[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it at all possible to get into photography with just a phone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Is it at all possible to get into photography with just a phone camera? I know I won't be able to adjust settings, but I can work on things like angle and getting the shot in the correct frame. I like photography, but not enough to spend the money on a decent camera.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2680328
Holy shit this board is slow, I'll checkup tomorrow morning.
>>
Things you might be able to learn

>composition from only one focal length
>

I cant think of anything else. I do see some great iphone only instagram accounts now and then but consider those the extreme minority.

Buy a fucking camera when you get your first highschool job. Ask the gear thread.

Things you wont learn with a smart phone:

>what good dynamic range should look like
>focusing
>use of bokeh
>what focal length to use for different shots
>what is "good lighting" for a photo
>pan photography
>how aperature effects sharpness, DOF, Bokeh, ect
>what a "stop" is
>how to select a good shutter speed

Thats just the beginning
>>
>>2680328
>>2680330
Oh, and these photos are boring as shit and dont have even have subject.

>the subject is grass

Please

Check the rules, resize your images to 1000 max on one side. No one wants to see snapshits at 3000x2500 especially iphone snapshits
>>
Lmao.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3263x1474px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3263x1474px
>>2680333
Why does a picture need a subject? I may not know anything about photography, but I've seen a lot of nice photos taken of just the surrounding area/ scenery or whatever you want to call it.
>resize
I'm literally posting from my phone atm

>>2680331
>high school job
99% of the money I make goes into cars as a hobby. 1% goes into food, and I'd rather put my money into cars than a camera, so I was just wondering if I could begin with a phone camera, and if I actually like it, maybe buy a shitty camera and work my way up from there.
If the answer is that I won't learn shit from it and it's not worth it than that's the end of that discussion.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera ModelHTC One S
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Exposure Time416/24961 sec
ISO Speed Rating128
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashFlash
Focal Length3.63 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3263
Image Height1474
>>
File: 0412.jpg (175KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
0412.jpg
175KB, 1000x667px
>>2680328 If "getting into photography" means learning basic composition and importance of subject. Work on it.

(Unless it's like mine. When I try to take a photo without first resetting it, it freezes for 5 minutes, crashes, restarts and calls to emergency number from my pocket.)

Equipment MakeSAMSUNG
Camera ModelGT-B271M
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Exposure Time1/857 sec
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Image Width1000
Image Height667
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2680342
well if you were into it, you'd probably be interested enough to read about exposure, focus, composition, and all that stuff on your own before even owning a "real" camera; I certainly was. If you aren't, go take snapshits with your phone
>>
I'm going to give a provisional yes here, but it's a very qualified answer. Cell phone photos can be very interesting. I've found I like some of my phone snaps better than DSLR photos. I think what a cell phone brings is a certain feel or atmosphere due to the quality of lens and sensor. Sometimes going low-fi works really well to help create mood, and of course if you like playing with filters, cell phone photos seem to be best for all the cheesy stuff. With a cell phone, the subject and composition are very important, especially since you generally can't really control anything else like depth of field, shutter speed, and all that. So I would say that as an intro it's an okay way to start learning the art of photography, if not the mechanical aspects.
>>
File: IMGP2218.jpg (149KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP2218.jpg
149KB, 1920x1080px
>>2680342 Think why people should waste their time to look at the picture. If a picture looks like an empty desktop background, it probably needs a subject.
(Unless one wants a desktop background.)

Equipment MakePENTAX Corporation
Camera ModelPENTAX Optio 43WR
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.0-RC1
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)104 mm
Image Created2012:05:07 14:54:37
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/3.9
ISO Speed Rating50
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length16.00 mm
Image Width1920
Image Height1080
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
Quality LevelSuper Fine
Focusing ModeNormal
White BalanceAuto
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
SharpnessSoft
>>
>>2680348
holy shit that jellyshut
>>
>>2680328
Possible to get into photography with a phone camera? Absolutely.

Knowing what the fuck to do with a "real" camera if/when you decide to move up? Absolutely not.

If you're going to start, buy a cheap starter DSLR or Mirrorless kit. Canon SL1, Nikon D3300, Sony A6000, etc.

You can get one of these for between $250-400. Lay off buying a new fart can for a month or so, and you have a camera that you can learn with properly, and will take helluva lot better photos of your rice rockets in the driveway.
>>
File: lartigue-1.jpg (29KB, 439x288px) Image search: [Google]
lartigue-1.jpg
29KB, 439x288px
>>2680480 Also several seconds lag. I simply could not catch a car at the moment it was passing me. That was best I got before giving up.
(Was trying to get something like this.)
>>
>>2681574
>Also several seconds lag. I simply could not catch a car at the moment it was passing me.

By comparison:

With a "real" camera you would be able to focus in advance and thus have almost zero lag and perfect focus every time.

You would also be able to control motion blur, to give the impression of speed in the background.

I recommend getting a second hand DSLR.
You can find them very cheap and any DSLR will give you decent controls and acceptable image quality.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.