[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were LEGO sets better back in the late 90s? Grew up with the

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (47KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 600x600px
Were LEGO sets better back in the late 90s? Grew up with the early 2000 sets and always wanted the older ones as a kid.
>>
>>36402372
Yes, they better. Back in the day there were almost literally only squares, but later they started making more complex shapes to the point where they basically started injection molding whole figures and objects. LEGO is pretty much cancer these days. Most of it anyways.
>>
>>36402372
Lego has gotten progressively more shit overtime.

It started doing more and more franchises, to where now it's like 90% franchises. As well, now they just create pieces for whatever they feel like, so it used to have to be more creative when they would use normal pieces to try and make a drill or interesting window or something. Now though, they just create a brand new piece for that set whenever they want or feel like it. It's a problem because you end up with all these weird pieces from specific sets, that you can never use otherwise because they're too specified.

So yes, those two in conjunction, have rendered Lego shit nowadays. When you see the prices as well, there's really no reason to ever buy or have anything to do with modern Lego. Instead of getting some stupid $200 dollar Star Wars set that's actually pretty small and few pieces, and has weird pieces made for that set, just go on eBay and buy $200 worth of old Lego in bulk from people.
>>
Lego is really bad now. Everything is based off whatever the new popular normie movie is. Late '90s / early '00s were very good.
>>
File: 001.jpg (106KB, 815x557px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
106KB, 815x557px
>>36402524
This, although i don't mind franchises, the bricks themselves are overdesigned.
There was a sweet spot where models weren't overly simplistic but just right, leaving something to the imagination. Now there's a brick for every fucking thing.
>>
Yes.

There was a great simplicity to lego back then. You can argue that having pieces with greater detail makes them more fun toys but it restricts the core principle of lego: creativity. You are more restrained in how you can use a very specific piece which may not even fit with most lego than you are with a simple 4x2x1 block. If the purpose was to have a detailed toy then why use lego at all?
>>
>>36402943
Definitely this, the 90s were the golden age of Lego. Even the franchise sets (I think it was only Star Wars at that time) weren't too out there with made up pieces.
>>
>used to subscribe to Lego Magazine as a kid in the mid-90's
>every second issue was a catalogue
>8 year old me still thought it was cool as hell
Is there some sort of archive of old scans of it out there?
>>
>>36402974
lego has never been better for creative building. i don't think you have any idea what you're talking about and are just rationalizing why everything seemed better when you were 11
>>
>>36403038
Oh man I loved the LEGO catalogues.
>>
File: Super Robot.jpg (260KB, 1034x705px) Image search: [Google]
Super Robot.jpg
260KB, 1034x705px
>>36403090
>lego has never been better for creative building
This. We have pieces nowadays that I could have only dreamed about as a kid.
>>
>>36402943
True that, friendo. The old sets were way more unique.
>>
I sure as hell still want these
aight time for bed
>>
>>36402943
god damn it this warmed my heart a lot
i miss those days
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.