[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a DBA or Cybersecurity degree worth it?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: 1487270549063.jpg (1MB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1487270549063.jpg
1MB, 1280x1920px
Is a DBA or Cybersecurity degree worth it?
>>
You could just get compsci and not pigeon hole yourself to 2 very specific jobs.
>>
>>37076719

Except employers want specific skills, even with bachelor's degrees. I'd rather pigeon hole myself to a good career
>>
>>37076804
That's what majors and minors are for
>>
Does cybersecurity require anything more than setting up firewalls and scanning ports? Isn't a degree in it a little overkill
>>
>>37076855

Its more than that

>>37076851
Its for an associates
>>
>>37076700
They pay well. One of the most boring jobs you can get into, however.
>>
>>37077109
>They pay well. One of the most boring jobs you can get into, however.

THats what Im looking for, Being in sales and talking to tons of people everyday really wears me out
>>
>>37077234
Enjoy being a desk monkey staring at data
>>
Any robots in Cybersecurity? What's the job like?
>>
Security will always be a good field. I wouldn't become a DBA though. Instead, become either a data scientist, engineer, or modeler. Big data is a way better field to get into right now.
>>
>>37079014
I'm just looking at 2 year degrees At there moment, those jobs require bachelors and possibly masters
>>
>>37079061
It will be tough getting a DBA job unless you have the experience or connections. I would go for security or get on a path to getting a big data related job.
>>
>>37079146

I have friends who are DBAs so I sorta have connections, I already have a bachelors but it was worthless so I'm going back. Not sure if it's worth it to get another degree that won't give me a specific skill
>>
>>37079202
Having connections is definitely good. Honestly in IT it's easy to move around. If you have the ability you can move into different fields within IT. It's really how you start. DBA work isn't for everybody and entails a lot of responsibility and challenges. DBA jobs have a higher chance of being outsourced and more and more automation within the field means less DBAs over time.

It can be a starring point for getting into big data though. But overall I would say security is where it's at. Security, big data, and cloud engineering are the best IT fields going forward. I've worked as a DBA for 4 years, coming to a senior level soon.
>>
>>37079628
Also outside of IT, programming is always a good field to get into as well.
>>
>>37079628
>DBA jobs have a higher chance of being outsourced and more and more automation within the field means less DBAs over time.

Really? I've heard the opposite. Because of the responsibilities, it's highly unlikely that it gets outsource
>>
>>37079690
The big Indian IT consulting companies like Tata, Cognizant, etc churn out DBAs like no tomorrow. A lot of offshoring goes on in the DBA world. Other fields like security are much safer.
>>
>>37079734
How is Cybersecurity much safer than DBA when DBA is more vital to companies than Cybersecurity yet it gets outsource?
>>
>>37079823
Data is important but so is security. It's another vital part. But with how things are going now, you can do more with less DBAs. Automation, dev ops, other fields opening up like big data chip away at DBAs. The need for a traditional DBA will dwindle as time goes on. And a lot of companies are fine with outsourcing DBAs. That's why I think it's better to get into other fields.
>>
i wil never understand why people like to choose soulless jobs looking at everything life is NOT about
>>
>>37079974

Because those jobs pay and people have bills and wants to pay gor
>>
>>37079823
Speaking from experience, security work is mostly hands-on. Very hard to do anything other than monitoring remotely. That is, doing the job of security means you actually have to be there. A DBA can just remote in from wherever and do their work.

Security is vital because information is vital to a company. Lost information means lost revenue. If there are people who can keep that from happening or mitigate the risk of data loss, then a company is going to pay top-dollar for that.

Not only that, but most companies horrendously understaff their infosec teams. For a large company, say 500 or more employees and multiple offices, you might have 3 or 4 infosec staff, This would be a couple of analysts, maybe an engineer or two, and then a director if you're lucky. Sometimes you'll have a CISO/CIO, but those are executive positions and have more to do with policy making than actually getting down and dirty.

I mean, think of it this way. A database could get wiped. If the company and DBA is smart they'll have backups ready to go and maybe even a failover solution. Now let's say someone is trying to hack into the database and steal customer info. What happens if they're successful? The data is still there (probably), but now someone has a copy and they can do whatever they want with it. Odds are they'll sell it. What does that entail? Loss of trust from your customers, loss of trust from shareholders, lawsuits, legal fines, damages, downtime, hardening of systems afterwards, lost man-hours, etc. the list goes on as to what a company loses when a breach occurs. A database goes down and you might suffer some downtime and some lost data, but that will be nowhere near the impact of stolen data.
>>
Getting a bachelors in infosec is like getting a bachelors in heart surgery.

Biggest mistake of my life - unless you take shitloads of supplementary training while in school, you won''t have the depth of technical experience to get hired into anything other than a governance/compliance/risk analyst position (which are just glorified spreadsheet monkeys). Hate my job (despite it paying well for it being my 1st yr out of school) and I'm going to teach my self app development so I'm less tempted to shoot myself in the face every weekday morning.

Just a disclaimer, the NSA accreditation of schools doesn't mean shit. My degree program is accredited by them and it taught me literally nothing.

Get a degree in compsci or info systems and then look to pivot into security by either taking it as a minor, orienting your capstone project around it, or getting a cert in addition to your degree.

But yeah - just one anon's experience - others might be different.
>>
>>37080091
>Loss of trust from your customers, loss of trust from shareholders,
Whats actually funny is that in most cases, breach victims see increase in business months afterward. People don't actually give a shit whether or not you get breached - it's how you handle it afterward. See target, home depot, etc...

To be honest, security is soul-crushing, especially in the /agile/ meme corporate environments. You're just seen as a roadblock and people just want you to fuck off and tell you to get out of their way so they can get to market faster and make money faster. And then when something bad does happen, they're quick to blame you and ask why you fucked off and how could you let this happen to them.

Terrible job to do in a corporate environment. You have no impact and no satisfaction. The only reason they hire you is so they can tick a box in their SOC2 /SSAE/whatever else that says they have a dedicated infosec program.
If you're going to go into security, work for a company whose main product is security - if people are paying shitloads for your service, they're going to listen to you and take what you say seriously. You're also more likely to be trained up technically by your company so you can deliver their services better.
>>
>>37080375
That'w where the speaking from experience part comes from, I already work in infosec.

The company I work for is an MSP, but our bread and butter is security. I work for the MSS team, and then there's the professional services team which handle all the pen tests, audits, and compliance stuff.

It actually kind of suck in terms of hours, satisfaction, and stress. Also, I was hardly trained other than a basic introduction into how to use some of the tools. Most of what I've learned was on my own.

Ideally, I want to get away from the analytical side of managed security and more into the engineering side of things. So, coming up with solutions for a client rather than just analyzing data. I also want to get more into research, but research doesn't fit in with the business model of the company, so it's unlikely I can branch into that.
>>
So do you need to go to college for infosec or nah

I thought computer work was all self studying NEETs like you see on TV

you have to go to school for that? how much is there to learn to get a cushy job
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.