[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Very accomplished normies

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: upset feline.jpg (4KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
upset feline.jpg
4KB, 220x220px
>meet these people from upper middle class families
>do excellent on college level courses in high school and are accomplished in clubs
>essentially busy 99% of the time
>after high school go out and study a meme degree
>no delayed gratification or perceived one because its an obvious meme degree like art

What compels people to act this way? Is it a class thing? How does a family unit socialize someone who is otherwise of average intelligence to excel in traditional regimented schooling? Many of these people I would not consider very intelligent or particularly high IQ'd. I've noticed that around 80% of high school teachers were these people as well.

I'm not trying to imitate the "smart but lazy meme," and I'm sure that you've met normies who are very obviously of average intelligence who do excellently in simply life.
>>
My ex is from an upper-middle-class Indian family. She was bright but not exceptionally intelligent.

Her family just instilled a strong work ethic in her. She didn't date in university until we met, went out of her way to find internships, and treated college like a job. We're both 23 now and she's making $70,000 per year while her company pays for her to finish an MBA from a top-ranked university.

Can't explain it myself. I don't think she really cares about her job at all - she just has a tremendous load of expectations from her parents and is terrified to let them down.
>>
I should add that I've met one normie from an upper middle class family who wasn't randomly accomplished (accomplished in things with no real gratification), and the thing he was also different from (and all his siblings) is that they were very introverted. I believe that normies accomplish so much, especially the upper-classed ones, is because the more extroverted you are the more you seek to compete with your own friends in random shit.
>>
Social intelligence. Meme degrees like art are 99% based around telling the professor exactly what they want to hear. These family units help install social intelligence.
>>
>>36008863
>Can't explain it myself. I don't think she really cares about her job at all - she just has a tremendous load of expectations from her parents and is terrified to let them down.

Is it fear that keeps normies in line then?

>>36008885
But the specific normies of this type I know get 4s/5s in their AP tests, and the only one which filters out the truly intelligent accomplished normies are the ones in math. Social intelligence won't get you a 5 in AP US history 2bh
>>
>>36008826
Connections.

Normies cheat off each other, if you haven't already guessed.
>>
File: 1445017850881.png (1MB, 513x1117px) Image search: [Google]
1445017850881.png
1MB, 513x1117px
>>36008826
>Not getting a degree in what you want while networking and getting work experience or learning useful second hand skills.

Most people don't really do this and then they claim that college is a fucking meme and how they got fucked over, then they go to grad school and hate it.
>>
>>36008826
they are getting instant gratification from other normies, other normies are constantly watching, when they were kids they'd bring home a project and their mother would be impressed, their father would watch them play football, they would be congratulated on good grades, in the rare event someone mistook them for one of us and took the piss they could say "oh, I have friends, a gf, I get good grades, my teachers like me, you're just a cunt"

whereas someone like us could spend hours programming a flight simulator when we are 14 requiring an enormous level of commitment and overworked brain cells but no one will give a shit, we will always be the beta male, our accomplishments are just a weird nerdy hobby
>>
>>36008909

>Is it fear that keeps normies in line then?

That might be part of.

She always told me that I was smarter than her and was going to great things, provided I eventually graduated and finished my degree.

What boggled my mind was that she didn't want much more than an MBA, management position, and 9-5 at the office. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, of course - I just couldn't be happy with a big salary and the kinds of mindless work she was always complaining about.

I'd rather be broke and eat tomato soup on the back of a railway coal car; at least the thought of getting thrashed by the yard bulls would keep my adrenaline pumping.
>>
>>36008826

Intelligence is not the only strong predictor of success. Self control and confidence are both nearly as strong as intelligence and a person of average intelligence with strong self control and confidence will easily outperform a highly intelligent person with no self control or confidence.

See >>36008863. "Work ethic" is just self control - the ability to make yourself work hard at something when you'd rather be doing other things, and to stick with it for extended periods.
>>
File: 1486095292527.png (766KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1486095292527.png
766KB, 2000x2000px
>was tested to be very intelligent as a child
>social anxiety and a robot family academic culture of ignoring school
>almost failed out while decently intelligent normies do very well in academics and then go to college

>doomed to a life of mediocrity because I came from a poorfag family with no work ethic

Know exactly what you mean OP. Middle class and sociable normies will generally always excel because their work ethic
>>
>>36009068

Same guy who made: >>36008863.

Going to take on another example:

One of my close friends is a first-year medical student. What he's told me over and over again that the sort of material he's covering isn't exceptionally challenging. In his words, anyone who can grasp rudimentary science classes in university can get through medical school.

The difference is that being in medical school requires intense concentration and being able to force yourself to study for ten or twelve hours every day for four years straight. There's way more material, the tests are harder, and you can't stop, even if the concepts don't require a genius to process.

Like Anon said, it's all about being able to focus and apply yourself towards a distant goal and non-immediate payoff.
>>
>>36009109
>able to focus and apply yourself towards a distant goal and non-immediate payoff

Is there really a payoff though (im op)? So many of the people I'm talking about study nonsense like acting.
>>
>>36009141

Just depends on your end-game, I suppose.

My friend in medical school grew up in Iraq. He'd always wanted to be a doctor, even before he came to the United States. Ever since I met him, he's studied and worked hard to get to where he is today. In another six or seven years, he'll be done with residency and earning at least $200,000 per year.

That's what he wanted, so I suppose it'll have been worth it to him.

Somebody who studies acting can still be fulfilled, provided they didn't have their head in the clouds and knew what they were getting into.

Just gotta figure out what you value and how to get there, while being realistic and not expecting to live your wildest fantasy.

I'm 23 and still trying to figure that shit out.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.