[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

File: 749.jpg (722KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
749.jpg
722KB, 1920x1080px
Mora 749. A large knife or a small machete
https://youtu.be/2jx0uuf4p94
>>
File: 35843586b8ba962841[1].jpg (55KB, 585x900px) Image search: [Google]
35843586b8ba962841[1].jpg
55KB, 585x900px
>>21910
No tang, no buy.

Especially for something that huge.

Get a Terävä 140 if you want a good long-bladed scandi for cheap. Full tang.
>>
>>21910
The ultimate batoner
>>
>>21911
I'm pretty sure they're just about full tang but they're a stick tang.
>>
File: 20170330_112102.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170330_112102.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Just got this. I like it. I hate the sheath. It came with tacticool thigh straps. I cut those off. I'm just not cool enough for that.
>>
>>21914
That's what I dispise about my BK7. Pulled the knife out of th box and the sheath is garbage. I'm really not wanting to spend the money to replace it but I guess I might have to.
>>
>>21915
I'm going to try my hand at making a nice leather one.
>>
Bought a Fiskars K40 yesterday, only use my knives for gutting fish & cutting plastic like a filthy normie anyways. Batonny chop chop!
>>
File: Knife.jpg (292KB, 1118x629px) Image search: [Google]
Knife.jpg
292KB, 1118x629px
Full tang, pattern folded 1080/1065 steel, rosewood/bog oak handle. Made it myself a few years ago.
>>
File: bestknoife.jpg (15KB, 619x238px) Image search: [Google]
bestknoife.jpg
15KB, 619x238px
tramontina is objectively better than your ebin mora memekives
>>
>>21915
Its not that bad if you sew a lower leg strap to it, thats what I did and it worked great. I ended up ripping the sheath though couple years later and ended up making a nice leather one. It worked great.
Advice: either sew a leg strap to it or make/buy one.
>>
>>21918
That's Damn nice! I like everything about that.
>>
>>21921
The only thing I would've done differently is be more careful when heating the metal up prior to shaping/grinding. I let it get too hot by accident and metals started to blend together which kind of ruins the nice rippling effect that pattern forged stuff tends to have.
>>
>>21922
Still....good steel, purpose formed blade, did you make that sheath too?
>>
>>21923
Yeah, honestly that was the more difficult part because I'd never worked with leather before. I think I ended up ruining/wasting a few square feet of material before saying fuck it and getting one of the other guys in my workshop to help me out.
>>
>>21924
What did you find hard about it? I'm the guy with the Boker above and I want to make good leather sheath.
>>
>>21925
It wasn't that it was hard specifically, just that I only bought like 5 sqft of leather and it was my first time working it.

It's pretty easy once you get used to the process, as long as you soak it thoroughly (20-40 minutes or so should be fine) and know in advance what you want to do (leather only stays workable for short periods of time before you have to resoak) you should be fine.

For a knife sheath like mine, measure out the length of the blade and add a half inch for the stitching plus however much of the handle you want to cover up. Soak a rectangular sheet of leather then fold it over the finished knife, clamp the leather and leave the whole setup soaking for about a half hour. By the end of that time the leather should conform to the shape you want, and you can always resoak+reclamp if it doesn't come out how you like it, but be aware that tiny adjustments can be hard to work with.

Poke holes for the stitching, cut off the excess material, cut slits for a belt and you're done.
>>
>>21918
I'm sorry I have to call this one out on you. It's realy nice that you made it your self...but still...pic related.
>>
File: A17-AV07290.jpg (38KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
A17-AV07290.jpg
38KB, 1000x1000px
>>21910
>>
File: bestknoife.png (290KB, 619x619px) Image search: [Google]
bestknoife.png
290KB, 619x619px
>>21919
What the fuck is this for
>>
>>21913
Nah. Except for the way overpriced ones, they only go halfway to the pommel, and are more of a rat tail tang. Never had any problem with loosening or anything, but I use a hatchet for hatchet stuff.
>>
>>21929
Probably a string cutter, like you couldnt just use the fucking knife
>>
>>21931
Some knives have a similar notch for stripping sinew, but it's much shallower on the edged side, so that it doesn't ruin the spine strength like that thing.
>>
>>21929 funnily enough , that point never breaks
it's for cutting wire
>>
>>21933
and i forgot to mention , the previous owner battoned the fucl out of the knife i have but it's still sturdy as fuck
>>
>>21920
I've priced a few kydex ones. They're not too bad. A piggyback set up with a lot of additions that are useful is $200.
>>
>>21918
Looks like a thicker kris.
>>
>>21918
That's a nice piece of work you have there. I bet that cuts like a motherfucker.
>>
so... I just got a Mora Classic No.612, this an ok knife, or am I out the cash I payed for it? pic is the knife in question
>>
>>21938
Let's just say it's a knife
>>
>>21938
They're old school cool. It's good steel and does what a knife is supposed to do. My only complaint is that the handle is too small for big hands. Make your own sheath. The one it comes with sux.
>>
>>21940
thank you!
I can see what you mean about the handle, luckily it's right about perfect size for my hand. as for the sheath, yeah I plan to make a replacement for it post hast. debating on leather, or a trying to dick around with making a Birch bark sheath, probably go with the former.
>>
Handled a Cold Steel Finn Wolf today.
It's definitely going on the "to buy" list. The roach belly was pretty nice as well but I had other things to pick up and I was after some specifics.
>>
The Roach Belly is a weird, but highly adaptable blade patten that is best realized in KOA's Yukon Belt Knife.

The Finn is a Mora with a Keaton handle made out of shittier steel.

Cold Steel is crap with intelligence.
>>
>>21942
>ever considering buying cold steel
>being this much of a fag
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.