[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In this thread I will narrate the life of Christopher McCandless

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 7

File: mccandless39.jpg (136KB, 790x513px) Image search: [Google]
mccandless39.jpg
136KB, 790x513px
In this thread I will narrate the life of Christopher McCandless from his birth until his death at the age of 24. I intend to cover:

>his childhood
>his relationship with his family
>his influences and ideology
>his experiences travelling the United States
>his journey to Alaska and experience in the wilderness

If this thread interests you please bump to keep it alive.
>>
>>36444821
Please, don't waste your time
>>
what were his views on the vapid rat race that is society
>>
File: mccandless28.jpg (29KB, 294x429px) Image search: [Google]
mccandless28.jpg
29KB, 294x429px
On McCandless's academic ability as a child

>"In the third grade, after receiving a high score on a standardized achievement test, Chris was placed in an accelerated program for gifted students. "He wasn't happy about it," Billie remembers, "because it meant he had to do extra schoolwork. So he spent a week trying to get himself out of the program. This little boy attempted to convince the teacher, the principal-anybody who would listen-that the test results were in error, that he really didn't belong there. We learned about it at the first PTA meeting. His teacher pulled us aside and told us that 'Chris marches to a different drummer.' She just shook her head.""

On McCandless's personality as a child

>""Even when we were little," says Carine, who was born three years after Chris, "he was very to himself. He wasn't antisocial- he always had friends, and everybody liked him-but he could go off and entertain himself for hours. He didn't seem to need toys or friends. He could be alone without being lonely.""

On McCandless's pet dog

>"When Chris was twelve, Walt and Billie bought Carine a puppy, a Shetland sheepdog named Buckley, and Chris fell into the habit of taking the pet with him on his daily training runs. "Buckley was supposedly my dog," says Carine, "but he and Chris became inseparable. Buck was fast, and he'd always beat Chris home when they went running. I remember Chris was so excited the first time he made it home before Buckley. He went tearing all over the house yelling 'I beat Buck! I beat Buck!'""

856KB, 350x260px
Lemme help you, OP...

>spend life as a shitty self absorbed "free spirit"
>disown society and live alone in the wild cause you think they are a bunch of cucks
>realize you are a moron and would have actually been happier with friends
>die cause you have no survival skills
>>
File: mccandless31.jpg (26KB, 270x437px) Image search: [Google]
mccandless31.jpg
26KB, 270x437px
On McCandless's relationship with his grandfather

>"Loren, not surprisingly, was charmed by Chris. And Chris adored his grandfather. The old man's backwoods savvy, his affinity for the wilderness, left a deep impression on the boy. [...] When Chris was eight, Walt took him on his first overnight backpacking trip, a three-day hike in the Shenandoah to climb Old Rag. They made the summit, and Chris carried his own pack the whole way. Hiking up the mountain became a [...] tradition; they climbed Old Rag almost every year thereafter"

On McCandless enjoying camping with his sister as a child

>"Chris seemed to be most comfortable outdoors, and the farther away from the typical surroundings and pace of our everyday lived the better. [...] in our tent, Chris and I would curl up in our hunter-green and navy-blue sleeping bags, the soft linings covered with pictures of mallard ducks. On particularly cold nights we'd zip them together, and Chris would whisper, "Carine! Shh. Listen... I'm pretty sure there's an alien outside our tent." Depending on my mood, and on the level of noise in the forest, I would either panic or laugh."

On McCandless's relationship with his sister

>"They'd been best friends from an early age, spending hours together building forts out of cushions and blankets in their Annandale living room. "He was always really nice to me," Carine says, "and extremely protective. He'd hold my hand when we walked down the street. When he was in junior high and I was still in grade school, he got out earlier than me, but he'd hang out at his friend Brian Paskowitz's house so we could walk home together." "

_________
>>
File: dylann-roof-mugshot.jpg (59KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dylann-roof-mugshot.jpg
59KB, 800x1000px
>>36444821
maximum autism
OP and McCandless
>>
Wait a minute, you already did that a year ago.
But anyway, fuck off other anons that tell him to shut up, we do not have that kind of (((original))) content everyday
>>
>>36444991
OP you are pretty based, I saw your thread on Christopher Knight yesterday
can I request someone for you yo do next?
>>
File: mccandless8.jpg (31KB, 564x423px) Image search: [Google]
mccandless8.jpg
31KB, 564x423px
>>36445302
OP here. I have never posted a thread about Christopher McCandless.

On McCandless's lifestyle during childhood

>"McCandles had been raised in the comfortable upper-middle class environs of Annandale, Virginia. His father, Walt, is an eminent aerospace engineer who designed advanced radar systems"

On McCandless's parents' relationship

>"On teh days we did not pick up on signals of slamming doors and elevated voices fast enough, Chris and I were damned to bear the brunt of our parents' latest battle. Their dispute would begin with a barrage of insults, then escalate to Dad chasing Mom up the stairs and throwing her around until she eventually landed on the vintage walnut-stained bed set in the guest room, where it appeared he planned to choke her to death. [...] "I'm sorry, kids," Mom would shriek towards Dad as he walked away, "but when I got pregnant with Chris, I got stuck with your father!" I remember Chris crying desperately, in anguish over being born, apologizing for causing such trouble."

On McCandless's father beating his children

>"Our parents' hatred of one another needed an additional outlet as their brawl dissipated. [...] We would [...] be instructed to choose the weapon of our punishment. [...] Hand in hand, we looked through his assortment of belts, trying to remember which ones hurt the least, which buckles lacked sharp edges. [...] I will never forget craning my beck in search of leniency, only to see the look of sadistic pleasure that lit up my father's eyes and his terrifying smile - like an addict in the climax of his high. Mom looked on, I imagined fearful to intervene yet also with a certain satisfaction [...] We were getting what we deserved. We had ruined her life with the weight of our existence, trapping her in this hell."

feelin' sexy should be enough for the robot
>>
>>36445555
OP you're doing God's work. I've seen you're threads all over 4chan. Hitler, Goebbels, Kaczynski, McVeigh, and others, now McCandless. I doubt many anons contribute more than you do these days.
>>
File: mccandless11.png (188KB, 474x343px) Image search: [Google]
mccandless11.png
188KB, 474x343px
On McCandless's view of running

>"McCandless viewed running as an intensely spiritual exercise, verging on religion. "Chris would use the spiritual aspect to try to motivate us," recalls Eric Hathaway, another friend on the team. "He'd tell us to think about all the evil in the world, all the hatred, and imagine ourselves running against the forces of darkness, the evil wall that was trying to keep us from running our best. He believed doing well was all mental, a simple matter of harnessing whatever energy was available. As impressionable high school kids, we were blown away by that kind of talk." "

On McCandless's relationships with the homeless as a teenager

>"On weekends, when his high school pals were attending "keg-gers" and trying to sneak into Georgetown bars, McCandless would wander the seedier quarters of Washington, chatting with prostitutes and homeless people, buying them meals, earnestly suggesting ways they might improve their lives. "Chris didn't understand how people could possibly be allowed to go hungry, especially in this country," says Billie. "He would rave about that kind of thing for hours." On one occasion Chris picked up a homeless man from the streets of B.C., brought him home to leafy, affluent Annandale, and secretly set the guy up in the Airstream trailer his parents parked beside the garage. Walt and Billie never knew they were hosting a vagrant."

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.