[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your definition of art?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

File: bart simpson.png (33KB, 300x201px) Image search: [Google]
bart simpson.png
33KB, 300x201px
What is your definition of art?
>>
pictures drawn well
>>
>>44329453

*ahem*

THERE ARE MANY THINGS THAT NEED TO BE ERASED
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8z9Eh46vSA
>>
>>44329453
As a former art history major, all modern art is a scam, it's on purpose to make money, and only the mentally ill don't understand this and take it super seriously. It's an industry that operates exclusively on feels.
>>
A lie.
>>
>>44330625
Wowzers.
>>
My favorite art is rhetoric and persuasion used for manipulation and fun!
>>
>>44329453
You not making shit posts and being a faggot OP
>>
File: 1429526402082.jpg (177KB, 990x687px) Image search: [Google]
1429526402082.jpg
177KB, 990x687px
reminder
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>44330625
>art dealer here

It really is just a way I get rich people to pay me to buy them shit to make them look cultures for their friends.
Pic is the art my bathroom where I am currently going stibky.
>>
>>44329453
things that i like
>>
>>44330625
nah nigger. art is whatever you want it to be
>>
>>44329453

After my years in art class, I come to realize to define art, is the same thing as proclaiming any religion or secular understanding in the universe is the one true way of understanding it. Art is as indefinable as the tastes of humans is infinite.

We will try to say "This is not art" or "This is art" but we must ultimately recognize that there is a line between what we ourselves find appealing and what a society, group, government claims is appealing. I personally view God as the greatest artist, as to have not only created such a great masterpiece that we call life, but to also have it change and paint itself at the same time.

That being said I also retain the right to say what I find good and what I find as utter shit.

>>44331120

If Hitlers art was accepted, you think he would of even bothered with the military or politics at all?

>>44329958

I always listened to that part and seeing his cold blank stare when he said that, him being a politician no less, always set alarms blaring in my head. When a politician of any sort says "There are a great many things that needs to be erased," No matter what part of the political spectrum they are on, always makes me uneasy.
>>
>>44331901
I guess that much is true, but what do YOU consider art and not art, or at least good or bad, that's what I was trying to ask I guess
>>
>>44331120

Hitler's art has pretty fucked up perspectives for the most part.
>>
File: youve doomed us all.png (68KB, 255x205px) Image search: [Google]
youve doomed us all.png
68KB, 255x205px
>>44330625

>tfw legit just trying to make cool stuff
>apparently this is worth shit compared to people who make really questionable contemporary shit
>tfw will always be looked down on by Galleries
>>
>>44329453
This guy explains it well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN9iJCZ5Il8

Mind the loud intro.
>>
File: christoph_willibald_gluck.jpg (101KB, 760x950px) Image search: [Google]
christoph_willibald_gluck.jpg
101KB, 760x950px
The 3 E's. Art should

>EDUCATE

>ELEVATE

>ENLIGHTEN

Occiasionally art should entertain. Illustration, in my opinion, does not fill the same function as fine art, but it is the only sector of the art world that values practical skill in composition, anatomy, light, etc.

Up until the 20th century art was about religious allegory, history, and life drawing and these goals were what artists had in mind.

This is a painting by Joseph Siffred Duplessis of Christoph Willibald Gluck, at one time the most famous composer in Europe, and one of Mozart's main inspirations. The painting shows Gluck working out melodies at a clavichord showing the precise moment a brilliant new subject appears in his mind, in a way a photograph never could. It celebrates the ideals of art, the genius of the creative mind and the joy of individual accomplishment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g96bNd0o4k
>>
File: 1427430968423.jpg (675KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1427430968423.jpg
675KB, 1920x1080px
>>44333187

I guess that was too broad of me to say. I guess it depends on my mood. I tend to prefer the art of cultures alien to the West. I always found their uniqueness to the often collective western view in how art and paintings should be done.

I tend to prefer the more fantastical or creative to the realistic depictions. But than again, pics like shown here do give me a liking for the urban night life and cyberpunk feels.
>>
File: 1426209769453.jpg (2MB, 2000x1401px) Image search: [Google]
1426209769453.jpg
2MB, 2000x1401px
I'm not an artist and it's probably not an entirely fair definition: But for me art needs some semblance of technical mastery.

Your creative vision may govern what you -want- to do, but your technical skills will always limit what you -can- do, lack of technical mastery inhibits expression, someone who can only draw stick figures would never be able to express turmoil or suffering to the extent that a skilled artist could.

So as a ground rule (and the reason I hate modern art): If a child could have made it, it's not art.
>>
>>44334221
But do you think that non-traditionalist art could also do those 3?
>>
File: cyborg.jpg (278KB, 500x647px) Image search: [Google]
cyborg.jpg
278KB, 500x647px
>>44329453
Something like this or anything dieselpunk/cyberpunk, also your classic 14th to 20th century paintings.
>>
Art to me is to get feelings of evocation.
>>
>>44333310
I know, but it's still a ton better than pictures of anuses which get 30 fucking million
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.