[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone on /out/ sail? Pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11

File: FB_IMG_1490586211867.jpg (51KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1490586211867.jpg
51KB, 720x960px
Does anyone on /out/ sail? Pic related
>>
>>19956
I do. Both small and large boat. Super red pilled hobby
>>
Jup, will be sailing around Denmark late in may... Also building a small boat for sailing on lakes here in the region
>>
>>19956
I sail, a lot grew up on it actually, mainly raced 420's and Lasers, however I have sailed larger boats as well as raced knock-abouts catamarans.
>>
I'm not rich enough to sail but I've always wanted to
>>
>>19960
you could always be the cabin boy >:]
>>
>>19960
>Not using your /out/ist skills to make a ship yourself.
>Weakest race.
>>
>>19962
tfw made a sailing boat this simmer
>>
>>19958
>>19963

I demand pics
>>
>>19963
I Approve of this.
>>
>>19964
>>19965
its kind of a small tub, but its sailable and its super comfy to throw it in the back of the truck and take it to the local lake.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Construct-a-Simple-Boat/

sprit sail wasnt cutting it so i made a 40ish sqft lateen sail.
also i added proper oars and oar-mounts because the thing has terrible tracking in the water and tacking upwind takes forever even with the lateen.
>>
I'm currently in the process of buying a 60's-70's 25'-30' sailer to do a refit over the next few years.

>>19960
Not rich enough? You can get a 60's-70's glass fiber for free. Assuming you have time enough for a refit, which you should have, since you are poor.

>>19958
Sounds cool which part of dk, and on which boat?
>>
>>19966
I personally just own a Laser, one from the Centennial Olympic games or whatever pretty nice and taking it out on the open ocean is a Blast Especially up here in Cape Cod.
>>
>>19968
>Laser
those look sexy.
i built the boat just to see if i could, i want to get something similar when money allows
>>
File: 420_photo.jpg (32KB, 507x311px) Image search: [Google]
420_photo.jpg
32KB, 507x311px
>>19969
You can pick up a half decent one for about, 1,000 dollars.
Really depending on where you live, i was a sailing instructor at a club when I wasn't at the summer camp. So all the rich kids from off cape would sell their boats for cheap, needed a little patch work but sails freaking great.
I really want a 420 though.
>>
File: trude.jpg (84KB, 1080x814px) Image search: [Google]
trude.jpg
84KB, 1080x814px
I have a 26-footer that I sail a lot with around Bergen, Norway.

Sailed to Shetland and the Orkneys from here two years ago in a 29-footer, going to try going over in mine next year.
>>
>>19971
Awesome boat man, hows the sailing over that way embracing that viking heritage at all haha?

East coast is pretty great, I used to sail to Maine quite frequently from Massachusetts.
>>
File: sailing.jpg (271KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
sailing.jpg
271KB, 1080x1349px
>>19972
Thanks.
It's really comfy as long as you stay off the North Sea. Usually pretty good winds, although they're always coming against you. All the fjords make things a bit tight at times, making crossing time consuming. All in all very happy with it, not very into viking culture tho.

It's not the same as US sailing I think, I guess even Maine gets some rough seas?
>>
Yeah I lived on my 7.5 m sailboat, might move back on board again this year though I'm not looking forward to the sore neck from lack of headroom.

I sail out of Dublin, though havent left the marina in a couple years for various reasons. This year is the year!

Hoping to get my mileage up to yacht Master minimums so I can maybe do the course in the near future and work on superyachts
>>
Any of you guys follow good sailing vlogs? These guys don't update often and they've been spending a bunch of time on land too, but their production is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or6rmic8A6c
>>
I kinda want to just to network with rich people and impress girls.
>>
>>19973
What a wonderful boat you have though for real, kinda jelly. How come no viking days for you haha?
On our side of the Atlantic things get really, and I mean really fucking rough sometimes.
>12-20 foot swells
Makes sailing in small boats fun, thankfully we have a great coast guard.
>>
>>19967
A buddy of mine is selling his Oday 25 in Sanford Fl
>>
>>19977
Hah, thanks.
I love the boat too, got it for 1200$ from a friend, after ha had spent 3 years fixing it up with loads of smart solutions, including a solar panel.

We get those kind of seas just a few hours from my home harbour, if I go into the North Sea, but I prefer to stay in calmer waters until I feel I know the boat 100%.
When we sailed to Shetland last time we came into a moderate gale, and it was a little too much for me.

The viking people tend to be either white supremacists or neckbeards, I've never got on with them.
>>
>>19956
man, i went sailing in a little rinky dink 10' thing on the lake with my friend.

wind changed, snapped the boom all the way around and capsized us.

been off it ever since. i'll stick to motorboating thank you very much.
>>
>>19979
I feel the same way with my Slavic ancestry, but eh, they come as they come.

Sounds pretty chill though honestly, I wish I had a boat in my possession that could make it across the Atlantic.

However the low paying job of and EMT/Paramedic is making that impossible, I mean I guess I could try with a 420 it would be a hell of a trip though.
>>
File: DSC_0555.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0555.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>19967

sounds like a cool project.

We'll be going round sjaeland by kopenhagen, if weather holds round fyn too... start will be in germany actually, Heiligenhafen.

We'll be sailing a Dufour 350 GL

>>19964

was doing a bit of work on the bow last weekend, i'll try and take a photo of the whole thing in the next few days
>>
>in the year of our lord 2017
>not crafting a Chinese junk boat out of salvaged and scrapped goods
>>
Posting my story from the other thread here aswell
>>
File: 1490734975049.jpg (232KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1490734975049.jpg
232KB, 1600x1200px
>>19984
Pic related, my ship with a makeshift forejib.

We'd sail into any water that seemed like it'd go somewhere nice with 3 boats and like 15 people. We'd sleep under bridges and eat soup for 10 days.

The three staff members would only visit in the evening to check if no one had gotten a boom in their face while tacking.

I was captain for 2 years, my bud was my quartermaster. One time we decided to sleep on our boat which was docked under the bridge as well. The bridge was located right next to a lake and we could watch the sun set while the kids got a fire going. A while later we decide it's time to go to bed
> Putting out the fire and stuff the empty soup cans in a plastic bag
>Quartermaster bud comes over and tells me it's probs gonna rain tonight
It's probs better to sleep in the boat because sleeping near the edges of the bridge would get our stuff wet
>Why the fuck not
>Check the tent pegs that we used to dock the boat
>Seems secure enough
>Pull the sails and oars onto land to make space to sleep
>Go to sleep
>Wake up from keel making noise because of a ship passing by
>Go sleep again
>Wake up in the morning
>Keel making noise again because of waves
Could've expected this
>Tent pegs don't hold a steel ship with people in it
>It didnt rain that night
>Wake up my quartermaster
>We're in the middle of the fucking lake without oars or sails
>Ask him if he's got his bluetooth speaker
>He basically sleeps with the thing
>Yes
>Thankgod.jpg
>Remove ipod from speaker charger and start charging my phone
>Call the other captains
>Still asleep

We have some sort of morning swim while we waited for the others to wake up

>Try again
>Other captain picks up phone and asks where the fuck we are
>Can you come and bring our sails and oars?
>Other captain asks where the fuck we are and why we are gone without our sails again
>tell the story

They take their time getting ready for another day of sailing and they pick us up along the way

At least we avoided morning dishes
>>
File: 1490735255475.jpg (187KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1490735255475.jpg
187KB, 1200x1600px
>>19985
Posting the other picture aswell
>>
File: photo.jpg (77KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
77KB, 900x900px
>>19956

A bit with my Grandpappi and sisters. When I've gotten a little monu, I want to follow my cousins footsteps and race in the Clipper Round The World competition.
Its expensive af though.
One raced on the Garmin boat, the other on the PSP Logistics.
>>
>>19985
>>19986

I like your boat
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.