[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever tired learning another language? How did it go?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 25

File: bigger bubbles 2.jpg (130KB, 642x441px) Image search: [Google]
bigger bubbles 2.jpg
130KB, 642x441px
Have you ever tired learning another language? How did it go?
>>
I learned English and Russian and I'm learning German
>>
Trying to learn Japanese.
Obviously it's going pretty bad
>>
learned english, worked out fine. learning japanese and its still to easy.

>>38041033
>German
Warum wuerde man so etwas Dummes machen?
>>
>>38041013
I learned English and I think it went well.
>>
>>38041013
I'm semi fluent in Spanish
>>
>>38041013
I m decent in both english and french. And i know a few words in german but can t hold a conversation
>>
>>38041013
Tried leaning finnish and german, gave up within the first week lol
>>
i'm semi fluent on my second language and i'm at the point where the only way to improve is to read books.

which kinda sucks.
>>
>>38041013
I can speak Jap (cuz I'm Jap), Vietnamese and currently trying to improve my English
>>
>>38041298
Teach me your secrets senpai hiragana is kicking my ass, a month into it I'm almost as I was before starting
>>
>>38041526
Use getkana
>>
Learned Japanese on impulse a few years ago. Did it in a year's time, I was approaching fluency. A few years later I signed up for Japanese class because I was forgetting tons due to impractice and also I wanted to meet new people, shit was way to easy, didn't go most of the time and passed the winter exam without studying for 3 months. That's been a while and I have forgotten tons again. If I see or hear it my memory will get triggered and I'll understand much, but I'm no weeaboo so I never use it. Same deal with French I learned in school
>>
>>38041013
>Have you ever tired learning another language? How did it go?

Trying to learn Japanese
Not going too well

You have to study Japanese for like 3 years before you can even BEGIN to understand wtf people are saying

unlike in Spanish where after like 6 months of study you can kinda make out what people are talking about
>>
Fluent in Java, PHP, moving onto C++.
>>
File: 1469804940739.png (190KB, 349x343px) Image search: [Google]
1469804940739.png
190KB, 349x343px
>>38041298
>I can speak Jap (cuz I'm Jap), Vietnamese and currently trying to improve my English
be my bf please!!
>>
>>38041671
fuck off you homo gaijin
>>
I'm learning Japanese, going good I guess?
>>38041526
Damn dude, if you're spending a month on hiragana alone then you're doing something wrong. Took me 3 days to learn hiragana and katakana. Now I'm just learning grammar rules and vocab. Try an app called Dr. Moku, best app for kana I've used.
>>
>>38041526
>hiragana is kicking my ass

nigger are you for real? katakana and hiragana are ez pz as shit. if hiragana if really giving you a hard time, you may as well quit now, because you're in for a world of hurt with kanji. kanji is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more diverse and complicated than the kanas
>>
>>38041652
>You have to study Japanese for like 3 years before you can even BEGIN to understand wtf people are saying
No not at all. All it takes is practice speaking it with people. But I guess it would take 3 years if learning it is going slow and you can't get passed practice speaking even the basics with classmates or whatever, or if you're studying solo and never practice speaking. If you were to go to Japan I guarantee it would take no more than a year
>>
>>38041013

Already know chinese since I'm chinese, working on French because I'm bored and have nothing else better to do.
>>
>>38041013
learned English when I was pretty young
kinda bad at speaking French but I can understand pretty much everything
fluent in Spanish
(took both in school)

I want to learn Chinese and Irish for some reason but waaay too lazy
>>
>>38041701
That is the correct English response, good job.
>>
I failed French class in high school. I've never tried learning any language on my own.
>>
>>38041013
Assembly, C, C++, Javascript

So far so good
>>
>>38041013
Learned conversational Spanish in High School(EZ), learning Italian now(2EZ). Followed by French or Swiss German probably.
>>
>>38041962
Yuo should learn2Python!! It's so epic and then learn PHP so you can b a 1337 haxxor!
>>
Learned english, mostly by spending most of my time on internet
I'd like to learn Italian
I failed spanish class in high school
>>
I moved to Miami and now I'm trying to learn Spanish 9 years later. I'm using Pimsleur, Duolingo and Lingvist.
>>
>>38041652
ive known spanish wayy longer than japanese and it's still hard for me to understand things that people say in spanish, i feel like i can pick up more in japanese than in spanish nowadays
>>
File: 20170111_070811.jpg (247KB, 714x739px) Image search: [Google]
20170111_070811.jpg
247KB, 714x739px
>Tried to learn French
>The pronunciation is confusing ( Atleast to me )
>Keep forgetting how to spell things
Also not a native English speakers so I think I'll just stick with English and tried to mastered it first cause my English is horrible too.
>>
>>38042278
I think your English is very good anon :o)
>>
File: 5475465.jpg (325KB, 897x1200px) Image search: [Google]
5475465.jpg
325KB, 897x1200px
language is probably what im most interested in, although im too lazy a lot of the time to do any serious studying

spanish is probably my best although i wouldnt say im fluent, followed by german and currently been studying japanese ~2 years

about 90% of the time im around people I'm thinking about their accents or the kinds of words they use, dialects of english are some of my favorite things to look into, probably cause i can already understand it
>>
>>38042362
Any tips on learning Spanish?
>>
>>38041013
I know english and romanian,took 2 years of spanish and don't remember any of it because I was lazy in class and didn't bother with any of the vocab.tried learning korean but stopped after I learned the alphabet because I got bored.
>>
>>38042278
French is a terrible language, anyway. All the words sound the same but have a thousand different spellings for the same one meaning.
>>
>>38042405
definitely do a lot of listening, cause spanish speakers can talk really fast depending on their dialect, and you want to get the basics down quick.
as far as speaking, gets your verbs down good. otherwise youll always be pausing to think what conjugation you should be using.

learn the dialect that youll probably use most, if youre a burger obviously learn mexican, if youre a euro learn spain spanish, but also try and keep it diverse with your input so you understand a variety of dialects
>>
>>38042645
Thank you. I'm a Burger but my area is all Cubans and Venezuelans, not very many Mexicans.
>>
>only know English as first and only language
>still sometimes struggle or forget words because I don't talk to people enough as practice
>>
>>38041247
Are you Estonian? I don't see how speaking finnish would be useful to anyone else.
>>
>>38042674
good luck with cubans, they talk at light speed. not as fast as dominicans tho. havent heard venezuelans much
>>
>>38042867
Well shit. Hopefully I can do it.
>>
>>38041013
Why the fuck do they translate hello with guten tag. hello in german literally means hallo
>>
>>38043141
watch lots of spanish stuff with spanish subtitles, thatll be good for connecting the sounds to the words
>>
>>38043227
Thanks. I'll make sure to watch lots of movies and listen to a lot of the locals.
>>
>>38042796
Nope, I'm brazilian. Just wanted to learn a really different language
>>
Learnt english.
Tried learning german, failed because it was no use to me.
Tried russian, same
Tried japanese, didn't even last a month.
Thinking about suicide occupies too much time.
>>
I tried to learn Japanese but gave up, now trying to reshape my German since I had some German in HS.
>>
>tfw stupid as fuck but always wanted to learn another language
>after careful selection decided to learn Afrikaans as this seems very similar to English
>spent days gathering online resources to supplement my learning
>reall excited
>start trying to memorise words
>can't fucking do it very easily even when many of the words are similar to English
>start to get really fucking angry at myself for being so stupid
>eventually decide I need to simulate being in South Africa to get a better understanding
>don/t know how to
>all I know about South Africa is that the white people live in secure compounds to avoid being murdered

So for the last 4 weeks I have been sneaking around black peoples houses at night and watching them through the fence whilst listening to Afrikaans audio books. I am able to pretend I am a white person watching black africans from my compound. But it still isn't working. I can introduce myself and ask for directions and nothing else.
>>
>>38041013
Learning jap. I have a game that teaches me, but I don't play it often.
>>
>>38043311
if you learn it and it's not relevant to you at all, it's not gonna stick. you gotta have something that keeps you learning, like books or movies/shows in that language. hell, my favorite japanese singer is probably the reason ive kept with it for so long
>>
>>38041013
A little bit of German in middle school. Some conservational Georgian when I taught English out there, same with Spanish in Ecuador.

Too lazy to become fluent in any of them, though.
>>
File: f25.jpg (105KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
f25.jpg
105KB, 600x600px
>all these faggot weeaboos trying to learn japanese
>>
Besides my mothertongue, I am fluent in English, I'm semi-decent at German, I can fully understand Frisian but can't really speak it myself, I used to be okay at French but haven't had anything to do with it in years so that's garbage now, and I used to be able to read Latin but a lot has been forgotten there too since high school.
>>
>>38041013

>tried to learn japanese
>stopped at lesson 16 out of 52
>mfw
>>
>>38044331
it's an incredibly fascinating language, no weebery right here.
>>
>>38044396
How hard is Russian, Dmitry?
>>
>>38044331
There's nothing degenerate about learning a foreign language. It's when one intends to use it to infiltrate the language's nation of origin and miscegenate with its population that it becomes degenerate.
>>
i know a tinny bit of Italian. i know where is the bathroom, beautiful, dickhead, and penis. i know dickhead and penis because someone kept on joking saying hey do you like the penis...
>>
>>38044421
>incredibly fascinating language
>>
>>38041033
Kak dolgo ti uchil russkiy, i, glavnoe, zachem?
>>
>>38044637
im genuinely interested in linguistics and japanese is fun as hell famalam, no meme

>completely different sentence structure
>tons of descriptive onomatopoetic words
>neat grammatical particles
>different words for I, you, and we depending on speaker's personality or gender or relationship to others
>every verb ends with 'u'

it's a beautiful language beyond the memes

not crazy about honorifics tho honestly
>>
>>38044446
It's really fucking hard. You gonna spend like 10 years learning it and people who actually know it will still be able to tell that it's not your first language and you will still keep making shitty mistakes even children will laugh at you for.
>>
>>38041013
I fluently and regularly speak English and French, I can also understand Spanish no problem but really only express myself in basic expressions and fucked up verb tenses since I don't use it regularly. I'm also currently learning Japanese.

I learned English and French pretty much at the same time when I was a kid so that wasn't a problem. Learning Spanish was easy enough since it overlaps so much into both those languages. Learning Japanese is completely different, so it's both difficult and interesting.

>>38042582
>All the words sound the same but have a thousand different spellings for the same one meaning.

Quoi
>>
>>38044922
Is Russian valuable? I'm a history student and am considering picking it up for specialized study.
>>
>>38044974
People in the whole ex USSR speak it and there are a lot of immigrants and jews in Europe who can speak it as well, so, I would say we have a nice community outside of Russia. But I don't know how good it is for historical research, because all historical documents written before 19 century are written in old Russian, and it's like a completely different language. What kind of research are you planning to do?
>>
>>38041013
im learning python haha
>>
Trying to learn French. It is too hard and i'll probably give up
>>
>>38045258
What's holding you back? Verbs in French are absolute bullshit, you just have to memorize them. I say this as someone who was raised in French.

Why are you learning French?
>>
Native English speaker, I want to become fluent in Mandarin. Am I fucked?
>>
>>38045258
get into some french artists/singers and maybe you'll actually want to learn it, hell theres tons of comfy french movies too
>>
>>38045316
Spoken by the most amount of countries besides English
>>
>>38045330
Can you recommend me some? Le block
>>
I'm trying to learn russian and get better at german but i'll probably end up dropping russian, this shit is hard.

>>38042582
Donne un exemple andouille, parce que la je vois pas. Par contre je suis d'accord, le francais c'est pas vraiment la meilleure langue au monde.
>>
>>38045328
personally I love Rina Ketty ( i think she might have an italian accent though), Francoise Hardy, Brigette Fontaine (13 Chansons Decadentes et Fantasmogoriques), and France Gall
Stromae sounds pretty cool too, ive only heard a song or two though
>>
>>38045511
Haha you replied to the wrong post. I got it though thanks
>>
>>38045373
Perhaps not necessarily comfy, but these are some french films I've watched and loved

>Les Triplettes De Belleville
>Manon des Sources
>Amelie
>Un Long Dimanche de Fiancailles
>Les Choristes
>Jeux d'enfants
>Le Huitieme Jour
>>
>>38045584
oh woops, thanks
yeah heres some tracks to start u off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWRCJhsz5t4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_xH7noaqTA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWnyu5E0lFI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aLoezucIzk

>>38045328
meant to reply earlier, the only advice i know is try and replicate their pronunciation as exact as you can, dont try and focus on tones too much. also write the characters every day over and over
>>
>>38045345
Is it really? I figured it would be Spanish.

but I'm pretty sure other than like Switzerland and one province of Canada it's all like African colonies and Cambodia.
>>
currently learning Japanese in university, its actually fun to learn except for the fucking group comedy skits they force you to do at the end of the semester. I learned enough Spanish in high school to understand most of what a person is saying, but I cannot speak it at all
>>
>>38045761
If you take out africa then spanish would be in the lead. I dont want to learn spanish though.
>>
>>38045823
It's much easier than French.

If a word ends in "o" then it's masculine, and "a" is feminine.

In French there's no rhyme or reason to what which words are what gender.
>>
File: 1490195667339.jpg (540KB, 1024x689px) Image search: [Google]
1490195667339.jpg
540KB, 1024x689px
>>38041013
Learning Russian
>By shitposting on 2ch hk
>They have 40mb .wemb limit on some boards, wtf

Learned German
>by shitposting on Krautchan

Learned English
>By shitposting on 4chan

>mfw
>>
Russian, not gonna lie it's mostly because I talk to Russian girls online and would like to go meet them.
>>38044446
It's pretty hard compared to Romance or Germanic languages, but I find it easier than Polish (Polish is a fucking cunt of a language) and it's easier than the Asian languages
>>
>>38041211
Po yo me via caga en to tus muerto maricon como mentere de quien ere te va lleva un navajazo en tol pexo
>>
English native speaker, learning Russian

what would be a nice third language to compliment English and Russian? I want to be trilingual
>>
File: 1486896838291.png (96KB, 256x308px) Image search: [Google]
1486896838291.png
96KB, 256x308px
>>38044446
If you know any other Slavic language you alrady know 50-80% of Russian, otherwise it is rather hard and maybe you should consider learning a Slavic Language that uses Latin script first, before delving into Russian.
>>
>>38046029
Cyrillic is easy, takes like an hour to learn
>>
File: 1498521367651.gif (2MB, 274x257px) Image search: [Google]
1498521367651.gif
2MB, 274x257px
>be like 12th in a republic wide high school competition in english
>still can't really form sentences on my own or explain the logic behind grammar, because I only learn it from videogames and tv shows
>suck ass at any other language
>>
>>38045979
whatever language interests you enough to learn it famalam

>>38045901
dont get me started on german genders. it's probably what makes asian languages such a breath of fresh air, no retarded genders
>>
>>38045979
Something Asian.
>>
>>38041013
majored in spanish
took some nip
bout it
>>
High school spanish was my first class in the morning, so yes, I was tired.
>>
>>38046081
>dont get me started on german genders.

Is it a roll of the dice like with French genders?

In French, for instance, "computer" is male except for "mouse" which is female. If you start breaking down individual components of the computer even more it ends up being like a trans washroom.
>>
>>38041121
Because why not

>>38044828
4 years
Because I'm slav so it was easy for me
>>
>>38045961
Eww mexican detected
As a Spaniard your mere existence is repugnant to me. It isn't our fault that nobody taught you how to talk properly
Stop posting shit
>>
>>38046145
there are 3 genders in german, and there's no pattern whatsoever. fork, knife, and spoon are all different genders.
>>
>>38046173
chinga tu puta madre wey, me vales verga
>>
File: Thatfeel.png (7KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
Thatfeel.png
7KB, 645x773px
>>38045511
>>38045718
Help,I accidentally fell in love with Francoise Hardy.
>>
>>38046414
there you go anon, youll be fluent in no time
>>
>>38046181
>there are 3 genders in german

oh

That's very progressive of them I guess
>>
>>38046504
How long?Je veux connatre quoi elle dit. NOW
>>
>>38046621
i dont speak french anon i just listen to french qts sing

oh but if you read the lyrics to understand all of them and listen to a lot of different french music it shouldnt be long.
the best possible thing you can do is 24/7 exposure to french
>>
>>38046721
>the best possible thing you can do is 24/7 exposure to french

This. It goes for any language. Music, video games, TV, podcasts, radio, movies, websites, reading newspapers and magazines and books, even talking to people, etc.
>>
>>38046173
He actually sounded like the typical spanish gypsy from some ghetto hough kek
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
65KB, 1280x720px
>>38046721
> i just listen to french qt's sing
I hope pic related is one of them. One of the best qt's ,if not the best, that france ever gave light to
>>
Learned German, but then Merkel ruined any benefit from it.
>>
>>38047030
u can still go to switzerland and austria famalam
>>
>>38046783
I need to get to a level where I can do these in the first place. I wont understand anything at my current level. What do you use to learn?
>>
>>38047115
not him but anki flashcards are about the most effective way to get vocabulary into your memory, for grammar idk i usually google it
>>
>>38047115
>I need to get to a level where I can do these in the first place.

Don't worry about it you don't need to understand everything all at once to enjoy music or watch a movie or something. Especially if it's a movie that you really like and know by heart, just watch it in French. Same with music or whatever, you pick up bits and pieces and fill in the blank in its context and eventually understand it all.

>What do you use to learn?

Well French and English I learned at home and in primary school. Spanish I learned in college but was too much of a stoner to sit down and study properly but listening to music and all that did help.

Now I'm learning Japanese and I have a few books, a dictionary and audiobooks. I also have a gorillion gigabytes of music and movies and TV shows and youtube channels and anime. There's also great free apps for your phone or tablet or whatever. It's always best to sit down in a classroom though and I'll do that shortly.
>>
>>38047253
I am getting so little bits and pieces there is nothing to fill in
>>
File: 1498568068365.jpg (34KB, 609x836px) Image search: [Google]
1498568068365.jpg
34KB, 609x836px
I'm learning Spanish, I want someone to help me!
>>
>>38047384
Well that's what you start with. Like I said don't worry about it, just enjoy music and movies and video games in French. Learning naturally is a fun process.
>>
>>38041013
speak a few languages perfectly so i guess it went pretty well?
>>
>>38047547
club de cuervos is a nice show to watch
>>
>>38047547
try >>>/int/lang
>>
>>38041013
Japanese in high school.
I live in Tokyo now
>>
>>38049435
what do you do there :3
>>
I'm passively learning Spanish, but don't have a ton of time to devote to it.

According to Duolingo, I'm 14% fluent in Spanish to date.
>>
>>38041013
Learned English in kindergarden
Learned Spanish in high school
Currently studying Russian, but I'm too lazy to make any rapid progress.
>>
>>38041013
Tried to learn french in high school but the problem was that i was mixing up words in my english. I got worse grades in english and decided to stop. I'm thinking of pickig it up again.
>>
>>38041013
>Spanish
Used duolingo and vocab lists.
Then moved onto reading manga online in Spanish, watching some soap operas on netflix, and go to hispachan sometimes.
Nowadays I can understand basically read almost anything.
Speaking, Writing, and listening are still pretty crap.

>Russian
Started it a few months ago. Can type without looking at the keyboard, still got a long way to go though.
Will start doing the same shit as Spanish when my skills improve.

>>38043227
Todavia no entiendo la mayoria de lo que ellos hablan, porque hablan tan rapido para mi.
Hispanohablantes necesitan ser mas lento cuando ellos abran sus bocas.
>>
Which language are natives the nicest to people who are learning? Italian?
Don't say French, I went to Quebec and they're really mean even when you're trying your hardest to speak French.
>>
>>38050054
>not using phonetic keyboard until you learn the language acceptably
You can find tons of dubbed anime and movies on rutracker, the anime has the dub in separate .mka files so you don't need to download the entire thing.
>>
>>38050176
Arabic and Russian are allegedly quite good.
Swedes will speak English even if you're fluent in the language.
>>
Can I learn Spanish by talking about anime on hispachan? How active is it?
>>
>>38050054
si hispanohablantes pueden entender a el otro, tu tambien debes entender.
>>
Native = portuguese

>English
just play some games and you know english

>Russian
fucking hard, i dont have any use to this soo i will learn slowly as fuck
>>
>>38049471
Party hard and part time jobs to fuel my party.
>>
>>38043595
here's your (you) languageposter
>>
>>38050452
I wish I could live in Japan and just fuck around there. Is it too late for me?
>>
>>38050520
Dunno. How hold are you and where are you a citizen of? Most first world countries bar USA have a working holiday program with Japan, one year to do whatever you want in Japan, no holds bar. They have ski resorts jobs in the winter, and they are all more or less desperate for staff. No language ability required, no job experience needed, free rent and food, best experiance of my life, and got me in to skiing and snowboarding. Only downside is long hours and pretty bad pay (around 700Y per hour after tax).
>>
>>38050647
How do you apply to ski jobs if you can't speak Japanese?
>>
I'm fluent in Spanish and learning Portuguese atm.
>>
>>38050718
Find one of their placement companies. I used one called Boobooski. They basically do all the job application for you. They are pretty cheap, and there if you need help, but I had to do pretty much everything else by myself (flights, visa, transportation there, ect).
>>
File: rknb7kopag6z.jpg (52KB, 866x630px) Image search: [Google]
rknb7kopag6z.jpg
52KB, 866x630px
All you plebs not learning Arabic.

I actually got stuck in Palestine and picked it up there in a year.

>tfw not even arab

Its pretty cool to surprise arab people with my fluency
>>
Someone tell me how to learn Russian, I don't know how to go about it
I know some very basic stuff, and the alphabet
>>
Started learning Japanese, got up to a vocabulary level of around 3000 words, bad at grammar, got to the point where a decent bit of Japanese was understandable. Stopped studying first semester of college and my knowledge has since been mostly lost. Can still read kana and basic sentences, but lost lots of progress. Was recently tempted to try again.
>>
>>38050647
>Bar USA
what the fuck
Why Japan I thought we were best friends
>>
File: IMG_0166.png (134KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0166.png
134KB, 680x453px
I'm a native English speaker, my parents forced me to take a special french program from grades 6-12. So according to the canadian government I'm legally bilingual. The downside is I barely ever use my french and it's starting to slip becuase of it.

I tried german, couldn't get into it and saw no reason to learn it anyway.

I want to try to learn Japanese because I am a weaboo faggot who just wants to translate his own hentai but I haven't found the time to start learning.

If someome could give japanese a difficulty rating out of 10 for that'd be great
>>
>>38041121
Es kann nutzlich sein, wenn man mit Wissenschaft arbeiten will
>>
>>38041013
I'm working on German, but Duolingo can only do so much.
>>
>>38052892
the foreign service institute in the US ranked it the highest difficulty with an asterisk indicating even higher difficulty.

http://www.effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty

but dont let that stop you, anon
>>
>>38052933
Duolingo isn't meant to teach you an entire language by itself. There isn't anything which can do that.

You should start with Duolingo for the basics and general revision of basics but you will need to delve into other more advanced methods of studying later.
>>
File: Reac 159.jpg (69KB, 518x750px) Image search: [Google]
Reac 159.jpg
69KB, 518x750px
>>38041033
>>38041121
>>38041154

What all did you use to learn it?

>>38052933

What does the rest of it then?
>>
>>38052983
Why is Japanese harder than Mandarin? I understand Korean doesn't have all those characters so I get that it's not as hard.
>>
>>38053122
with mandarin theres pretty much one way to pronounce each character (it differs between dialects but within the dialects theres one way to say them). in Japanese it's absolutely fucked up, every character has at least 2 ways to pronounce it that you just have to know based on context, and some characters have up to 8-10 different pronunciations that you just have to know. theres good reason kanji is the the most dreaded part of japanese for almost every learner, not to mention the difficulty of learning all these characters in the first place.
>>
>>38041013
English on my own
French at school
German at school it's pretty bad tough
Trying Japanese but it's a lil on the back burner
Flemish waffle master race
>>
File: 1497399974872.png (171KB, 399x407px) Image search: [Google]
1497399974872.png
171KB, 399x407px
>So many people learning Russian and German
>>
>>38041013
I've learned both Korean and Chinese and am fluent in neither.
Decent in both though.
>>
>>38053122
Mandarin has one of the most simple writing systems I've ever seen, for one.
Put one character with another and you get a whole different word that's still connected to the original topic; it's pretty great.
>>
File: 1469517326918.jpg (1MB, 3617x1985px) Image search: [Google]
1469517326918.jpg
1MB, 3617x1985px
I'm going to uni soon, and I'd like your opinions on which language I should learn. I've already taken AP Spanish which fulfills the language requirement for my school (University of California Irvine,) meaning taking a language course is purely optional. If there's space in my schedule, I definitely would want to dedicate time to learning a language in a structured classroom setting.

Some info:
>I am Vietnamese American and live in a Vietnamese ethnic enclave, however my Vietnamese skills are not at a level that I am satisfied with.
>I am primarily interested in East Asian culture.
>The groups in order of predominance around my area are: Vietnamese, Mexican, Chinese >= Korean, Arabs
>High school has burned me out on Spanish. I'm also not that good at it.
>I am self-studying Japanese (albeit at a slow pace due to lack of motivation) and can read hangeul.
>I think Mandarin sounds cool as hell.

I'm conflicted over choosing between Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, or Korean. If Spanish is that important, I may consider it as well.

Pic somewhat related, it's my shitty calligraphy with a brush pen.
>>
>>38041013
I lived in thailand for 2 years teaching english and had no choice but to learn. took about 14 months to have an intermediate conversation.
>>
File: DSCF9759.jpg (259KB, 804x1072px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF9759.jpg
259KB, 804x1072px
Je suis en train d'apprendre le francais e sto imparando l'italiano anch'io.

It's hard, you have to be dedicated (I know that sounds ridiculous considering they're only Romance languages), and while I feel like I have a solid foundation in both, I can't be arsed to improve my listening and comprehension of spoken French/Italian. Also I envy the fuck out of people who have the chance to travel/study/ive abroad (especially when they're young adults), it must be easy as fuck to pick up the language when you're surrounded by it and forced to use it.
>>
>>38041013
I can speak my native language which is dutch, am fluent in English and am pretty good in French and my German is ok but not that great. Spanish I'm learning but only because my family is Spanish I feel like I should learn it.
>>
File: choukaku_3[1].gif (18KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
choukaku_3[1].gif
18KB, 500x400px
I've studied Spanish, Latin, Korean, Mandarin... All of which I've largely forgotten due to lack of use.

I can speak Japanese and am currently studying Japanese sign language.
>>
>>38046523
I don't know anything about German but I would assume the third is neutral. Like "it" in English.

And yes I just assumed the language's gender.
>>
>>38052582
my handwriting is fucked even in latin alphabets so I struggle with writing

>>38041013
English native speaker, and I speak:
>german
>afrikaans
>dutch
>castellano (rioplatense best dialect)
>portuguese (brazilian)
>bosnian (not too good)
>ulster gaelic (very pidgin)

I have never been overseas either. I'm just a language autist.
>>
>>38041013
I speak Afrikaans and English as native language, I'm considering learning Dutch and moving to either the Netherlands or Belgium (currently living in Australia). I've considered Japanese but I can't put in that much effort desu
>>
>>38043595
I wouldn't recommend learning Afrikaans senpai, I only learnt it because I lived in SA when I was a child. Dutch would be a lot more useful, the main thing that makes Dutch harder is the grammar,
>>
>>38041013
i tried learning english in school as second language

i think i failed
>>
File: 1456158996105.gif (2MB, 245x280px) Image search: [Google]
1456158996105.gif
2MB, 245x280px
I already know Finnish, Swedish and English, why should i learn any new language?
>>
File: FILE2749.jpg (55KB, 451x600px) Image search: [Google]
FILE2749.jpg
55KB, 451x600px
>>38046173
Is this bait or are you retarded? That's clearly a gypsy not a mexican.
>>
Dutch is my main language, as you can see I know English and I am currently studying Russian because I want that Russian pussy
>>
>>38050054
>Todavia no entiendo la mayoria de lo que ellos hablan, porque hablan tan rapido para mi.
Todavia no entiendo la mayoria de lo que hablan, porque hablan demasiado rapido para mi.

Tan rapido - as fast.
Demasiado rapido - too fast.

>Hispanohablantes necesitan ser mas lento cuando ellos abran sus bocas.
Los hispanohablantes necesitan ser mas lentos cuando abren sus bocas.

Lento - he/she/it
Lentos - they

Also stop using ellos, we omit it almost all the time.

When they speak - Cuando hablan.
When they open their mouths - Cuando abren sus bocas.

>Non-ASCII text is not allowed.
Fuck off.
>>
>>38050251
No, unless you don't mind learning spic tier Spanish with badly translated memes from 4chan.
>>
>>38041013
I know English and Latin.
>>
>>38056180
Doesn't "tan" also mean "so" or "very (much)"? I live in the US and have heard Mexicans use it like that.

Like "Kim es tan alta" = "Kim is so/very tall"
>>
>>38056044

> Wants cooch that's rotting from krokodil

Boy you've set the bar low. Enjoy the nob rot.
>>
>>38056304
Atleast I will still get laid
>>
>>38056320

Zombie cooch isn't sex anon.
>>
>>38041058
I'm doing pretty alright. Try pirating the language learning pack and watching some video lessons online.
>>
>>38056351
Atleast I will still have some sort off action I guess
>>
>>38056293
So tall = tan alto/a
>He is so tall you feel like a dwarf.
El es tan alto que te sientes como un enano.

As tall = tan alto/a
>He is as tall as Pau Gasol
El es tan alto como Pau Gasol.

Very tall = muy alto/a
>He is very tall
El es muy alto.

Too tall = demasiado alto/a
>He is too tall for her
El es demasiado alto para ella.

Hope this doesn't confuse you even more.

By the way unless you don't mind learning "Mexican" I wouldn't recommend taking what they speak as a rule or as correct, ever. For some reason I always have the mindset that anyone willing to learn Spanish would want to learn Spain's Spanish and not some ghetto spic tier shit.
>>
I speak czech because I am. Got semi-fluent in thai cuz why not and currently learning spanish
>>
>>38056512
Czech Darth Vader was scary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCSS9FzGy2g
>>
>>38056413
I'm >>38056293 but not >>38050054

Anyways, isn't the "Mexican" example of "tan alta" that I gave and the "tan rapido" that the first guy wrote, correct by your castellano standards or whatever? He's using "tan rapido" as "so fast" which seems to make sense to me, since the "para mi" helps emphasise his perspective.
Although I would agree that "they speak too fast for me" sounds better than "they speak so fast for me [in my opinion]" in English. I don't know if it would be the same for "demasiado" in Spanish, but you seem to be the expert.

Y yo no soy mexicano o latinoamericano, pero ?por que tienes que odiarlos?
>>
I dabbled in French and Spanish but I bet a 2 year old is still more fluent than I am. Just fucking around on duolingo every couple of weeks/months and end up hitting a plateau after the first couple of courses.
>>
>>38054762
How many qt underage prostitutes did you anally rough up?
>>
>>38052760
Duolingo and then assimil for the basics, then get a textbook.

then start reading Russian websites, newspaper articles etc, listen to Russian music, watch Russian films and keep learning things. When you get to a certain level add some Russian qts on Vkontakte or something and talk to them in Russian
>>
>>38050176
Italians, Russians, Chinese and Brazilians are pretty friendly to people who learn their language

Avoid French and Germans
>>
>>38057226
>French
Why?
>>
>>38046173
>being so autistic that you can't identify obvious gipsy/cani talk

Lmaoing at your sad robot life, have sex and go out pls
>>
>>38041013

Trying to learn french but progress is very slow but have to learn it if I want any comfy jobs in Canada. Once I take some uni classes though I hope to see quick progress though.
>>
>>38052582
I am. Going pretty slowly though.
>>
>>38057739
ehentai is a good place to find french comics (some of which aren't porn).
>>
>>38041013
Spanish is my native tongue and I speak fluent english with no accent. Trying to learn Portuguese, on my third week and i think it's going well
>>
>>38041013
Dutchy here. Fluent in English and German, allright in French (had it at school for 5 years) and Korean (selfstudying for 3 years). Going allright. Want to get fluent in Korean before I hop on either Mandarin Chinese or Classic Arabic
>>
To the people itt:
Why do you know so many languages?
Why do you want to learn even more?
Thread posts: 190
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.