[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are these guys really the ten greatest writers ever?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 207
Thread images: 16

File: file.png (448KB, 976x1664px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
448KB, 976x1664px
Are these guys really the ten greatest writers ever?
>>
>>36508276
Orwell isn't that great talking about writting skills, I mean, he is amazing talking about politics and society in general but not in creating an entertaining masperpiece of fiction
>>
>>36508276
Yeah it's a good list.
Holds the most important modern influences.

It's like how every good band is some combination of black sabbath, the beetles, king crimson and a handful of others.
>>
>no Melville
>no Joyce
Shit list
>>
Dickens, Poe, Orwell, and Tolkien are totally out of place in that list. Don't get me wrong: they are good writers. But they can't hold a candle to the rest.
>>
>>>/lit/ is agood board for you. not telling you to leave, just suggesting :)
>>
>>36508474
>>36508481
>>36508324
pretty much this

orwell does have a great imagination though, we and bnw aside
>>
File: 1460802934855.jpg (104KB, 656x652px) Image search: [Google]
1460802934855.jpg
104KB, 656x652px
>>36508276
>5 of them are British

Absolutely
C I V I L I S E D
>>
>>36508474
Joyce was a horrible try hard who unironically wrote fart erotica

Braaaap fags must love him
>>
Should Shakespeire be considered the best? He was primarily a playwrite
>>
Never realized that Tolkien just rode off that LotR success
>>
Where's JK rolling? IDK Tolstoy or whoever the fuck.
>>
File: 1483271345276.png (233KB, 568x590px) Image search: [Google]
1483271345276.png
233KB, 568x590px
>tfw 7 out of 10 are INFP
It gives me some hope in livining.
>>
>>36508324
if you're talking strictly "who is good at writing" then tolkien is 100% the odd man out on this list (though yeah orwell is probably close behind)

tolkien was never a good writer. his skill was 100% in his autistic worldbuilding ability
>>
Tolsty > Dosty is a normalfag meme.
>>
>>36508678

Did you dropout at 8th grade?
>>
>>36508481
this is basically true, though i think poe probably has an outside shot at #10

some other writers who hover around the fringe off the top of my head:
>hemingway
>borges
>joyce
>chekhov
>asimov
>calvino
>vonnegut
>faulkner
>nabokov
>beckett
>garcia marquez
>pirandello
>proust
>steinbeck
>brecht
>fitzgerald
>ibsen

tried to limit this to people who mostly did novels or plays
>>
>>36508631
In private letters to his wife that were never supposed to be published

If you don't like Dubliners you're not a true robot
>>
>>36508973
nice list anon, aslo
>borges
my nigga
>>
>>36509010
for real
"the dead" is literally so well-written that the film adaptation (by huston, btw, so not just some idiot) recognized that it couldn't do justice to the last paragraph and just ended with a voiceover
>>
>no stephen king

Shit list
>>
File: fear-and-loathing.jpg (316KB, 1104x1600px) Image search: [Google]
fear-and-loathing.jpg
316KB, 1104x1600px
I'm personally fond of the Strugatskys and Thompson, but I admit that they're probably not "best of all time" material.
>>
>>36508276
anybody else hate William Shakespeare?
>>
>>36508645
Nigga you gotta write the play down first
>>
>>36509127
Its cause you were forced to read him in english class instead of seeing his plays performed
>>
>>36508645
Its about writers in general, not just authors of books. So hes perfectly acceptable.

Throwin my hat in for hemingway
>>
>>36509148
If it's meant to be viewed, why were we made to read that stupid shit?
Every year you had to read something by the cunt and it was always shit.
>>
>>36509040
anybody who thinks borges isn't dope is an idiot

>>36509097
i thought about including thompson in >>36508973 but i think he might be a tier below the tier below the top 10, in a sense. other guys on that list might be dos passos, cather, graham greene, levi, arthur miller

looking back at that list there are a few other additions i would make. twain's the big one. moliere. maybe updike. i personally hate austen but i get why it's important.

if there is anything to be learned from this it's that consciously creating a "literary canon" is dumb and pointless
>>
>>36509152
>Its about writers in general, not just authors of books
Fair, he just seems like the odd one out in that regard.
>>
>>36509127
No, because Ive graduated highschool and actually enjoyed my time in advanced english.
>>
>>36509152
"novelists and playwrights" seems to be how the list is set up, since otherwise i'm pretty sure milton would supersede tolkien etc.
>>
>>36509178
Well sorry you went to a shitty school. My teachers showed us romeo & juliet with zac efron and it was boss. Plus I was in drama so I got to perform them.

>>36509186
Homer is also not a writer in the usual sense
>>
>>36509090

He's a favorite American author of mine along with Crichton and Vonnegut but, come on, anon. Maaaaybe he'd be somewhere in #10-30 where Orwell belongs. #30-40.

Dude had a great work ethic but most of his work is not Towers-tier good. It's mostly generic and samey and he hit it big because of timing and luck.
>>
>>36508276
Poe is a meme.
Orwell is more important for the messages behind his writing rather than the writing itself.
Tolkein is an excellent worldbuilder but only a decent-at-best writer.

Otherwise solid list.
>>
>>36509230
personally i'd be hesitant about considering anybody still living the "best" in a recorded tradition that goes back thousands of years
>>
>>36509186
He coined dozens of phrases that are still in use to this day.
The man deserves the spot frankly
Ive fallen out of my reading habit in the recent year and i was never well-read on shakespeare so someone else will have to articulate the "why" better.
Really i think youre just caught up on thinking of him as a playwright and not as a proper "writer" even though he is one.
>>
>>36509188
What makes his stuff good?
>>
>>36509090
Nigger fucking please.
I dont think he'd even break the top 100.
Though it might just be because i read like 80% of his work in middleschool and got burned out on him. He could tell a great story but he never struck me as being a master of the word
>>
>>36509274
He perfectly encapsulates storytelling and writing in both expression of thematic elements and plot.
What makes him bad other than youre a moron that cant grasp his works even with a dictionary and someone holding your hand through it?
>>
>>36509274
More than any other writer in history, Shakespeare was able to convey emotion through dialogue to the point where you can tell exactly how a character is feeling at any given point. Centuries later, we can still relate to his characters because he told human stories that have proven to be timeless.
>>
>>36509267
my pretentious graduate school take on this is that shakespeare's big thing was that he took conventional forms for drama (comedy, tragedy...) and packaged them for an english-speaking audience. it's not that he was the first to do this, but he was probably the best at it.

our contemporary idea of the tragic hero (for instance) is essentially a shakespearian read of a "classical" trope.

more importantly than just introducing this stuff, though, shakespeare used it to explore the interiors of characters rather than moving the plot forward. we take a certain depth of characterization for granted today but shakespeare basically worked out how to use the dramatic mode to develop a character and essentially provided a framework for future writers

it is telling that even though literature etc. has gone through centuries of debate about what should be "canon" and what shouldn't be, nobody can touch shakespeare. at the end of the day, even people who want to throw out everybody who's even been in a great books anthology will admit that shakespeare is important to understanding the development of english-language literature
>>
>>36509274
Just google "tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow monologue". Read it. If you still need to ask that question, I feel sorry for your non-existent aesthetic sense.
>>
>tfw you can't read
>>
File: f63.jpg (41KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
f63.jpg
41KB, 396x382px
>>36509090
>stephen king
literally plebbit tier
>>
File: IMG_0670.jpg (143KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0670.jpg
143KB, 1280x720px
>>36509407
This makes me want to get back into reading and finally jump into some actual writing ive dabbled but never committed to.

Thanks /r9k/, I hate what youve become these past years but its posts like this that make me crawl back

Perfectly expressed and knowledgeable
>>
>>36509127

yes, Tolstoy did, actually.
>>
>all white

Truly a disgusting list
>>
>>36509391

You mean his achievement was that he used words to their maximum potency and efficiency with the least amount of waffle?
>>
File: sf.jpg (341KB, 620x368px) Image search: [Google]
sf.jpg
341KB, 620x368px
It doesn't say how they are ranked. Ranking authors by "ability" or "popularity" seems next to pointless to me. The styles of Shakespeare/Tolkien/Homer/Orwell are so different it's hard to compare them. I guess if you want to rank them by "influence," that is a solid list. That is probably a good list of authors to read if you want to be well-versed in literature.

If we're ranking by likability or interest, my top 10 list is going to be almost entirely science fiction authors, because that's the genre I like. There isn't a single science fiction author on that list (I guess you could count Orwell though he was clearly more interested in political commentary.) Science fiction seems like the red headed stepchild in academia.

Crichton is one of my favorite authors, and not because his writing is particular good (sometimes it's plain janky.) The guy just had one hell of an imagination. A lot of people who take literature more seriously would say I have crap taste, and if the recent best seller's lists are anything to go by, most people who buy books have crap taste too. Maybe they're right.

In any case ranking authors seems kind of pointless to me, this shit is almost entirely subjective.
>>
>>36509354
>What makes him bad other than youre a moron that cant grasp his works even with a dictionary and someone holding your hand through it?
That's pretty much why i don't like him, I don't know what's there to like.
some people are just genetically inferior, they have inferior intellect, it's not my fault you faggot.
>>36509391
>you can tell exactly how a character is feeling at any given point. Centuries later, we can still relate to his characters because he told human stories that have proven to be timeless.
So other people weren't doing that?
If that's the case then that's pretty cool.
>>
>>36508276
William being number one should be a pretty huge sign that this is a worthless list. He was a hack that pandered to the lowest idiots in society. His works are pretty much equivalent to Twilight, 50 Shades of Grey, or Harry Potter.
>>
>>36508276
>>36508973

What about Chesterton?
>>
>>36509609
Most rankings like this are, fairly pointless, but list making is an autistic thing that the internet has made incredibly popular.
>>
>>36509572
i actually thought a good deal about this while trying to respond to the original list and honestly had trouble landing on a whole lot of truly influential writers who weren't white

khalil gibran springs to mind but was he more of a poet? i guess if the original list contains homer, whose two big things are basically epic poems, then gibran is valid and relevant

akutagawa?
soseki?

lu xun?

chinua achebe is a meme but he might have a claim to influence just because every single white person in charge of a "world literature" syllabus includes "things fall apart" so they can represent african literature (or african lit that's not by white south africans)
>>
>>36509448
Pedro Calderon De La Barca did it better with Segismundo not saying he is better than Shakespeare but his soliloque was amazing
>>
>>36509634
i would put him at a tier below that, maybe among the names mentioned in the second line here >>36509185
somebody like cs lewis or ford madox ford might be in there too
>>
No john green? Oh man
>>
>>36509714
as an addendum, i also thought about ralph ellison but felt weird about including a guy who basically wrote a book and then couldn't write any more, kind of like harper lee

james baldwin is a good option but people's opinions about him kind of overrule any kind of constructive dialogue you can have about the merits of his writing

richard wright was never really on that level but was kind of doing the same thing.

i have been assigned toni morrison more times than probably any other author except for shakespeare in my lifetime of education. she's not dead and i genuinely don't think she's gonna hold up to historical scrutiny as well as people think she will. beloved is not that good.

if we were including poets, hughes would obviously be on the list.
>>
>>36508276
If not the greatest ten, definitely top 25 all of them

I don't personally disagree with the list, but that's because I can't think of any other writers who I believe top these, and because any modern writers who I might think top them haven't yet stood the test of time to see whether or not I like them just because I live in this current generation.
>>
>>36509448
Brian you fucking normalfag, get the fuck out!
>>
>>36509600
Potency certainly, efficiency arguably. Every word has its purpose, but characters might go on reiterating a single idea for several lines.

>>36509628
>So other people weren't doing that?
No one else has ever done it. At least, not on the level of the Bard.
>>
whats so fuckin great about shakespeare?
>>
>>36509946
Nothing. He's just super over rated
>>
>>36509946
i'm not surprised you can't read a bunch of centuries-old plays but i'm sort of surprised you can't read the fucking thread
>>
>>36510034
I read macbeth and hamlet, they were okay
>>
>>36509946
How much influence he's had on literature, writing, theatre, and the English language in total. Say what you want about the quality of his work, but many artists have since took inspiration from and influence from Sir William.

It's a pretty similar case to Da Vinci and works like The Mona Lisa. Like it or not, they've played a huge in role in art that are still felt today.
>>
>>36510034

I guess this shows that a work is only as great as the measure of understanding of the context it was written in.
Reading Shakespeare while knowing the whole continuum of the development of Western literature and his place therein is remarkably different to picking up one of those plays blind, and the experience will be radically different.
So where is the value found, ultimately? Without or within?
>>
>>36509835
Really, in all of recorded human history, I don't think anyone comes close to Shakespeare
>>
>>36510150
that doesnt mean he was a good writer, it just means he was an important one
>>
>>36510162
>the whole continuum of the development of Western literature and his place therein
>So where is the value found, ultimately? Without or within?

tfw to intelligent
>>
>tfw lost interest in books around middle school
I wish I didn't evolve into a fucking brainlet I really do
>>
>>36510208
You generally need to be among the best in your field in order to be important. That importance is something you have to earn.

And yes he was a good writer. How good is debatable. But was good enough to make name for himself that lasts even to this day.
>>
>>36508276
Replace Tolkien with Herbert and Orwell with Vonnegut
>>
>>36510208
>that just means he was important, not good
What kind of backwards ass logic is that?
>>
>>36510278
>You generally need to be among the best in your field in order to be important
You really don't. You just need to be the most popular.
>>
>>36508276
>no robertson

who woke enough here?
>>
>no Kakfa

Shit list.
>>
If I want to get on this list, what do I need to do?
>>
>he reads fiction
What a pleb
>>
>>36510338
Popularity does not last 500 years. If Shakespeare was merely popular in his time, his works would be forgotten, a museum piece at best. Instead, they endure because they speak to us even to this day.
>>
>>36510303
trump is an important leader
trump is not a good leader
>>
>>36510338
>You just need to be the most popular.
Where you have to be really good at your field in order to achieve that popularity.
>>
>Poe
>Orwell
Nah. Needs more Milton, Melville, Joyce and DFW
>>
>>36510452
>not a good leader
Hillary the woman is a better leader you're totally right, what was america thinking?
>>
>>36510452
You need to actually make achievements in order to achieve that importance (and Trump will likely go down as among the least important and influential of leaders). But now you're comparing potential corruption and totalitarianism to some bloke's work of art.
>>
>>36510481
>>36510485
>>36510452

this is a great example of how a decent thread gets completely ruined by retarded /pol/ arguments
>>
>>36510452
Trump made this name by actually accomplishing an astonishing number of things. The guy today is a far cry from that, but he actually managed to earn his spot in the public eye in the first place. Even Hitler, despite war crimes, was incredibly skilled at his job.
>>
>>36509714
Don't forget Mishima, Kawabata, Dazai and Oe.
>>
>>36508276
Put dusty above tolstoy
>>
>>36508276
Can't narrow down the entire field of literature to who is simply the best at everything. No writer gets absolutely everything right, and you can't really say that one element of writing is better/more important than another. Tolkien is hands down the best author at creating setting, but his works are elsewise pretty shallow.
>>
>>36510182
Given the enormity of the scope we're talking about here, I have to express *some* amount of skepticism, but I can't think of anyone else who deserves it more than him

I mean, who else's work could captivate audiences for centuries, change an entire language, and still feel relevant to this very day.

Shakespeare is the author on this list who, I think, will be the most relevant a thousand years from now. I believe the English language will still exist (altered in some form, perhaps, but still recognizably English) well into the time that man colonizes the stars, and that his works will be widely read, recognizable, and still relevant to that very day as well.

And even if, for some reason they aren't, then his contributions to the English language will most certainly stay

The man is immortal
>>
>>36510562
What about my nigga Homer?
>>
>>36509040
>>36509185

brainlets who want to read borges should check out garden of forking paths

http://www.units.miamioh.edu/technologyandhumanities/borges.pdf

borges was all about the short story so this one won't take too long and you can go right back to your anime when you're done
>>
>>36510589
>seven whole pages

jesus
>>
>>36508533
I hate the british but must admit, they rule literature. Other than that, fuck you guys and make some reparations for your degenerate colonies and imperialism. American lit shouldn't even be considered part of world canon, there's african ex-colonies that have only learned English in the last 100 years that produce better literature e.g. carribean lit
>>
>>36508324
I'm inclined to agree with you, but I've read a few of these authors (not many) and 1984 is the only book that has ever given me nightmares. Weird out of context nightmares that were kind of like half life 2 giant alien slugs controlling the ministry of love but still.. That kind of says something to me about the good quality of his writing.

But no, he's by no means perfect. Dostoevsky is much more compelling.

I think Dickens is actually pretty boring too.
>>
>>36510589
I like the Aleph the most

But when reading through Ficciones I couldn't help but think most of it was going over my head. I had no trouble reading the stories on a surface level as well as understand some of the more obvious philosophical themes in them, but I can't help but think I missed some deeper, more meta shit.

Is Borges literally 2deep4me?
>>
>>36510717
>I think Dickens is actually pretty boring too.
How can you not appreciate some of the gritty imagery of lower class London and the desperation and existential loneliness that children experience. I think he was the first to actually capture the horror of childhood that nobody talks about. Being a kid is fucking existential at times, reality is terrifying desu, and that's without being a orphan in industrial europe. He's seminal desu.
>>
>>36510698
>the British rule literature
Just like everything else, not anymore. Besides Melville alone is better than 98.9% of British authors by a considerable margin
>>
>>36510589
>the author of an atrocious undertaking ought to imagine that he has already accomplished it, ought to impose upon himself a future as irrevocable as the past

some good shit
>>
>>36510760
you might be right. I've not read Oliver Twist. Just a tale of two cities. I dunno man. Call me stupid but it was just.. Really long.
>>
>>36510745
there's no shame in having to pause and look stuff up to figure out wtf is going on

not all borges translations are made equal either

the proper experience to have with any piece of literature is whatever experience you have with it.
>>
Tolkien, Poe, and Orwell probably don't belong there. Should be replaced by Joyce, Melville, and Virgil.

Dante and Cervantes should be in spots two and three.
>>
What do you guys think of Aleister Crowley as a writer?
>>
>>36510582
Oh, no doubt Homer will be relevant throughout the ages as well, but what I said was was that Shakespeare will be the
>most
relevant.

This is of course hinging on English's survival as a language throughout the spacefaring age. While this is something that Homer doesn't necessarily have to worry about, I see no reason why in the millennia to come that English should fade from some degree of dominance.

Even if some other civilization rises up, I feel like English will retain a certain Latin-like reverence and the old classics will be translated. In this scenario, old Sir Will is likely to still be relevant, just not *as* relevant as he would've been had English remained top dog.
>>
>>36510885
you think Melville is pretty good?

I've wanted to read Moby Dick for a while but I just worry that its reputation is over hyped. But you like it yeah? Maybe I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>36510885
Joyce has never written a good book tho
>>
>>36510951
He wrote three.
>>36510945
Moby Dick is quite impressive, but I might be overrating him because I'm American.
>>
>>36510850

Try Hard Times. It's shorter than his average works, the conflicts and character relationships are established quite crisply, and the pace moves along nicely. It's got more of a punchy message to it.
>>
>>36508751
this goy gets it originally
>>
Bob Dylan is in top ten for sure.
>>
>>36511161
As in The Bob Dylan?

How isn't he on this list...
>>
>poe
>orwell
>tolkien
>dickens
no, they're talentless hacks.
>>
>>36510451
>Popularity does not last 500 years.
It can easily last 500 years, the 100 year mark is the only hard part, after that fame from popularity can last literally forever.
>>
>>36510455
>Who is Picasso the fraud
>>
>>36508276
>old shit
>ok
>not very good
>old shit
>alright
>ok
>interesting
>new shit
>not very good
>shit
>>
>>36508276
WHERE THE FUCK IS JULES VERNE?
>>
>>36512034
>JULES VERNE
Who?
>>
>>36512040
AAAHHHHHHH.
But really Paris in the Twentieth Centruy if fucking terrifying, although definitley one of his weaker works. The man was generations ahead of his time.
>>
>>36512034

What about Lovercraft and Wells then?

Actually, what about those cyberpunk people: Dick and Gibson?
>>
I've never read a single book in my life.

Now, I feel happy.
>>
>>36511807
>>orwell
>>tolkien
>>dickens
Haven't read poe but kill yourself on the other three. You only think Tolkien's crap because of Sienfield effect. He's not just another fantasy writer, he's THE fantasy writer. Every writer you read today who delves in the genre inevitably draws from Tolkien. His influence is impossible to dodge desupai, he's a cornerstone of modern literature.
>>
>>36512523
>>36512523

meh, I prefer Lewis.
Narnia was better than the Hobbit. (haven't read lotr)
>>
>>36508276
>Homer wasn't a writer.
>Why Virgil isn't there ?
>Poe above Dante.
Who's that uneducated ape who made this?
>>
>>36512703

Probably decided by popular ratings.
Also, if Virgil's included, then Ovid better be too.
>>
>>36508276
>no Dumas pere
>no Proust
>no Borges
>no Woolf
>no Virgil
>no Boccacio
>no unknown spirit of evropa what begat Beowulf
>no Arabic oral tradition what begat Arabian Nights
>no Donne
>no Shikibu
>no Guanzhong
>no Xueqin
Where the fuck is this list from? plebreads?
>>36509714
It's weird but nobody thinks of Dumas as being black even though he would be considered that today.

I need to read more modern Arabic works. I loved Season of Migration to the North.
>>36509817
Morrison is fucking awful.
>>36512523
His influence might be impossible to dodge within a specific genre that is widely considered to be trash, but that doesn't mean he's a great writer.
>>
>>36512956
>>no Woolf
you must be a memeing cuck. Great writer but wouldnt break top 20.

>no Donne

the ultimate chad. he deserves a spot. orwell must fuck off.
>>
>>36512742
In a weird way, I think that Homer, Virgil, Ovid, Horace, and Seneca are so bloody influential that they belong on a list apart from the usual 10 bests.
>>
>>36513006
I think that Modernism deserves a spot on the list, even though I hate most of it, and it may as well be Woolf because otherwise it would have to be Hemingway or Joyce and fuck those guys.
>>
>>36508276
>writers
>non fiction only

Anon, stop. Also Orwell doesn't belong there.
>>
File: babyfeels.png (868KB, 785x781px) Image search: [Google]
babyfeels.png
868KB, 785x781px
that list is so anglo-centric, it triggers me as a german
>>
My favorite books are No exit, waiting for godot and death of a salesman
>>
>>36513432
Who the fuck asked you?
>>
>fkin Alighieri below tolkien

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA
>>
Hemingway was a far more prolific and influential writer than Orwell
>>
>>36513429
Germans have a far more robotic brain and the French are far too emotional. Anglo's are inbetween these two extremes. That's why we produce the best literature.
>>
>>36513061
i am the anon who suggested the laundry list of additions earlier

american modernism is my jam and i think joyce/hemingway are unquestionably above woolf w/r/t influence
i think this is partially a quantity argument, like so much of woolf's historical regard comes from room of one's own, while joyce/hemingway have a lot more to offer

i didn't mention woolf and i should have, though, especially if i was expanding "fringe" enough that fitzgerald qualified
dumas also definitely deserved a mention
>>
File: 1487715582083.jpg (9KB, 256x144px) Image search: [Google]
1487715582083.jpg
9KB, 256x144px
>>36508276
Gogol should be on the list.
>>
>>36513815

My word yes.

But so should about 5 Germans at least.
Thomas Mann?
>>
>>36513429
specifically british, too
if you took this list at face value you would be left to conclude that poe is america's greatest writer
>>
>>36513411
>those writers
>Non fiction only
Anon you are drunk go home
>>
>>36508276
>Tolkien Before Dante and Cervantes.
>Dickens in 4rth position
>Poe

What a shitty memelist you've got there.
>>
>no Nabokov

English was his third language and he wrote better than half the people on this list
>>
>>36514260

When I read Dante and Cervantes I immediately thought of Devil May Cry and Soul Calibur.
>>
File: 1492760241779.gif (741KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
1492760241779.gif
741KB, 245x245px
>>36508276
No women, no people of color? Hmmm.
>>
>>36508276
Not at all, it's a good enough list for influencial. English language writers but it's not the best writers and certainly not the best in the world.
>>
Where ma nigga fred durst?
>>
>>36508276
No. Elliot Rodger is missing.
>>
>>36508276
The Russians, Poe, Tolkien and Cervantes are.
The rest are overrated.
Orwell's writings are nothing special but they're valuable for their political nature.
Shakespeare was also great, but Romeo and Juliet is pure garbage.
>>
>>36508276
Where are the black writers tho? That's kinda racist
>>
>>36514987
geo da ray
>>
>>36515319
Pushkin was 1/32 black. He's not on the list, but he's one of Russia's best writers, and he was the descendant of a black person who was given to Peter the great as a gift. Peter freed him and made him a noble.
>>
>>36508276
Cask of Amontillado is a pretty fun book, but I wouldn't say Poe is really one of the greatest writers.
>>
>>36515319
Shakespeare was black. Didn't you know that?

Louis Theroux learned all about it from some black panthers, or whoever the fuck they were.
>>
>>36510698
This list only applies to the english speaking world desu
>>
>>36515433

So why are there two Russians, a Spaniard, an Italian and a Greek there?
>>
>>36515319
blacks:writing::whites:music

Most of Africa didn't have a god damn written language until the 20th century. Meanwhile, white people made the shittiest music until black people taught them what's up.
>>
>>36515463
>shittiest music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F5k70xwGSk
LITERALLY USING CANNONS
>>
File: thats mean.jpg (27KB, 280x278px) Image search: [Google]
thats mean.jpg
27KB, 280x278px
>>36515490
>slavs
>white
do not insult my people good sir
>>
>>36515511
I meant no disrespect Russia bro.
>>
>>36515490

Meme music. Including flashy, fancy shit like cannons in the score doesn't make the music better.
Beethoven would have found a way to achieve a similar effect without actual cannons.
>>
>>36515463
>black """music"""
>good
Jazz, for example, is absolute shit. People only pretend to like it because it was hip and cool to like it.
And the best rapper was a white guy. And he didn't even go full thug lyfe, he just did it for fun and most of his songs were comedic.
>>
>>36508276
If it's not restricted to english, would put Camoes in there as well, dude wrote some next level shit.
>>
>>36515511
Ur ok in my book <3
t. Chink
>>
>>36515577

>Jazz, for example, is absolute shit.

Glenn Gould would disagree with you there, and I think he knew a thing or two about music. And he absolutely detested the popular mode.

>>36515602
It's actually spelt Camus. I haven't read his "Stranger", which is apparently quite good, but "the myth of Sisyphus" didn't leave much of an impression. Lots of logical leaps.
>>
>>36515577
How's grade 10 treating you
>>
>>36515637
I didn't meant Albert Camus, but Luis de Camoes (can't use tilde here). Portuguese poet from the XVI, wrote "The Lusiads"
>>
>>36515637
>he knew a thing or two about music
And? His pretentious superior understanding of music is entirely irrelevant when something sounds shit.

>>36515651
>grade 10
So jazz is for grown ups, eh? Proving my "people only like it because it's hip" argument. You think it's grown up and cool. It's still shit.
>>
>>36515106
At least half didn't even speak English you phoney.
>>
>>36515699

Will check it out, thanks.

>>36515722
>And? His pretentious superior understanding of music is entirely irrelevant when something sounds shit.

It's irrelevant to how it sounds, but it's relevant to debunking the idea that the only reason people liked it was because it was fashionable.
>>
>>36508276
>No Hemingway or Asimov
Still a pretty good list desu. Normies can't understand my man fyodor
>>
>>36508276
>a bunch of old white guys

Ummmm, I don't think so sweetie ;)
>>
>>36508276
>no William Faulkner
>no Charles Bukowski
>no Hunter S. Thompson
>no Flannery O'Connor

shit list
>>
>>36516377
Bukowski? Really?
>>
>>36508276
>ask english-speaking people who are the best writers
>mostly get famous english-speaking writers

wow, what a surprise
>>
>No Keats
>No Milton
>No Bryon
>No Donne

And that's only English writers. Pretty shit list. Dostoevski, Dickens, Orwell, and Tolkien should be taken off automatically and honestly so should Homer.

>>36508973
>Brecht, Hemingway, Vonnegut, Asiimov, Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, and Marquez

Should really read more literature if you consider these individuals to be listed among the greatest authors of all time.
>>
>>36516441
5/10 on that list did not write in English.
>>
>>36508973
>>36508481
Poe is great, he and Whitman deserve to be in the top 10.
>>
>>36516469
And half write in english, they are still overrepresented. If I had to guess, these guys just happen to be the authors that are the most commonly studied in english-speaking schools.
Ask russians or french people and you'll get a very different list.
>>
File: 1490887223844.png (614KB, 817x939px) Image search: [Google]
1490887223844.png
614KB, 817x939px
>>36508276
Where did you get that list from?
>>
I keep seeing people (here and IRL) getting so hyped over Hemingway but I honestly don't see what's so great about him (besides his bio)
Am I missing something here or is everyone just memeing?
>>
>>36516817
>half write in english
Just because their work was translated into english, doesn't mean it was written in english.
>>
>>36517424
I meant half of the authors on the list originally wrote in english, not half of the non-english speaking authors
>>
>>36511995
You're a fucking fool
>>
>No Kafka
>>
>>36508276
I've read works of all of those (including every work of Orwell I could find including all the short pieces) except the non-English ones and I unironically enjoy fanfic/web novels better.
>>
>>36509148
I watched Hamlet 1996, which is an unabridged version, and it was still boring (great sets and costumes though).
>>
>>36510945
I thought Moby Dick would be boring, but I easily read the whole thing. It gives you that "reading Wikipedia" or "reading TVtropes" feeling.
>>
File: 1466408447357.jpg (247KB, 1600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1466408447357.jpg
247KB, 1600x600px
>>36509148
>>36509178
>unable to understand and enjoy the poetry in Shakespeare's plays

The sure sign of a pleb desu
>>
>>36508276
Tolkien and Dante are good. The rest is pretty boring.
>>
>>36512034
I read the William Butcher translation of Journey to the Center of the Earth, mostly because Back to the Future 3 hyped Verne, but it was shit. Possibly the worst case of an idiot plot I've read. It's full of forced drama caused by characters being morons. Also the science stuff is mostly incorrect.

Watch Nadia the Secret of Blue Water instead, it's basically Verne fanfic, and much superior (except for the island/Africa filler episodes which you should skip).
>>
>>36508276
>Melville not there
proof that Moby Dick sucked
>>
>>36512645
>better than the Hobbit. (haven't read lotr)
The Hobbit is a children's book. The only reason people even remember it is because of LotR. I liked it as a kid but nobody seriously thinks it's a great work.
>>
>>36508276
>dostoevsky even on the list
The trash awaits.
>>
>>36508276
>listed Dostoevsky
>doesn't list Brothers Karamazov
Nigga what the hell
>>
>>36508719

Becoming a successful writer is like winning the lottery, don't worry anon, there is no hope.
>>
>>36513948
No idea.

I think Dead Souls is the best Russian tale ever.

Even part 2 is hilarious.

>a history of generals, sir
>>
>>36508276
> no H.P Lovecraft
>>
>>36508276
Dante should be higher up for sure
>>
>>36519536
He's a shit writer, he just had one great idea when he invented the cosmic horror genre:

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
>>
>>36520588
I'm just based I guess
>>
File: 24244112411.jpg (29KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
24244112411.jpg
29KB, 480x640px
>>36508276
>no Elliot Rodger
disgusting list
>>
>no ibsen
>>
>>36512199
As much as I love Lovecraft, oops, he's basically a cosmic Poe so it makes more sense to have Poe on the list because of how influential he is. Colour Out of Space is maybe my favorite short story ever.
>>36518524
Read Mysterious Island.
>>
>>36508276
>no Martin Amis

Aside from Shakespeare the list is garbage.
>>
dostoevsky is better than tolstoy tbqh
>>
File: 1449189494956.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1449189494956.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>36508276
not a single french writer on the list
Thread posts: 207
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.