[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /r9k/ Retail wagecuck here, trying to go to community college

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: CADD-header.jpg (296KB, 1771x458px) Image search: [Google]
CADD-header.jpg
296KB, 1771x458px
Hi /r9k/
Retail wagecuck here, trying to go to community college and was wondering wether majoring in Engineering Drafting and Design as a good idea.

I looked over the curriculum and it kind of sounds like a Graphics Design degree with some ENG courses thrown in. Doesn't really sound that great but maybe im wrong.

How's the job outlook for this kind of thing? If all goes well, im hoping to go to a big boy's university after community college...
>>
I work in an HVAC design firm. The market is really good right now and it will be easy to find a job, but that might change in 2 years. The place where I work will take pretty much anybody who knows what happens when you type pl in AutoCAD. They make decent money too, much better than retail. The downside is it's not the most exciting career, there's not much room for promotions (promotions are for engineers) and you will be a cubicle drone until you retire.

It's not a super awesome field, but it could be worse. A step up from retail for sure.
>>
>>36851140
Thanks for the honest reply.

If I can get the degree and land a job, then maybe I can actually become a full fledged engineer one day and leave my retail days behind me.
It would be nice to have a job where you actually do cool things, get treated like a human being and make a decent income for once.
>>
>>36851188

To become an engineer, you will need an engineering degree. That part is non-negotiable. From what I've seen, there are a lot of CAD drafters who were planning on getting an engineering degree and never actually did because life gets in the way, it's hard to study and work full-time, and it's probably demoralizing having to learn things in college, knowing full well that you will never use it in your field. I've only met one person who actually did it. The upside is if you do that, you have a guaranteed job when you graduate, while a lot of new graduate engineers are stuck holding their cocks.
>>
>>36851188

Also, be prepared to not actually do cool things. If you are a CAD drafter in my company, you will draw pipe and AC ducts. If you are an engineer, you do that and beg architects to give you more ceiling space, but for more money.
>>
>>36851532
>>36851569
I'll keep that in mind...
I want to hopefully manage to successfully get my engineering degree one day even if CAD is a stepping stone to help me achieve it.

I would hope that since im single and have no kids, I would have lots of free time devoted to getting it though
>>
>>36851662

Even if you don't get your engineering degree, being a CAD drafter your whole life isn't a bad way to go. You'll make enough money to support a middle class lifestyle and you get treated like a human. Imagine the movie Office Space, but your boss is nicer.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.