[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Winter camera handling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: image:69561.jpg (22KB, 275x230px) Image search: [Google]
image:69561.jpg
22KB, 275x230px
So with winter and child weather fast approaching, how do you shoot outdoors?

I've been reading a lot of conflicting articles, some day keep the camera close to you/in your jacket at all times to keep it warm, bit others say to leave it in the cold as your body heat week just create moisture.

So what is the proper handling ways?
>>
File: IMG_20150201_092747.jpg (489KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150201_092747.jpg
489KB, 2048x1536px
Do people actually worry about this? I just beat the thing up and make sure to keep a spare microfiber cloth around in case snow gets on the lens. To be honest, I'd prefer my camera be completely cold because snow just bounces off the lens when it's cold, but it will stick and turn to water drops on the glass if it's warm. Just try your best not to breathe near a frozen lens or you'll be taking foggy photos.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeOLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera ModelE-M5
Camera SoftwareVersion 2.0
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:02:01 08:51:22
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/9.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias1 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length12.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2048
Image Height1536
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2694796
Unless you're in the arctic, leave it alone. Use it as you normally would, and bring a spare battery. Taking a cold camera into a warm humid environment will lead to condensation. (This is not an opinion, it is 5th grade science)

If you ARE in the arctic, keeping your camera warm will help to preserve it and ensure it's lifespan, but eh. Most cameras operate just fine down to and below 0c. Including entry level ones.
>>
>>2694800
That you Alex? Or anon reposting his photo?
>>
>>2694802
But the condensation on the camera, won't that create shorts, or inside the lens create moisture that will start mold? What about taking the camera inside, condensation forms, then you take it back out and the condensation freezes inside the camera?

>>2694800
>not worrying about your camera
Really? You don't ta-
>Olympus
Oh okay carry on.
>>
>>2694809
You aren't going to get THAT much water in there. Most of it will be on the surface. Some air gets into your camera, but not nearly enough to water-log it. You might get some issues with fungus if you don't store it properly or let it dry out at some point after you come back in, but it certainly isn't going to be destroyed in seconds (or even days).

Your camera is much more sturdy than you think. I promise you. Just get out and take photos.
>>
>>2694808
Probably an anon. Alex usually puts Alex in the name field.

Get a remote so you can keep your hands in your pockets.

You keep your spare batteries in a warm pocket because cold keeps the chemical reactions that release electricity from happening as easily (battery "dies", swap out fresh one from warm pocket, put "dead" one in warm pocket for long enough to warm back up and there'll still be juice there).

As far as the rest of the stuff: be wary of rapid temperature changes (especially bringing your gear into warmth) because that can cause condensation inside of your camera which can break things or at least make your camera unusable until it clears up.

The only two parts of your camera that are affected by cold are the battery and display screens. If it's cold enough, there will be lag in your display screens.

>source: I live in fucking North Dakota and have shot in/regularly leave my camera gear out in -30 F temperature for days at a time.
>>
>>2694808
Yeah it's me.

>>2694809
I'm notoriously horrible at taking care of my gear. It's one of the reasons why I use a giant metal potato.
>>
File: _DSF4607.jpg (1MB, 1750x1167px) Image search: [Google]
_DSF4607.jpg
1MB, 1750x1167px
>>2694816
>Probably an anon. Alex usually puts Alex in the name field.
Yeah no he has never done that. It goes in his EXIF.

>>2694818
Hey friend! I was over in BC a couple of weeks ago, and thought of you the whole time. You would have loved some of the stuff I was seeing out there. I tried channeling you a few times, but failed pretty miserably. (It doesn't help that I refused to be awake in time for a sunrise)

Horizontal Resolution150 dpi
Vertical Resolution150 dpi
>>
>>2694796
Simple. I shoot Pentax. Bring it out just like in the summer rain, not caring about silly things like weather and cold and just shoot.
>>
Keep batteries warm, keep fingers warm, hope to god you didn't fall for a meme camera with buttons that can't be operated with gloves on, and for film shooters, wind your film slowly.
>>
>>2694826

I always wind my film slowly, and with constant eye contact.
>>
File: _DSF4799.jpg (741KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
_DSF4799.jpg
741KB, 1500x1000px
>>2694818
Tried really hard for an Alex feel when taking this one. I doesn't have the depth and layering that you do really well, and also it's APS-C digital.... but hey. it's the thought that counts, right?

Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
>>
>>2694809

You didn't see the expensive-ass 4x5 in the photo because you were too busy looking at exif? You are shitlord gearfag incarnate.
>>
>>2694857
>calls me gearfag
>tells me to look at the gear
Lolok
>>
File: 0949_s.jpg (246KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0949_s.jpg
246KB, 800x1200px
>>2694796 Just make sure your battery is fully charged and bring a spare.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 600D
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.10
Lens Size55.00 - 250.00 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.0.2
Lens NameEF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2015:02:23 13:28:07
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length55.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width800
Image Height1200
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeAv-Priority
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
ISO Speed RatingAuto
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceCloudy
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed236
Color Matrix133
>>
>>2694802
>live in mn
>almost like the arctic
What do?
>>
>>2694983
Put extra batteries in jacket pocket. Problem pretty much solved.
>>
>>2694820
>>2694842
Look at all that inspiration I'm spreading! I guess it's good to know that there's such a thing as an "Alex feel"

I also went out to the coast briefly this August, but it really turns out I'm far more experienced in areas that are more land than water. I look forward to experiencing more of the coast in future trips.
>>
>>2694809 #
I'm notoriously horrible at taking care of my gear. It's one of the reasons why I use a giant metal potato.
Right there with ya! But that's always probably why 4 of my 5 film backs now have light leaks.

I've never worried about my camera in the cold, rain, snow, etc. Still mechanically sound after 8 years other than leaky film backs
>>
So, film doesn't behave at all differently when well beyond water's freezing point? Only camera's mechanical bits to worry about?
>>
>>2694983
Me to, I bike all winter and I'm worrying how my camera will take it.

Are people talking from experience? Minnesota can get really damn cold.
>>
>>2695081

With digital, only problems I've had Are freezing fingers (I always Forget my gloves), battery dying (keep it warm, have a spare) and display slowing down (use vf). No problems with analogue Stuff.
>>
>>2695085
Thanks Finland!
>>
>>2695081
>>2695085
i would really only be worried about my film stuff my digital im sure could handle it....the worst thing i could do would be to forget it in my car over night
>>
>>2695081
You have someone in ND as well.

Alex, I'm going to be in CO for a few days (garden of the gods, pikes peak, and Denver)...any suggestions for stuff to see and do (not necessarily photography related).
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.