[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do people who don't believe in God and think there's

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 13

File: 1463400852086.jpg (108KB, 540x562px) Image search: [Google]
1463400852086.jpg
108KB, 540x562px
How do people who don't believe in God and think there's no afterlife live?
They must think that everything they do is meaningless since it will all stop matter once they die.
That sort of lifestyle cannot be healthy.
>>
I dont know, someone who got deeper into Nietzsches work? I only know some general stuff about him and he seems to be the most important guy when it comes to aware nihilism (in comparison to pure hedonism or sth similar).
>>
idk about others, but i just live. all there is to it. you recognize that this is all you have and all you'll ever have and just roll with it.
>>
>>36338532
You don't have to be a slave to your delusional to live a happy life. Even though we recognize that futility, we still live in a way that makes us comfortable. Only that we're mature enough to accept life is a crazy blip on the timeline of the universe.
>>
>>36338577

Nietzsche was not a nihilist.
>>
It's not a matter about being healthy it's a matter of critical thinking. Spend like 5 minutes actually thinking about it and afterlife is just a bad meme that makes no sense.
>>
It motivates me not to be a degenerate fuckface seeing as this is my only life and it's all I'll ever have
>>
>>36338604
>>36338613
>>36338633
So, why do you do stuff then?
Whats the motivation if you dont think theres something beyond the material world and your limited lifespan in it?
>>
>>36338532
Life is temporary, and when you fully understand this you can approach your life with clear direction.

I will die someday and until then I will live.
>>
File: 1481057919643.jpg (26KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1481057919643.jpg
26KB, 480x480px
>>36338532
Not really I'm an atheist and still have things that matter. I accept that my life is inherently meaningless but that doesn't stop me from creating meaning for myself i.e. setting goals of things I want to achieve. Ultimately I know that I'm just wasting time until my inevitable demise which will eraseeverything I ever did but the fact that against incredible odds I ever got to experience something as sublime as the universe is enough.
>>
>>36338577
Read "and thus spoke zarathustra" it's a beautiful book, although you won't understand all of it, there's much you can take away from it.

(I'm probably not the right guy to talk about nietzsches work though, as when I read his works and zarathustra I got psychotic, and turned from an atheist into a hyperreligious madman for a few months, and I'm still pretty much convinced that much of what I've experienced during psychosis is grounded in a divine reality, but that's just me..)
>>
>>36338672
my motivation is that this is the one (1) life i get and might as well do whatever the fuck i want to do with it. even if there is an afterlife (can't prove it and can't disprove it) it really doesn't appeal to me, cause what the fuck am i supposed to do there? hang out with god, (who's probably a dick, since he's responsible for this mess), hang out with other dead ppl, just be happy and stroke my dick for an eternity?
>>36338633 is right, afterlife is just a meme. but idc if you believe it. whatever helps ppl get through the day, i guess.
(sorry for the edge, guys)
>>
>>36338633
Why doesn't the afterlife make sense?

We're limited to the perception and abilities of our bodies.
We don't know what happens to our spirits once our bodies die.
>>
>>36338779
We don't know what happens to our souls after death. Maybe it gets put into another body. Maybe we go to a realm where only spirits exist.
>>
>>36338532
What is this image about?
>>
>>36338769
Putting the whole afterlife thing aside, why do you care about 1 one life you got if it doesnt matter?
Its like playing a game of Monopoly but with an unlimited number of streets and players and without a winner. Why would I play it?
>>
>>36338532
If you believe in God your wordly existence doesn't matter once you die either, since you going to have a new eternal life that is much better than the old one anyway (that is, as long as you already made your life shittier by conforming to morality and a bunch of stupid made-up rules)- this is why Nietzsche called christians nihilists.

To answer you question, though, you don't have to be a nihilist to not believe in gods. There's plenty of reason to live to be found in the world, and, if you can't find one, you can just create your own reason that is better than all others! I live to improve myself and become stronger than normies.

People haven't needed religion at all since the Enlightenment and the development of science, as evidenced by mos philosophy made in the last 200 or so years.
>>
>>36338814
plato's cave, an allegory about enlightenment, and the restrictions of reality.
>>
>>36338532
I just don't really dwell on that stuff too much. After all, when I'm dead I won't exactly be able to feel remorse.

Frankly I don't know anyone even wants to believe in the afterlife. Take Christians for instance: either you're burning in a pit of hell or singing and sitting on clouds for eternity. They both sound like torture
>>
>>36338816
cause it's the only game in the room. you can walk out if you want, tho. there's nothing wrong with that imo.
>>
File: 1464426136138.png (107KB, 253x220px) Image search: [Google]
1464426136138.png
107KB, 253x220px
Reading this thread reminded me of back when I was an edgy atheist.
"There is no soul!"
"There is nothing after death!"
"This life is the only I have!"

embarrassing memories desu
>>
>>36338900
But thats not a popular opinion, no matter if you are in a religious or a non-religious society. But people cant go argue against it.
>>
>>36338532
eh

i think if god/afterlife was true i'd be so unhappy i'd lose my mind

i'd rather not be here as a human being or there as whatever living thing, so i take some comfort in disappearing and becoming nothing again
>>
>>36338914
if finding faith helped you motivate yourself and improved your life, it's all good. i used to be a turboedgelord (downgraded to a regular one now) and hated all religion no matter what. that was pretty retarded and close-minded in retrospect.
>>
>>36338972
Why does the idea of a God that loves you scare you?
>>
>>36338939
yeah, that's true. ppl always get weirded out when i tell them this. i don't expect to convert anyone, though. it's just how i deal with things. that is what was asked in the OP, correct?
>>
>>36339042
If god is real how do you know he loves you?

What if he's the kim jong un of the universe?
>>
File: pope.jpg (102KB, 678x768px) Image search: [Google]
pope.jpg
102KB, 678x768px
>>36339122
>posting that kind of low level stuff here
are you twelve?
>>
>>36339042
His love isn't exactly unconditional. You have to jump through retarded hoops to get it
>no tattoos
>don't masturbate
>give away 10% of your income to the church
>believe in a ridiculously implausible and historically inaccurate anthology
It's like God WANTS you to go to Hell.
>>
>>36339042
because love is part of the human experience and humans are deeply flawed/imperfect by design and if there's any semblance of the human brain in an eternity it would be considered pollution to me, a hideous seed that would taint anything and everything

i didn't say a god that loves me scares me, and i don't think god's love is the kind of love worth living for, I don't think any love is worth living for, i'm not even sure what "love" is supposed to be or why I should care about it. I can't pretend all the other horrible stuff going on isn't happening and sit back and excuse it, all explanations people have given for the suffering don't suffice, and I won't sweep the fear tactics under the rug, it all doesn't seem like the kind of thing I'd call love, but terrifying
>>
>>36338914
I never got why this is considered to be edgy.

If I think there is no god, soul or something like that it just an opinion.

Just because it is not a positive way to see life?
>>
>>36339718
It's edgy because you don't know for sure that there isn't a spirit but you claim it as absolute truth.
>>
>>36339810
So by that logic, those who don't know for sure there is a spirit/afterlife/God but claim there is as absolute truth are equally edgy?
So in other words virtually 6 billion people are edgy?
>>
File: received_10212547389497236.jpg (61KB, 960x606px) Image search: [Google]
received_10212547389497236.jpg
61KB, 960x606px
>>36338532
Hedonism nihilistic life
Well atleast you're free to do whatever the fuck you want
>>
File: 1491982639466.jpg (202KB, 1200x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1491982639466.jpg
202KB, 1200x1080px
>>36338532
Nothing matters even before you die. Stop believing spooks. I found myself being a voluntary hedonist because it's just better :)
>>
>>36338532
You don't need to believe in God to live anymore than your cat does. Most people are not driven by anything spiritual, they're just basic animals with relatively immediate desires and impulses.
>>
File: 1491842782417.jpg (211KB, 600x530px) Image search: [Google]
1491842782417.jpg
211KB, 600x530px
>>36339810
The same goes for anyone who believes in god.
But I dont try to indoctrinate kids or want money just for claiming to be the absolute truth.
If there is a god or anything like a god thats okay. But religions are useless. There are thousands.
I cannot deny that there is no god. But what if you are praying for the wrong one?
What makes you certain that your god is the right one?
If only one religion is right, there are thousands of liars that just made the religion up to gain something from that.

I usually dont talk about this stuff, but your argument is just stupid.
>>
>>36338633
>being this retarded
Pseudos please leave
>>
>>36338532
I live quite happily.
My purpose in life is to create a better future for my family. Even if I don't ever have my own son, because I'm an autistic loser, I have a nephew who is respectful and kind and I want him to live in a better world with even pettier non-problems than my own.
>>
>>36338532
We're all just 25 words in the obituary section, and everyday is just the passing of time.
>>
How do people who believe in God and think there's an eternel afterlife live?
They must think that everything they do is meaningless since it will all stop matter once they die.
>>
>>36339935
>The same goes for anyone who believes in god.
To believe in God you need to have Faith.
People who don't have Faith say there is no God for everyone, they say no God exists.
People who have Faith say there is a God but only people who have Faith can experience Him.
>But I dont try to indoctrinate kids or want money just for claiming to be the absolute truth.
Except you do. All the shit that gets taught at school. Evolution gets taught as if it's proven truth when it's just a theory. Liberal sciences. All sorts of destructive shit.
>If there is a god or anything like a god thats okay. But religions are useless. There are thousands.
Religions keep people together. How can you say they are useless? Look up the Roman Empire. Religion was at the basis of how it became to be the most powerful empire of its time and give birth to the most advanced civilization on Earth.
>I cannot deny that there is no god. But what if you are praying for the wrong one?
>What makes you certain that your god is the right one?
I have Faith.
If you need "proof", our God has blessed us with knowledge and wealth. Everywhere Christianity has reached has become an objectively better place for the people who inhabit there.
>>
>>36339157
I'm afraid you have a misunderstanding of the Christian religion.
>>
Is life so boring to you that living it wouldn't be worth it without an afterlife? Are you saying you'd just kill yourself? Even if an afterlife was real it's not like you have to do anything that special to get in. Simply live without sin.
>>
>>36340075
Our lives here on Earth are just temporary, the real life begins after death of our bodies.
>>
>>36339933
Humans are the only living things on earth capable of thinking conceptually and abstractly. So you can't compare humans to cats
>>
>>36340115
That's just delusional. Oregano.
>>
>>36340075
Personally, I try to do what God wants me to do. My best bet for what God wants me to do is what Jesus tells all humans to do. That doesn't seem very meaningless to me
>>
>>36340115
Yeah, so the belief in a afterlife renders the 'first life' completely meaningless. If you believe that this life is the only shot you get then it makes it way more meaningful.
>>
>>36338816
It's like asking why people play Minecraft for thousands of hours. Technically it's an incredibly easy game. All you have to do to survive is make some food and not get killed by creepers but that can be done by making a few torches and a dirt shed at night. The real game is building whatever you want to, and the effort it takes to get the materials to do so. You can play any game this way with your own rules. It's why something like speedrunning is so popular.
>>
>>36340200
If you knew you'd get reincaranted and live a second life would it make your first life meaningelss? Fuck no
>>
>>36340145

>Humans are the only living things on earth capable of thinking conceptually and abstractly.

Nope.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/many-animals-can-think-abstractly/
>>
>>36340115
And what exactly is so special about the afterlife? Does God not test your worthiness in your mortal life to determine what you get? If you believe this life is pointless in comparison even though God graciously granted it to you I can't imagine He would look kindly on that mode of thinking.
>>
>>36340199
If you are a good person just because you fear the punishment of a devine being and thus follow its commands then you are not a genuinely good person.
>>
>>36340240
(((Scientific American)))
>>
>>36340088
>"If you need "proof", our God has blessed us with knowledge and wealth. Everywhere Christianity has reached has become an objectively better place for the people who inhabit there."

Yes I'm sure these people would agree:
>Africans turned into slaves
>Native Americans
>Victims of Crusades

Religion is for spineless cucks that need MUH FAITH to hold it together. They just can't accept there's no "meaning" to life besides procreation. We're just animals with no greater purpose.

No, there's no point in living knowing there's no afterlife, but why should I kill myself instead of just continuing to live?
>>
I'm idealistic and like to think everyone will get the afterlife they wish to recieve be it reincarnation, redoing this life, or fucking around in the afterlife like on a private lucid dream plane or something.

As if you think about it thats only just, considering how unjust it is for people on Earth, in the material plane. And thats only for those with good and not fucked up karma, and no I dont fully believe in both of these things but I don't disbelieve either, theres just no inexcusable solid proof yet.
>>
>>36340240
They may have an intuitive understanding of some things, but there is no complex thought, as that would require language.
>>
>>36340286
>Africans turned into slaves
By other Africans.
Christian Europeans ended slavery. Slavery only goes on today in non-Christian countries.

>Native Americans
Killed each other way more than the European colonizers did. Lived in a fairly primitive society with primitive laws and no concepts of borders.

>Victims of Crusades
The Crusades were a defensive war to defend Christian lands from the muslim invaders.
>>
>>36340240
>.com
And did you even read the article? The animals didn't "have concepts" they were taugh concepts. Recognizing other animals and grouping them isn't comparable to what humans can do.
>>
>>36340229
Yeah, I mean why try so hard and improve yourself? If you fuck up you know you got a second chance.

If you are born into a certain caste, to be a street sweaperfor example believing a religion of reincarnation. You will do your duties all day believing you will get your reward in the next life. You will never make the effort to become something bigger. This is how the clerical class kept the lower parts of society docile in India. There is no permitted social mobility. Absolutely horrible.
>>
>>36340273
Are you joking?
Based on what?
What beginner level philosophy do you follow?
And I never said I did it because I fear punishment.
>>
>>36340331
>The Crusades were a defensive war to defend Christian lands from the muslim invaders.
Kek if you actually believe this.
>>
File: 1491023661229.jpg (87KB, 660x495px) Image search: [Google]
1491023661229.jpg
87KB, 660x495px
>To believe in God you need to have Faith.
>People who don't have Faith say there is no God for everyone, they say no God exists.
>People who have Faith say there is a God but only people who have Faith can experience Him.
Of course you need to have faith to believe in god sherlock.
But the only thing I see is a greedy church that gave people a sense in life to gain profit.
They use the faith of the people to rip them off.

>Except you do. All the shit that gets taught at school. Evolution gets taught as if it's proven truth when it's just a theory. Liberal sciences. All sorts of destructive shit.
I dont live in amerifat. I had both religion and biology in school.
Wich is the best system, give them both and let them decide.
And evolution has been proven to be true.

>Religions keep people together. How can you say they are useless? Look up the Roman Empire. Religion was at the basis of how it became to be the most powerful empire of its time and give birth to the most advanced civilization on.
I think democracy and other inventions by humans made the civilazition better

>If you need "proof", our God has blessed us with knowledge and wealth. Everywhere Christianity has reached has become an objectively better place for the people who inhabit there.
As I said. I think we the humans made it a better place. We did all the work,
>>
>>36340310

Some animals have language.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/20/132650631/new-language-discovered-prairiedogese

>>36340358

>The animals didn't "have concepts" they were taugh concepts.

Humans, too, are taught concepts. Didn't you have to be taught that alligators are closer relatives to eagles than they are to turtles?

>Recognizing other animals and grouping them isn't comparable to what humans can do

It's not exactly the same, but there's no reason you can't COMPARE animals to humans, or animal behaviors to human behavior.

You can compare anything to anything else. Comparison is not necessarily equation.
>>
>>36340393
Kek at me for believing the truth all you want. It won't change the facts.
>>
>>36340384
>What beginner level philosophy do you follow?
>I just do what Jesus tells me to do lol

Topkek
>>
I do things because I like doing them.
>>
>>36340460

What if you want to not like doing something?

Has it never come up?
>>
>>36340449
So you don't know anything about ANY philosophy? That's sad desu
>>
>I need the fantastic promises of bronze age nomad literature to have a meaningful life because I can't accept my mortality

That's pretty sad if you think about it.
>>
>>36338532
I cannot speak for all, but I base my actions and ambitions on the betterment of myself, my progeny's future prospects, and the betterment of humanity in general.

In regards to the afterlife, I personally think nothingness is the most likely outcome, but I am open to being proven wrong when the time comes.

Until then, I focus on my goals while setting aside just enough time to enjoy myself and the company of others.

Doubt in the existence of divinity and afterlife does not necessarily have to be a meaningless and unguided lifestyle, but it is important to have the mental fortitude to bear responsibility for your own actions and to assess the validity of the path you follow.

Religion can be an easier life to follow, but it will only yield its full potential value when you apply those same principles anyway.

I personally frown upon those who would blindly follow a divine book written by man but have deep respect for those who would follow a self-made path in pursuit of what they believe in, regardless of what that belief may be.
>>
>>36340427
>humans, too, are taught concepts
Yeah, but humans initially created concepts. There is no evidence to support the belief that other animals have concepts or think abstractly.
>>
>>36340088
1)People that have Faith say that God is for everyone, so everyone must believe everything the same way
2) You are forcing the teaching of a theory with no empirical proof, differently from evolution
3) That's confusing Faith with rituals that create a sense of identity between different people
4) Apparently every other religion destroyed everything in its path, judging from what you wrote
>>
>>36340539
Do you understand what a concept is? Doesn't sound like you do.
Say you are a chimpanzee and you want to get laid. You'll challenge the dominant male in a fight, because you understand that he is the dominant male and the dominant male gets to sleep with whatever females he want to. So you have a concept of social hierachy.
>>
>>36340486
You mean, having the want to dislike something? I've never had that.
>>
>>36340593
You're adding human concepts to animalistic actions. The monkey doesn't have a concept of social hierarchy. The monkey just knows that the alpha monkey has the girl that the monkey wants. The monkey grew up watching monkeys fight each other in order to have the females they want.
>>
>>36340539
Animals can solve puzzles, puzzles require abstract thinking
>>
>>36340636
>The monkey just knows
Yes. It knows. That is what a concept is.
>>
>>36340636
>The monkey doesn't have a concept of social hierarchy
No, he does, and he's got a pretty good fucking grasp on it.
What you mean to say, I think, instead the monkey doesn't UNDERSTAND the concept of social hierarchy
>>
File: 1488948080004.png (36KB, 1254x815px) Image search: [Google]
1488948080004.png
36KB, 1254x815px
>>36340393
A quick history lesson on crusades
>muslism conquest everything because their pedophile rapist prophet told you so
>siege constantinople in the 7th century, the capital of the eastern roman empire and one of the 5 christian patriarchs
>go away after 4 years
>try again 100 year later
>byzantines get help from bulgarian and french allies
>meanwhile muslims keep conquering and raiding everywhere, even attacking rome at one point
>muslims enslave, kill and rape anyone regardless of sex and age and pillage and desecrate holy burial sites
>they keep threatening Rome itself for centuries
>the pope himself leads an army in battle
>muslims on the iberian peninsula and formerly byzantine territories
>for close to 500 years
>byzantine emperor asks pope for help
>>
>>36340722
>What you mean to say, I think, instead the monkey doesn't UNDERSTAND the concept of social hierarchy
It is the same thing. If the monkey knows his own position and the position of the other monkeys in the hierachy then it has to understand what a hierachy is, and so it understands the concept.
>>
>>36340748
A quick history lesson on Christianity.
>Everyone who doesn't convert is killed.
>>
>>36340788
If by Christianity you mean Islam, yes.
>>
>>36340788
Now this is just shitposting.
>>
>>36340643
How? And elaborate
>>
>>36340671
>what are innate actions
>what is learned behavior
They can use tools too, but that doesn't mean anything
>>
>>36340331
>>36340748
>the Fourth Crusade was a defensive war
>>
>>36338617
Nietzsche is absolutely a nihilist: he thinks that our metaphysical and value systems are all made up.

Still, the foundation of his philosophy (which, as he admits, is as arbitrary as every other foundation) is the life-affirming impulse. Everything that is propedeutic to the individual's existence is good, and this includes lies such as morality and ethics. He explicitly states so in the 3rd treatise of the Geneaology of Morals, the first 5 paragraphs of Beyond Good and Evil and, more in general, in the Twilight of the Idols.

Nietzsche was a nihilist, but his conception did not degenerate into pessimism: the foundations of our existence are purely arbitrary and made up, but it does not really matter, since without them we simply could not live.
In this optic you should be skeptical of every metaphysical idea, while still valuing it for its effects and uses: more in general you should stip associating the concept of "good" with the concept of "true".
>>
>>36340928
>it doesn't mean anything because I say it doesn't mean anything.
You don't really have an argument. A human kid will also have an intuitive understanding of social hierachy, much like a chimpanzee. That the human adult later in life explores the concept deeper and adds to it layers of abstraction does not mean that the human kid or the chimp does not have the concept.
>>
>>36341184
The ability to think abstractly is not found in children below a certain age. So yes, the children wouldn't have concepts
>>
relevant

>The Illogical is Necessary - Among the things which can bring a thinker to distraction is the knowledge that the illogical is necessary to mankind and that from the illogical springs much that is good. The illogical is so imbedded in the passions, in language, in art, in religion and, above all, in everything that imparts value to life that it cannot be taken away without irreparably injuring those beautiful things. Only men of the utmost simplicity can believe that the nature man knows can be changed into a purely logical nature. Yet were there steps affording approach to this goal, how utterly everything would be lost on the way! Even the most rational man needs nature again, from time to time, that is, his illogical fundamental relation to all things
>>
>>36338532
It is better than to lie myself my whole life just to realize how wrong I was in the end, when everything just goes black and I never wake up ever again.
>>
>everytime there is a discussion about god it turns into a christianity shitshow
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>36338532
How do people who believe in god and think there's an afterlife live?
They must think that everything they do is meaningless, since it'll be nothing compared to existing forever in another dimension once they die.
>>
>>36341715
Christianity is the true religion
>>
Someone hasn't read Nietzsche
>>
>believing in the soul
Yall niggas need to read Merleau-Ponty
>>
>>36340145
Being capable of abstract thought doesn't separate us from our base nature automatically. A cat doesn't need to believe in the afterlife to function, he just goes about his business. Humans are much the same way.
>>
>>36340088
>Everywhere Christianity has reached has become an objectively better place for the people who inhabit there
What a vague statement.
>>
>>36342093
Life expectancy more than doubled on average wherever White Christians went.
>>
>>36341832
t. i have faith retard
>>
>>36342272
Medical technology is awesome.
>>
>>36342382
Science cannot exist in a muslim society
>>
>>36342420
You aren't making sense.
>>
>>36342482
*beheads you*

does this make more sense?
>>
>>36342482
The original argument was that european christians were "evil"
>>
>>36342534
he just said that it was a vague statement
inb4 muh quotation marks
>>
>>36342509
Well, there was a time when the Islamic world was a better place to live than Christian Europe
>>
it is kinda amazing how seemingly inanimate minerals can get together at the right spot with the right temperature and it spawns things with conscious thought, where does the mind come from?
>>
>>36342781
feedback loop of the senses with memory is my guess
if you wiped a person's memory clean he would cease to be a person as we understand it at all
>>
>>36338532
I live for future generations.
when a man has a child he realized his purpose in life. He is going to do everything he can for that child in the hopes that the child will be better than him. This only applies to normies who can have children though.
The only thing that keeps me going aside from wanting to plant trees for my brothers my great great grandchildren to have shad is the possibility of a race war and total destruction of the world.
Why not have fun before you die?
>>
>>36339876
Your going to one day realize how retarded you are. When you grow old and realize your entire life was wasted on the pursuit of short term rewards.
True freedom will only come to you if you stop being a degenerate. Until then you are a slave to your desires.
>>
>>36341306
I don't think you even know what you are saying.
>>
>>36340799
>>36340820
So how come Europeans stopped being pagan then? Have you ever heard about Charlemagne, the Teutonic Knights, the Inquisition?
>>
>>36343025
>Until then you are a slave to your desires
But you are a slave to your desire to not be a degenerate. At least the other guy isn't jumping through hoops.
>>
I'm agnostic. I can't believe in God but I'm also afraid of hell. I'm very afraid of death. Nothingness scares the shit out of me. So does hell.
>>
How is your fear of death relevant to your belief?
>>
>>36343346
People only believe in afterlife and god to get through life's cruelty and injustice with a clear mind. That's what I think so in my mind it is very relevant.
>>
>>36343346
meant for >>36343313
orgina
>>
>>36343381
That is irrational. You shouldn't believe something based on your emotions.
>>
>>36343424
Why not? Logic is irrational too, there is literally nothing in the world that points to logic.

not the agnostic you wanted a response from btw
>>
>>36343523
>Logic is irrational too
Logic is by definition what is rational. It is just a synnonym really.
>>
>>36343562
you have to presuppose logic for logic to make sense, otherwise it is just optimism in another form, this and that so such and such follow. Btw I don't believe in hell or heaven or a god. I'm not sure if you're mistaking me for the agnostic because I didn't make any judgement from emotion.
>>
Its not about wanting life to be meaningless or for there to not be an afterlife. I think Christians miss the point a lot when they ask "Why would you want to believe there's no loving god?" Its not about what I want, its about what I think is actually true regardless of whether I like it or not. I look at it like terminal cancer, those that are sick might not want to believe it for good reason, but it doesn't change the fact that it will eventually kill them.
>>
>>36343623
>you have to presuppose logic for logic to make sense
No, you don't. The process of making sense is logic.
>>
>>36343931
but how do you find out logic makes sense without using logic?
>>
>>36343025
hedonism is not pursuing short term rewards. maybe to you. so you made up spooks. haha
>>
>>36343971
Making sense is using logic. It means the same thing.
>>
>>36341832
I find it hard to believe that people on this website actually believe this.

There is no "true religion." Any debate between theism and atheism is automatically a clash between two metaphysical worldview and an argument for or against the supernatural in general. One specific faith doesn't matter.
>>
>>36344013
how old are you? i thought the same thing when i was 18, so maybe you'll come to see my point when you mature a bit and think about it or maybe you're just a brainlet. either way, nice talking to you.
>>
>>36343971
If you don't have any axioms then you can't have any thoughts.
>>
>>36344081
Insulting me will not make your psychotic nonsense any less stupid.
>>
>>36344147
only if you think logically, which is impossible, which is my point.
can you expand on your comment?
>>
>>36344252
i'm really sorry to have hurt your feelings anon, i've had a rough day and you and me are just repeating things at each other because we both feel we are right and none of us will change our mind.
>>
File: 1491973132270.png (300KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1491973132270.png
300KB, 500x333px
Why do you feel the need for your life to be dictated to you by some higher being or power? If you aren't already living for something that you yourself decided, your life is already pretty empty. And as for mortality, yeah, life begins and life ends, and everything has it's time. It did frighten me a lot to think of that as a child, but after awhile you become used to and okay with it. An eternal existence would be pretty hellish to me. People can decide they like living for whatever reason, maybe it's because they like listening to music, or they have a person in their life that they like being with, or they like eating, or they want to know as much as possible about the universe in the time they have. There is no objective meaning or morality, but that just means you create your own reason to live, your own personal reason to remain alive. And some people don't like living at all, so they drop out prematurely. It's whatever, just find something in life you enjoy and stick to it. It's more enjoyable than living by blindly following some made up "greater purpose" anyway.
>>
>people think that the afterlife exists

if it does, then explain why we haven't seen any evidence of it. And why people of different religions see different things when they are near death? If there were one true afterlife, shouldn't all those people see the same thing?
>>
>>36344342
I think you are projecting your hurt feelings unto me now.
What you are saying is complete gibberish, akin to saying that a sunflower isn't yellow untill we have categorized the color yellow.
>>
>>36338532
I don't know man... my life is pretty 'normal'. I do everything I enjoy and don't care about what others think.
>>
>>36344391
>people think emotional attachment exists

if it does, then explain why we haven't seen any evidence of it
>>
>>36344798
You won't see any evidence for sure. Because you're a retarded, autistic fuck that everybody hates.
>>
>>36344827
insults are not an argument
>>
>>36344798
What does this have to do with the topic at hand.
>>
>>36344852
Not everything that cannot be proven with evidence is not real.
>>
File: file.jpg (79KB, 500x440px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
79KB, 500x440px
>>36344883
If it cannot be proven without evidence, then why should we accept such claims as "real"? Also emotional attachment is proven with evidence. Here is the chemical for it.
>>
>>36344835
Oh, yes, yes, they are. Burn in helll, christfag.
>>
File: 1481474488587.png (643KB, 1022x731px) Image search: [Google]
1481474488587.png
643KB, 1022x731px
>>36338532

I just believe in my own justice and follow it

following your own ideals won't go wrong, as long as those ideals are well thought out and have a base

that being said religion can act as a good base philosophically, even without any reference to a god(s)
>>
>>36338633
>science predicts more dimensions
>string theory supports it
>math discovered it
>"all we see is all there is"

As you said anon, logically looking at it, the fact that we are the only intelligent lifeforms we know about within at least 100 lightyears, we are unable to observe 98% of our own damn universe much less other dimensions, and know for a fact that our physics/science is still in infancy, the belief in higher lifeforms would be logical.

Repeating patterns in multiple mediums don't come out of no where anon. They always have a creating force behind them (in this spacetime).
>>
>>36339718
No it's the fact that you actually care enough to yell your opinions on people, I mean if you really think the universe is meaningless then why do you care so much about telling people your opinion about it
>>
>>36344798
the chemicals oxytocin, seratonin. aka SCIENCE BTFO BITCH
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.