[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>look at myself in the mirror >hey I look pretty good >dad

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 1482847910323.jpg (51KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
1482847910323.jpg
51KB, 400x323px
>look at myself in the mirror
>hey I look pretty good
>dad makes us take a family photo
>in the picture I look like a fucking deformed circus clown from outer space with a long football shaped head and the most repulsively ugly smile I've ever seen

I just don't get it.

On one hand, a lot of people say that your reflection isn't accurate because the image is flipped, but that shouldn't make you look that different. All your features should look the same, just reversed.

I'm hoping my dad was just using the wrong lens focal length for the picture and that's why I looked so ugly. But I think everyone else looked relatively normal in the picture. I don't know.
>>
some people are photogenic, most are not.
>>
>>36998950
But why? Why can't the camera just show you what you really look like?
>>
>>36998950
Also I'm tall and I had to tilt my head downward a little bit to look at the camera. Can that make you appear to have a long ugly head?
>>
>>36998968

Your eyes are way more accurate than a camera
>>
>>36998816
Post photo, OP.
>>
>>36998816
>I think everyone else looked relatively normal in the picture

That's because you're seeing them the way you always see them. But like you mentioned, the photo shows your face reversed from how you're used to seeing it (in the mirror).

It's not that you look bad, it's that your brain sees your face, says "Something's not right", and the result is the mild state of panic you're feeling now.

Remember, everybody else sees you in the photo exactly as they normally do. They won't think you look weird in it. And neither should you.
>>
>>36999874
Why would the reverse image in the mirror seem completely different? Your features are the same; just flipped around.
>>
>>37000913
It's just that our minds are really that sensitive to the appearance of our face, especially since we're used to seeing it a particular way every day. There's a well-known psychological effect that causes people to feel disgust and fear when they register the shape of their face having changed, even if the changes are very minor.

In other words: Everything is normal; it's your brain that's having an overreaction to what it sees in the photo.

Incidentally, the reason I know this is because I'm preparing for jaw-advancement surgery at the end of the year. One of the common side-effects they prepare you for is that patients tend to become despondent when they first see the new shape of their face, thinking the surgeon made a horrible mistake. In fact, their face is (in most cases) objectively much better-looking, but the fact it has changed _at all_ is enough to trigger panic the person.

Of course, eventually they get used to the new look of their face, after which they're able to evaluate much more objectively the results of the surgery.
>>
File: 5942.jpg (5KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
5942.jpg
5KB, 240x240px
>>37001218
>I'm preparing for jaw-advancement surgery

>not being born with a strong jaw in the first place
>>
>>36998816
when you look into a mirror you see an inverted image of your face the picture is what everyone else sees.
>>
>>36998816
protip:

whatever picture or method you look ugliest in is closest to the way other people actually see you
>>
>>37001251
>>not being born with a strong jaw in the first place
I was, actually. But chronic sinus congestion as a young child led to constant mouthbreathing, which made a mess of my teeth and jaw. Then orthodontics as a teenager cemented the damage in place.

Now, at age 38, I'm finally trying to get something like the face I would have had naturally. All part of rising up from robothood.
>>
>>37001218
>>37001267
But why does my head look longer and more narrow in pictures than it looks in the mirror?
>>
>>36998968
because you are a 3d body and the picture gets a 2d image with depth added only by contrast of light and shit
>>
>>36998968
>>36999496
A good camera can. Hell not even a good camera. Just one with a 50 mm lens.
>>
>>37001315
bad mirror or bad camera maybe

maybe in a mirror you shift yourself to look best. in a photo you don't know what you look like, your face will be at a random angle and you can't control it
>>
>>37001315
Probably either your brain is fooling you or it's just distortion from the camera lens.
>>
File: 1412941016659.png (138KB, 517x375px) Image search: [Google]
1412941016659.png
138KB, 517x375px
Don't forget your voice sounds like shit to everybody else!

I was saddenned when I recorded my voice and played it back to me. I sound like a foreign faggot with an accent, and have to explain to people

>n-no, I'm native born, my voice just sounds like shit....
>>
>>37001401
I have the same problem. People always ask me where I'm from. I have this weird made up accent that won't go away.

The really strange part is I don't hear the accent when I'm talking. In my head I hear a normal American accent. But when I listen to a recording of my voice I sound like a stoned, drunk Russian guy with a lisp.
>>
>>37001401
>mfw my voice sounds like shit to me too
at least no one has complained that i have a banshee screech for voice or anything
>>
File: 1462511342123.gif (955KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1462511342123.gif
955KB, 360x360px
>>36998816
>tfw distorted body image
>even if I became good looking one day I wouldn't be able to tell
>>
>>37001353
I don't think it's a bad camera. My dad has a very expensive Canon.

I thought maybe he used the wrong lens, but the thing is, everyone else's face looked normal. Their heads didn't look abnormally long like mine. At least not that I noticed.
>>
>>37001345
Isn't 70 mm better for portraits than 50?

I think my dad was using a 35 mm lens from about 6 feet away or so. Would that distort your face?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.