[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What pocket knife does /out/ carry? I used to have a RAT-1 but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 26

File: 318958_original.jpg (228KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
318958_original.jpg
228KB, 720x480px
What pocket knife does /out/ carry?
I used to have a RAT-1 but I lost it somewhere on campus so I just bought a Kershaw Cryo
>>
When I think pocket knife I think random 20$ folding knife honestly. I went into the army navy store and bought a folding K-Bar with serrations for 20 bucks after asking the guy for a rando utility folder.

I think when you're looking for an every day carry pocket knife it's really not worth spending much. It'll do the job.
>>
>>18406
>I think when you're looking for an every day carry pocket knife it's really not worth spending much. It'll do the job.

Yeah I definitely agree man. That's what I liked about the RAT and the Cryo. I got them on Amazon for like..20 bucks. The steel gets razor sharp, and holds the edge for a fair amount of time. I don't see why people spend over 100 dollars on "nice" benchmade and spyderco knives unless they're just into metallurgy and like collecting knives. I don't see the use for anything any more expensive than 30 dollars for a utility knife.
>>
>>18407
I carry around my ~$100 benchmade most days. Its nice having something that doesnt get loose over time and that was exactly what I was looking for - assisted open tanto half-serrated with a secondary lock. If I could find something of similar quality for cheaper I would jump on it.

I really like some CRKT knives, but none of them stood out as much and I've had a history of them getting loose over time.
>>
File: bsk.jpg (845KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
bsk.jpg
845KB, 2048x1152px
>>18405

sheepsfoot + bottle opener / screwdriver in a very handy package.
>>
File: 0546BKS-B.jpg (32KB, 770x513px) Image search: [Google]
0546BKS-B.jpg
32KB, 770x513px
>>18405
Buck knife. Specifically, the "Open Season Folding Skinner Knife." Less than $50 on Amazon.
>>
>>18405
righteous choices

although I had to mess with the spring bar on the cryo since it was really tough

been carrying sog flash II as kind of a beater
(don't buy one)

waiting to get some more scratch before picking up another knockoff from aliexpress
>>
Skeletool for EDC. Svord drop point hunter for cutting dead mammals. Cheap mirage KO3 dive knife for spearfishing.
>>
Delica
>>
Leatherman crater 33 if were talking straight uip knife

but mostly i carry a leatherman wave
>>
>>18405
Have you forgotten who you are asking?
This is 4chan.
>>
>>18405
Buck Bantam BLW
>>
Leatherman Charge TTI
>>
File: $_58.jpg (18KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
$_58.jpg
18KB, 500x375px
Still carrying a CRKT KISS after all these years. Haven't broken it yet and only sharpened it a few times. Nice one handed operation, solid construction and strong clip holds onto inside of pocket or makes a great boot knife. Paired with an original Leatherman Supertool, I'm covered for most basic tasks that I can't be bothered getting the right tool for.
>>
>>18405
>>
spyderco delica
>>
Swiss champ and an opinel no.9
>>
>>18418

this thing is mind boggling.

So it's what? 1/8'' thick, with a stupid geometry, and half a handle (because weight) and all those screws and other mechanical things, instead of just making a 1/16'' thick fixed blade under 2.5 ounces with the sheath.

Incredible.
>>
File: Spydiechef-4413.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Spydiechef-4413.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>18405
Spyderco Spydiechef. Thinnest edge geometry of any modern production folding knife I've ever seen, and nitrogen steels are amazing.
>>
File: knoife.png (246KB, 400x397px) Image search: [Google]
knoife.png
246KB, 400x397px
>>18405
Buck 110 and my grandad's old timer from the 70s.
>>
>>18415
Just one sword?

Back in my day a true Samurai never left his lair to protect his lady with two swords.
>>
>>18409
You forgot the part where its $110

No fucking thank you
>>
File: Favorite EDC knives.jpg (514KB, 1352x1409px) Image search: [Google]
Favorite EDC knives.jpg
514KB, 1352x1409px
>>18405
When I'm /out I often don't carry a folder because I don't want it to fall out of my pocket. Mostly I carry a neck knife or small companion blade for the finer tasks in it's place.

But I rotate through a lot of folders in my normal EDC. Pic related
>>
>>18405
Current rotation:
Benchmade DejaVoo II
Benchmade Apparition
Spydie Endura ffg
Spydie Calypso Jr.
One of many Opinels
>>
What do yall use for a fixed blade? Does anyone even use one whilst camping? I take a folder and a hatchet, but recently I've had a bone for the kabar/Becker bk7. It's long and fucking cool looking. Just unsure how useful it'd be.
>>
>>18429
I've never had a use for a blade that I couldn't do with either my folder or my hatchet to be honest. Get it if you think it's cool but the only fixed blade I have is a mora kek.
>>
>>18405
I carry a $3 Walmart folding pocket knife with greenish like camo. Solid and sharp and can hold a fairly good edge but I just need it more for protection if ever.
>>
File: 20170204_232228.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170204_232228.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
All I got is this atm. I lost my rat 1, my paramilitary 2 had a problem with the handle, waiting on spyderco to send it back from repairs.
>>
>>18427

How you like the code 4? Been debating on getting one.
>>
>>18431

If you use a knife for self defense, make sure to thrust and not slash. Study up on the human anatomy for major artery location. Also a weapon is suppose to be felt, not seen. So if you do pull it, do so in a manner that when you pull, you can strike.

Also check out Doug Marcaida, he is a master with using a knife for self defense, gives some really solid tips.
>>
File: my_knives.jpg (134KB, 1350x828px) Image search: [Google]
my_knives.jpg
134KB, 1350x828px
this is all my cutting shit

I use them all for different things. SAK is the daily though. The murrah is the most overall effective blade I have, but primarily I use it for cutting fruit up to eat and simple tasks like cutting twine and fabric. Once it goes into the dirt and muck I won't want to eat off it anymore.

The Kershaw Blur is great but of limited use to me, good for cutting up a tarp or such.
>>
File: IMG_0802.jpg (115KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0802.jpg
115KB, 600x600px
I use ally try to save weight when I carry my edc so I tend to have a light pocket knife cause I still need to carry some other stuff but a really nice knife for 60-70 dollars is the cold steel broken skull it's super light for its size and its tuff and durable featureing the strongest folding lock created so far and has xhp steel holds a razor sharp edge for a long time and it reshapens like a god when I was sharpeinging it I almost cried cause of how smooth it was
>>
>>18426
>$110

psshhh
it's only $92
>>
>>18435
gee bill, your mom lets you have TWO hatchets?!
>>
>>18438
she doesn't know about them :[
>>
File: 8102Q1FISPL._SL1500_.jpg (177KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
8102Q1FISPL._SL1500_.jpg
177KB, 1500x1500px
The Kershaw leek is pretty much ideal in almost every way. The speedsafe assisted opening is awesome. Great size, holds an edge well. Only drawback is the clip makes it sit too high in your pocket.

I picked mine up for like $20 at the state surplus store.
>>
>>18424
>tfw grandfather has that exact same knife
>>
My edc I found on a forklift. No one claimed it and I haven't managed to lose it in all these years.
>>
>>18429
Camillus ck-9
>>
File: Nomad.jpg (41KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Nomad.jpg
41KB, 800x800px
>>18405
Victorinox Nomad
>>
File: myman.gif (874KB, 400x223px) Image search: [Google]
myman.gif
874KB, 400x223px
>>18441
My dude!
>>
File: Cold Steel Code4 (chandelier 2).jpg (435KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Cold Steel Code4 (chandelier 2).jpg
435KB, 2048x1536px
>>18433
It's really amazing for the price. It's my #1 recommendation for a sub $100 folder.

I carry it when I'm working labor jobs.
-It carries very well because of how thin it is.
-Ergonomics are great, I've heard some say it's a bit too thin in hand, I think this is more of a problem for smaller hands
-CTS-XHP holds a great edge, and for $75 a steel like this is exceptional
-The edge geometry from box, could be better, but is not atrociously thick.
-It's strong, much stronger than a folder needs to practically be.
-The Tri-ad lock has held up great even when covered in crap and neglected.
-Very easy to take a part, the screws are very large and would be a challenge to strip. Be careful though, CS does not support taking apart their knives.

And the thing that stands out the most to me, it just seems like it should cost more than it is. I would find the fit&finish level acceptable for a knife twice as much.

tl;dr I highly recommend.
>>
>>18442
It's kind of funny, nearly every person I know who has one of those, at lest 2, has a similar story... seems like a knife people just happen to find.
>>
>>18445
it looks about the same too, old and worn as shit

it's in a box somewhere since he has dementia now and spends all day pissing himself

he also has a beat to shit f91w with it
>>
File: shaman.png (337KB, 351x531px) Image search: [Google]
shaman.png
337KB, 351x531px
>>18447
It is an evil talisman that was sent to earth by the knife god to test the pure of heart. They position themselves in warehouses and alleyways waiting for some poor soul to happen by in order to test their will. Will you pick it up? It's just sitting there... nobody will miss it... but that's what it wants you to do! You must turn the other cheek and leave it there, lest you be dragged down the primrose path of 440 stainless and partially serrated edges! Resist the urge, noble child!
>>
>>18448
Yeah, the pic I used was one I found on the web somewhere 'cause my camera is crap, but mine looks quite a lot like that. My friend wanted to get one a while back, so I checked ebay to see what they cost and holy crap are those things expensive these days! $70+ for something with the tip broken off and the delrin cracked and falling off!
>>
>>18450
it seems like now they're almost designed or like novelty quality instead of being meant as a work/utility knife
>>
>>18451
Yeah, it's kinda sad. Schrade seems to be working on their quality a bit though. Those schrade imperial folders are pretty awesome.
>>
File: DSC_0282.jpg (664KB, 1936x1296px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0282.jpg
664KB, 1936x1296px
I'm an autistic faggot who spends too much money on tacticool trash.
Real talk though, Microtechs are pretty good EDCs. I personally prefer flippers, but OTFs are perfectly fine. The UTX is one of their cheaper offerings as well, and I'm looking forward to the day I can get a Combat Troodon or Halo, or maybe even a Marfione custom.
>>
>>18453
What is that screw head pattern?
>>
File: IMG_0217.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0217.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>18454
Bullshit proprietary hardware so you have to send it back to them for any service.

But people who buy those don't actually use them. They're just a collectible.
>>
>>18454
Microtech's proprietary screws. You have to buy a $20 tool just to disassemble your knife, and then that disassembly voids the warranty.
Microtech's products are great, but it seems like they have no love for their customers.
>>
>>18456
>>18455
tony marfione is a piece of shit anyways when you read on him
>>
Would you guys say a serrated edge is necessary/useless on a portion of the knife? Asking for general hiking/camping tasks. I'm fine with buying both seperate but I'd rather not double up on gear pointlessly
>>
>>18458
Most people here hate it since it just means you lose a good portion of the blade that could be used to slice. Others will argue that the serrated part is good for rope, but a straight blade should cut that fine if you keep it sharp
>>
>>18459
I'm buying a set of whetstones alongside the knives i choose so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks dude, appreciate the reply
>>
>>18459
this

>>18460
>set of whetstones
you don't need to sharpen to grits in the thousands, especially if you want it to do well cutting things like rope

a single hard arkansas stone works just fine
>>
>>18461
I was just gonna buy one coarser stone and one finer for my kitchen
>>
>>18405
>but I lost it somewhere
This is why I stick to a $20 Gerber for a pocket knife. If you need something sturdier for camping, then bring a good straight knife. If you need something for regular use throughout the day, like on a job, get one of those folding razor blade knifes.
>>
File: 41063fH1GIL.jpg (18KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
41063fH1GIL.jpg
18KB, 500x333px
>>18458
Another general question. What kind of material should the blade be ideally? Looking at this simple guy just because the price is right and it's a fixed blade. I think it should work fine
https://www.amazon.ca/Szco-Supplies-Full-Hunter-Knife/dp/B007XP20EY/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1490727176&sr=1-1
>>
>>18462
sounds like a plan, maybe shoot for a rough one about 200 and a finer one around 600

the lanskys kit is a good investment: www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe-5-Stone-Sharpening-System/dp/B000B8IEA4

I usually only go up to 400-600, especially for kitchen knives since they really benefit from having the rougher edge that lets it grab and cut food more efficiently

>>18464
definitely look for something that is not, as one person put it, chineseium.....aka. random unknown steel

try to get a mora if possible, they're usually cheap, work well, and are stupidly easy to sharpen

if not possible, there is nothing wrong with using 440 stainless....people have been getting along without creative blade chemistry for quite a long time
>>
>>18465
Sweet, good looking out dude.I appreciate the post. I'll keep those grits in mind, I actually thought I'd want something much finer for my kitchen knives, but considering they're all relatively cheap it's prolly not right.

Mora's a name I'll look for too, if I cant find anything I've got just the 440 in mind. Thanks man
>>
>>18466
Look at old hickory too
>>
https://www.amazon.ca/Morakniv-Companion-Sandvik-Carbon-Military/dp/B009NZVZ3E/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1490731629&sr=1-1&keywords=Mora+knife
Thoughts on this?
>>
>>18468
yes

although if you've never used carbon steel, you may want to think about the stainless model

carbon requires cleaning and regular oiling to prevent rust, but a patina helps with that
>>
>>18468
You shouldn't have to pay more than $22CD for that. Carbon is fine to better, unless you're gonna be in saltwater. The stainless is not bad. The 12c27 steel that they use is also used by most razor blade manufacturers these days.
>>
File: 71lz0RbU9bL._SL1024_.jpg (211KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
71lz0RbU9bL._SL1024_.jpg
211KB, 1024x1024px
>>18467
Will do, thanks

What does /out/ think of? https://www.amazon.ca/MTECH-USA-MT-080-9-Inch-Overall/dp/B0060E56FO/ref=pd_ybh_a_57?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P57AC953GNBE1G31F0Y5
>>
>>18471
mtech = meme tier

stay away
>>
>>18472
No memetechs then, thanks.
>>
>>18470
Mora has literally stated in press release that their stainless outperforms their carbon. The USA is the main market for the inferior carbon steel.
>>
>>18474
Link?
>>
>>18474
Sauce
>>
File: Opinel_No_7.jpg (80KB, 719x374px) Image search: [Google]
Opinel_No_7.jpg
80KB, 719x374px
An old Opinel No.7

That's all I need,
That's all I'll carry.
>>
File: IMG_3113.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3113.png
2MB, 750x1334px
Guess what folding knife is in my pocket /out/
>>
>>18464
Get something in 1095 carbon. They take a good edge and are easy to sharpen
>>
>>18440
This - although another drawback is the very fragile tip. Been carrying a Spyderco Tenacious since I lost my Leek - also good, but chunky and of Chinese make.
>>
>>18478
>benchmade griptilian
>spyderco manix
>cold steel broken skull
>cold steel finn wolf

ehh?
>>
>>18478
broken skull
>>
>>18481
Fuck. Griptillian mini, you're good
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.