[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

has anyone read this book or is super into the math behind folding?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: cover.draft.300.jpg (97KB, 300x430px) Image search: [Google]
cover.draft.300.jpg
97KB, 300x430px
has anyone read this book or is super into the math behind folding? what level of math and other general knowledge would I need to engage with this text at a reasonable level?
>>
>>549009
i have the pdf of this book, i was interested by the fold and cut theorem. It turned out it's not the kind of math i like. But different people like different math so...

Anyway the book is pretty big and there is many more stuff than the fold and cut theorem. You should download it and see if you're able to read it.
>>
>>549036
Could you perhaps share the pdf?
>>
>>549045
Nevermind, I found it! 11mb though, so too big to upload. For anyone who can't find it, look on libgen.

As for the amount of math needed to read this comfortably, a second year math major would be able to do so. Notably just being comfortable with the notation and being able to read a textbook. But you can certainly read this at a highschool level given that you are okay with reading google and wikipedia for notational questions.

Start reading it and if you have any questions, ask about them here and I will be around to answer.
>>
>>549047
Here is a smaller pdf from libgen
>>
File: path_image.jpg (161KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
path_image.jpg
161KB, 500x375px
>>549047
thanks, love you /po/
>>
>>549047
>>549048
Sorry for the stupid question, is there any major difference with the smaller pdf? Is it just lower quality?
>>
>>549052
Not the anon who posted the pdf but : i have a 11Mb version of this book in pdf and it has 487 pages including cover, the one posted here as 482 pages and no cover. So i think it's safe to assume there's not much missing on the smaller pdf.

As the other anon said i think 2nd year in math major is sufficient, but not mandatory. The math in the book is somewhat different from what you would encounter in the first 2 years of university so it's not a big deal if you lack that background but it's better if you're used to math language, proofs and reasoning.

Also feel free to ask math questions.
>>
>>549054
Can you please post a mediafire link to the 11 MB version

/thanks
>>
>>549833
No i won't. It's to much troubles for just a book cover and a back cover added.

Just search on libgen or google like i and the other anon did if it really bother you.
>>
>>549048
You just made my inner math geek very, very happy. Thanks anon!
>>
>>549009
>>549048
Really neat, thnks guys.
>>
File: IMG_3306.jpg (2MB, 3264x1661px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3306.jpg
2MB, 3264x1661px
from experience i will tell you the following:

you need about 8 years of intensive math training to fully grasp that level of mid-tier math
>>
>>551626
where is that ?

Also 8 years is a bit too much i think.
>>
The scope of this book is rather large. If you are only interested in the second part of the book about folding paper you will encounter both simple stuff that is rather easy to understand and some really complex things. The part that concerns itself with flat-folding one dimensional paper (a line) is really intuitive, but there is a lot of stuff in later chapters that was a little too complicated for me.

I bought the book because I had to write a "scientific paper" to graduate high school but I really only used and understood maybe 10% of the content. you will certainly take away something or other from the book, but dont expect to understand everything unless you are formally educated in maths
>>
>>549009

I have not read that book.
>>
The only book that got my hunger for numbers 're ignited is Miyuki Kawamuras book which is mainly kusudama and sonobe balls made using algebraic plot lines and angles but if you have a passion for balling start here as her models are repetive..Ita relaxing to keep folding the same shape 24 times then trying to get it to stick together..it's an introduction to dividing up paper and finding reference points without being overwhelming like with Friedman or Lang
>>
I...I don't understand what this book is saying...
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.