[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knot thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

File: blood-knot.jpg (68KB, 728x635px) Image search: [Google]
blood-knot.jpg
68KB, 728x635px
How many knots do you know off the top of your head?
My two goals for 2017 are to learn spanish and to learn enough knots to get me through the next 20 years of fishing and camping.

What are the easiest ways to learn knot tying ?
>>
>>19452

take up sailing
>>
>learning to tie knots

Get a rope and a boy scout handguide.
Or google that shit anon
>>
File: monkey head.jpg (467KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
monkey head.jpg
467KB, 2000x1500px
>family of 8s
>clove hitch
>munter hitch
>overhand on a bight
>edk
>prussik
>fisherman/double fisherman
maybe a couple more that i can't recall because i'm shitfaced. and i literally put my life in the hands of my knots; pic semi-related.
>>
>>19452
blood knot sucks compared to double uni, FG, or alberto knot. I don't think anyone actually uses a blood knot anymore.
>>
>>19456
forgot to say that I personally use FG for all my braid/mono connections. And a uni-uni or alberto for things like mono/flouro and splicing rope or twine.

Line->weight connection I just go with a uni knot because I can tie that one really fast.

Line-hook palomar, clinch or uni. I am not very good at tying palomars for some reason.

Line -lure typically palomar, uni, or loop knot.
>>
>>19456
I showed the bloodknot pic because I know it from fly fishing.
Its what I was taught years ago for tying leader to fly line.
>>
File: 1255813943169.jpg (774KB, 787x964px) Image search: [Google]
1255813943169.jpg
774KB, 787x964px
>>19452
>>
>>19452
>How many knots do you know off the top of your head?
bowline, water bowline, bowline on a bight, square, sheet bend, fisherman's, double fisherman's, anchor bend, alpine butterfly, tautline, rolling hitch, wagoneer's hitch, clove hitch, round turn and two half hitches, sheepshank (protip: don't bother, it's useless), carrick bend, lanyard knot, lark's head/cow hitch, slip knot, figure 8, figure 8 loop, directional figure 8 loop, improved clinch knot, palomar knot, blood knot, monkey's fist, bottle knot. A few more might spring to mind when the occasion arises. Also turk's head weave.

>What are the easiest ways to learn knot tying ?
Get a piece of paracord or a shoelace, go to http://www.animatedknots.com/ and practice.
>>
>>19460
>www.animatedknots.com
Where the fuck has this website been all my life?
>>
>>19452
>How many knots do you know off the top of your head?

40ish

only use like ten most of the time and that's just for fishing
>>
>>19456
Whats wrong with a blood knot?
>>
>>19463
It's a dad knot.
>>
>>19463
It takes forever to tie compared to more modern knots, it also doesn't have the same slim profile like the alberto or FG knot. I also think the breaking strength is lower than knots like FG.
>>
>>19465
Actually a blood knot has a very slim profile.
>>
can someone explain why you need to know anything other than all the ways to tie a figure eight?

I guess some slipknot like a bowline is another essential but other than 8,slipknot,overhand, is there any other knot worth knowing?

I guess the square knot is nice for ornimental purposes
>>
>>19467
>can someone explain why you need to know anything

There are many situations and while one knot will do, another know will be way better.
Its worth it to learn the knots.
>>
Tree surgeon here. The knots I use most often are prusik, bowline and running bowline, timber hitch, half hitch and double fisherman's.
>>
File: noose.jpg (40KB, 620x473px) Image search: [Google]
noose.jpg
40KB, 620x473px
Is this the only knot you should ever know?
>>
File: Bruce_Lee_1973.jpg (11KB, 220x294px) Image search: [Google]
Bruce_Lee_1973.jpg
11KB, 220x294px
>>19460
I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 knots once, but I fear the man who has practiced one knot 10000 times.
>>
File: IMG_0366.jpg (101KB, 464x470px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0366.jpg
101KB, 464x470px
>>19456
Trips confirms.

Was gonna say it looks like a shitty uni-uni
>>
>>19467
A bowline is a fixed loop knot not a slip knot.

Some random useful knots,

>truckers hitch
>bunt line hitch
>siberian hitch
>taught line hitch
>Canadian jam knot
>alpine butterfly
>zeppelin bend
>>
>>19473
Alpine butterfly is a useful ad elegant knot
>>
File: tarredtwine_36.jpg (9KB, 190x246px) Image search: [Google]
tarredtwine_36.jpg
9KB, 190x246px
>>19452
There are 4 basic knots you need to know.

Square Knot
Bowline
Clove hitch
Half-hitch

Get those right first.
The specialty knots you need to know are:

How to do a loop in the middle of a line (bowline on a bight or an alpine butterfly loop if you're a fancy boy like me)

How to do a clove hitch when all you have is the bight and then add a constrictor hitch to the repertoire just because it's a clove hitch with a twist.

Then learn a rolling hitch. Youtube is a better resource for that (for some reason)

Truckers hitch is also a good one but you can use a bowline to do what will be essentially the same thing.

Once you learn those, that's all you'll likely ever need for regular use for just about any situation you can imagine. You can get interesting and learn how to do ticking and splicing, some exotic but still useful knots (timber hitch, etc...).

But before any of those, get the 4 basics down. If you can't tie them upside down blind folded behind your back underwater, you don't know them.
>>
>>19459
I don't see my favorite truckers hitch anywhere

so easy and pretty damn useful
>>
hitches aren't knots. i will find you and kill you all and eat you, raw
>>
>>19466
not compared to FG.
>>
>>19471
The only one of those I might have to look up to tie again is the bottle knot.
>>
>>19476
It's so hard. The greatest knot of all
>>
Let's say you have some (three-four) saplings or long straight branches. How do you tie them together so you can haul them easily on your shoulder?
>>
two half hitches, bowline, prussic, Canadian jam, taught line, and my favorite the munter hitch
>>
>>19477
Get your raging autism in check. We know they're not but for the sake of simplicity in conversing knots, bends and hitches are together commonly referred to as "knots"
>>
>>19472

I've always hated that diagram - The hook flips over between figure 1 and figure 2 relative to the line. Gets me right in the OCD.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.