[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people smoke cigarettes? What do they get out of it?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 17

File: r2osox.jpg (86KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
r2osox.jpg
86KB, 540x540px
Why do people smoke cigarettes? What do they get out of it?
>>
>>37226937
because it makes me look cool. im not joking either
>>
>>37226974
I always assumed it calmed nervousness....
>>
File: 1463287093126.jpg (96KB, 800x916px) Image search: [Google]
1463287093126.jpg
96KB, 800x916px
>>37226937
lung cancer then death duh dumbass its like why do people become alcoholics it to speed up death and escapism
>>
It's a crutch for some. For others, it goes well with alcohol and coming off drugs. Back when I smoked it helped with my adhd symptoms and sort've allowed me have something to do with my hands. I think it just helped distract my troubled mind by having something to do. Also nicotine is addictive and many first-time smokers don't purposely intend to get hooked.
>>
File: 1481550748150.png (6KB, 195x259px) Image search: [Google]
1481550748150.png
6KB, 195x259px
>>37226937
>Nicotine is frequently used for its performance-enhancing effects on cognition, alertness, and focus.[40] A meta-analysis of 41 double-blind, placebo-controlled studies concluded that nicotine or smoking had significant positive effects on aspects of fine motor abilities, alerting and orienting attention, and episodic and working memory.
>>
>>37226974
>>37227066
This. I only smoke when I drink, they go together really well.
>>
>>37226937
They help me relax and shit, also it's cool to be contrarian
>>
The taste of tobacco can be genuinely enjoyable once your used to smoking too (or at least it is for me).
>>
File: 1495261554162.jpg (110KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1495261554162.jpg
110KB, 1024x576px
>>37226937
A way to relieve stress and momentary pleasure

And to look cool for some. People on /fa/ unironically talk about it all the time
>>
>>37226937
There's cigs here that I get from the reservation that are all natural with no additives and compared to the sotrebought ones they are amazing.

They smell really natural and good and there's no chemicals in it and they don't cause jitteriness and they feel really mild and airy. They also sell you enough to fucking to fucking kill a camel for 20 bucks (400 cigarettes) not that I could ever smoke that much

My dad refuses to buy them though and pays 11 bucks a pack so 400 cigarettes costs my dad like 250 dollars.
>>
How does one into smoking what brands would you bros recommend i try?
>>
>>37227278
Plz respond yoooooo
>>
>>37227202
Camel is pretty good. Marlboro too, but they're a little harsher
>>
>>37227278
Camel crush menthol tastes kinda nice and it's smooth for beginners
>>
they suppress my appetite. id like to quit because they smell gross and are expensive but id be afraid of eating everything and becoming an even bigger fatass.
>>
>>37227540
That's what adderal is for silly
>>
>>37226974
This is literally it. It makes you "feel" cool and then you just get hooked.
>>
>>37227278
Seriously don't try and get into smoking. It's hard as hell to kick and it will follow you around your whole life. After your addicted you don't even get the nice buzz or other feelings it's just like a requirement not to feel like shit and have a panic attack
>>
>2017
>still smoking cigarettes
Why not just vape?
>>
>>37226937
gets muh synapsis firing. imagination becomes stronger. writing becomes easier. its like the movie limitless but way less cool, also i die sooner.
>>
File: AustralianFrog.jpg (116KB, 370x391px) Image search: [Google]
AustralianFrog.jpg
116KB, 370x391px
waste of money + it's not even ''cool''
>>
it calms my nerves.
after a long day of work nothing beats a glass of whisky and a cig while my gf makes dinner.
>>
>>37227725
Yeah except like a joint and some pills
>>
I don't know about cigarettes but pipes are just top comfy. Maybe I'm just cosplaying as an old southern plantation owner but I like to sit in a rocking chair and puff. It's a very meditative act. Taking time out of the day to just sit and think a spell. The risks are seriously exaggerated. a bowl or two every week is no more harmful than walking down the block in a city. At least pipe smoke makes me happy and relaxed, the exact opposite of what walking down the sidewalk does. Since picking up the habit I've noticed cute little woodland critters scurrying about the property. Foxes, bunnies, coyotes, possums, armadillos, raccoons, even tasty ones like deer and turkey sometimes. The best part is it triggers the shit out of normalfags to hear that a man feels anything other than rabid hatred and horror towards tobacco.
>>
>>37227745
>a joints alright but i stay away from pills. shits addictive and can fuck you up.
>>
File: yoga.png (65KB, 650x456px) Image search: [Google]
yoga.png
65KB, 650x456px
>>37227074
I don't know why this is suppressed so hard. Nicotine is a fucking miracle drug with absolutely no downsides. Even if taken in the form of tobacco the benefits far outweigh the detrimental effects. I'm prescribed amphetamine and take it like I'm supposed to only rarely skipping days. Even with the speed I saw a significant spike in performance after I started doing nicotine.
>>
File: IMG_1755.jpg (42KB, 494x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1755.jpg
42KB, 494x540px
>>37226937

Can we talk about how superior black woman are?
>>
>>37227278
smokeless has all the benefits without the cancer. unless death is what your going for.
I recommend snus, because its not noticeable and you don't have to spit, but if you wanna go for that hillbilly aesthetic dip is fine. or if you wanna be really healthy, just go with a nicotine patch, though use them sparingly.

if you do wanna smoke for the cool factor, but wanna be less likely to die, go for cigars, since you don't inhale into the lungs, pricy too, but there's nothing like the feeling of a cigar, and the calming processes that come with opening it up, cutting the end, charring the burning side, ect. very grounding.

cigarettes are fine too, but they would be my last choice.
>>
>>37226937
People that smoke a pack a day are just being edgy

The first few take you down from a level 9, to a level 5, average. It's really useful if you're in a high-stress job, like the military, a kitchen, contracting and construction, sales or service and you're not an extrovert.

In leisure, they pair well with coffee and alcohol, and add to the relaxation factor.

They also act as replacements for addictions to drugs and alcohol, or food, as they suppress appetite.
>>
I do it cause it feels good. Those morning cigarettes get me high as a kite for a couple minutes, then a relaxing subtle buzz for an hour or two.
I'm trying to quit though, cause well.. It causes cancer, breathing problems, lung infections, throat infections, sinus infections, yellow teeth, bad breath, reduced taste, reduced penis size, reduced smell
>>
>always kinda smoked every once in a while, in social situations
>decide to by a pack one day, not really sure why, tell myself I'm not going to get addicted
>get addicted
>spend several months trying to quit and failing
>finally quit, not had any kind of nicotine in probably a little over a month now
>took about 3 days for me to stop feeling shitty all the time
>kept getting really strong cravings for like 2 weeks
>my mind still occasionally tries to come up with some excuse to do it again when I feel negative emotions
>have dreams where I smoke all the time now
cigarettes, not even once
>>
taste, the nicotine feeling and just to pass time

i mainly chew tobacco now though since its just for taste
>>
>>37227577
i do that too :(

and caffeine in large amounts
>>
>>37228102
how much where you smoking a day

i smoke max five

camel unfiltereds are my pick
>>
>>37226937
because they're fucking retards
You have been muted for 2 seconds, because your comment was not original.
>>
File: 7.jpg (26KB, 381x568px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
26KB, 381x568px
>>37228130
I just love chewing tobacco!
>>
It's very hard to describe the feeling you get of pure relief from nicotine

I hear it stops feeling good after a while, which really sucks huh.
>>
>started vaping for health benefits
>have to hide it or else rebbit memers will pick on me

Its actually not hard to hide so it's kind of fun having a dirty little secret. No flavor, 2% nicotine, 98% propylene glycol in a little 100w stealth mod. There's no smoke or smell, and at 2% nicotine it only takes a half second hit in the bathroom to be good for a few hours.
>>
>>37228217
oral cancer from chew is a lie

seriously

food from mcDs has more chemicals than tobacco
>>
>>37228261
t. 4chan's residential doctor
>>
Check it out bros

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17163954
>Both total and free testosterone levels increased significantly with increasing number of cigarettes smoked daily (p < 0.001). Smoking men had 15% higher total and 13% higher free testosterone levels compared with men who never smoked.

Correlation may not be causation in this case though. Schizophrenics are supposed to like cigarettes too so take that as you will. Inhaling smoke is obviously bad for you but if you really want to who is anon to change your decision?
>>
File: help-mes.jpg (32KB, 504x332px) Image search: [Google]
help-mes.jpg
32KB, 504x332px
Cigarettes have nicotine, and it's incredibly addictive (obviously). When people smoke cigarettes, their brains release dopamine, which is basically chemical happiness. For a smoker, cigarettes = happy.
They can't stop easily once they've started.
>>
>>37228190
At the most I was smoking an average of 10 a day, so not too hardcore but enough to give me a habit that was pretty hard to break
>>
>>37228261
>>37228217
Guys do some research. Cancer from dip is pretty rare, but it's not harmless like every redneck will try to convince you it is. You might not get cancer, but your gums are gonna get fucked up and you might lose a tooth, plus all tobacco has a cardiovascular risk.
>>
it used to lower stress for me but now it does nothing and im just addicted to it.

playing FPS games and exercising does wonders for my stress
>>
>>37228317
Nicotine is notorious for not being addicting in mammal studies. Read the animal studies. Pure nicotine alone isn't enough. At least read the Wikipedia article before spewing nonsense. The MAOIs are the secret sauce that get people hooked.
>>
I'm addicted to them, duh
>>
File: DO IT.png (44KB, 609x467px) Image search: [Google]
DO IT.png
44KB, 609x467px
>>37228459
Sorry, anon. I don't know much about cigarettes. Excuse me.
The only things I've heard about cigarettes are the chemicals and that nicotine is what's harmful in them.
>>
>>37228238
this, same with fidget spinners, it was made to help people, and now normies stole it and made it a meme.
>>
>>37227940
as if dip won't give you cancer. mouth cancer boy. plus you look like a retard hick boy and everyone thinks your gross
>>
>>37226937
Let me describe nicotine to you. Imagine hitting yourself in the head with a hammer 24/7. Every once in a while you stop hitting yourself for a few minutes. It feels great, but only relative to before you stopped. That's what smoking is.
>>
File: J_Cortes_Mini.jpg (10KB, 187x232px) Image search: [Google]
J_Cortes_Mini.jpg
10KB, 187x232px
>>37226937
Any /patriciansmoker/ here ?
Expencive but so fucking good, i smoke one or two a day, and i feel fuzzy for ten minutes after i smoke.
>>
>>37227940
>didnt mention vaping

have you been living under a rock?
>>
>>37228536
>thinks he's patrician
>can't spell expensive
>>
>>37228567
fuck off native speaker
>>
>tfw kicked the habit for 3 years only to start again this week
>>
>>37226937
Nicotine is a mild stimulant that helps with oftne undiagnosed ADHD
There is also a correlation between tobacco addiction and schizophrenia. Tobacco seems to alleviate schizophrenia symptoms.

The most addictive substance in tobacco however is not nicotine but a natural MAOI (monoamine oxidase inhibitor).

MAOIs are antidepressant.

I've been a heavy smoker with depression since adolescence and I tried to switch to electronic cigarettes. No matter how much nicotine I use, they don't alleviate the craving. It is my theory that I'm craving the MAOI, not the nicotine.

I still try and replaced about 50% of my smoking with vaping.
>>
>>37227202

yep, reservation cigarettes are the way to go.
>>
>>37228621
>Tobacco seems to alleviate schizophrenia symptoms.

i think you got it wrong. study shows that 80% of schizophrenia patients smoke cigarettes
>>
>>37227278

dude fucking belmonts are amazing, also Canadian classics if you live in canada
>>
>>37228639
>study shows that 80% of schizophrenia patients smoke cigarettes
Yes, because it helps with the symptoms.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia_and_smoking#Biological_theories
>>
>>37228620
you still have time, throw them shits away, you know it's not worth it
>>
>>37227278
smoke newport menthol if you want to never be able to smoke anything else ever again
>>
>>37228639
>>37228665
P.S. I've had a severe schizophrenic episode in my early 20s and I smoked like a chimney during. It was completely compulsory. As the psychotic symptoms vanished over the years, my smoking went with it. I still smoke, but much less.
>>
>>37228639
Why do you think they smoke so much? Try some critical thinking for once, retard.
>>
File: 1493929829182.png (44KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1493929829182.png
44KB, 657x527px
>>37228459

>wikipedia

I smoke because it's calming. I quit a couple days ago though, trying to get off them. You shouldn't rely on that sorta thing to treat depression, same with alcohol. Currently getting sober, too.
>>
>>37228528
Could you try explaining in a way that makes sense? Nicotine is a drug that is a very small part of the many drugs in cigarettes. Hitting yourself with a hammer is blunt trauma. The two are incomparable.
>>
>>37228486
The nicotine is one of the most harmless substances in tobacco, at the right dose.

Inhaling burned plant matter is what's so toxic.
That's why every smoker should consider vaping with as much nicotine is they want.
>>
>>37228739
Trying to go drug free sounds nice but you shouldn't go at it willy nilly. You wouldn't try to cure cancer by refusing chemo so why would anxiety and depression be any different? Self diagnosis and medication is good stuff but only when you know what you're doing. I'd advise a doctor if you're giving up on the diy route. I suggested Wikipedia so the dumbass at least knew the most basic information on the topic. If you're self medicating you'll obviously need to go a little deeper.
>>
>>37228510
implying that smokeless tobacco increases likelyhood of mouth cancer
implying you can even tell when someone has a snus in there mouth
implying all smokeless tobacco is the same
clearly showing you have no idea what your talking about
>>
It's probably one of the most addictive drugs i nexistence.

I quit alcohol years ago and do not miss it a bit. Super easy.

Also smoked weed for 10+ years, often daily. Taking breaks is very easy.

I also quit amphetamines many years ago. Not quite as easy but possible.

Tobacco was impossible for me to quit so far. It's hell.
>>
it's an excuse to take more breaks at work

that's the reason 90% of my coworkers smoke
>>
>>37228543
I was tempted to mention vapeing, but I know so little about it I felt it best to leave it unsaid, actually though if you want to explain the basics of it to me id love to hear, not even memeing
>>
>>37228853
addiction is weird. i've taken up smoking several times in my life when i was working stressful jobs. kept at it for months then stopped like it was nothing. no withdrawals, no urges, i just dropped it one day ezpz. zero addiction, never even finished my last pack. it's still sitting half full all stale in the desk drawer.

on the other hand i could never quit drinking, never. i've tried several times seriously with all my willpower and could never stay away for more than a couple of weeks. even when i tapered off and didn't get withdrawals, the urge was just too strong to last.
>>
File: eGo_AIO_01.png (343KB, 1059x839px) Image search: [Google]
eGo_AIO_01.png
343KB, 1059x839px
>>37228887
Not that guy but I've been transitioning to vaping over the last months.

Vape juice is PG (propylene glycol) + VG (vegetable glycerine) + aroma + nicotine
It's the same stuff that's used in asthma inhalers and in "smoke" machines at theaters or night clubs.

PG/VG are non-toxic. Only a very small percentage of the population is allergic to PG. They can use VG-only juices.

Vapes contain wicks that soak up the liquid, and a coils that heats the juice. You inhale that vapor. That's it.

As far as devices go, there are 2 broad categories:
- sub-ohm
- traditional

The coil's resistance is measured in Ohm. Lower resistance generates more vapor. (the coil heats up more quickly)
High resistance generates less vapor. (the coil takes longer to heat up)

Traditional vapes have resistances over 1 Ohm.

It's important to adjust the nicotine concentration to your coil. Sub-ohm = use less nicotine because you're getting more vapor.

The best current beginner's device is the Ego AIO. It's an All-In-One device with a leak-proof tank, USB charging port, very simple to use. Comes with a 0.6 Ohm coil but you can buy 0.5 to 1.5 Ohm coils. Costs about $25 ready to go.
>>
it's a form of slow motion suicide people smoke for the same reason anyone does anything that is harmful to them in the long term
>>
the thing about nicotine is that it gives you agency in modulating your level of stress, by instead making you stressed out about the fact that you're not smoking a cigarette right now
>>
>>37226937
>What do they get out of it?

Degenerate pleasure.
>>
Are American Spirits meme cigarettes? That's what I smoke.
>>
>>37228887

Not him but it's a lot like the patch, or lozenge. Instead of transdermal or buccal is inhaled. The coil in a vape is heated and produces a vapor. Solution is typically nicotine dissolved in propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine. Flavor is usually a concentrate in propylene glycol. Typical concentrations are nicotine at 0.3-1.2%, flavor mix 0.5-10%, plain propylene glycol total 20 to 40%, vegetable glycerine makes up the remainder. Occasionally you see weird stuff like vinegar or water, but this is the gist of it. The actual tech part gets complicated fast. I don't bother to learn it all since I just wanted it for the health, I've never even smoked before.
>>
>>37229077
Probably since they're advertised as organic even though they aren't any better for you. If they actually taste better than other brands of cigarettes then it's worth smoking them I'd say but I've never tried an american spirit.
>>
Gives me an excuse to leave the office for a bit
Makes standing around less awkward
>>
>>37229131
They taste a lot better because they don't contain additional chemicals like burning accelerators or moisteners.

I roll my own with American Spirit tobacco and thin hemp papers. The latter part is important because untreated tobacco is dry. Regular papers cause it to burn too hot and that tastes like ass. Thin hemp papers burn slowly.
I can't even stand regular cigarettes anymore.
>>
>>37229158
Does american spirit sell rolling tobacco? I don't have much experience with buying any loose tobacco because I live in the ghetto and black people don't roll their own cigarettes so the stores don't sell loose tobacco.
>>
>>37229216
Yes, and there are other brands selling untreated tobacco too, just as good
>>
File: 1441426099494.jpg (33KB, 299x288px) Image search: [Google]
1441426099494.jpg
33KB, 299x288px
It's just something to do with my hands especially in social situations I feel akward until I light up a cig I'm in the process of quitting now I went from like 10 cigs a day to only smoking on weekends if im drinking.
>>
>>37226937
it tastes good, especially with beer.
>>
File: 1495412636140.png (386KB, 578x790px) Image search: [Google]
1495412636140.png
386KB, 578x790px
>>37228653
My fuckin Ca-negro
>>
>>37228091
>reduces penis size
That's literally retarded.
>reduces smell
So I smell less? Good.
>>
>>37227443

Camel and Marlboro, great tastes anon
>>
>>37227826
It's bad for your heart
>>
>>37229024

Just a little info for vapers: Recent studies show that vaping above 470 degrees F is the best and fastest way to get cancer. 25 drags of a vape above this temperature contains almost 1000x the amount of acetaldehyde/formaldehyde of a regular cigarette.

Only vape with temperature limited mods and don't go over 440 degrees to stay safe.
>>
For me it helps with stress and it just feels good after a long day of bullshit
>>
>>37228748
I guess I should have said smoking instead of nicotine. Smoking is making yourself feel like shit so that you can get relief for a few minutes while smoking.
>>
>>37230394

>Smoking is making yourself feel like shit so that you can get relief for a few minutes while smoking

This sums it up perfectly, im 27 and ive been smoking since i was 14, trying to cut down on the road to quitting now, you put it really well there anon
>>
>>37226937
i never understood myself and i used to be into drugs. i never understood spending money on a drug that doesn't get you high.
>>
>>37230447
Maybe you're just too stupid to notice the high from drugs.
>>
>>37228486
I PUT A GUN TO A BUNNY LIKE CHOOSE

SAY SOMETHING FUNNY THE BUNNY GO BOOM
>>
Feels good man. The nicotine rush feels like someone just putting their hand on top of your head. Chills me out, stops my hand from shaking. I smoked like a chimney in the army and nowadays I only smoke when I drink, but sometimes I don't smoke when I drink. Hoping to eventually just be rid of the things forever cause cancer doesn't sound too fun
>>
>>37226937
I didn't get it yesterday or the first time I tried smoking, but a few moments ago I was really stressed and it really helped me.

I'm not going to smoke another one soon, though, I know how bad it is and I don't want to get addicted.
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.