[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay /pol/, let's cut the shit. I want to know how a small

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 90

Okay /pol/, let's cut the shit. I want to know how a small minority of you have reached such high levels of articulation and critical thinking, and I want to know this now.

I don't consider myself stupid relative to the rest of the population, but good god some of you here make me look like an absolute monkey. Is it age? I'm 18, is that what you'd consider a significant intellectual variable? Is it my lack of reading? I play video games all day when I'm not in college, is that fucking it? Is it that I'm genetically inclined to only be able to retain a set amount of words/concepts? Both my parents are highly successful people in their respective fields, and have both had salaries of up to 250k+ at multiple points in their lives, so I can't possibly see how that could be it. So seriously, let's hear it. What is your secret sauce?

tl;dr How do you become smarter?
>>
>>39565379
sucking our cock isn't going to make you smarter, for one thing
>>
>>39565379
Lurk moar faget
>>
Blaze cush
>>
Just be cool like me, Ricky Dee
>>
>>39565414
Valuable input anon, a wonderful way to start off the thread (which happens to be completely serious in nature).
>>
>>39565379
>/pol/
>smart

fuck off nigger
>>
>>39565379
>thinking /pol/ is smart.

yeah, you're dumb as fuck
>>
>>39565379
lol faget
>>
>>39565379
>I play video games all day when I'm not in college, is that fucking it?

Yes. Grow the fuck up and stop playing video games. Use that time to further your studies, read more, and lift.
>>
File: 308px-WIH-r6FXm.jpg (22KB, 308x461px) Image search: [Google]
308px-WIH-r6FXm.jpg
22KB, 308x461px
>>39565477
>>39565491
>small minority
>>
>>39565522
who is that guy and why does he look so familiar
>>
>>39565519

Then rinse, repeat, and do it once more. The people on this board who are actually articulate and well read are that way because they've devoted the time and effort. There is no shortcut, you either do it or you don't. So quit being a fag, and put in the effort.
>>
>>39565569
Bulba.

>>39565589
Read more of what? /pol/?
>>
>>39565379
Well first you stop expecting to be spoon fed Intelligence like you have been spoon fed everything else.

Then you quit your job/College/whatever.
Then you stop watching TV.
Then you REALLY STOP WATCHING TV nigger.

Then you start reading, everything, literature, research, "news", news, forums, tech articles, libtards, neocons, Stormfags, jooz, fucking literally everything that isn't like pop culture vomit or political party manufactured bullshit.

/pol/ is actually pretty gud for this, theres a lot of random, disparate shit posted here but most of the time its worth reading, even if its propaganda for one side or another, you cannot reach a valid opinion about a person or group or event without fully understand that thing.

Collect information, analyze information, compare shit and learn to spot bullshit.

No matter how much you read you have not read enough.

Other media formats aside from unedited video and imagery simply cannot provide enough information to matter. Literally all "information on TV is carefully filtered and dumbed down so the retarded average of humanity can understand it.

Seriously though. TL:DR: Read More.
>>
I can't say anything about the rest of these morons, but I have always just been smarter than 99% of the rest of humanity. I was politically savvy as a child, understood classic literature and had a basic understanding of human anatomy by 8, read large novels in afternoons by 10, and have been a broad scholar of history and religion for almost as long as I can remember.
>>
Yes. When I look back at how I was when I was 18, fucking shit was I stupid.
>>
>>39565685
*tips fedora*
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 600x508px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 600x508px
>>39565379

Read more, study what you are interested aside from school work, read into other cultures before you voice an opinion. Get your news from all sauces and formulate your own opinions-

And never ever be a follower anon, be your own person, if you live honestly you may fare well.

> also- if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything

Most of all lurk more
>>
>>39565617
No. Read history, psychology, philosophy, political theory of course, learn about the sciences, learn a science, learn how science /works/ and what it's like to actually assimilate a body of knowledge.
I'll give you two specific things to read. The first you should start poking at right now.
http://www.moreright.net/books/Mencius%20Moldbug/Gentle%20Introduction.pdf
That's a Gentle Introduction to Unqualified Reservations, without a doubt the finest reactionary theory getting peddled in our era.

The second, which you should read when you get a chance, is A Philosophical Enquiry into the Origin of Our Ideas of the Sublime and Beautiful, by the great Edmund Burke. If you find /pol/'s occasional ray of OG traditionalist wisdom to be refreshing, Burke'll feel like coming home.

Stop playing video games, man. Do something with yourself.
>>
>>39565737

There there, we can't all be geniuses.
>>
>>39565379
>I play video games all day
1st stop that, only play occasionally as a stress reliever.
2nd read, read real books, I recommend you start with the classics than make your way up to the more contemporary works.
3rd lurk /pol/ and /x/
4th THINK ABOUT THINGS, think about what broader concepts are behind the ideas that you would normally take for granted, also think about your words and your posts before you say them or post them, you will be able to sound 100% more intelligent by doing this, and by sounding intelligent and thinking intelligent, you become an intellectual, but it is important to lay the ground work first, don't just try shoving big words into your posts and vocabulary unless you know what they mean and are relevant to the situation.
>>
Age 10 years, question everything. Don't do drugs, mkay?
>>
>>39565671
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just tell me I should quit college?

I literally don't watch tv, nor do I subscribe to any of the mainstream media outlets (for the most part). Naturally they come up via /pol/, pages I've liked on Facebook, and other alternative media outlets, but that's about it.

My problem is moreso retaining the information I learn. I'll have an opinion on something, but in a debate and/or when I'm reading something that I know I disagree with, I'll struggle to formulate an exact reason as to why I disagree with said thing, despite knowing 100% that I definitely disagree with it, and that my disagreement is objectively justifiable. I've always assumed it's a product of my not reading enough, as opposed to an issue with memory. Hopefully that's the case.

But otherwise yeah, I suppose that was a bit helpful.

>>39565685
kill urself

>>39565758
>if you stand for nothing you will fall for nothing

You see this is another thing. What I believe to be humanities biggest flaw in regards to general mentality, is peoples inherent desire to "claim" an idea. What I mean by this is that people will "stand for something", but by doing so are actually just being ignorant. It's hard to stand on any issue 100% when there's two completely different ends of any topics spectrum. There's always people far more intelligent than I willing to propagate either position, so I figure it best I not subscribe to any idea 100%, less I end up dousing myself in my own mental complacency.

>>39565786
ty, will look into.

>>39565817
We seem to be coming to the consensus of: Stop playing games, read more books.
>>
>>39565379
1) Obviously read more. Once you get good at reading you learn to skim things and save even more time. Yes, details are important, so slow down when you need to.

2) Have an open mind. Don't reject things outright. This doesn't mean be contrarian. It just means be willing to accept that you could be wrong. If someone brings up evidence you can't refute, it's time to go examine that evidence. Be ready to change your mind, or decide by that evidence could be interpreted differently or doesn't fit.

3) Study things like math, statistics, chemistry, programming, physics, etc. You'd be surprised the way how, once your mind has just a small critical mass in each or some of these topics, you'll start making some pretty incredible associations between concepts you thought were unrelated. It also helps you understand any news you hear about government policy, environment, and markets, and sift bullshit from reality.

4) Social intelligence matters. Don't let the nerds tell you it doesn't. You need a good understanding of how "bullshitting" works, how lies are woven, the "art of storytelling." There actually a great deal of wisdom to be found in certain Hollywood films (or even watching shows like Pawn Stars, The Profit, or Shark Tank). Never forget that most people are basically a walking set of delusional beliefs about themselves and the world, and mostly react to their base desires, and this is what makes subliminal mind control possible.

5) Eat a healthy diet. Your brain is never going to work right on processed crap. Start with a Mediterranean diet and go from there. Think high in vegetables, fruits, olive oil, fish, etc.

7) STUDY MATH. This literally affects everything from finance, economics, engineering, to simply measuring and building things. If you don't understand it, or think you can be "smart" without understanding it, you're deluded. You will forever be "smart" and not actually smart like a wall street hedge fund manager.
>>
>>39565899
You should almost certainly quit college. The only reason you shouldn't is if you're in a position good enough that you'd ignore anyone who tried to persuade you otherwise.
>>
>>39565899
>Stop playing games, read more books.
books and lurking the boards.
>>
>>39565379
>I want to know how a small minority of you have reached such high levels of articulation and critical thinking, and I want to know this now.
A degree in Political Science and a Juris Doctor. Years of experience and traveling around the world. It also helps that I read a couple of news sites daily.

>I'm 18, is that what you'd consider a significant intellectual variable?
Intelligence is good but without the tool of knowledge it only goes so far. Then you get to a whole new level if you go beyond knowledge and into the realm of understanding.
>>
Observe what interests you, stay current in those topics, remain critical of information, and opine solely when you believe your opinion to be valuable.
>>
>>39565902
con't

8) Try doing more things yourself and stop relying so much on technology. Try going hiking and orienteering yourself on a map (study the principles first). Try repairing that broken appliance yourself, what's there to lose? Try repairing the car yourself. Try building something out of wood. Don't give up after the first time, of course it's going to be shitty, just make a note of all the problems/difficulties you encountered, go do your research and then try again.

9) ASK FOR HELP. The one huge thing I learned was there's no point in teaching myself something when there's a resource around (friend or mentor or online acquaintance) that knows all about that topic and can simply teach me. Also, having a teacher usually means getting deep insight into a process that might have taken you making a thousand of your own mistakes to discover. Take the easy route. If you can't find a teacher, there's a plethora of videos online too.

10) Bonus round: search for esoteric knowledge. Why are there 360 degrees in a circle? Why do we use a base 10 number system? Where did the zodiac come from and why is it important? Understand the motions of the planets and the stars, and what these meant to the ancients. Search for the real history of the world.

This should give you a good start. In general, being smart is about constant learning, every day.
>>
>>39565902
Ah now this is an interesting piece of advice.

Unfortunately I am, and always have been completely inept when it comes to math. Take my word for it when I say that won't ever change. However I did come to a similar conclusion (how knowledge of the markets and what not is crucial in understanding things) when I stumbled upon this guy a while back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEwnmyUsJaQ

But again, it unfortunately it tends to go through one ear and out the other. Which essentially sums up my experience with math.

I hate fish. However I do take a fish oil capsule a day, if that counts.

>>39565950
How am I going to make a living (eventually) if I don't finish school? Wtf are you saying.

>>39565996
Nice.
>>
>>39566068
>wtf
Stop posting.
>>
File: kappa.png (231KB, 841x990px) Image search: [Google]
kappa.png
231KB, 841x990px
>>39566091
>>
>>39566053
Okay, that's going a bit too far for my taste. I don't see how fixing broken appliances and asking morons for help is going to get me anywhere. I especially don't see how knowing why there are 360 degrees in a circle will ever be of any benefit to me.
>>
>>39566068
I dropped out of school, learned to cook (really fucking well), learned carpentry from my grandfather, learned a little bit of auto, in addition to continuing my self-education. Now I can go pretty much anywhere in the English speaking world and find good-paying work. No debt, no more fucking lefty blue pill bullcrap, I can work with my hands and be of service to my community while covering intellectual territory that no sorry, fettered academic could, in my ample spare time.
Drop out of college, bro.
>>
>>39566164
Well obviously if you already knew how to be smart, you wouldn't be posting the thread asking why it seems like people are so much smarter than you. So when people tell you, and you say "well that doesn't make any sense", you're not being self-aware. If it all already made sense to you, you wouldn't have needed to post the thread.
>>
>>39566164
Because 360 is easily divisible by 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 12.
>>
>>39565414
well it can't hurt either
>>
>>39566167
That's quite the success story, and I envy your ability to have achieved it. However with that being said, it's ultimately unrealistic that any person can, as you say "learn to cook, learn carpentry, learn a little bit of audio" and then subsequently earn good money traveling the world doing whatever.

I'd rather myself get a stable job thank you very much.

>>39566204
To be fair, I was referring to a specific group of people, not just anyone on /pol/. Whether or not you (or whoever posted that) qualify as being in the aforementioned demographic, has yet to be seen. The advice is only relevant if it's coming from a relevant source.

>>39566222
Good to know? When will I need to apply such a concept to anything?
>>
>>39566222
>222
lol
>>
>>39565379
18 is physical maturity. Mental maturity doesn't occur until 22-24, usually.

When you hit 18 you become more aware of the world around you. Suddenly life isn't just high school and whatever hobbies you've had. You start to form your own worldview around this time. It's a long process of refining and thinking.

You're just starting that process now, so don't worry about other people being able to talk over your head. Just focus on thinking critically and finding the truth. Always remember that no one can hand you a perfect world view. No one can share the full truth with you. We can only share bits and pieces that we understand, and even then everyone makes mistakes. All you can do is try your best to take the pieces and put them together, while discarding pieces you discover aren't true.
>>
>>39566261
Right now.

Why are there 360 degrees in a circle?
>>
>>39566068
>Unfortunately I am, and always have been completely inept when it comes to math. Take my word for it when I say that won't ever change.

It's just that you haven't had a good teacher, and you haven't stuck with it. One thing I've been told over and over throughout my life, is that I am a great teacher. The reason is, I can look at someone, and instantly tell which concepts they understand and which they do not. And I can think of 3 different ways to put something before they finally understand it.

What I've noticed with math, is that the topic can quickly get away from the student. In math it is FATAL to move on to higher math, without spending the time necessary to completely fill in the foundations first (base 10, multiplication tables, decimals, fractions, division, etc.). You need a SOLID understanding of that stuff, and many people sadly, get stuck at this point.

Believe me, it's NOT THAT YOU CANT DO IT. Don't say that! Math is exactly the same as bodybuilding. Literally you cannot be a fat slob, sit around and eat cheetos, and then hop over to the gym and become a world class bodybuilder.

Once you start learning basic math, you are exercising this pea sized part of your brain that basically doesn't exist....however, as you go on, it will grow, and grow, and grow. The math will start to get easier and easier, and the pain will grow less.
>>
Think moar. Look up things that are suspected of making you more intelligent, and then do those things. (Learn a language; learn an instrument; play chess; yell at niggers on the internet). Read a lot. Then, think moar.

Source: MENSAfag
>>
>>39565899
College gets you a piece of paper that might or might not get you a job. It does not make you intelligent, knowledgeable, analytical or wise, you have to acquire those things on your own.

School and college equip you to be a good cog in a corporate machine, they give you a piece of paper that tells that corporate machine that you have been so equipped.

College is not a magical process that makes you smart, in fact it is often the opposite, it is a process that grinds out "imperfections" that make you less desirable to an employer. Imperfections like creativity, individuality, analytical thought and willfulness. "Education" in the western world is designed to produce square peg workers to fit into square hole jobs. If you look at the REALLY successful self made people in the world today, most of them dropped out of school at some point because they were ahead of the school, its rigid structure was holding them back and confining their creativity so that they would make better workers.

If you want to be a worker, by all means, stay in school, If you want to be a thinker/inventor/innovator/leader/ground breaker/independent person, get out before the production press of "education" squashes you into the shape it is designed to produce, Compliant, narrow skilled, box living people who cannot think their way out of a simple deception to save their own lives.

Get the fuck off Facebook, that shit is one of the worst things to happen to humanity in the last 500 years. Literally caused more damage than the second world war.
>>
>>39565379
Take the iron pill.
>>
>>39566261
I'm an aspie with poor social skills, prone to panic attacks and pretty low-affect. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can. It is not at all unrealistic that every single person can get good at a couple of things and then figure out how to profit off of them, what are you on about?
>>
a nigger doctor is my motivation

aint no nigga gonna be betta than me
>>
>>39566164
>I don't see how fixing broken appliances and asking morons for help is going to get me anywhere.

It could (and likely will) mean the difference between life and death in the future. That's not the only reason to learn skills like that, it also just serves as a whetstone for your mind because it is a struggle that breaks the monotony. But yeah, once you read and reflect enough on the current trajectory we're collectively on in the west, it becomes pretty clear that all those fags with worthless degrees will be utterly fucked because they never learned basic survival skills, or skills that would provide value to others and can be exchanged for goods and services in a collapse scenario.
>>
>>39566383
Nigger president.
>>
>>39566164
>Okay, that's going a bit too far for my taste. I don't see how fixing broken appliances and asking morons for help is going to get me anywhere.
I never said ask morons for help. I said ask experts. That's the easiest way to learn.

As far as fixing appliances, it helps you learn how something you use every day actually works. You don't think that's valuable knowledge? By the way, a smart person, realizes that all knowledge is valuable. If I know what's inside something and what makes it tick, then I also know how to scavenge parts from it, hack it, build something else useful, or what to do if that thing is on fire. All good stuff.

>I especially don't see how knowing why there are 360 degrees in a circle will ever be of any benefit to me.
Maybe you don't now. After all you're the one who started a thread asking how to be smart, but you're already exhibiting the attitudes of someone who never will be.

Think long and hard.
>>
>>39565379
Think critically, but reasonably. Internally question the world around you. What fits in? What doesn't? Why?
>jews
>>
File: 1414970768564.gif (793KB, 360x203px) Image search: [Google]
1414970768564.gif
793KB, 360x203px
>>39565685
all of my keks anon, all of my keks
>>
>>39565685
keks
>>
>>39565899
>My problem is moreso retaining the information I learn. I'll have an opinion on something, but in a debate and/or when I'm reading something that I know I disagree with, I'll struggle to formulate an exact reason as to why I disagree with said thing, despite knowing 100% that I definitely disagree with it, and that my disagreement is objectively justifiable. I've always assumed it's a product of my not reading enough, as opposed to an issue with memory. Hopefully that's the case.
Engage in debates to solve this. A lot of people talk shit about arguing on the internet, but that's because most people are bad at it. Now, think about what I just said... most people are bad at it. Not only does that mean most people do not enjoy arguing on the internet because they're bad at arguing, but also most people on the internet are not worth arguing with.

This means you need to be able to find people you know are worth arguing with, and then try your hand at it. Don't even necessarily argue about things you believe in. Just press them on whatever you can to see what they have to say. If they're truly worth arguing with they'll present you with information and facts that you didn't know before. You'll learn something, and in the process become better at debate.

Then you have more knowledge in your arsenal to debate with when you're actually arguing something you believe in. Not to mention you'll have more experience arguing because you intentionally handicapped yourself previously by intentionally arguing from a standpoint you knew was untrue. It is ALWAYS more difficult to debate from an incorrect position compared to a correct position. Truth is what wins debates, more than anything else.
>>
>>39566401
his otha half got his presidency
fooled his monkey clans to vote him
>>
>>39566401
>President is a prestigious job with high qualifications.

Biggest popularity contest ever to be.

The qualifications to be a bus driver are tighter than the qualifications to be president.

Keep chugging those blue pills.
>>
>>39566261
>Good to know? When will I need to apply such a concept to anything?
Being smart comes in layers, like an onion. As you descend through the layers, you start to become aware of things that you didn't know existed.
>>
>>39566326
Look, buddy. I get it... a degree is a stupid piece of paper that just about any idiot can get. It doesn't represent intelligence.

But the fact of the matter is that it is NECESSARY to be successful in the current system. People without degrees are so much less likely to be successful in any way that it isn't worth the fucking risk. You would have to be stupid to not get it.

And don't start cherry picking people without degrees who are successful. You'll probably be picking out old people who started in the working world LONG AGO under completely different circumstances. Not to mention picking out a few success stories doesn't somehow mean dropping out of university is the winning strategy. Successful people with degrees far outweigh successful people without degrees.
>>
>>39566273
Yeah this guy, I like this guy.

>>39566294
>implying random trivia questions are of intellectual significance

How many Americans died at the battle of the bulge anon?

>>39566308
I had to learn fractions at about 10 different times at various stages of my life, and to this day I'll find myself forgetting how to do the damn things.

>>39566326
I'm aware. But the whole "might or might not get you a job" thing is actually pretty valuable in our society, hence why so many people go through the works.

I'm not under the impression that college will make me any smarter, but I do believe it's a necessity if I plan to eventually financially sustain myself.

One can be a worker and still have a personal life and/or thoughts. My father who's made millions off of multiple inventions of his went to college, so I see no reason why I shouldn't.

What makes you say that about Facebook?

>>39566383
kek'd

>>39566389
apocalypse/10

>>39566404
>implying it's easy to find experts in ones day to day life

I mean, I know how to fix a few appliances, and I will go out of my way to find out how to fix them if need be. I just don't see how any of that is crucial to what I'm talking about.

Regarding the 360 degrees, I still have no idea. Giff hint.

>>39566425
I do this a lot. I'll often take positions I don't agree with just to challenge any idea that I can. Though I could definitely do it a bit more, as again, 90% of my time is spent gaming.

>>39566471
But if it's not something I'll actively be using in a discussion, and/or processing in my day to day life, I'll forget it anyway. Why waste my time on, again, what I'd relate to trivia questions?
>>
>>39566509
>I do this a lot. I'll often take positions I don't agree with just to challenge any idea that I can. Though I could definitely do it a bit more, as again, 90% of my time is spent gaming.
You'll slowly shift away from gaming. It doesn't happen overnight, and you'll still play video games. It will just steadily become less important to you and you'll be more interested in spending your time doing other things. Developing your world view will slowly become a bigger part of your life until you're eventually relatively satisfied and only need to make minor changes to it. The development is usually a mix of arguing with other people and reading up on things you've heard that piqued your interest.
>>
/pol/ is well informed

/pol/ is not smart
>>
>>39566562
I hope so. As it stands, gaming is just too much fun.

>>39566570
>implying
>>
>>39566479
>But the fact of the matter is that it is NECESSARY to be successful in the current system. People without degrees are so much less likely to be successful in any way that it isn't worth the fucking risk. You would have to be stupid to not get it.

I dropped out of college 5 semesters in cus I was like, the fuck am I here for I'm not learning shit and this degree(Electrical Engineering) gets me jobs helping people I hate.

I'm posting from and $10000 3Dcg rendering rig I built with the money I would have spent on the last year of school.

I make good money drawing shit and making models and animating and whatnot, as well as simple metalwork that has been a hobby of mine since I was like 15. But most importantly, I have literally no boss. My time is my own, I have time to read, and learn, and improve my mental skillset, something you will not have if you work a regular job.

My way is risky yes, If no one buys my shit, and no one commissions me for stuff,I don't get paid but frankly, most things worth having come with associated risk.

You want safe, follow the beaten path, you want freedom and real success, you gotta wander off into the woods, and the woods are full of risk.

Welcome to real Capitalism.
>>
>>39566570
literally no group, as a group, is smart. luckily our group has a few intelligent individuals.
>>
>>39566604
The so-called "capitalistic" lifestyle becomes less and less relevant (and riskier) as we delve into socialism, and as products made by those outside of the companies who have monopolies on the markets become less convenient/more expensive to consume.

I'd of taken your advice 30 years ago.
>>
>>39566604
>tell someone not to cherry pick
>they proceed to cherry pick
So you're obviously not intelligent, just lucky.
>>
>>39566465
And yet it pays more than a doctor, is more respected than a doctor, and holds more power than a doctor.
>>
>>39566604
>My way is risky yes, If no one buys my shit, and no one commissions me for stuff,I don't get paid but frankly, most things worth having come with associated risk.
You're actually just retarded bro. Have fun when the economy shits all over your livelihood and you have absolutely no way to recover. The amount of things that could ruin your fragile lifestyle is staggering.

But you have fun living "free" while other people go through the system. Just don't whine when it all comes crashing down.
>>
>>39566509
>apocalypse/10

I said collapse, not apocalypse. We ARE heading towards a major economic depression easily on par with the 30s. The job sectors that are bloated right now with degrees will wither away to nothing and won't get you any further ahead when you're waiting in that bread line for your government food ration. You can already see the rapid devaluation of a degree due to market saturation and the economic downturn in 08 that's only gotten worse as the years pass. In that kind of scenario, the people who can provide essential services do alright while all the academics rely on the government, charity, or they fucking starve. None of which is ideal.

To be clear here, I'm not telling you not to get your degree, that's a different anon. But you asked why you should learn some craft or other handy skills, and that's why (at least in my opinion). I don't particularly give a shit if you want to be dismissive about it or not.
>>
you are the aids that is rotting this board from the inside out.

go back to reddit.
>>
>>39566509
The point isn't random trivia questions, it's (presumably, as I wasn't the person who originally brought up the circle) to get you to understand the viewpoint of others, the reason they make decisions, why things are the way they are.

Being able to answer why displays the highest level of learning, understanding. You're 18, so remember all that When, Where, How, What, and Why bullshit? The first four could be answered in a couple words, a sentence at most. Why needs much more, as well as a willingness to look at other perspectives, the need to be critical, and the necessary knowledge to be capable of making a decent answer.
>>
>>39566509
Your father went to college in a different time than you will, when the things taught were actually valuable.

Unless you are going to school for Math, Science or Engineering of some sort you are wasting your time. If you are going for one of those things, it can be worthwhile, but it is still nothing you could not teach yourself.

Facebook and other social media makes people devote their lives to petty meaningless drama, it actively supports and instills unthinking herd mentality and actions. It is a crippling societal addiction to updates and likes and other such bullshit. It is a siphon of time, that produces literally nothing of value aside from marketing data so that simpletons can be better deceived into falling for more bullshit.

Time spent on vidya at least trains you mind to analyze information and react quickly. Time spent on Facebook teaches people to be better sheep.
>>
>>39565522
Team Tinker always were and always have been a shit team, GTFO

No, we aren't smart, the ones who are really articulate are often the stupidest ones with the most idiotic holes in their reasoning
Take everything /pol/ says for granted. It is a hug box akin to tumblr
>>
>>39565379
I wouldn't say vidya is bad for critical thinking or general knowledge, unless you just play FPS games.

But I'm not really sure how I got to the level I am now... I DID read an awful fucking lot for most of my life, that has tapered off due to me not having a car or spare money for books. But in a month and a half I'm moving and will be within walking distance of a huge public library. Stoked.

But, I would say true smartishnessity comes from a combination of factors. Yeah, genetics play a big part, both in natural capacity and your general likes and dislikes. You really don't get smart if all you wanna do is play soccer (and there goes the ballgame for all the 3rd world countries). Your parents' childrearing style is another big factor. My parents would sit me in their laps, read a book while following along with their finger on the page, and that resulted in me reading whole books by myself by age 3, and I was already articulating complex thoughts. I'd just like to say here that my parents get 100% of the credit for that.

In the end, it's all random. You can't control the factors what make you intelligent, either environmental or hereditary. You just get some /tg/-style dice roll and you get what you get. Some people roll natural 20's, and some people live in Africa and would rather just set the game board on fire and try to fuck it in the ass. (as if they could afford it anyway)

Well proven that Africans are, going by average IQ, borderline retarded level at best, genuine 65 IQ Liberian mutants at worst.
>>
>>39566755
I'm an intellectually above average, physically fit, white male. In any event, I think I'll get by.

>>39566789
Alternatively, you can look at it as me trying to become a more intellectually productive member of the board, as opposed to just another moron spewing his shitty ill-informed opinion.

>>39566790
So the circle question= When, Where, How, What, Why? Wat

>>39566804
He went to college for two years and dropped out. Ergo, the college experience never gave him anything of value. Guess what? He's 400k in debt now since his latest en-devour has yet to be funded (to be fair he needs 10 mil to get it going). He had his good run in the late 80's-late 2000's, but now he's paying for not having a degree.

>>39566812
I saved that picture when he was in Liquid.

There's so many people on /pol/, it's hard to make that generalization.

>>39566865
Aoe 3, Dota2, Kerbal, CK2, etc. (not that it matters)

I read non-stop as a child as well, but at around 13 switched on over to vidya. All of that is of no thanks to my parents, one of them is abusive/negligent/hateful, the other is and has always been totally apathetic.
>>
>>39566737
My dad was a shop teacher, carpenter, electrician and plumber, I spent my childhood learning to fix and build things, I can repair anything electrical that doesn't have a circuit board and a great many things that do. I can rebuild literally every part of a small engine from metal ingots as long as I can get the right alloys, I can can refurbish the electrical components of automotive engines from scrap. I can do every single aspect of domestic electrical wiring and plumbing. I can do masonry, roofing, various forms of small scale construction.

I am Irish/German descended from a family of chemists, doctors, engineers and mechanics, I have spent my life making and fixing technology. When the economy finally shits the bed for real and It's not just bankers that lose money, I will be just fine, sure I wont be making useless artsy bullshit anymore for a living, but I have skills that will ALWAYS be valuable.
>>
>>39566938
Those are good intelligence-building games, I'd say. Tactics and strategy well covered.
Honestly I see Nintendo as master race, though. Nothing has ever made me rage like Pikmin 3, and puzzles/RPGs/Whatever the fuck Katamari is are more my speed for the most part. I play it all, but those are the ones I get a deep feeling of enjoyment out of. Oh, and Zelda/Mario games.
>>
>>39566804
Oh and regarding the facebook thing: I use it sort of like how I use /pol/. I like a lot of pages who's mentalities I disagree with, and then debate them. Labourball being the most prominent example of this.
>>
>>39565685
kek
>>
I think you might actually be an alternate version of me, OP. Everything about you and everything you want to learn sounds like how I feel (except for the video games. Fuck that shit). But really? All I'm seeing in this thread is-
>OP: Guys I want to be smarter, can anyone help?
>Anon1: Sure, do this and this.
>Anon2: Also do this.
>Anon3: This helped me, try this and don't give up.
>OP: No, no, and no. That sounds either too hard or senseless to me and I'm not going to even try any of it.

Nice job being a grade-A asshole, man. These people are actually trying to help you out and you're being an ungrateful little faggot about it. Don't ask for help if you're just going to denounce every shred of advice they try to give you.

Fuck you, OP.

For the anons giving useful advice and getting shat on for it, your words aren't being wasted. I'm taking note of anything I can, so thanks.
>>
>>39567261
Welcome to normalfags, 90% want spoonfed "fix me" solutions

faggots
>>
>>39565899
The problem is that you're letting others dictate your beliefs and are just respouting ideas from pol without understanding them first.
>>
>>39567261
Not really, I've only rejected a few things. And if I rejected them, I expected rebuttals to convince me otherwise. Some succeeded in doing so, others did not. Those that did not succeed weren't articulate/intelligent enough to do so, and therefore don't fall into the demographic I initially referred to in my post, thus nullifying their advice to begin with.

>>39567467
In certain cases, but I strive to understand any topic I'm taking a position on.
>>
File: 600full-frank-sinatra.jpg (41KB, 394x510px) Image search: [Google]
600full-frank-sinatra.jpg
41KB, 394x510px
I take it thread is dead. Thanks everyone for your input, and contribution to the thread.

Gonna go play some aoe, I'll read anything else posted (if it's posted) when I'm back.
>>
>>39565414

He wasn't talking to you, observant one.

I really don't think you're part of the small minority OP mentioned. Look at the way you express yourself; he's talking about people who show articulation and critical thinking.

Your poorly written knee-jerk insult is emotionally critical, not logically critical. You really think that asking someone how they do something is not a valid way to learn?

Pretentious retard.
>>
>>39565519
>Grow the fuck up

Said no one with at least a master's degree. You talk like you're still in highschool. Also I'm all for lifting, reading, and learning, unless your routine is poorly balanced and you study complete bullshit.
>>
>>39565671

Ignore this twat. People who communicate as poorly as this Anon have no clue about what they're talking about.

OP. Be conscientious and persistent. Bam, I could have saved you an entire thread worth of bullshit.

If you don't understand what conscientious means, then you should start by being conscious of your lack of understanding of conscientiousness and then cure that ignorance. Cure all of your forms of ignorance, in order of most important and relevant to least important and relevant.

Health, fitness, hygiene, independence, literacy, mathematical/programming level critical thinking, history, culture, and social competence are all pretty obvious places to grow from.

You don't have to give up videogames if you can find a productive reason to play them. I'm a self-taught developer, and while I do not play videogames all the time, I love dissecting them for their mechanics and structure.

Dissect things; do not simply consume them.
>>
>>39566938

Allow me to rattle off a bit: Maths isn't the only way to get a base in useful logic, gaming is mostly achievement porn, time is your only real resource, you need to get experience, fuck a lot of women, read your interests to death, debate your views, emulate your heroes, write from experience, speak, be creative, seek power, and do what matters, don't get addicted to anything.

You need experience to call upon and contextualise everything great and worth while; economics, philosophy, politics, literature.
>>
File: 1390422690213.jpg (26KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1390422690213.jpg
26KB, 300x300px
>>39567534

Despite you claiming otherwise, you come across as trying WAY too hard to SOUND intelligent, instead of just keeping an open mind about the advice given to you in this thread. Pick apart each response, apply it to your own life, and for fucks sake ignore that initial feeling of "hurr durr thats stupid cause it doesnt help me this second" that happens with dealing with abstract concepts. You're missing the fucking point.

Be humble bro. You sound like an ass.
>>
File: 936full-tony-banks.jpg (696KB, 936x1161px) Image search: [Google]
936full-tony-banks.jpg
696KB, 936x1161px
>>39568143
I wish I could find a productive reason to play them. But like another anon said, gaming is mostly achievement porn. But otherwise good advice, thanks.

>>39568198
>tfw addicted to gaming

>>39568207
Not really trying to do anything in particular atm, other than absorb some of the information I'm receiving. What you don't get is that simply being a member of /pol/ doesn't validate anyone's opinion, or advice. I'm not going to consume every little bit and piece of information I receive here, because that would be doing the exact opposite of what anyone striving for higher intellectual means would do.

Question everything, I knew that coming into this thread.

btw, not to be rude, but you've yet to display the levels of intellect and articulation that I specified in my initial post. You don't fall into the demographic whom I was coming to for advice, and therefore your opinion is shit to me.
>>
>>39565379
The more you read, and the more diverse the works, the more articulate you will become. It is as simple as that.

When you read, pay attention to the rhythm and cadence of language. Use your inner ear.

Buy a used kobo eink reader on ebay and torrent philosophical works, technical books, and classic literature. That will be the cheapest thing in the long run; even cheaper than trips to the library.

User inter-library loan for books you can't download.
>>
>>39568515
How do I know what to read?

Also, is it really necessary to purchase some kind of e-book? Are there no outlets online that would allow one to read it via browser, or word or some shit?
>>
>>39568400
Not the anon you were replying to, but that's fine if their opinion means nothing to you because you don't think they're intellectual or articulate enough. But enjoy continuing to be retarded. Seems like you're not really going to get much out of this thread, and your attempt to find the "secret sauce," as you put it, is futile. You're going to be in the same exact position for your entire life until you actually do something about it. Wait to knock everyone else's advice until you've actually tried it to some extent.

P.S., cut down on the fucking video games, you degenerate.
>>
Debating with others, reading a lot.

Also have good genetics, parents are both really smart.
>>
>>39565379
Read. Think about what you read. Most importantly, when something confuses you, don't fucking ask for help, try to solve it with the information at your disposal. If you don't have the information you need, look for it using what you do have. Once you've come up with something, attack it yourself. Only after you've exhausted all of these avenues towards building an opinion should you approach others and share what you have, because without doing so, you lack the tools to critically analyze what other people are telling you; it may as well be gospel.
>>
>>39568650
Who's advice have I knocked on? The guy who told me to quit college? The guy who told me it's important to know why a circle is 360 degrees? Fuck yes I'm going to question that shit.

>>39568685
But again, what to read.
>>
>>39565379
>Is it age? I'm 18

Yes. Age as it equates to life experience.

There comes a point where you start to realize your parents/elders were completely right about some things and completely wrong about other things and you have to accept and adjust your mental and emotional framework in order to not go insane. This is when you realize you're an adult now.
>>
>>39568637
I find an eink display is easier on the eyes and allows me to read faster than screen reading. Back-lit displays strain your eyes over time. Your mileage may vary.

Ideally you'd want everything on paper, but it takes space and costs money and time to collect. I used to prefer print material, but I had to admit to the superiority of a decent eink reader after awhile. Print is still the only medium in which you'll find some titles. Again, inter-library loan is your friend when you find yourself when something rarer makes your reading list.

As to your first question, look at the stickies for /lit/, /sci/, and /g/. They're actually not bad as staring points.
>>
>>39565379
listen to this and all will become clear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJvlKza3yJo
>>
>>39568400

You're 18. You don't know half as much as you think you do about the way the world works.

What you lack isn't intelligence, it's the wisdom that comes from experience, and the ability to differentiate between the two.
>>
>>39568786
I'll look into that stuff.

>>39568792
gj

>>39568797
Well that's demoralizing.
>>
>>39568758
Everything and anything, dude. People who recommend you a specific course of material are trying to indoctrinate you just as much as the people who spoon-feed you dumbed-down "answers" to your questions, just with an extra smell of authority. Read the news. Read classical literature, read the NYT Sunday Book Review. Read awful books, and books that you disagree with. Afterward, discuss it with others. This is how you grow and learn.
>>
>>39565379
in all seriousness

why does it matter?
>>
>>39568894
Yeah fair enough.

>>39568897
I want to better myself.
>>
>>39568970
then better yourself

if you want to be knowledgeable go read a book, go to a library, enroll in university

if you want to better yourself you have to at least put in the effort
>>
>>39565379

You're 18, give it a few years before you start worrying. Reading a lot does help with your literacy but so does thinking about what you're going to say and always re-evaluating as you write.

If you have any hobbies or skills then delve into them as deep as you can; the crossover from mastery in one area to the rest of your life is significant - learning how to be incredible at something teaches you how to learn properly.

And lastly, have some confidence in yourself, if you give off an air of security then people will see what they expect to see in you. I know a lot of people who would be very smart if they hand't doubted themselves out of contention when they were young.
>>
>>39568970
As an addendum, I know that putting it like that makes it seem incredibly daunting and boring, but once you get it into a habit to even just read a couple of news sources regularly, you'll pick up steam. Intellect builds on itself. Once you've whetted your appetite (and perhaps even discovered that you had that appetite at all), curiosity alone will pull you onward.
>>
File: wat.gif (2MB, 635x464px) Image search: [Google]
wat.gif
2MB, 635x464px
>>39568400

>asks how to be more articulate
>anon points out how awkwardly forcing overdescriptive words into your sentences makes you sound pretentious
>you dont understand my genius get on my level pleb
>>
>>39565379
>tl;dr How do you become smarter?
Never stop thinking and researching. Take up programming if you haven't already because it makes for both a highly abstract way of looking at things while breaking them down into their base components and a great tool to further your research (I really couldn't give you a number on the total one-off scripts and programs I've written for things like cross referencing nuclear isotopes while doing research if I tried - well into the tens of thousands is about the best estimate I could get). If you get bored take up teaching yourself a new discipline or further refining one you already know. Videogames are OK in moderation and can actually improve your reflexes but don't overdo it. Generally speaking if the majority of people believe something it's wrong so don't be afraid to go off track.
>>
>>39568758
I'm not going to sift through this whole thread and find every instance of you knocking or semi-knocking someone's advice, but a couple examples come to mind.

For example, you didn't think it would be useful for you to learn any kind of craft or other skills, since you're a physically fit, white male, or however you put it. Crazy thing, but that's not going to get you as far as you think. Every bit of information you learn is going to help you become this intelligent person you want to become. You might not think it's ever going to come in handy for you to learn how to fix a fucking broken blender or something like that, and maybe it isn't. But the experience and knowledge you gain from learning how to do that will strengthen you in a number of ways, even if they're small. Once you successfully learn how to do one thing, you can apply it to other things in your life, and it won't take you so long to learn future skills, because you're conditioning yourself to learn things at a faster pace.

As for the whole wondering why a circle is 360 degrees, Jesus Christ. Don't take it so literally. I think it was more about just questioning the universe. The more you question things, the more you search for answers. The more you search for answers, the more answers you'll find, and the wiser you will become.

My point is either take their advice or ignore it. But don't tell someone their advice is stupid when you haven't tried it nor have any examples of why it would be bad
>>
>>39569150
>perceiving relatively articulate statements as pretentious
ur right lets just talk like this to avoid sounding 2 smart lol. fuckign nerds amiright

>>39569069
Of course, having to put in the effort is implied. That's why I'm here asking where to put said effort.

>>39569071
Idk, my hobbies and skills are gaming and /pol/-esque stuff. I don't see how mastering either will get me anywhere. I'd like to find a new hobby, but that's easier said than done. I just find gaming and debating to be superior to almost everything, including sex, traveling, work, etc. It's actually pretty debilitating now that I think about it.

>>39569126
Not really, I enjoy doing it. I just don't do it often enough. I'll find myself devoting a few minutes to reading something, but then subsequently spending the next 5 or 6 hours on gaming.

>>39569199
Isn't programming math related?
>>
>>39568637

Go to the library first and read all the great books from antiquity - there are only like 100, they won't be that interesting until you've given in to some of your desires and had some sort of struggle to overcome. Otherwise you will be thinking "why does this even matter? when other people my age are living a life full of fun and sex."
>>
>>39569348
so you're asking people who know nothing about you to tell you where you should put your own interests?
>>
>>39568970

>wants to better self
>ignores advice he doesn't like because it requires too much work

sure is spoiled rich kid in here
>>
>>39569348
>Isn't programming math related?
It's much more logical in nature. I've written 3D math libraries and 3D engines and n-dimensional computational libraries and all kinds of shit that would make my head spin if it were something as archaic as written math and didn't bat an eye at it. To say "programming is math" is kind of like saying "math isn't supremely autistic in nature". Algorithmically the world makes a Hell of a lot more sense than algebraicaly (check out Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science if you'd like more on that subject written in excrutiating detail). Nobody likes math, Einstein didn't even like math. Math is literally like trying to fit the entire universe's rules into a single finite highly obfuscated structure whereas it all makes fuckloads more sense in algorithmic form with the occassional equation thrown in here or there.
>>
File: adios.jpg (47KB, 576x589px) Image search: [Google]
adios.jpg
47KB, 576x589px
>>39569348

>thinks bloated sentences and using big words out of context is coherent
>>
>>39569346
You're taking what he said out of context. He was saying I should drop out of college and learn these things so that I would be able to "live off the land" so to speak.

That being said, perhaps it was that context that threw me off the idea entirely. I agree that learning a craft is imperative to intellectually bettering oneself, and it's something I'll look into.

The circle shit was vague pseudo-philosophical gibberish, that's not what I came here for.

>>39569356
I tried reading Aristotle once, couldn't comprehend a thing. He speak in a bunch of unnecessary metaphors, and the idea would get lost over time.

Also, I'm not under the perception that my age group is enjoying life more than me because they're having more fun/sex than I am. As a self-diagnosed schizoid, I've come to the conclusion that knowledge/intellect is my equivalent to the aforementioned pleasures my peers find themselves indulging in. In laymen terms, it matters because it matters to me. So that question has already been answered and discarded.

>>39569377
Idk, I guess man. Ideas moreso than anything.

>>39569419
so much samefagging in this thread holy shit

>>39569518
Where would I start, assuming I found it even remotely interesting?

>>39569606
>big words out of context
Enlighten me anon.
>>
>>39569667
>You're taking what he said out of context. He was saying I should drop out of college and learn these things so that I would be able to "live off the land" so to speak.
>That being said, perhaps it was that context that threw me off the idea entirely.

That's the whole point I'm trying to make, and I think other people have mentioned it to some extent in this thread. You can't take everyone's advice word-for-word. That would make things too easy, and you'd probably end up fucking something up because you tried something that couldn't be applied in the situation you're in. Everyone's situation is different, so everyone's pieces of advice are going to be different. That doesn't mean the advice won't work for you, it just means you're going to have to tweak it a bit in order for it to work. If you don't want to drop out of college or live off the land, that's all great. But that doesn't mean you should disregard his advice entirely. You can still take his advice and learn an array of different skills without devoting your life to them.

You said that you agree and it's something you'll look into, so saying all that doesn't really matter anymore, but I still wanted to get my point across.

For the advice that's good, take it. For the advice that's kinda good but has flaws, just take the good parts out of it. For the advice that sounds worthless to you, don't take it, but also don't tell people it's bad advice, because you can't be sure until you've put it to use.
>>
>>39569975
Fair enough.
>>
>>39565379
are you from /mg/?
>>
>>39570202
What's that.
>>
>>39570241
just a wild card. nevermind.
>>
File: 124234242425.jpg (10KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
124234242425.jpg
10KB, 224x225px
>>39569667

>Also, I'm not under the perception that my age group is enjoying life more than me because they're having more fun/sex than I am. As a self-diagnosed schizoid, I've come to the conclusion that knowledge/intellect is my equivalent to the aforementioned pleasures my peers find themselves indulging in. In laymen terms, it matters because it matters to me. So that question has already been answered and discarded.

TL;DR Version: Acquiring knowledge is more important to me than sex, but reading is for fags. LOL

The amount of unnecessary padding you add to your posts in an attempt to sound intelligent just makes you come across as sophomoric. Are you sure you don't have a legitimate form of autism or something?
>>
>>39570270
you can pursue knowledge without reading books.

It just means that you'll be running the marathon with a leg behind your back.

And as long as he doesn't suppress that knowledge and aknowledges it, then he isn't being a hypocrite. He's walking down a mediocre road without ambition. just that.
>>
>>39567998
Look at this fruitbowl hambone trying to fit the role.
>>
>/pol/ smart
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHSHSHHAHAHAHSHSHSHSHHSHAHAHJFKFIJFJGJJGUIFIRJHCJJAHDUUFUFUJFJJFIUFJIFIJFHJFUJFIJF
>>
>>39570270
When did I even remotely imply reading is for fags?

As for my padding sounding sophmoric, k. I'm 18, as long as I have the necessary arsenal of words, I can work on improving how I use them over the course of my life. However if I don't use those words, my vocabulary will inevitably decrease, and I'll be unable to articulate my thoughts.

Nah, I have ADHD, that's about it. And again, I'm a self-diagnosed schizoid.
>>
>>39570309

Agreed, but I'm trying to get the point across that the more effort he puts into trying to "talk smart," the stupider he sounds overall.

A useful piece of wisdom that would help out his situation more than reading any political/philosophical book would do.
>>
File: 1406298521364.jpg (541KB, 1143x1133px) Image search: [Google]
1406298521364.jpg
541KB, 1143x1133px
>>39570450

>speaks with a bloated vocabulary he doesn't fully understand
>wonders why he cant articulate his thoughts properly

But keep ignoring my point though because it doesn't meet your standards of "intellect and articulation."

Refer to >>39570490
>>
File: cool-starry-bra.jpg (87KB, 500x367px) Image search: [Google]
cool-starry-bra.jpg
87KB, 500x367px
>>39565379
Nice blog bro.

>tl;dr How do you become smarter?
lurkmoar
>>
>>39565379
read books do drugs
>>
>>39570640
Bloated yes, but I don't use words I don't understand. I'll again urge you to point out any example of the latter.

I didn't say I can't articulate my thoughts properly, I'm saying the way I do it can and will be improved upon with time.

You still haven't made any viable points. One of the reasons you're in that category to begin with :^)

Good to see you're self-aware enough to realize you've not met those standards though.

>>39570695
deffo
>>
>>39570748
you understand this right?

http://www.reddit.com/r/iamverysmart/
>>
File: 3739069daa42c1ab9abf064b27878.jpg (2MB, 2862x2137px) Image search: [Google]
3739069daa42c1ab9abf064b27878.jpg
2MB, 2862x2137px
>>39570788
>reddit link
>>
>>39565899

Good response to my quote -

All I was >implying was basically moral fiber, truth, freedom, basics-
>>
File: I PASSED THE AUTISM TEST.jpg (545KB, 1143x1133px) Image search: [Google]
I PASSED THE AUTISM TEST.jpg
545KB, 1143x1133px
>>39570640

GUYS GUYZ GUISE

I PASSED THE AUTISM TEST

THAT IS ALL
>>
>>39570891
provide me with an alternative to an archive of that subject

or should i say

would you kindly acquist a surrogate database pertaining to said subject
>>
>>39570987
For what purpose would I be doing this?
>>
File: 1403952145976.png (239KB, 1087x351px) Image search: [Google]
1403952145976.png
239KB, 1087x351px
>>39570748

>Admits that he writes in a bloated, incoherent style
>Admits what he writes comes off as sophomoric
>Claims I haven't made any viable points
>>
>>39570975
Is this bait? You missed a door.
>>
>>39571106

How new are you?
>>
listen to contrapuntal music..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8MpkPbaWXg
>>
>>39570975
>missed a door
>>
File: 1361180469486.jpg (12KB, 220x300px) Image search: [Google]
1361180469486.jpg
12KB, 220x300px
>>39571078
>implying a "point" that I had already accepted and pointed out myself is viable and/or constructive.
>>
>>39571059

see

>>39570748

the best way to speak is to do it simply
>>
File: Wbkdq1j.jpg (48KB, 500x351px) Image search: [Google]
Wbkdq1j.jpg
48KB, 500x351px
>>39571200

>Being this retarded
>>
File: 1358264351922.jpg (42KB, 500x584px) Image search: [Google]
1358264351922.jpg
42KB, 500x584px
>>39571214
wat

>>39571280
:^)
>>
>>39569667
>Where would I start, assuming I found it even remotely interesting?
Think of something you want to make and start making it. It will probably be hacked together as all shit if it ever even gets done but you'll learn a lot in the process.
>>
File: 1378936740249.jpg (71KB, 500x442px) Image search: [Google]
1378936740249.jpg
71KB, 500x442px
>>39571331

>this isn't the most articulate post you've made all thread
>>
File: 1385635752937.jpg (140KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1385635752937.jpg
140KB, 640x480px
>>39571370
No like, programming 101. I know pretty much zero about programming. What are good outlets for beginners?

>>39571394
r u trying to rival my memes
>>
File: 1394516646566.jpg (137KB, 548x493px) Image search: [Google]
1394516646566.jpg
137KB, 548x493px
>>39571476

get on my lvl scrub
>>
I've seen in the /pol/ recommend books pics the Propaganda by Edward Bernays, anyone read already? Is it a good reading?
>>
File: 1390251774427.jpg (101KB, 700x738px) Image search: [Google]
1390251774427.jpg
101KB, 700x738px
>>39571544
>>
>>39565379
git gud faggot
>>
>>39565379
It's very simple, anon. Just start worshipping Nazis and police officers and you'll be 90% of the way there. It's the secret to/pol/'s "intelligence."
>>
>>39571476
>No like, programming 101. I know pretty much zero about programming. What are good outlets for beginners?
I just told you, pick a project you want to do and start doing it. Just Google for answers on how to do specific things. You'll probably accomplish little to nothing towards the project in the first week or month even if you think you are getting a lot done but you'll learn a lot. The only way to really learn is to just dive in - sink or swim.
>>
just popped over from b to find this giant /pol/ circle jerk thread about how smart you all are! "Na Man Your Smart!!" *fapfapfap!! "No You Are Smart!" *fapfapfap!!! "Man We Are All So Smart!!" *fapfapfapfap!!!! "Oh Man! We Are Going To Spew Our Smartness All Over Our Monitors!!!!! *fapfapfapfapfap!!!!!
Ps. Nigger
>>
File: 5740_1132839993705_5413088_n.jpg (53KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
5740_1132839993705_5413088_n.jpg
53KB, 604x453px
>>39571656
A project? What can one even program? Or are you not using that term in its literal sense?
>>
File: sisko.gif (245KB, 400x301px) Image search: [Google]
sisko.gif
245KB, 400x301px
>>39571633
>>
>>39565379

4chan thinks my link is spam but you should Google "Avant-Garde Reactionary Book Collection"

Everyone dedicating paragraphs wishy washy life advice is a fag and a hypocrite.
>>
File: Americamasterace.jpg (12KB, 420x312px) Image search: [Google]
Americamasterace.jpg
12KB, 420x312px
/pol/ is always right ALWAAAAAAYSSSS
Nationalism is good, liberals are bad better dead than red, jewery is bad, ron paul was the messiah, what a fine weather we have here.
>>
File: 1393286356663.gif (2MB, 320x165px) Image search: [Google]
1393286356663.gif
2MB, 320x165px
>>39571738

>>39571748
Will do anon. Though the title sounds extremely...fedoraish.
>>
>>39571731
Pick something. A chat client, a crypto currency, a website, a data application of some kind - whatever would interest you personally.
>a game isn't likely to be the best starter project, but if you pick something simple it won't be terrible
>>
>>39565379
I second all of the people telling you to read often and varied things.

My tip is to always have a few books on the go with varying difficulties, so when you are feeling productive you pick up the pure philosophy/technical work and when you are feeling lazy you can read the easy to read current affairs/business book.

I really recommend getting a good grounding in logic, it allows you to better analyse everything else you read, and also makes your own reasoning much clearer. The best way of going about this is chronologically, as everyone's work is essentially refuting the person/s before them. If you struggle reading old/technical texts reading others interpretations/reading guides of it is fine.

I've been reading a lot since I was about 15 and these days go through probably a book every two weeks during semester, probably three a fortnight during my holidays.

Also get a subscription to The Economist, preferably in physical form (it's pretty cheap if you can sort out a student discount) as you'll actually read it then (actually try and buy everything when you can, the sunk cost fallacy will make you read it). The way they write and analyse the world is a good starting point. I'm a little bit further down the rabbithole these days but it helped me a lot.
>>
>>39571780
And you sound like a redditor. Get the fuck out.
>>
>>39571748
>muh appeal to authority
>>39571780
Whatever you do don't listen to that faggot.
>>
>>39565379

Don't worry OP if you like Caravan you can't be that far gone.
>>
>>39571555
It's good in the context of wider understanding of the world.
Plus it's super short so will only take an afternoon.
>>
File: L'Heptade.jpg (117KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
L'Heptade.jpg
117KB, 600x600px
>>39571805
I guess

>>39571811
Isn't the Economist written by a bunch of shills?

>>39571823
k

>>39571851
Yeah, since he went on to call me a redditor (I believe it was him anyway), I think I'll take your advice.

>>39571880
gud band
>>
File: Truth.jpg (22KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
Truth.jpg
22KB, 500x300px
pro tip, chances are you aren't fucking mentally deficient and need some else to tell you how things are, use common sense.
>>
File: 1417612323876.jpg (678KB, 1143x1133px) Image search: [Google]
1417612323876.jpg
678KB, 1143x1133px
>>39570975
Yes I know the image was bait.
>>
If /pol/ impresses you, you need to stop browsing 4chan immediately and start reading books.
>>
>>39571903
>Isn't the Economist written by a bunch of shills?

If you ask delusional people on the internet yes.

If you ask people who work in academia they will say it's a good first step.

They have a bias (classical liberalism) but always admit it.

The writing is great and they are able to explain complex things simply, which allows you to understand them if you aren't informed in the field and shows you how to do the same.
>>
>>39565379

read a lot. learn about logic (formal and informal reasoning). take courses like physics, gen chemistry, calculus that help you with formal reasoning. develop a clean and direct writing style. most important think i would say is to read good books and don't take shitblogs seriously., stay away from moldbug and most of the nrx garbage unless they have actual scholarly qualifications. because they are illiterates and you will look like one too if you rely on them for understanding things.
>>
>>39571882
Thanks, I'll get a copy today, it's been like 2 weeks since I read something, feels like forever.
>>
>>39565379
read.
read some more.
keep reading.
ask yourself questions about what you are reading.

And as one anon mentioned, I have always been smarter than most people. I was reading before I started kindergarten, started reading the World Book Encyclopedia in the first grade, ie. grabbed the A volume and started at the first article.

And have been reading every since.
Read the web, the left wing stuff, the right wing stuff, the libertarian stuff, the science, tech, politics, read editorials, read comments, read, read, read.

Do not watch TV. If there is some show you like, download it and watch it without commercials, and without the passiveness of mindlessly allowing multinational corporations fill your head with bullshit.

Follow the money. Whenever there is a big media explosion on some subject, look for who profits, and why.

Cross reference the stuff you read, check sources, seek multiple viewpoints.

In short, you have to exert energy and effort, along with time.
>>
File: 1361131041376.jpg (129KB, 488x500px) Image search: [Google]
1361131041376.jpg
129KB, 488x500px
>>39572049
Luckily I've already started by having been following their twitter for a while Kappa.

>>39572077
I'm still trying to get through basic algebra, and I'm in college.

>>39572152
>follow the money
Interesting point.
>>
>>39570975
Missed two doors.

>>39571953
Missed a door.
>>
>>39572115
Reading in conjunction with Adam Curtis' Century of the Self (http://vimeo.com/85948693) is pretty amazing.
>>
>>39565379
>I play video games all day when I'm not in college,
In college you should be reading text books, researching the references, reading those, checking their references and reading those.

You have libraries at your disposal, instead you play a stupid game, until you are finish college you should not play games, except sports that help to make you fitter, mentally, and spiritually.

> Read an academic book.
> Make a list of the references
> Read all the references
> keep doing this and you will become an intellectual powerhouse
>>
When you get btfo dozens of times you learn how to make better arguments. Its really that simple.
>>
>>39572249
You are being a bit unrealistic considering how our brains have been molded by the 21st century but you make a good point.

Whenever you read something that interests you and is referenced, track the work down and bunny hop your way around. It's often how I find what to read and is also part of my strategy for researching academically.
>>
>>39572186
>Luckily I've already started by having been following their twitter for a while Kappa.

First step: Stop using Twitter.
>>
File: 1361131077052.png (633KB, 537x545px) Image search: [Google]
1361131077052.png
633KB, 537x545px
>>39572382
I don't really, which is why I almost didn't bother to mention it.
>>
never stop learning, reading, and never consider yourself smart. always be humble and willing to learn even if you are a master in your subject. if you can't explain something in the simplest terms possible, you probably don't know too much about it.
>>
>>39572186
money follows power, and power accumulates money. And what drives the world is power.

When you know who profits, then you can figure out what the next step is, and how to utilize that next step to profit yourself.

Knowledge is great, the anons speaking of learning basic chemistry, logic, etc, have good ideas, but knowledge just for knowledge, is sort of a waste of energy and time.

Learn the stuff, but put it to use to make yourself a better person and a richer person.

A couple of years ago I was reading some proposed EPA regulations on the production of CFCs and HCFCs. They were leaning towards the idea of drastically reducing the manufacture of these, and were seeking public comments. The public comments were mostly left wing environmental nutjobs screaming it wasn't enough, that the EPA needed to ban the production. There wasn't any real opposition from the big manufacturers of these refrigerants or of equipment manufacturers, either.

I bought 100 30 pound cylinders of R-22 at 90 bucks a cylinder and put them in the storage area of my shop.

A little over a year later, the EPA announced drastic reductions in the amount of production, and R-22 went from 120 bucks for a 30 pound jug to 350 bucks a jug over the week end. Over the next two months, the price went to almost 400 bucks.

I sold my 100 jugs at 250 a jug. Being that I bought them for cash, and sold them for cash, I netted 16000 dollars in profit, which being honest, is a very good return for investing 9000 bucks for approximately 15 months.
>>
>>39572429
Using twitter and social media is fine, just don't pretend that it's anything but unproductive fun/stress relief.
>>
File: 1361131113252.png (633KB, 537x545px) Image search: [Google]
1361131113252.png
633KB, 537x545px
>>39572571
So we're talking about me formulating an algorithm of logic that I'd apply to any given concept.

Right?
>>
>>39565379
Critical thinking. Make poking logical holes in strong arguments and building counter-arguments into a habit. ESPECIALLY arguments you agree with, I can't stress this enough; without this, instead of critical thinking you become a one-man echo chamber. Do this internally unless you really feel the need to speak up, or you'll be rightly branded a contrarian know-it-all.
>>
>>39565379
Back in my youth I used the internet to learn and search out my knowledge, not tweet or write facebook statuses.
>>
>>39565379
You can't become smarter really. The best think you can do is eat well and exercise.
>>
File: 1361131147419.png (477KB, 538x549px) Image search: [Google]
1361131147419.png
477KB, 538x549px
>>39572864
So I suppose the best way to start would be familiarizing one self with logical fallacies and what not.
>>
>>39571748
>Is it possible to learn this knowledge?
>Not from a Jedi...

This is a treasure-trove, Anon. Many of these were on my buy/rent list. Do you know where I can find more?
>>
>>39573049
God no.

Actually, that was too strong of a gut reaction. People tend to misuse logical fallacies, using them to deflect the opinions of others through rote memorization of common language tropes, without actually thinking for themselves about what the argument really is, what the person really means, and why that might be right or wrong.

If anything, apply logical fallacies to your own thoughts. When applying them to the thoughts of others, it becomes all to easy to fall into petty self-aggrandizement.

Focus on the meanings, thoughts, motivations, and beliefs behind the words. Focus on the worldviews of the people taking that stance, and what led them there. Think about what is right and why, what is wrong and why, apply that process to your own opinions, and NEVER be afraid to change them, or admit your own foolishness or naivete. The first step to wisdom it to know yourself a fool, the last step is to remember the first.
>>
File: 1361131179297.jpg (228KB, 488x500px) Image search: [Google]
1361131179297.jpg
228KB, 488x500px
>>39573175
This has been my mentality for the last few years really, it's definitely helped.
>>
>>39565379
>and I want to know this now.

nothing is what I want

Dear anon, one thing I have learned that I can pass on to you is do not be afraid to be wrong. You will make mistakes in any new endeavor. I take comfort when I am wrong in the fact that I learned something new. Its not a mistake it is an educational experience.

dubito ergo cogito ergo sum
>>
File: 7wunr916.png (2MB, 1143x1133px) Image search: [Google]
7wunr916.png
2MB, 1143x1133px
>>39570640

What do I win?
>>
>>39572778
No. I am speaking about using the knowledge you pick up from always reading to make connections that are not always obvious.

Seeing the big picture using little pieces, is where you make money. Seeing a and b, then being able to infer that c and d is going to come next, without it being blasted upon the airwaves and interwebs, is the thing you should be seeking.
>>
>>39566068
>how am i going to make a living if i dont finish school

anon im 21 and have decided college isnt my cup of tea. i applied to an IT consulting firm and all they want me to do it get a good grasp on access and theyll offer me a job for 40k a year starting with my current skills
>>
File: 1361131212154.jpg (263KB, 640x661px) Image search: [Google]
1361131212154.jpg
263KB, 640x661px
>>39573507
Ah okay. Easier said than done tho, often times.

>>39573559
Exception the rule.
>>
Also, on the topic of your vocabulary, remember that brevity is the soul of wit.

A heightened vocabulary is useful primarily for compressing half a dozen common words worth of thought into two less common ones. Doing this as a function of efficient expression, rather than as a sickly verbal flourish, is the better way.

Unless of course you're writing a college paper with a bloated word limit. Learning how to spew clever-sounding empty bullshit comes in handy there, from experience.
>>
File: trough.jpg (466KB, 1143x1133px) Image search: [Google]
trough.jpg
466KB, 1143x1133px
>>39570640

You faggots never read the instructions.
>>
>>39573626
i had 4 job offers, i took this one since it paid more and was more suited to me. lie on your resume if you need to about your work history, just have the skills to back it up, and if you dont have the skills to back it up, pretend like you do until you learn them from the job.

learn to sell yourself. ive been tinkering with computers since i was 11 years old since there was one in the house and we couldnt afford to replace/repair it. so i did whatever i could with shoestrings and gum. as i got older i did more, i expanded my experience, and i got some solid stuff i can put on a resume.

then i sent the resume out when i felt i was old enough to be taken seriously, and now here i am.
>>
File: 1361131244857.png (306KB, 565x599px) Image search: [Google]
1361131244857.png
306KB, 565x599px
>>39573780
Interesting point anon, I never looked at it that way.

>>39573827
This all sounds awfully shady, and unreliable.
>>
>>39565379
OP where do you live? General area will suffice.
>>
File: 1361131280643.png (399KB, 488x500px) Image search: [Google]
1361131280643.png
399KB, 488x500px
>>39573912
Austin TX. Why?
>>
>>39573876
>sounds awfully shady and unreliable
what, my experience? experience is experience, my resume history is genuine. gaps that arent covered by employment or contract work with small, just starting businesses who needed training on their POS, cables run and their intranet working correcting are covered by "freelance repair", aka i advertise myself on google for computer repair and router troubleshooting and replacing ink for people who arent smart enough to know how to turn their printers off
>>
>>39573827
>so i did whatever i could with shoestrings and gum.

Are you talking literally or figuratively here, bruh?
>>
>>39573970
gotta keep the case together somehow
>>
>>39573953
Just wondering. I've been following this thread since the beginning, checking it every so often in between cramming for some of my college classes. Didn't know if you were up all night like me or if this is actually how you spent your days, not that it would matter.

Anyway, good luck with getting more articulate n that.
>>
File: 1361131313538.png (101KB, 175x313px) Image search: [Google]
1361131313538.png
101KB, 175x313px
>>39573955
Lying on resumes and what not, is what I was referring to. Anyway, it's not my path, trust me.

>>39574085
Haha, thanks.
>>
>>39574319
Thats fine, Im just letting you know theres more paths to success than a college degree.
>>
File: 1361131345650.png (102KB, 175x313px) Image search: [Google]
1361131345650.png
102KB, 175x313px
>>39574479
Oh yeah, I certainly know that. But I like college personally because it also gives me an oppertunity to focus on other stuff during its duration, since not a lot of time goes into college itself.
>>
File: 1416243232751.jpg (7KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
1416243232751.jpg
7KB, 250x187px
>
>>
>>39565379
The first step is to not ask /pol/ of all places how to get smarter.
>>
File: 299258_2105901199627_1393228_n.jpg (84KB, 538x720px) Image search: [Google]
299258_2105901199627_1393228_n.jpg
84KB, 538x720px
>>39574873

>>39575072
I'll go ask reddit instead.
>>
>>39574873
>Red pill is now fairy tales

Oh man, this has to be bait, even religious people aren't THAT stupid
>>
>>39574319
>Lying on resumes and what not,

there is an art to a resume' you don't lie, but you will need to be creative.

>tfw trying to explain how I gained experience troubleshooting and repairing hydraulic equipment working as a television broadcast engineer

experience is experience anon, and learning to sell yourself in a resume is what it's all about.
>>
File: 1386277864815.jpg (22KB, 282x375px) Image search: [Google]
1386277864815.jpg
22KB, 282x375px
>>39575222
Luckily I won't need to know all this for like 4-5 years, since college.
>>
>>39565379
>How do you become smarter?
You don't.
Being "smart" is inborn. You can read books, soak knowledge, get degrees, but if you aren't smart, you will be just a dumb motherfucker with a college degree and bunch of knowledge you can't possibly put to practical use.
>>
>>39575194
Red pill is now accepting a codex of moral rules not because "fairly tale" told you so, but because those rules have value.
>>
File: Frank Zappa 2.jpg (210KB, 748x858px) Image search: [Google]
Frank Zappa 2.jpg
210KB, 748x858px
>>39575526
>practical use
>implying life is limited to practicalities
>>
>>39575605
Yeah enjoy writing out your complex calculations on a piece of paper for no real reason.
>>
>>39565379
Read more. My gf just remarked about how no one knows shit about nothing except me. I'm sitting here watching Swedish parliament with translations. Read more, and tell people who don't know shit to do the same. Also drink more water.
>>
Keep arguing with people anonymously, for many years, trying to adhere to good logic and debate protocols.

It will sharpen your critical thinking and analytical skills.

Also, play devil's advocate, all the time.
>>
File: 1390800932330.jpg (367KB, 500x725px) Image search: [Google]
1390800932330.jpg
367KB, 500x725px
>>39575658
It entertains me, that's the reason.

>>39575699
Valid point, but women's opinions don't matter, you should know this by now anon. Also, I've always been more akin to following British politics. I feel as though something big will happen there soon, if something is to happen.

>>39575767
Mhm.
>>
>>39575852
UKIP is gaining headway lately so yeah. Just watch Nigel go
>>
>>39575931
It's amazing to me that a party like Ukip is mainstream in the UK, whereas it would never fly in the US. Shows how far gone we are.
>>
>>39576044
Yep I love Nigel. Search Europa rises in YouTube...there's a augment on there where he talks...soooooo based. and yeah it does show how far gone the US is
>>
File: 1361169594507.jpg (807KB, 2641x2084px) Image search: [Google]
1361169594507.jpg
807KB, 2641x2084px
>>39576380
Will do
>>
File: 1361215219083.jpg (323KB, 1170x1175px) Image search: [Google]
1361215219083.jpg
323KB, 1170x1175px
>>39576380
Couldn't find it tho
>>
>>39576572
EUROPA RISES - EUROPEAN NATIONALISM 2014: http://youtu.be/t6r6IvOuc50

The whole video is vet good beside Nifela part...goosebumps inducing
>>
>>39576652
Fucking phone..sorry for typos
>>
>>39576652
kk thanks, will watch now.
>>
>>39565899
The only useful thing college provides is good training in the scientific method.

If you're not STEM, don't college.

Literally every other major is readily accessible at your nearest library (for the arts find a mentor.)

You can venture into things like business/finance, agriculture, or law in grad school (The last one is highly not recommended because of massive market oversaturation, but it's a valid and respectable graduate degree) if you STEM undergrad. But you should stick with stem.

College does get you nicer jobs with more monies which makes life a little more convenient for independent acquisition of knowledge.

If you must college, either be born rich, get scholarships (not hard. wish they would tell us all in HS how stupid easy HS is so we don't get cocky) or save 90-150% of your entire tuition costs by working before school.

Do not go into debt for school. Unless you're a master scholar studying stem, its a stupid choice.
>>
File: 1382790976602.jpg (218KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1382790976602.jpg
218KB, 600x600px
>>39576652
Reminds me a bit of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUyDcGSMPEQ

Also a great video.

>>39576822
>born rich

yup.
>>
File: image.jpg (503KB, 2448x1836px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
503KB, 2448x1836px
>>39565379
Graduate with a stem degree. Take a stats class and hopefully you will learn to analyze data and be able to read scientific and legal documents for yourself. If you ever read an article sourcing a journal or governmental report, read it for yourself. Also, try to go back and read the books that you had to read in highschool as well as reviewing basic grammar. Other than that, stay updated with current events and always be aware of how much you actually know about a subject. One of the best ways to find this out is to teach someone a subject that you think you have mastered or that you want to master. The idea is that they will ask you questions that you cannot answer and need to review. I was required to do this in my freshman year of college when my chemistry prof started giving out free response questions for 40% of the test. Best of luck to you man and sorry if I misspelled anything or sounded nonsensical (on a heavy dose or percocets)
>>
>>39565379
18 year olds are dumb, you're going to learn a lot and change a lot over the next 5 years. Or at least you should.

>Is it my lack of reading?
Yes. Read more you dumb fuck.

>and have both had salaries of up to 250k+
Are they paying for all your shit right now?
>>
>>39569667
>Also, I'm not under the perception
I think "under the impression" is more appropriate.

But anyway,
Dude, everyone is right, you sound like a try-hard pseudo-intellectual.

There's nothing wrong with using big words but with the way you're typing it sounds very deliberate and unnatural, like you have a thesaurus open in another browser and you're just throwing out extra syllables in an obvious attempt to appear smarter.
>>
>>39571805
A website is a great project for a beginner.

It's pretty easy to get something going with straight HTML that shows immediate results. Adding in javascript/jquery can be the next step for getting into more complicated programming.
>>
>>39565379
>Is it that I'm genetically inclined to only be able to retain a set amount of words/concepts?
If you start believing that then you've put the chains on yourself.
Its hard work, it was always hard work, it will always be hard work. Talent and IQ can usually be overcome by dedication and time. The true death of intelligence is laziness, especially in the form of zealotry.
>>
File: 1361239774536.jpg (27KB, 400x302px) Image search: [Google]
1361239774536.jpg
27KB, 400x302px
>>39577184
Nope, good advice, thanks anon.

>>39577236
They are indeed paying for my shit :^)

>>39577419
>"you sound like a tryhard pseudo-intellectual"
>not seeing the irony in that statement

>>39577464
I wouldn't know where to begin. Fucking godaddy? Don't they do sites or some shit? Where do you even make websites.

>>39577489
>hard work
That's the hard part now isn't it.
>>
>>39565379

READ THE SOURCE. ALWAYS.
>>
>>39565379
I am groot
>>
>>39577559
Well it wouldn't be called hard work if it was easy.
>>
>>39577153
>r34 on Christ

JESUS CONFIRMED FOR EXISTING
>>
File: 1409244071953.jpg (465KB, 500x708px) Image search: [Google]
1409244071953.jpg
465KB, 500x708px
>>39578046
tru dat.
>>
>>39567998
what a faggot. come back when you're actually older than OP.
>>
>>39578087
what the fuck man.
>>
>>39565379
Get gud faget. Some people are destined to be smarter/have more raw talent, but maybe you should read a book.
>>
File: 1390251580168.jpg (121KB, 675x540px) Image search: [Google]
1390251580168.jpg
121KB, 675x540px
>>39578158
Your daily reminder that homosexuality is wrong.
>>
File: 1414624302324.png (691KB, 713x503px) Image search: [Google]
1414624302324.png
691KB, 713x503px
>>39567998
>Pretentious retard
>posts something pretentious

lel
>>
>>39566164
Broken appliances, fixing cars etc will teach you real world problem solving, systemic analysis and lateral thinking, among other things
>>
File: 1383322150380.jpg (300KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1383322150380.jpg
300KB, 1280x960px
>>39578383
You're welcome anon :^)

>>39578486
I don't have anything to fix tho.
>>
>>39566326
OP, don't listen to this. Even if it is true, I have learned that people observing education as creating a "cogwheel" don't make much of themselves - even if it is true.
Especially do not abandon your college if you are in some STEM field, and if you are getting your degree pretty soon. The paper does mean something, even if you consider the values where it means something to be wrong.

That being said, read more books. I suggest realism, it will fit you well. This will soon teach you (in a gnostic way), that people around you (even the most degenerate ones) do have some values and impressive mindset that works on it's own. The smartest thoughts were already written centuries ago. It is important that you truly understand every position which one could have, and the mechanism by which it is obtained. After learning this, star socializing with people you don't like to see it in practice. Then learn to manipulate them.

Stop playing games, especially the singleplayer ones. Only passable tier at this moment is an MMO (if you insist on playing at all), if you wish to work on your conversation skills - do not play for the stats as they mean nothing outside that box. Go outside; if you are not the type that would work out, go to a local cafeteria to have a drink and to adjust yourself to new places and outside air. This is extremely important if you tend to spend your time inside your own room.

Being stuffed with statistics on /pol/ can be useful but it is the least important aspect of getting redpilled; other than /pol/ itself being the push you generally needed.

tl;dr - don't play games, read old shit, socialize
>>
Whats your intention with aquiring new intelligence?
Your 18 probally white rich parents
Do you own a gun

Maybe you should spend time in firing ranges instead of playing videogames
>>
File: 1415535471408.png (352KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1415535471408.png
352KB, 600x450px
>>39578521
>tfw I didn't even click on the thumbnail

Nice try freakshow
>>
File: 1412604173235.jpg (70KB, 666x492px) Image search: [Google]
1412604173235.jpg
70KB, 666x492px
>>39565379
Stop trying to be always right.
Accept that your current answer is the best but be open to changing it if sufficient arguments or a new concept arrives.
Once that is done lurk more and slowly you will climb the ladder of wisdom, good luck.
>>
Why not build a gaming pc ive done that before with stuff ordered from newegg and advice from the fags in /g/ it actually came out awesome the p.c. of course i went iver budget but i assembled a fucking powerful p.c.
>>
>>39565379
>18
Yes. You missed out when TV actually had educational things, just like I missed out on learning Latin and being even more educated. You also are probably an urban american from the middle-class, thus you have the most narrow world-view in the world, since you are the most imposed social class on the rest of the world thorugh media. I as a slavshit that has travelled a lot as a kid, by default I have a bigger hermenautical circle than you. Read history if you want to start somewhere.
>>
File: 1371891051796.jpg (201KB, 895x689px) Image search: [Google]
1371891051796.jpg
201KB, 895x689px
>>39578554
Any suggestions as far as books are concerned? I'd have no idea where to start.

Also, why do you place so much important on getting out? Isn't that what most people do? What do I gain from "going to a local cafeteria and having a drink"?

>>39578636
who r u even

>>39578666
you know it bb's

>>39578705
Yeah that's something I've been doing lately. If you read some of my responses earlier in the thread you'd know that.

>>39578722
I half built one, and ended up needing to hire some guy off of craigslist because I fucked up something with the CPU or something (idk its been a few years). I'm not sure if I could have finished the job anyway, so many wires and such. And the thing is, if you fuck up, you could be costing yourselves hundreds of dollars.

>>39578750
wat. I'm a mostly Russian American rich kid, who's traveled around the world. Wtf was this post even about.

Is this you?
>>39565685
>>
>>39565379

I used to read a lot. I read books that would be considered a difficult read. I kept a dictionary next to me so I could look up words I didn't know as I read. I racked my brain over problems and different conspiracies, and its seemed to have helped my critical thinking and ability to analyze evidence and facts and weigh them against each other. I exercised, ate right, and slept well and it improved my mind substantially.

I really don't know what else there is to it.
>>
>>39565379
I'm not looking through this whole thread.
Just read, man. Read fiction and nonfiction, read short books and long books, just fucking read.
>>
>>39565379

Apply and god.
>>
File: 1369292239484.gif (3KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1369292239484.gif
3KB, 400x400px
>>39578881
>>39578863

I'll start off by finish my Pat Buchanan book that I bought 3 months ago and haven't touched since.
>>
>>39572571
The ozone layer hole thanks you
>>
>>39578844
>wat. I'm a mostly Russian American rich kid, who's traveled around the world. Wtf was this post even about.
Then how are you not already smarter(or rather more intuative) than everyone here, especially regarding history or geopolitics? You have the positive of actually seeing things from a different enviroment, your slav one and having more general knowledge than any anglo on /pol/, that is your age. Even watching cartoons and playing video games as a child in a language you don't understand should have made you somewhat smarter.
>>
>>39578844
>Any suggestions as far as books are concerned? I'd have no idea where to start.

http://www.planetpdf.com/planetpdf/pdfs/free_ebooks/Crime_and_Punishment_NT.pdf

This one is a pretty easy and understandable read and somewhat mainstream. It will do you good.
Don't be fooled by the number of pages, the font is enormous. Would translate to about 300 pages of regular font. If you are not a regular reader, this will be a life changer.

I also suggest that you either get a book, or read this from a tablet.

>Also, why do you place so much important on getting out? Isn't that what most people do? What do I gain from "going to a local cafeteria and having a drink"?
Yes, that's what most of people do. It is important as it keeps your mind in shape. Seeing, and listening to people, remembering places, learning to relax in public sapce is quite an exercise - when compared to absorbing colorful 3D on a 2D screen. Being in sunlight is also important.
>>
File: 1384047743825.gif (2MB, 294x233px) Image search: [Google]
1384047743825.gif
2MB, 294x233px
>>39579144
Traveling doesn't make you historically or geopolitically aware, not unless you travel for the sole purpose of political/historical enlightenment. And I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has traveled and/or has seen shit from a different perspective. /pol/ is full of people from various backrounds. And I speak Russian fluently, so idk what you're talking about man.

r u insane.
>>
File: 5492_1131097890356_2428333_n.jpg (43KB, 604x444px) Image search: [Google]
5492_1131097890356_2428333_n.jpg
43KB, 604x444px
>>39579236
>crime and punishment
I don't like fiction, I find it boring.

I can see and listen to people from my computer tho.
>>
>>39578521
Cars are good... Preferably something with a carburetor...

Radio controlled helicopters, you will crash and have to fix them yourself
>>
>>39579327
>I don't like fiction, I find it boring.
>fiction
>I can see and listen to people from my computer tho.

The only reason you're here is to justify your retarded reasons. You can't absorb essence of anything. This is my last post.
>>
File: 27257008.jpg (79KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
27257008.jpg
79KB, 400x400px
>>39579411
Are you suggesting I repair radio controlled helicopters that I will intentionally destroy anon?
Should I destroy the cars too?
>>
File: 1382794326287.jpg (2MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1382794326287.jpg
2MB, 1936x2592px
>>39579443
It's fiction, look it up.

And no, I'm trying to weed out the good and bad advice.
>>
>>39579452
Just learning to fly them, you will crash many many times... Totally unavoidable and inevitable, the human mind doesn't naturally have the skills... Then you fix them, and learn to fly some more
>>
File: 13123.jpg (8KB, 370x136px) Image search: [Google]
13123.jpg
8KB, 370x136px
>>39579603
I think I'll stick to reading.
>>
>>39579603
Until one day, it clicks, you overcome all fear and can do this

http://youtu.be/kEO7NrIKMu8
>>
>Some people on FUCKING /pol/ make me look like an absolute monkey

You ARE an absolute monkey.

I go here to watch mentally retarded rednecks argue about shit that doesn't even matter.
>>
>>39578946
Try Stephen King's The Stand extended edition. It's thick, good, and you will feel accomplished when you finish it.
>>
File: 1369 feminazis799806065.png (73KB, 304x958px) Image search: [Google]
1369 feminazis799806065.png
73KB, 304x958px
>>39565379
Try isolating yourself for 2 weeks or something like that. and grab /pol/ library, like bastiat or SPECIALLY machiaveli's "Prince". you will stop reacting and will develop further your own awareness and intellectual thinking.

why? I found that in social life, there is a moment when you start to just react and grow a little stupid.
PS:
Can someone redirect to the good posts ITT I would like to try new stuff, there ought to be good stuff here.
>>
>>39575569
I'm pretty sure that's part of the blue pill. You know, believe in something fake, or full of lies to live better, instead of having it based on truth?
>>
File: 1385630542145.gif (16KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1385630542145.gif
16KB, 125x125px
>>39579879
Where is this /pol/ library tho? Also, I might just order "prince" right now, seems like what I'm looking for.
>>
>>39579879

>>quoting from this book
>>
>>39568758
just ask what interests you. don't over think it and scare yourself off.

don't go to /lit/ they're usually reading to feel smart, not to be smart.

you're on /pol/, so maybe start with political philosophers. I like biographies of important people, usually you get a good summary of their work without having to read every one of their works. Also, it frames their discoveries in a narrative, which is more interesting to read.
>>
>>39566812
Just going to throw random things at you.

Start reading more. Simply to gain a larger vocubalairy. It won't make you smarter, but it will make it easier to express your thoughts about subjects. It can, and probably will, change your view on subjects aswel.

Now, I read 50-100 books a year, and I am still stupid as shit, but I atleast managed to gain passable knowledge of the English language.
>>
File: 1360943791068.jpg (250KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1360943791068.jpg
250KB, 1440x1080px
>>39580235
Is there no /pol/ database of specific books to read?
>>
File: 1402099751999.jpg (292KB, 1485x1346px) Image search: [Google]
1402099751999.jpg
292KB, 1485x1346px
>>39580036
downright is.

>>39580464
am looking for the library pic, have a bump and a book while I search it.
http://www.4shared.com/office/BgR4aHmcba/Ride_the_Tiger__A_Survival_Man.html

If you want a recommendation of something fun and easygoing there is "tides of war" about the Peloponese war. this was was not a hollywood matter, but interesting none the least. (my personal recommendation not pol)
>>
File: Austin.jpg (132KB, 857x600px) Image search: [Google]
Austin.jpg
132KB, 857x600px
>>39580573
I'll take a look. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to find that for me anon. Appreciate it.
>>
>>39580573
thanks, waiting on library pic
>>
File: 1383287737798 - Copy.jpg (42KB, 400x325px) Image search: [Google]
1383287737798 - Copy.jpg
42KB, 400x325px
>>39581700
I don't think it's coming.
>>
File: 1385710065542.jpg (1MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1385710065542.jpg
1MB, 3000x2000px
>>39580718
>>39581700
>>39581814

fuck, I had lost mine.
>>
>>39580573
who is the person listed under 'mathematics'?
>>
File: 1386278083041.gif (938KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1386278083041.gif
938KB, 500x280px
>>39581925
Omg anon I love you. This is the most useful post in the thread thus far.
>>
>>39565379
Do lots of math problems.

It's just that easy.
>>
>>39567998
tips fedora* Spoken like a true gentleman and scholar.
>>
File: image.jpg (304KB, 1253x714px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
304KB, 1253x714px
>>39581814
not the guy you're waiting for, but is this the pic maybe?
>>
ITT:
My IQ dick is longer than your IQ dick.

Remember the apple of discord? You're being trolled faggots. 1/2chan really is shit.
>>
File: 1361181057690.jpg (16KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1361181057690.jpg
16KB, 500x333px
>>39582193
He came through. But this one I'll save as well. Thanks!
>>
File: 1390706409087.jpg (214KB, 845x500px) Image search: [Google]
1390706409087.jpg
214KB, 845x500px
>>39582051
no prob bob.

I say start by C 1 maybe.
but anyway have already here a F 3.

>>39565379
Can I also say something?

Vidya is not necessarily intellectual garbage.

Syndicate: American revolt, Deus Ex, TESV: Skyrim (as stormcloak), Crusader Kings II and Chess seem to be three great tittles, that can intellectually rival books.

yes blue pills and feminists are making it hollywood 2.0: jew marxist bugaloo, but there ARE good tittles there. just not many of them are shooters or with big graphics.
>>
File: 1411288672075.png (276KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
1411288672075.png
276KB, 500x320px
>>39582616
>but anyway have already here a F 3.
>no link
http://www.4shared.com/office/Au3lZqX-ce/kaczynski2.html

>>39578554
>MMO
>not designed to steal your time into endless grinds
>not designed to addict you and simulate value where there is only virtual gain.

no, fuck you MMO babbies.
>>
>>39567998
>implying I don't funpost until someone rustles my jimmies and I go Hitchens mode
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>39582616
Yeah but for the most part Vidya is pretty intellectually worthless, and I get that. I could go on sucking myself off and telling myself that I'm somehow intellectually bettering myself by playing CK2, AOE 3, Dota, Kerbal, etc. But the reality is that it's pretty much a waste of time.

>>39582760
What's F3 about?
>>
>>39565379
Are you me? I lurk only because when I write a response, even though I often agree with the general sentiments, I sound like a 12 year old when replying.
>>
>>39567998
Behold as they strut around in their garments of gold indulging in their vanity.

>>39565379
Lo traveller of dark seas, one seeth not the courage in ones own eyes as one tempers spirit like steel, but behold as you have arrived in time to open the gates to another self
>>
>>39583136
I probably don't sound that bad, but my self-perception in regards to how I articulate things is definitely rather low. I just know I can improve, and so that's what I'm striving to do. I doubt you and I are alone in this, on /pol/.

>>39583241
That's good news, I think.
>>
File: ted kaczisnki 93539.jpg (73KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
ted kaczisnki 93539.jpg
73KB, 500x334px
>>39582987
if you haven't always lived in america there is a chance you never heard of Unabomber , a bomber whom only stopped if a manifesto was published in the newspaper to the mass. this is the manifesto.

he was almost never caught, unless when his brother recognized the calligraphy from a fraternal letter. he then sent the police to him. to Ted Kaczisnki.

Ted was a utter genius, and handcrafted the bombs to the point it was untraceable, but one step into his Innawoods neatly organized house and FBI knew: this had to be the guy, today he does his time in the jail, life sentence if I'm not mistaken. Breivik heavily copypasted his shit.

anyway, is a good read, I haven't found the time to dig in, but I have it around.
>>
File: 1383714906157.gif (876KB, 335x288px) Image search: [Google]
1383714906157.gif
876KB, 335x288px
>>39584093
What was the point?
>>
File: 1361180653732.jpg (66KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1361180653732.jpg
66KB, 800x600px
>>39584322
Also ignore the accidental commie flag. I ain't no fucken red
>>
>>39565379
the fact that you can ask this makes you smarter than most of the population
>>
>>39573175
>and NEVER be afraid to change them, or admit your own foolishness or naivete

This is the danger, though. If you hold to nothing, you are easily goaded and lured into other opinions based on insecurity and uncertainty alone.

One must commit themselves to a principle or idea to start with and use that as a litmus test for appraising other ideas.

One's own litmus test or filter might be wrong, but at that point there must be a rigorous introspective debate and research not ONLY on why you yourself are wrong, but why another side is right, or wrong.

The ability of "intellectual youths" to change their opinions so rapidly on political issues without as many factual hardpoints as clear as say, in science and math, as you describe it, is half the reason for the sorry state of political literacy / devotion today
>>
File: 1386774060900.jpg (198KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1386774060900.jpg
198KB, 1280x1024px
>>39584416
I like u anon
>>
>>39584322
that you'll have to ask him.

I have only the background. I had before ever getting the copy of the stuff, and still haven't found time to read it.
>>
File: 1414950451644.jpg (8KB, 245x304px) Image search: [Google]
1414950451644.jpg
8KB, 245x304px
>>39582987
>I could go on sucking myself off and telling myself that I'm somehow intellectually bettering myself by playing CK2, AOE 3, Dota, Kerbal, etc. But the reality is that it's pretty much a waste of time.

at least you admit
>>
File: 2569_1053895260136_7887917_n.jpg (76KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
2569_1053895260136_7887917_n.jpg
76KB, 604x453px
>>39585566
So I'll find out via the manifesto then, assuming I read it. Correct?

>>39585679
Truth hurts bruh

Also if I'm a bit to slow to reply past this point, it's coz aoe3. I'll check in after my match is finished, assuming the thread is still alive.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 90

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.