[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is seeking truth and enlightenment a good thing, or a painful

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: nn.jpg (201KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
nn.jpg
201KB, 1024x683px
Is seeking truth and enlightenment a good thing, or a painful and dangerous thing?
>>
>>36326598
It's inherently painful and too difficult for the average person. That's why so many people give up half way through and end up in a nightmare purgatory.
>>
>>36326598
Would you rather be happy and ignorant or wise? What wisdom holds, as far as mental states concerns, all depends on you and how far you take it.

It's not a question of good or bad, it's a question about what you really want.
>>
>>36326598
The anger phase is the resulting outcome, but you learn to just live with it, its better to be aware than to be comfortable with lies. If you've heard the term then you know it passes. You get used to seeing things how they actually are and you'll actually like it more because, now you have control.
>>
>>36326627
I disagree. It all depends on the person, and how far you delve into it. Again, it's a question about what you want, not what it is.
>>
>>36326662
Happy and ignorant is objectively the correct choice.
>>
>>36326709
Happiness isn't all there is to life.
>>
Being ignorant and happy will grant you hapiness for a certain period of time, but eventually in your lowest moments you will feel that sensation that you aren't happy or in control of your life. On the other hand, seeking wisdom will take you to another realm, it will change your perspective and will improve your quality of life and you may even be in control of the situation, but having achieved all of that, you will feel the need to have a simpler , more emotional life. I recommend living a life in society while secretly searching for new ways of experiencing reality (in the wisdom sense of the world, don't do drugs or fuck niggers)
>>
>>36326598
Depends on your definition of truth and enlightenment. It's a painful process at times and it's only dangerous if you let loose opinions on what you think it is to the wrong people. Personally I'm at my lowest when I'm not thinking about these things so I don't have anywhere to go but up. It's not something that's painful anymore, it's just finding another answer that can apply to my worldviews.
>>
>>36326598
I'd say it's probably pointless but it's a phase you need to go through?
>>
>>36326598
Man is waaay ahead of his own time. Evolution has not caught up with the things that machines allow us to see.

Not to mention that in any given intellectual or technical field, the passing down of knowledge has allowed individuals to build up from the accomplishments of innovators and pioneers. In Western Philosophy, the foundation came from the Ancient Greeks; we look to Aristotle so that we don't have to invent logic all over again.
>>
>>36327001
What I'm getting at is that we see truth as "painful" because we're still just animals. We're not emotionally equipped to deal with the vastness of the universe, or mass phenomenons, or string theory
>>
>>36326598
if you feel a compulsion to seek the truth, you're inevitably gonna search for it and follow it as extensively as you can. you'll go through a nihilistic period. building meaning out of thin air is hard after that. its really easy to just become a passive nihilist. good luck anon.
>>
>>36326598
nah dude, it could really improve your life. i was thinking of joining buddhaism, because i realized if there is a god he doesnt care about my family.
>>
It's a great thing.

According to what I believe, it's the only thing that matters. Any material pursuits are worthless and temporary. The only useful thing you could do in your life is advance spiritually.
>>
If people could see things how I see them humanity would change forever.
>>
File: 1489001124473.jpg (18KB, 409x410px) Image search: [Google]
1489001124473.jpg
18KB, 409x410px
>>36326598
I don't think enlightenment and truth is possible for most people. I don't even know if it is truly possible even for some people. It isn't so much a matter of intelligence either.
As humans we are like 90% emotional, maybe more. To do away with that 90% to reach a state of truth, would give 10-fold heroin the pain of heroin withdrawal.
Unless you begin when you are young it is definitely not possible. Old people especially have a hard time even acknowledging what truth is.
You need the energy and determination of youth to even have a shot at enlightenment. Which is why women also cannot reach it.
>>
>>36326598
no, it's boring and irrelevant
>>
>>36326598
I think both. I would probably feel happier being ignorant, but I would rather be honest with myself and deal with the consequences.
>>
>>36327260
Material pursuits are worthwhile depending on how much you value them. It doesn't matter if it's capitalistic or sentimental, it's a value. I don't particularly place value on material pursuits myself but that's just the sort of mindset that comes with materialism. I think what's really dangerous is mindless materialism, wanting something but not knowing why you want it in the first place. You could obtain that material and regret it afterwards. Objects can have spiritual value as well. Mainstream examples are totems, crosses, statues of religious figures, and what you assign a spiritual value could as well (though that's more in-line with sentimental value). Also, both objects and thoughts can be considered pointless depending on how the afterlife (if applicable) is defined. Egyptians buried the dead's possessions with them to take into the afterlife, while various other religions in modern times think only of the spirit. A nihilist may place value on neither of these things in the long run and only think of what they want at the time (even if it is pointless). Some people think thoughts are worthless in of itself when we have existential terrors such as memory loss, or when our thoughts are just "passing through" until they may or may not turn up again. We could converse like this and it would just be a passing memory, completely temporary unless it were relevant (and even then that's not guaranteed!)

I do agree that spiritual/knowledgeable pursuits are very important no matter how the all things, real or not, are valued. Especially when all of the answers are subjective. At worst, even if our thoughts are worthless, they were interesting or even fun to entertain.
>>
Some people (like me) tries to understand oneself and ends up in depression. I would say that youll need to be in the right environment and feel safe. Also, reaching enlightenment takes a long long time.
>>
>>36327669
No, it's all useless.

When you compare anything to infinity, it is nothing.
>>
>>36326598
It's shit. ITS SHIT.
>>
>>36327768
Yep, precisely what I described. Your thoughts and items are both just a drop in the bucket. That's what proposes more questions, such as "what's the point?" or "what should I do then?" You're free to answer the questions in any way you wish, but there is no defined answer at this time.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.