[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How and why are people motivated? It's been many years

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Never knows best.jpg (35KB, 649x511px) Image search: [Google]
Never knows best.jpg
35KB, 649x511px
How and why are people motivated?

It's been many years since I've had any desire to do anything or acquire something.
Power, money, luxury, sex, friends, hobbies... etc.

I don't really desire any of it. Not due to some profound philosophical reason or anything. I just don't.
I tried to force myself into hobbies and endeavors and I attempted to overcompensate for my lack of motivation, but nothing ever makes me satisfied. If I let myself go and do nothing life becomes somewhat tolerable. If I attempt something I just feel so insanely bored.

Living like this really isn't worth it.
Do you guys have any tricks and tips on how to motivate yourself?
Even a little bit helps.
>>
File: 1464215494555.jpg (222KB, 1042x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1464215494555.jpg
222KB, 1042x1500px
I'm on the same boat, hang in there OP.
>>
>>36173021
Motivation and inspiration is pussy shit.
It makes you do things because you feel like it.
Discipline, however, makes you do things because they are good regardless of how you feel.
>>
>>36173021
A healthy functional brain is motivated and enjoys life. If your life gives you more shit than your brain is equipped to deal with you end up damaged. And/or you have something so simple like a mutation that makes the available dopamine in your brain less potent than it should be and you end up disillusioned and lethargic from day 1 in your moms belly.
>>
>>36173179

But what's the point of trying hard when you don't even get any enjoyment of satisfaction out of it?
The whole point of life is to feel as happy/satisfied as possible, as often as possible.
I'd probably be bored and disinterested if I had the typical "perfect" life that some people have.
Six figures, family, active social life and all that stuff.
It really doesn't make sense for me to push myself that hard when the end result is being as satisfied as I am now.
>>
>>36173403
>The whole point of life is to feel as happy/satisfied as possible as often as possible
If youre a hedonist.
Some poeple see higher purpose in their life than entertaining themselves.
>Whats the point
You could maybe help others enjoy their life more.
Also you cannot know if they will be fulfilling if you dont try.
I know alot of people, myself included, that were thinking working out is so boring how could i do that every day for an hour. And once they started they never stopped. I kept going for 3 months untill my school started and i couldnt find the time.
You cannot say life is not enjoyable if you never experience it.
>>
>>36173021
>>36173393
To add on that, you should probably look into stuff like ADD and buproprion assuming you've ruled out shit like major depression.
>>
Studying absurdism and zen Buddhism helped me find some motivation, although I still struggle.
Alan watts - the wisdom of insecurity

You have to get in touch with what you find interesting and blindly chase that, regardless of how stupid it might be. As long as something has intrinsic and regular "fun" or "coolness" or "peculiarity" then keep mining that vein for as long as you can. If gaming used to be that, then you probably grew up and realised video games are predictable and boring af, find a new hobby.
>>
File: help man.jpg (39KB, 463x541px) Image search: [Google]
help man.jpg
39KB, 463x541px
>>36173476

I'd love some higher purpose, sadly I can't really buy into any of them.
From my perspective it just seems like fabricating stuff to be more important than you actually are, but it doesn't really matter cause my issues aren't ideological anyway.

I've tried many things in life, helping people included.
None of it really made me feel good. At best it was just neat.
Even if I don't contribute the world won't notice my absence, I'm nothing special.

>>36173506

I've been diagnosed with depression in the past.
It's funny you should mention ADD because I've researched it recently and I'm pretty damn certain that I have it. Not sure what to do about it though. I don't like the idea of taking medication for it.
>>
>>36173476
Life is enjoyable if you're doing good, not so much if you're struggling. Remember that it's relative too so there has to be losers, no other way around that other than a complete redesign of our biology and environment. Our species reproductive framework has literally evolved to always weed out the lower part of the male population, REGARDLESS of what standards they reach (they could be demi-gods, it doesn't matter when the upper half are gods and so on). Not to mention we need to consume our surroundings to sustain our bodies (i.e something is getting consumed = losing), this pattern is everywhere. And you want to know what happens if you sit down and reject this reality? You starve and eventually lose control as your body proceeds to do anything to survive. Happy dreams folks
>>
>>36173021
i only want to get out of poverty. a normal home would be nice. it's my only real goal in life.
>>
>>36173672
>Others wont notice my absence
But you do. You are asking a question on how are people motivated, because you want to be motivated too id assume.
If youre absolutely happy with your life, i really dont care if youre homeless and do nothing but beg all day. But i doubt thats the case.
And some things take more than the initial try, to be enjoyable.
For instance, i thought programming was boring, i couldnt imagine myself programming alot of hours a day, but its mostly because ive been above what the class was studying. But now that we have abit more complex problems, its alot more entertaining. Seeing how others make worse solutions to the same problem, than i do, it was nice.
And as far as hedonism goes, money will help you in your hedonistic ways like nothing else can.
>>36173722
Now that life in general sucks, i definitely agree, it sucks for people dying out of hunger, it sucks for people that are not.
But what are your options here?
You need money to survive, so you have to work eventually, and the more you work the better retirement youll have. Alot of stress in people is due to lack of money actually.
If youre not doing good, play better.
The other option, rejecting the reality, is suicide. I am for suicide, i dont disagree with anyone who does it. But if you cannot muster up the willpower strength and courage to do it, then you are definitely stuck in this reality.
Do the best you can to make it enjoyable, and sometimes that does mean putting in some work, feel like shit for a period of time, to feel better later.
>>
>>36173672
Same boat, diagnosed depression (and anxiety) and suspecting something like ADD because i've had focus/motivation, mood and energy issues as long as i can remember. I perform in the top 5% on pretty much any cognitive test apart from heavy stressful memory/math tasks yet i was completely worn out after high school, not even a young adult yet. Ten years later and i'm still struggling with the same garbage, and now ten years behind my peers.

If you're miserable and paralyzed in a state of decay you might as well try some meds, at least if you're 23+ or so and still stuck. The ADD meds are all stimulants and are arguably easier to deal with than typical SSRI/SNRI anti-depressants. Though there is a bit of an addiction/abuse problem with stronger stuff like adderall. Amphetamine...
>>
>>36174268

What perplexes me the most is that I used to be the exact opposite when I was a kid/young teen.
I never stopped. I just kept going from one thing to another. I was supposed to accelerated 3 grades ahead simply due to the fact that I was very curious and I liked learning stuff on my own.

Fast forward to now and I dropped out of university cause I can't find a modicum of motivation within myself. Just like you I preform really well on cognitive tests. I have no idea where it all went so wrong. It feels like I'm decaying, and if I try to fight it I just accelerate the process.
>>
>How and why are people motivated?

Ask yourself why you were motivated to write your post.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.