[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to fold paper like this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Untitled.png (20KB, 1006x506px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
20KB, 1006x506px
Hello, I'm a first year architecture student,and I need to make a design that only folds. I've got the concept for what I want to do, but I don't know if it's possible to make it using folds only.

Thanks beforehand, and sorry for being a newfag.
>>
>>551330
Everybody is new at some point of time.
The slope, the bottom and the vertical wall can be made of one piece. The rest (recangular frame and traprzoid walls) of another.
>>
>>551333
Thanks. I asked a teacher if the design could be made and he said that nothing was impossible and showed me another design based on pentagons, and if that could be made, why mine could be not.
I really don't want to change the whole design, since I really thought a lot about the concept behind it, and it needs a frame, slopes, and a bottom to keep it all together.
>>
>>551333

Alternatively, the entire lower "bowl" section could be its own piece of paper and the outer square rim could be its own piece of paper as well
>>
>>551330
You might want to look at the techniques used for the following models:

http://www.josephwu.com/Files/PDF/eiffel.pdf
(or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmHPt1XEK4Q )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql4o0kWrH68

Fold only one level, and try to make slopes instead of the straight, "vertical" walls.
>>
Paper is flexible (though not stretchable), and given the proper variables, it can be forced into that shape. Think about dry seals. You may need to implement some proper tools for the work, like a jig and some kind of press. And probably moisten the paper a bit. Or maybe not, depending on the kind of paper you use. But it can be done. That is, as long as the paper's inherent properties allow it.
>>
>>551346
That looks great. I'll try to make it, to understand it the most I can.

>>551348
Thanks for your response. The only hard part is that I'm working with lined board, so to make the folds, I need to use a xacto knife and use the part of the knife that isn't sharp, in order to don't get a messy and ugly fold.
>>
So, Kubo and the two strings was interesting.
>>
It is entirely possible to fold the entire thing from one piece. It is a modified version of box pleating. However, the angles are advanced. Check out the origami cubed or origami to the fourth power, etc books from the osme conferences. One of those had an article you'd find helpful. And your teacher is wrong...some things are impossible with origami. This just isn't one of them.
>>
>>551330
keep in mind that the surface area of your paper is constant.
>>
File: IMG_0717.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0717.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
Does this help? (sorry about crappy editing)
>>
>>551330
>I'm a first year architecture student
>>551334
>I really don't want to change the whole design, since I really thought a lot about the concept behind it
this is learning
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.