[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My arts degree is belittled by those with STEM degrees. I'm

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1452395426766.jpg (698KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1452395426766.jpg
698KB, 1920x1200px
My arts degree is belittled by those with STEM degrees. I'm told my English degree is worthless and useless. That's a hard thing to face. Look, OP did it to him- or herself, saying that his or her own arts degree is not making any money. We are told over and over again that our fields of study are outdated and a waste of time and money so much so that we have internalized the message.
So we get the degrees in the humanities because that's what calls to us, and then later we find there are no jobs or every job requires a different degree because our culture on the whole has devalued the arts. Even the government budget wants to defund the National Endowment for the Arts and National Endowment for the Humanities this year, even though those things take like 0.03% of the budget. I have personally met someone who feels like he shouldn't have to pay this pittance of a tax because he doesn't like art. Yeah, he's not getting a second date.
But what employers and STEM majors don't get is that we arts majors can be really useful and versatile. We may need a little boost in some maths like accounting and statistics if we go into business, but we will be the most well oiled cog in the machine because of our communication skills. Insurance representatives, social workers, school administrators, secretaries and assistants, human relations personnel, writers and editors and journalists and publishers, clerks and record keepers, librarians. Not to mention, we're behind a lot of the ideas in the entertainment industry. Video games are just interactive literature; we need software devs and writers and visual artists to make a good game come alive.
We need to stop telling the arts majors that they're worthless. And we need to start telling everyone else that the arts are priceless.
>>
File: 1387544275056.jpg (15KB, 229x248px) Image search: [Google]
1387544275056.jpg
15KB, 229x248px
>>36913085
>Tfw studying for a B.A in English

Thanks OP.
>>
>>36913085
>comes on here with an arts major
>talks about how arts majors have better social skills
>social skills = normie
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>36913085
>Insurance representatives, social workers, school administrators, secretaries and assistants, human relations personnel, writers and editors and journalists and publishers, clerks and record keepers, librarians
You don't need an Arts degree for all that. Not like I would be a complete social retard if I didn't do an Arts degree.

>software devs
You're going to need a STEM degree for that.

Now stop deluding yourself and other naive teenagers into thinking an Arts degree is worth anything more than toilet paper.
>>
I was raised by an artsy family and told to major in whatever I want, so I majored in computer science.

Didn't realize people majored in it for money until my sophomore year. English seems pretty normy business-tier stuff, why are you on r9k anon?
>>
>>36913085
>arts make you more social
>tfw majored in piano, the one instrument you play because you have no friends to play with.
>>
An actual arts degree were you can paint shit like in the OP would be far superior to a "bachelor of arts" in anything
>>
The dumbass thing about art degrees is that you paid upwards of 30k for it when you could have self taught

I'm 30k in debt but I ave an IT degree and my starting salary is like 40k so basically I just traded 1 year's salary for a lifetime of being qualified for higher level tech jobs

You traded 30k for literally nothing. Having an undergrad arts degree will not help you get a job you couldn't have gotten with a highschool diploma
>>
>our communication skills
Was this the punchline? Why does the text keep going afterwards?
>We need to stop telling the arts majors that they're worthless.
>And we need to start telling everyone else that the arts are priceless.

Oh heh that part was funny as well, 6/10
>>
>>36913085
tee el dee are

orign
>>
You remind me of those faggots that want to convert STEM into STEAM so arts degrees can pretend they arent worthless.
>>
>>36913085
Your monetary value is determined by the amount of people that are capable and willing to perform the task you offer. Many people are capable and willing to do your job, therefore it is not valued.

It's your own fault for paying money to study that, find a niche and make yourself useful to society.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.