiring astrophysics PhDs on Wall Street and machine learning is definitely going to automate everything, so I totally believe that IQ correlates with job prospects.
>>
>>38177175
>won't be a good one
i don't know their IQ but most lawyers and professionals in really any prestigious field are just as stupid as their minimum wage counterparts. they just spent more time studying. there are no elite min wage workers like there are elite businessmen and lawyers, but the market just demands that you have the trivial skills to perform a certain task. a more complicated task doesn't require a greater IQ.

the only exception here is if you're inventing shit or researching shit. solving novel problems rather than simply executing a standardized task probably requires a higher aptitude, just because you're going to get results a lot faster.
>>
IQ is real stuff, however it isn't a barrier to greatness, that is, if you have low IQ, there's still nothing stopping you. There are shitters with low IQs who got rich as FUCK, and there are high IQ people who wagecuck all their life.
IQ indicates the tendency to create/invent something or recognise patterns. Nothing more. It isn't binary, it's a range. Low IQ doesn't mean zero.
>>
>>38177175
>I've been exploring the views of Jordan Peterson recently *like all of you*
Is this true? I quit this board a couple years ago but having been through all his lectures recently I've thought several times that if anyone could give a stereotypical robot a kick in the right direction, it would be him.
>>
>>38177175
IQ is unironically just part of the Jewish trickery.
>>
>>38183912
>IQ indicates the tendency to create/invent something or recognise patterns.
This is what I meant when I said that math and friends are the study of one's own ass. Patterns are something that we do, so getting really excited about looking for patterns is really just an indirect and poorly-conceived study of yourself. On the other hand, most of the patterns we're really familiar with, like turning a key in an ignition and a car starting, or pushing the 'a' key on a keyboard and seeing an 'a' appear on a screen, are the work of engineered control systems. They're situations where patterns have been forced on the world through sweat and broken prototypes. We now live in a world that has been so thoroughly engineered that math, a discipline that was once entirely about accounting and time-keeping, has become an object of worship. And so we get threads like this.
>>
>>38182900
>>38183467
just retook it and got 66%. this shit is a fucking meme. why would those long mathematical word problems be weighted the same as questions take you half a second to answer? there's no indication given that you're supposed to just skip the word problems if you're not a super genius. dumb fucking test.
>>
>>38179831
>thinking online iq tests are nothing more than ego strokers who want to shill you crap
>>
>>38182900
so you take the amount of points you got out of 50 from wonderlic and find that value in the left-most column on the conversion page? probably not a good sign for my iq that i have to ask
>>
>>38184005
Given the amount of morons here criticizing IQ, no, they haven't. Remember anyone who criticizes IQ is just a butthurt retarded guy. Notice that all of the posts in this thread that criticize this IQ lack punctuation or appropriate capitalization, a tell tale sign of a retard.
>>
>>38183248
Shut the fuck up. There are two types of people. Smart guys and dummbies. If you are a dumby you should just fucking kill yourself. you are going to end up working at a gas station anyway. IQ determines it. Darwin determines it. All dummies and nonwhites should fucking die.

If you are not this guy you will never be anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggur-Ca2nzs
>>
>>38182900
Doctors are literally,LITERALLY the dumbest people. They have no need for an IQ ,debate me
>>
>>38184632
>non-whites
Asians have higher IQ than whites. Jews and many indians too. Now watch in wonder as the /pol/ redditor kekistani does all kinds of mental gymnastics.
>>
how do i join mensa
>>
>>38184553
What was your score? I got 38, which is what I expected.
>>
>>38184876
impossible to sound like i'm not trying to one-up you but 39
>>
File: 1494218594785.jpg (236KB, 1121x1438px) Image search: [Google]
1494218594785.jpg
236KB, 1121x1438px
OP, IQ is very real, but as other annons have already said not the only matter. You may not male it as far as you would like, but maybe youll make it far enough to be happy. The problem with people telling you to work hard is that there are going to be people who will work just as hard if not harder and still have IQ over you. Its something you should meditate on. Dont be bitter as it isnt worth it. Im going through the exact same thing you are.
>>
>>38184711
Anon, im pretty sure that was him being silly.
>>
Peterson is a pseud. Not really worth listening to.

That being said, this view of us is just too defeatist for me. Even if it is true, it's not worth believing in.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.