[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you guys tell me what you believe in and why? Afterlife/morality/etc.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: Pz.jpg (447KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Pz.jpg
447KB, 2560x1920px
Can you guys tell me what you believe in and why? Afterlife/morality/etc. I'm both curious and also looking to improve myself.
>>
nothing matters
the only thing we have telling us something matters is our programming
when you die you cease to exist
there is no God, no afterlife, no reincarnation, nothing
you have the same value as an ant in a colony, except you have a brain rationalizing otherwise
>>
>>37849240
first you tell me what you believe in. ..besides everything i believe in like a fuckin pleb.
>>
>>37849264
well I'd like to believe in a God but it just seems far fetched. Obviously there's faith but it honestly just seems like it as designed to keep people in order
>>
>>37849240
I believe that I can still create something that will outlast me. We're the only species that can pass on heritage even without reproducing. Maybe I'll have a positive impact on just one person's life, and he'll tell his children about me.
>>
File: 1481972324781.gif (1MB, 842x616px) Image search: [Google]
1481972324781.gif
1MB, 842x616px
>>37849240

There are 2 options

1. Nothing matters life is simple

2. Your pitiful human intellect can't possibly comprehend the complexities of the universe aka there is a cosmic purpose
>>
>>37849363
so you pretty much believe in being survived through infamy? well time to plot my ultra terrorfest 2000
>>
>>37849301
mmm. you havent gone too far in depth which i guess i cant blame you for since this is online and we're not buddies but from what little you wrote id say youre an okay hombre.
>>
>>37849443
Nikola Tesla changed the world forever, without passing his genes on, some say he died a virgin even. There's no need to be Hitler.
>>
>>37849363

>We're the only species that can pass on heritage even without reproducing

- You don't know that

>I believe that I can still create something that will outlast me

No, also literally doesn't matter because you'd be dead
-

Nothing outlasts us, there is no legacy, the sun will burn up, no more art, no more Beethoven, like we never even existed !

Legacy is dust, and even short legacy's don't matter all that much, legacy is just another form of *death denial*
>>
>>37849463
thanks. the main raison i even care is because if there's nothing else then why even try? bettering myself is pointless if it doesn't work toward an ultimate goal, idfk
>>
>>37849363
> We're the only species that can pass on heritage even without reproducing.

absolutely false
>>
>>37849529
>the sun will explode
lol you fucking still believe science? I bet you think oil is made of dead dinosaurs too
>>
>>37849545
>absolutely false
Which other species has a significant impact on further generations if they don't reproduce? Explain.
>>
Nice panzer
>>
>>37849566

lol you fucking still believe science?

No need to respond your clearly an idiot tooting his horn of idiocy
>>
>>37849542
dont think like that. im not memeing. seriously, based on what one can know about death without experiencing it first hand, youve been given life and theres no reason you shouldnt play it out just to see what it entails? you got a job? a mom or dad? friends? vidya? whatre you complaining about anyway?
>>
>>37849583
worker ants
>>
>>37849593
yep, pz II will always be most aesthetic to me
>>
>>37849629
>your clearly an idiot
>>37849566

> inb4* you're irony
>>
>>37849640
yeah ik there's reasons to live it's just hard to get motivation yaknow?
>>
>>37849662
>>37849629
oh come on, the oil redpill is basic shit. It being a fossil fuel is just a Jew lie to justify driving prices up. Abiotic oil is a proven fact
>>
>>37849263
Prove it originallio
>>
>>37849641
You better be trolling right now, holy shit. I seriously thought you'd come up with elephants or dolphins, but fucking ants? The single most replacable, anonymous, individually insignificant species? Every animal that lives in some form of group serves a purpose, but that's not the same as passing on something memorable, like inventions, discoveries, art, literature, or other impact on history.
>>
>>37849719
common sense anon saves the day
>>
>>37849240
>2017
>Not understanding that life is a meaningless hellhole
>Not catching on to life's bullshit, that it's TOO shitty to be chance
>"LOL U HAV NO FREE WILL, LIKE FLESHY COMPUTER PROGRAMS. BUT THERE'S ALSO NO GOD!"
>Not realizing that everything in life being super shitty in the worst possible way, both everything depressing about science and everything depressing about religion is a ruse
>Not comprehending that we are in hell right now, and that getting through this life is the challenge, with no wrong answer
>Not understanding that if God does exist, then God exists out of the very same rules he created to bind us
>Meaning the afterlife is totally possible under this provision, even though it sounds impossible due to our limited experience
>Not combining religion and science
>Not being a chill absurdist
>Not finally coming to grips with the fact that if there is/isn't an afterlife, it still feels better to be happy than be miserable
>Besides, if you're wrong, who will laugh at you?
>The dust?
Toppest fucking lel m8s.
>>
>>37849715
look around you
you think animals piss away their time rationalizing their lives? requiring justification that they are somebody so that they pursue what they want and leave something behind, whether it's for their family, themselves, humanity as a whole?
the only difference is conscious thinking, conscious thought that is capable of asking 'why am I here' - because we're able to ask that question, we NEED an answer. the answer can be anything, it differs between induviduals, but we only NEED it because of what evolution has given us as a species.

we're still just insignificant organisms living on a rock floating in space and are essentially worthless.

obviously cant prove the god shit but that's just common sense
>>
File: cover 1 - The God Game.jpg (78KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
cover 1 - The God Game.jpg
78KB, 600x800px
>>37849240

1. the world is rational and it has an inherent meaning.
1.2. rational = mathematically ordered (contains chaos and consistency, nothing is left to
''chance'')
2. the purpose of us existing is to actualize the infinite potential which the universe contains
3 life = game
3.1. the game's goal is to unite God once more
3.2. God =/= the creator of Universe
3.3. we are sparks of God
3.4. when God is whole once more, he commits a divine suicide
3.5. this leads to the recreation of the universe (a new beginning)
3.6. this continues eternally (it has continued eternally in the past)
4. after we die, we reincarnate
4.1. this is due to the fact that nothing can be permanently destroyed - why should consciousness be any different?

Why?
Because some cultists told me so (technically I read their works but w/e)...
pic related (their first book in one of their series)
>>
>>37849719
>worker ants able to build ant hills that circulate air throughout the entire colony
>ant hills survive for generations
>not passing on a heritage

answered your question, faggot.
>>
>>37849757
thanks anon that's kind of comforting and definitely solved my issue.

butisweartogod(ornot)ifyoueversaytoppestlelagainiwillkillyou
>>
>>37849798
How can you reunite God?
>>
>>37849806
generations are days you humongous faggot
>>
>>37849905
This is achieved through the individuation process (Carl Jung's psychoanalytic theory)
>>
>>37849806
Could an ant identify the contribution another ant has made to the hill? Can ants of future generations do this, or even remember that ant? How is it this specific ant's heritage if it could've been any other of millions of ants who's done it?
>>
>>37849240
I don't believe in "supernatural" or "higher power(s)".

Similar to how the a person's functioning can change based on how their brain changes, I believe that once the brain stops functioning for good, that person's ability to experience anything permanently comes to an end.
>>
>>37849930
oh I didn't realize you had an arbitrary requirement for passing on a heritage
I mean it's not like ants colonies measuring 100km have been discovered or anything
surely those ants just died out after a year
>>
>>37849897
T
O
P
P
E
S
T

L
E
L

M

:^)
Serious though, everything will be alright Anon. Absolute worse case scenario, as you die you will have an NDE that tricks you into believing the afterlife, which will be just as good.
>>
>>37849949
again, another arbitrary requirement.
>>
>>37849954
so you think consciousness and the brain are one and the same? that brings us back to the argument that simple biological structures can;t construct something so complex as a perception of reality
>>
>>37850000
You're simply trying to argue semantics. You know what I mean and you know I'm right. I'll just leave the discussion at that.
>>
>>37849968
sure it could be considered a heritage but in the context of the thread being remembered (if ants can even do that) for a couple days is almost worthless
>>
>>37849991
thanks mai main man oreggo prego
>>
>>37850005
That's more of an opinion than an argument. Both the "simplicity" of the biological structures and the "complexity" of perceiving reality are subjective.

I just look at how a person's brain can become damaged, and they're personality, cognitive abilities, or consciousness changes as a result; with enough damage, you end up with a person who is barely able to function mentally. So, I feel it's no great logical leap to think that if the brain is so damaged that it stops functioning, then the person's consciousness stops functioning as well.

Don't really see a reason to separate consciousness from the brain.
>>
>>37850218
you're right in that I was wrong. I honestly don't think we know enough to draw a conclusion
>>
>>37850029
you're the one arguing semantics, my friend.
every creature on this planet does nothing but try secure it's legacy and continue existing.
some do this by rapidly reproducing, some do it by building heritages so that the ones that do reproduce can carry on.
you're implying that because you were born with a conscious, your experiences, your purposes are more important than anything else. Sad to say, that isn't true. It's all just motions each species go through to survive, how they were built, because of their surroundings, to carry on.
>>
>>37849240
>afterlife
We're native to another plane of existence and usually upon death we go back, but we can be manipulated into staying. I believe that we have parallel, unconditioned personalities that are immortal on this plane of existence, and that there are many layers to reality, all of them influencing and referring to each other. There also is a truth, but I don't know what it is, and there is an ending, but it's going to be something unexpected.

>morality
Obligation, control (other than self-control), impositions, interference, pain, deprivation. Can't stand them. My ideals are pretty standard. The ability to see beauty, gentleness and sensitivity are important.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.