[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did you people get into your hobby, and why do you like it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: 1436001169570.jpg (122KB, 449x449px) Image search: [Google]
1436001169570.jpg
122KB, 449x449px
How did you people get into your hobby, and why do you like it? I am sincerely curious.
>>
>>528309
My parents gave me an origami book when I was 4 or something like that. I don't remember well.
>>
>>528309
always loved origami, my dream job is to an architect and I love to build models. and even though i couldnt buy those fancy kits papercraft was a much cheaper alternative, so it stuck with me :)
>>
>>528309
Bought a book at barnes and noble for $10. Had basic diagrams and some paper to start with.
I use it to clear my head, and it helps with my anxiety. I've read there are therapy groups that use it in their sessions.
I've also found that people like stuff you give them, and its a fairly inexpensive hobby.
>>
>>528327
>its a fairly inexpensive hobby
Not OP but... how inexpensive? Average cost?

And I am someone who is easily frustrated (think toddler), so would this be more likely to help with my anxiety or to turn me into a mess. Can barely play video games for this reason.
>>
>>528395
Very cheap!

1. Get a random piece of paper
2. Cut a square
3. Fold
4. ?????
5. Enjoy!
>>
>>528395
>would this be more likely to help with my anxiety or to turn me into a mess
For me, folding something basic like a classic crane or module origami feels like meditation and I can do it for hours. It helps calm my body and mind.

More complicated models will frustrate and challenge you but they're worth it.
>>
>>528395
Michaels usually has packs of 100 sheets of decent paper for around $11 and just about every week they have a 40% off coupon, sometimes 50%, so for about six bucks you can be folding for a good while. I think I saw a pack of 500 on walmart.com for about $13.

Origami clears my head, as long as I"m doing something I know I can kind of zone out. The therapy sites I've seen describe it as having no heavy weight on mistakes, if you screw up you flatten it out and start again, or throw it away and you're out a few cents.
>>
You will get frustrated a lot. It's easy in the simple models, but as you progress in complexity, you will hit roadblocks and it will frustrate you. But you just need to keep trying, or ask the origami community on the internet for help. In the long run, it will definitely make you a more patient and meticulous person.
>>
When I was on primary school, I had a history teacher who taught us our first figures. He said it was to broad our culture and minds.

I left it for some years, until a year ago I found on the internet a Mai Shiranui papercraft model, so I printed it, and got started again.

Yeah, is because mai waifu.
>>
I used to have anger problems and a teacher had me try a crane, and it all went down hill from there
>>
I prefer papercraft over origami but I have tried the latter.
I got started in papercraft because my family fell upon some rough times growing up so i self-designed a lot of my toys using paper, rulers, and pencil.
I guess it stuck with me because as I grew older and my family came out of that rough patch i was able to go to a higher skill level i could print out and make characters and castles and stuff so it just kind of became a hobby that stuck.
>>
>>528309
stereotypical mean bitch in middle school knew how to fold the fat ass american cranes bitch purposely never taught me, even crumpled one up so i couldn't follow the crease pattern. One day found the one book about the leukemia girl and the thousand cranes, in the back it had instructions about how to fold the actual crane, i folded that and I've been hooked ever since.

as for why i like it's a nice hobby something to pass time and like >>528327 said it can be fairly calming if you're just folding the simple models
>>
>>528309
games? i was born into it.

>born in mid 80s
>NES was trendy, everyone had to have one
>dad did pong in the 70s when in highschool
>gets NES with mario/duck hunt bundle
>gets tetris, blades of steel, and a baseball game
the rest is history
>>
>>528309
Oh boy, I haven't made an actual post on this site for a while. Anyway, I started back in middle school. I was and still am a huge Metal Gear fan and I found out about the Metal Gear Rex model that they were giving out at E3. I found the model after a while and the rest is history. Though I did start by making arcade cabinets.
>>
File: Celes.jpg (294KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
Celes.jpg
294KB, 1000x664px
>>528309
was taught how to fold a crane when I was 8

became a socially acceptable way of having people not talk to me and entertain me

got really heavy into modular origami and it just filled a void of sorts.
>>
>>529218
I'm really interested by your picture, do you have instructions ?

I started with my twin when we where very little, our parents had bought us a book. Then I found some internet ressources when I was a teen and so on.
>>
I couldnt find the CP but a video of it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuk6GDp2T7M

Found it through this guy on flickr by the name of Francesco Mancini his url is mancinerie
>>
I mostly do papercraft. I got into it because i liked making models and costumes and it was an inexpensive way to make props and armors replicas from games (a ream of 60lb cardstock is ~$8 and the glue is close to the same).
>>
For me it was around 3rd grade when the school forced us to check out books from the school library and spend time reading. I hated reading so I would find the books with pictures usually it was some plant or animal book. Eventually I found an origami book which was filled with pictures. It has been almost 15 years now and I can't read but I'll fold cranes just as good as I fuck women ;)
>>
>>529322
Thanks !
>>
File: Celes CP.png (6KB, 183x404px) Image search: [Google]
Celes CP.png
6KB, 183x404px
>>529351
No problem happy to help

Also I had made this a couple of times and the black one in my picture is a slight modification of the original CP because I used basically card stock to make it

I made the CP in paint. Its a 1:6 ratio shown by the edges. Red is mountain, Blue is valley.

The one on the right is my modified version. It allowed me to use much thicker paper than the first one. I had to use glue but it is much more permanent because of it.

Happy Folding
>>
When I started making terrain for wargames out of thin cardboard. Then, after finding out about Pathfinder Paper Minis, I realized how great of a fucking idea that was and why the fuck hadn't I thought of that in the first place?
>>
2nd grade; cousin got an origami book, made everything that's in it.

making or creating with my hands somehow feels really satisfying to me.

papercrafting started years back when I want to give something to my then bf, found cubeecraft of ironman then remembered that there's a papercraft board here in 4ch
>>
While visiting relatives as a kid my niece showed me how to fold a boat, it went on from there
>>
>>528395
I do not do papercraft/origami, as it frustrates me really bad, and I get anxious. It's not for me, but maybe for you it will provide therapy for your anxiety.
>>
it helped me quit smoking cigarettes and reduced my anxiety. I will sometimes sit in my cubicle at work and loose myself in my origami. I bought a book with a bunch of instruction in japan when I traveled there with my company for business. it helped a lot.
>>
>>529651
oh and I'm not a embarrassed to admit I'm a 38 year old accountant and I buy Lego sets. Those a even better.
>>
Wanted to make some sunflowers and sailboats for a friends one year wedding anniversary, now I'm getting requests for other weddings and party's.
>>
>>529809
ohhh i wanna see! post some of those
>>
File: IMG_20150905_212436739.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150905_212436739.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
I saw a kid in 6th grade with an origami book from the library and thought the little samurai hat he made was cool.

I stopped for awhile until i found this girl i liked and started making stuff for her. It didn't work out but hey I can make cool stuff like this now
>>
>>530001
this is really cool. how'd you make it?
>>
>>530027
It's called 3d origami. you make these little v shaped pieces and hook then together in sort of a pattern. Once you get the hang of making the pieces you can use them to build whatever you want!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUVFWG28Ai8
Folding them can get repetitive but after awhile it becomes 2nd nature
>>
File: IMG_20150907_204832201.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150907_204832201.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>530070
also working on an Eevee right now c:
>>
>>530001
you know how to make triangle in paper and have the patience to make undreds of them, congrats....

God, i don't like modular origami but this triangle modul is like level 0 of modular origami, i mean, why even bother ? why not use paper mache instead ?
>>
File: 123.jpg (62KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
62KB, 1024x768px
Slow day at work
>>
>>530121
Because it's relaxing and I like making them. I'm sorry my hobby doesn't live up to your expectations anon.
>>
>>530165
eh fuck him anon, it looks good
>>
>>528309
I lacked the patience for recreational reading, I dont have the body for sports, and I suck at video games.
>>
Learned origami and kirigami basics in elementary school, doesn't anybody? Same for 'regular' papercraft, that stuff you cut'n'glue.

Never touched it again for decades but now my brother has 2 young kids and I needed something to fight the void and depressions which come along with drug withdrawal, and put the excessive energy which comes along to some good use. It's fun, and cheap, and healthy.
>>
>>528309
I wanted to go to /pol/, but clicked on this board instead by mistake. Then after seeing a few neat things I wanted to try it out for myself, and here I am.
>>
I got into origami at 7 but didn't get obsessed until I got Origami Omnibus at 10 as a birthday gift.

It's the perfect hobby for me since it helps me focus when I need to listen and distracts me from my anxiety, keeps my hands busy and I can always find paper wherever I am. Sometimes I'll just fold grids and tessellations to keep my mind busy, though I'm really into on modulars and boxes.

I've got shelves and bags full of stuff mostly just from the few years that I was NEET after highschool and even though I was more of a wreck then, I really miss being able to put so much time and energy into a hobby. I also used to have a ton of polyhedra I made out of adhesive labels but I trashed them because they were covered in years worth of dust and a few were dented up.

I don't know what I'd have done to cope growing up without origami, it's pretty much carried me through life.
>>
>>529347
Why are you here if you don't even fold cranes?
>>
>>528309
I had finished watching the GunGrave anime for the first time and I really wanted one of Graves Cerberus guns. I looked around for an airsoft one but they were too expensive for me. So I decided to make one. Discovered papercraft and found a file of the gun and set out making it. I never finished it, it seemed to complicated at the time, but I went back to the file years later and realised it not very well designed. After making a couple of movie a game props, I discovered you can add fiberglass resin to papercraft and make them really tough, failed at doing that for awhile. After about a year and not being able to find pepakura models of things I wanted, I decided to try my hand at 3D modelling and importing my creations into Pepakura Designer. 3 years later here I am. I haven't released many Pepakura files, but the ones I have released have been very popular. (my shitty Loki helmet, my Amon mask from Avatar Korra for examples) A couple years into my new hobby I realised I had been doing papercraft since I was about 8. I made a paper Roman Centurion shield, spear and helmet for a school project once.

Haven't made many papercrafts recently. Last big thing I did was last year, got 60% into making a full set of Gabranth armour from Final Fantasy 12, That project has been on hold for awhile. Next project I will do soon is Big Boss' Biomechanical Arm from Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain.
>>
File: BB-BA.jpg (524KB, 1718x970px) Image search: [Google]
BB-BA.jpg
524KB, 1718x970px
>>530335
Its coming along. Good start at least. Isn't as complicated as I thought.
>>
Teacher taught me how to fold a paper box in elementary school. Thought it was amazing that paper could become things like that and throughout highschool I'd make simple boxes/cranes/airplanes/ninja stars

I haven't really progressed any further. I've never been very creative and alot of the fun is observing how folds lead to shapes, for some reason I have alot of trouble comprehending it so I keep folding the same things hoping to naturalize it in my head but it never happens.

It might be something wrong with my brain but I just can't comprehend turning a square piece of paper to anything beyond the most simple airplanes. I memorize the steps but it doesn't help me comprehend the step-by-step procedure of how it actually happens.
>>
File: Pekprogbioarm.png (213KB, 1618x928px) Image search: [Google]
Pekprogbioarm.png
213KB, 1618x928px
Very nearly almost done. Just got to do the unfolding.
It's a bit rough near the elbow section due to an early mistake that couldn't be fixed properly.
That and a few non-connected pieces due to Metasequoia being Metasequoia, but easily worked around during the cutting phase.
>>
And done, my latest shitty masterpiece is complete.
http://kaiserlee.deviantart.com/art/Big-Boss-Bionic-Arm-Papercraft-wearable-564770269?ga_submit_new=10%253A1444222943
>>
>>528309
Nice paper cat
>>
>>530121
you're kind of an asshole, aren't you?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.