[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one start traveling the world? I want to quit my job

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: trvl.jpg (11KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
trvl.jpg
11KB, 275x183px
How does one start traveling the world? I want to quit my job and backpack around all 7 continents, but I don't even know where to begin. Like what are visas and stuff? And how do I go about getting it. Do I need a passport ? How do I get the money of other countries if all I have is US dollars? How does one even get around if you don't speak the language of that country?
>>
>all 7

You mean six, you aren't going to Antarctica
>>
>>36748076

If you're this clueless, don't even bother in the first place because you're probably going to get robbed and beat to death by locals or even worse.

Just go to a fancy resort like all the normies do when they travel. It can be fun, but just don't act like it's "expanding your mind" or some stupid pretentious shit like that.
>>
I travel often.

I didn't quit job, so I can't give advice there, but I do get good vacation hours and decent pay that allows me to budget for travelling like every 6-8 months.

Yes. You need a passport. Get one.

Visas depends where you want to go. Most EU countries don't require to get a visa before but you are not allowed to stay pass 3 months. Check out travel page on the dept of state for which countries you need a visa before. If you do, you'll need to go to offices, pay fees, wait period, etc.

Exchange houses are the obvious way to get currency. Today, most major banks allows you to use international Arms. Research the which cards have fees, which banks partner with global banks, etc for best use of your money.

You will find English speakers in almost every major city. Anything else will be difficult. Use translator apps or something. But for me, that's part of the fun
>>
Don't be scared by all these people. Just go for it, you speak English, it's the most common language in the world. It will be your best memories, you will meet a lot of friends, do crazy things and learn a lot about the life, people and yourself.

It's not as hard as it looks like, believe me.
>>
>>36748076
>muh travelling meme
kys
>>
>>36748316
You are going to live a boring and regret filled life if you don't travel the world
>>
/trv/fag here.

Been to about 35 countries since 2013. Going to Ecuador on Monday and then Mexico and Tanzania in June and July, respectively.

I've traveled a lot on my own dime. Unless you're rich or can live off your parents' checkbook,you'll likely have to make sacrifices to afford going overseas. I'll be graduating university a couple years late, given how much time I've taken off to work, save money, and wander off to strange places.

Traveling isn't as prohibitively expensive as most people think provided you don't have a wife, children, massive amounts of debt, or other inescapable and pressing familial and financial obligations (i.e., if you're young like me and haven't accrued massive credit card debt). I took my first couple trips with money I earned as a pizza delivery driver.

However, I've given up a fair bit of fun at home. I don't go out to bars or clubs, still have an Xbox 360, rarely upgrade my electronics, and don't upgrade my wardrobe regularly (I have nice clothes but would rather save money than get more). Being financially conservative lets me be recklessly irresponsible the other half of the year.

You'd probably be better off long-term by not traveling and saving money, but you didn't ask about that.
>>
>>36748959

Also going to add on that I don't have to save nearly as much as I used to since I've gotten into freelance writing. I usually earn about $1500 per month doing articles and essays for between five and ten hours per week.

Not a fortune but it's more than enough to make me happy when I'm in countries like India or Thailand or Colombia.

If you have any skills others might pay to use, then you can look for similar opportunities.

Otherwise just do what I did when I was younger, which is work hard, spend little, and save lots. Unless you're only willing to go to Western Europe or Japan or some shit, there are lots of really cool and interesting places that can be done on $600-ish per month or less (not including airfare).
>>
>>36749075
how do i get into freelance writing bro? im a good writer
>>
>>36749598

>mfw 'im a good writer'

Fucking kek.
>>
>>36748076
>How does one start traveling the world?

Normies do it by working retarded-hard for a few years, then travelling for a few years, rinse and repeat.

The most I did was go to Central America for a month with my college, but it was still a great experience and off the beaten path.

>Like what are visas and stuff?
A "visa", generally speaking is just a country's permission for you to be in their country. Either as a tourist or as a temporary worker or whatever else.

Work visas are if you'd like to work in a country that you are travelling in. So it's not so much "travelling" put rather taking up a temporary residence.

>And how do I go about getting it.

For a work visa? it depends on the country but you either apply directly to the government through a website, or you can have your employer facilitate the procedure.

>Do I need a passport ?

Yes, you need a passport to leave your country and enter another.

>How do I get the money of other countries if all I have is US dollars?

You have places that exchange your money. You can do it in the US, or you can do it in their country.

>How does one even get around if you don't speak the language of that country?

If you stick to touristy cities and areas, you can get by with English. It's a universal language at this point. It's always wise to speak a bit of the local language of course.
>>
What size travel backpack do you guys recommend?

I was thinking 40L because I don't plan on carrying much or keeping souvenirs or anything
>>
>>36748076
>do I need a passport

Nigga stay home
>>
3/4 of the world is a shithole, fuck traveling outside of my comfy town tbqh
>>
>>36748820
>he fell for the travel the world to find yourself meme
>>
>>36750964
What is the point of life?
Do you really think it's working every day for money.
Traveling the world is an adventure and an experience. I feel like if I do this, I will not having any regrets when I get old. It's a dream of mine, and I watch all these travel shows and I'm just amazed. I want to do this , I want to travel the world wherever I went, me and a backpack over my shoulder not knowing what will happen next or what situation I will get in.

I understand that one must work to survive. But I'm not ready to settle down yet, not until I experience life. I have no current obligations. No kids. no debt. no wife or gf. My job is only entry level.
I have nothing to lose really.

The only small worry is not being able to find work when home
>>
People who travel are trying to run away from something, to a fill a void in their life. They want to escape the rat race, that's fine we all do, but sooner or later you have to come back and face reality. Now you're going to be older. I'm not a big fan of "visiting" places, I would rather live at the new place for at least a month. You can only do so much in 1 or 2 weeks. Most people who travel today do it so they can post pictures on their instagram accounts and look cultured. Truth is going to some shitty 3rd world country, living in a disgusting smelly hostel does not make you a better person.
>>
>>36751320
>People who travel are trying to run away from something, to a fill a void in their life.

Yes and what if travel does actually fill that void. People have traveled since the beginning of time. Explorers venturing into new land. Now look how accessible travel is now compared to any other point in the history of humans. I think it would be ridiculous to die without seeing everything you possibly can of this world and experience all different cultures and view all it's scenery and wonder.
>>
>>36751234
No matter where you arte, the sky is the sky and the people are people

Travelling is a meme for simpletons.

You'll learn this when you mature
>>
File: hoboNEETboi.jpg (140KB, 700x412px) Image search: [Google]
hoboNEETboi.jpg
140KB, 700x412px
>Tfw going on a camping trip, then a backpacking trip through multiple states, then going hitchhiking

How does one travel? By having a source of income. Busking is fine, but don't expect anyone to fund your adventures. My advice is to save your income, invest in something like betterment, and then travel on $6000-$10,000 a year.
>>
>>36751769

I would love to go camping, but I live in Florida lol.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.