[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hate it when normies think that mental problems can go away

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1458.jpg (78KB, 707x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1458.jpg
78KB, 707x500px
I hate it when normies think that mental problems can go away by "talking about it and a little bit of therapy"

I just got diagnosed with schizophrenia and the first thing my mom said to me was "you can get better you can get through this I know you can"
>>
>>36949888
Sorry to hear that anon. I'm bipolar and my dad doesn't even recognize that so I can kind of relate.
>>
You won't ever fix yourself but you can certainly improve your life and find ways to cope with it
>>
>>36949888
You CAN get better anon. You can't get cured, by you can reduce the likelihood of psychotic episodes and learn how to spot signs of them in advance, as well as getting help coming to terms with your illness. I am not schizophrenic personally but I am schizoid and schizotypal (diagnosed by an actual therapist). How did you end up getting diagnosed?
>>
>>36950382
My mom thought that some of the things I heard and saw weren't real, and she always said I had crazy eyes so she was suspicious. Then she found me talking to someone who she says wasn't there and she took me to a psychologist. She asked me a few questions (which I answered truthfully and I regret that) and diagnosed me.
>>
>>36950695
I get your frustration anon, but it's likely for the best. These things can get worse with time, and what way initially start as strange but harmless conversations with people who aren't actually there can potentially escalate to dangerous or distressing situations. You'll probably just get put on some medication that will reduce the likelihood of this sort of thing happening again.
>>
>>36950779
I think my moms the one that's mentally ill because the people I talked to were real. I don't have schizophrenia I think the psychologist made a mistake.
>>
>>36950823
You need to keep in mind that psychologists are trained for this sort of situation, they're very adept at sounding people out and working out whether or not someone is experiencing a genuine psychosis. If you think a mistake has been made, feel free to say this to your doctor or psychiatrist, but remember getting overly aggressive or violent about it would be counterproductive. Who was the person you believed you were talking to anon? Was this a person who just appeared in your room, that you'd never seen before, and started speaking to you? What sort of things did you discuss?

Also, look into getting what is known as a mental health advocate. There are people who work for charitable organisations tasked with speaking up for patients diagnosed with serious mental illness.
>>
>>36949888
You can't cure that shit, anon but people with mental illnesses do go on to live fulfilling lives with the right tools. I hope you're not dismissing therapy; it has made my life better.
>>
>>36949888
Of course normies don't understand. How could they? Learn to look down on normies.
>>
>>36949888
Well, any time a normie says some shit like this, I usually tell them the next time they say it I'll cut off their hand or their leg and repeat what they said.
>>
People acting like they can understand what it's like are the worst.
"Haha, I used to be just like you!! Just get a job! Life goes on! I used to be confused about life too!"
>>
i can understand just as much about menstruation and giving birth as a female therapist can understand what it's like to be a manlet, or a dicklet

i've never understood how some pill is supposed to help you with that. there are no pills for growing tall or growing a bigger dick. they can only give you pills to make you delusional. how does that help anyone? some things you just can't fix and it's okay.
>>
File: .....jpg (5KB, 200x193px) Image search: [Google]
.....jpg
5KB, 200x193px
>>36949888
Fucking this.

I have AvPD and my parents think I can just happily go out and apply for jobs and talk to people with ease. To them it's just "a little anxiety" when it's so much more. It's almost like they don't like that their child is fucked up so they try to think differently.
>>
>>36951623
Normies love delusion. That's why they pop literal blue pills all the time.
>>
>>36950929
>You need to keep in mind that psychologists are trained for this sort of situation, they're very adept at sounding people out and working out whether or not someone is experiencing a genuine psychosis

You're mostly right, and schizophrenia is pretty easy to spot.

He should probably get a second opinion though.

My parents have, over the years, made me go to 6 psychologists and a psychiatrist. They even made me get comprehensive evaluation at a major university. The comprehensive evaluation involved me mostly discussing my issues with one psychologist, but the material the psychologist generated was reviewed by a panel, so I don't really know how many people reviewed my case. I'm guessing another 3-5 people.

Anyway. Almost every psychologist has diagnosed me with something different, and the psychiatrist didn't recommend I take any medication.

The evaluation at the university ruled out autism, but I supposedly have major depression and anxiety. Medication is recommended. Supposedly, I have a cumulative IQ that falls in between 1 and 2 standard deviations above the mean, but Im a total NEET, and I had a hard time with calculus in college. I ended up majoring in something worthless and I've never had a half decent job. I really don't understand how you can have an IQ score greater than 85%-90% of the population, but be totally worthless and basically unemployable.

Outside of major issues, like schizophrenia, I feel like psychology and psychiatry are very hit or miss.

Most people have have problems because they're stuck in miserable situations. If I had a good job, if my mother wasn't a raging alcoholic, if my dad wasn't an enabler, if I was actually smart, if I had some future to look forward too, then I wouldn't be such a miserable an anxious person.
>>
>>36951864
I agree entirely that he should get a second opinion. I want a second opinion for my diagnosis too, but I haven't got round to asking for it yet.
>>
>>36949888
nice trips. learn to never take your mom literally, everything she says to you about yourself is always coming from a place of unconditional blind love

do what you can to manage it. it's not the end of the world
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.