[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>just received a call from an attorney about a car debt that

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 2f7.jpg (7KB, 200x169px) Image search: [Google]
2f7.jpg
7KB, 200x169px
>just received a call from an attorney about a car debt that I never paid

What do /r9k/?

I dont want to go to jail
>>
>>37605848
You can't go to jail for debt, no such thing as debters jail (in US at least). Just ruins your credit, if it's the IRS they can take your shit though, garnish wages etc. It's gone to collections though meaning the damage is already done, and they're just trying to scare out if you whatever money they can, so ignore them. Damage is already done to your credit, can't do anything now then pay future bills and debts on time.
>>
>>37605995
Quick clarification on my part, you should still pay your debt, but do it when you can.
>>
>>37605848
sure it was an attorney and not some tough talking monotone debt collector agent?
>>
>>37606052

Not OP but I have 13K, at least that much in various debts. Car loan that has been charged off, credit cards, etc If I suicide what happens to that debt?
Nothing right? The debtors kinda swallow their pride and accept it? Maybe they'll initiate some type of "mental health" check on applicants as part of the application process when applying for a loan?
>>
>>37605848
>>37606624
this

It was most likely not an attorney, but a debt collector

When it come to legal procedures, attorneys don't phone you, they send you post letters. I'm not 100% sure if this applies to the US, but it is the case in Canada.
>>
>>37606735
Well if you're dead think it goes away yeah, they just accept it as a loss, and go fuck with other people. They don't actually care about people's lives or feelings. They just want their money, and now.
>>
Is he representing the car company or a debt collection company that bought your debt? If the latter, you don't owe shit. Ask for a copy of the contract between you and [collection agency] or to otherwise stop contacting you. Your debts been sold for pennies on the dollar. Car company wrote off the loss already. Sucks for your credit score, but you don't owe shit.

Unless the company you contracted with holds it still, then they can sue you and garnish your wages/tax returns. No jail though. This assumes you're American.
>>
>>37606735
Such losses are already accounted for in the interest rate you got. This is why different demos and credit scores pay different rates.

If you have money when you die they can take it out of your estate though. If you only have a few k I'd gift that away (without evidence that you intend it to be a prepayment of a will payment) before you go.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.