[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vulnerable when camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 27

File: IMG_1241.jpg (202KB, 750x1069px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1241.jpg
202KB, 750x1069px
How do I overcome this fear? With friends I feel safe but if I can't dare to go alone. If I start a fire it feels like
>"hey all dangerous people here I am"
and I also feel vulnerable in the light of a fire and I would feel extremely vulnerable sleeping alone in a tent, everyone can see my but I can't see anything

The only way I would feel safe would be if I created no artificial light after sundown and slept in a bush where no one could see me
>>
haha that would be some slick shit, set up tent fire everything sleep in bush 50ft away.
>>
>tejas
>first world
Pic one
>>
>>16748
>vulnerable
>having a firearm
Choose only one.

Of all places, this actually surprises me.
>>
>>16748
Just wear full camo, even in the summer. People will assume you're armed.
>>
I say that the pistol I bring out is for bears/ catamounts, but it's really for people. I don't worry about hostile animals, but I have encountered some fucked up individuals in the mountains.
>>
>>16751
>roam innawoods in the night with my 3 cannibalistic hillbilly friends
>see tent
>shoot tent
wow having a gun sure helped the person in the tent
>>
>>16748
happy nightmares OP

http://murderpedia.org/male.S/s/shearing-david.htm
>>
>>16754
Nice trips.
The story says they were camping on their own land. The creepy neighbor guy killed them.
>>
>>16751
>go to sleep with gun by your side
>deranged murderer waits till 3am because you'll be asleep like a log
>he very slowly opens the tent zip
>shoots you in your sleep

Are all americans as autistic as you?
>>
>>16748
>not camping with a pistol.

This is a really sad story but I almost want to say they were asking for it.
>>
>>16753
This is exactly the same thing I tell people about my backpacking revolver.

... accept I just say bear because wtf is are catamounts?
>>
>>16759
Mountain lions.
>>
if real paranoid you could get one of these setups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj_bn62EbRQ
>>
>>16748
>>16749
ahahah
im wayyy to high on lsd to deal with any of this shit.
>>
this thread is too much
>>
>>16754
>>16757
Doesn't really seem like having a gun could really hurt in those situations, though.
>>
>>16748
>going camping
>not carrying a gun
What are you, gay?
>>
>>16765
Have you read anything in the thread?
>>
It's simple; you become the killer. If your /out/ing is filled with the stalking and ultimate eradication of your prey, you don't have time to be afraid. Who's coming after you? Another deranged killer? Please. Assert your dominance over the weak and neverive in fear again.
>>
>>16748
I recommend you try living in someplace that isn't a shithole. Not only do I not lock my doors. I don't even have keys to my house, never have. I'm sure America has some very safe places too, Maine for example.
>>
File: 1451211213269.jpg (43KB, 431x415px) Image search: [Google]
1451211213269.jpg
43KB, 431x415px
>>16761

TOP KEK
>>
>>16768
>I don't even have keys to my house

That is only because Mohamed has them.
>>
>>16748
>Texas
>all those armed people
>6 murdered
i thought murder was illegal in Texas
how is this possible?
>gun laws and laws in general will always be broken

as far as OP is concerned
To get over your fear
first; Go armed
second; Sleep armed
third; Don't go alone
fourth; Sleep in shifts
>keep this routine, till you get over your fear.
>>
>>16759
>>16760
I had assumed in correctly that he had misspelled catapult. I was getting popcorn ready to eat while reading a story about California pot farmers uping their game.
>>
>>16771
Every so often we sacrifice a few for the greater good of keeping 2A alive. Gregg Abbott gave his legs to the cause.
>>
>>16752
I got a surprisingly great kick out of this post.
>>
>>16768
Where do you live? Svalbard?
>>
>>16766
Yeah, it seems that most people carry guns.
>>
Been camping for years only by myself, camped a total of 8 times with friends/family, over 60 times by myself everywhere from 1-7 days at a time. Never carried nor needed nor even felt like I need one... #Canada where I don't have to worry about some fucktard with a gun...
>>
>>16777
This 5bh

I went camping a few weeks ago and I slept with my axe by the sleeping bag. Normally an axe, hammer (if you take one camping for some reason) or a knife will do

t. Australia
>>
>>16748
Bring a Ruger Vaquero in 44 mag
>>
>>16775

He lives in the land of delusions.
>>
>>16777

You act like ppl don't get murdered in Canada. Don't forget about the family of six who were murdered in wells gray provincial park. Or all the women who were murdered on highway of tears. Stop acting like your place is so special, stupid faggot.
>>
>>16777
Well not everyone gets murdered with a gun, here in Minnesota, a guy beheaded his roommate in the woods for screwing his girlfriend. Also the gf of that one black guy that got shot by the cops for pretending to draw a gun was found guilty of bludgeoning anot her woman with a hammer. So regardless of laws pertaining to weapons, you're still going to have violent criminals.
>>
>>16764
no it can't hurt, it can really only help as long as you're legally allowed to have one

it's just a tool though, all it can do is be used by you if you're able to use it (ie not snuck up on at night)

honestly the best you could reasonably do would be dog + gun
>>
>>16778
>>16777
I'm not even worried about someone with a gun, if I'm asleep or camping or some shit I could just as easily have my head caved in with a rock.
>>
>>16748

This is why I pack an inflatable decoy. It's really just a sex doll, but I don't use it for that. I place it in my sleeping bag and I sleep in the side of my tent under my cooking equipment. Not comfortable, but I haven't been killed yet.
>>
nothing was lost, just some bleeding hearts who thought they were safe because "muh Texans will protect us"

Also, skinwalkers, not even once.
>>
>>16779

Are you me?
>>
>>16777
wait till a moose murders you
>>
>>16778
>is worried enough to sleep with a weapon to protect themsleves
>doesn't want to use the best possible weapon to do so
>>
>>16781
Must be why Amerifats wear Canadian flags on their packs when they go abroad eh?
>>
>>16788
I had a fucking moose bulldoze my fucking tent once. Fucking terrifying.
>>
>>16748
You know you're not actually supposed to sleep in the tent, right? You sleep in a tree stand above your camp with a woobie for warmth and a gun to shoot anything that gets into your tent.
>>
>>16753
Same here. Spent a lot of time on the Appalachian and Florida trails, and lots of hiking in the Catskills, Smokies, and all over Georgia. Never once felt uneasy about the wildlife. OFTEN ran into sketchy humans and was glad to be armed. I did actually set up a tent once and sleep in a camo bag about 25 yards away from it because of weirdos in the area.
>>
>>16768
Places where the population is relatively devoid of racial minorities, yes. Those are pretty safe. Then you only have to watch out for the rare white psycho, not the common and predictable opportunistic criminal predator of color.
>>
>>16777
More like Canada where you have an overwhelmingly white population and don't have gangs of opportunistic blacks and latinos. You do realize that here in the US, 6% of the population (black males) is responsible for nearly 50% of all murder, and nearly 80% of all violent felony crime, right? Check the FBI stats if you like.
>>
>>16768
Can confirm. I live in Maine and I've never locked the door to either my house or my car in my entire life.
I dog-sitted for some people with a sweet-ass mansion in the middle of town, and just to seem professional I asked for the keys. They said they never lock their door while on vacation and weren't even sure where the key was.
I've even had an iPod sitting on my car dashboard for about two years.
Damn right I'm proud of where I live. Makes me sad to hear people think a gun is a necessity to be at ease in the world. Y'all live in the Congo or what?
>>
>>16796
Maine's stock is mostly English, right?
>>
>>16797
Yeah, I hate to say this but our lack of chocolate-faces is a pretty evident factor in our low crime rate. Almost 100% of serious crimes here are committed by non-whites, i.e. out-of-staters. Our governor had the gall to point this out recently; the democrats kicked up a shitstorm of course but all normal people just poker-faced because we know it's true.
>>
>>16748
Watch "Deliverance"
Arm self wif purdy mouf
Have no fear
>>
>>16789
But I'm not delusional, I know that an axe won't help me if someone wants to kill me while I'm asleep
Plus, guns are rare in crimes here unless it's bikie gangs
>>16784
This desu. When you're asleep, you're entirely vulnerable for like 7 hours
>>
Only one person recommended getting a dog. No wonder everybody thinks this board is filled with trigger happy dipshits
>>
File: Why_tho.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Why_tho.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
>>16748
Well there is always the lurk/stealth camping. Just get some camo/olive bivi or tarp and sleep in offtrail bushes. As long as you are not in bear country all is safe. Cant make fire tho, so i'd suggest investing into a primus of sorts.

Plenty of info on that online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCdX8Z5R_w8
>>
>>16801
I pretty much only bring the dog if the whole family is going. I bring a firearm every time.
>>
File: 21.jpg (50KB, 530x298px) Image search: [Google]
21.jpg
50KB, 530x298px
>>16802
>cant make fire tho
Yes you can.
>>
>>16803
what is the best alert dog? according to 1 minute google bull mastiff. I want a pug but it would just fart and roll over why I got shot.
>>
build camp near highway

>hurr durr
>>
File: NewBrunswick_CoatOfArms.png (507KB, 460x600px) Image search: [Google]
NewBrunswick_CoatOfArms.png
507KB, 460x600px
>>16770
>Mohammed
>In the Maritimes

We have no Mohammeds, Jamals, Xings, Rhajeets, or Schlomos to speak of. Mostly just Nigels and Pierres with a few Milks Buffalos

>>16775
New Brunswick, Canada

>>16794
95.7% non-hispanic white in the province (almost all Brit and French) and 2.5% Amerindian/Métis.

>>16796
Maine really is the best neighbor
>>
File: PicsArt_03-15-10.46.45.jpg (581KB, 1529x2001px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_03-15-10.46.45.jpg
581KB, 1529x2001px
>>16805
I have a mastiff pup (pic related). They are undoubtedly the best all around guard dogs but come with a few problems. Relatively low life span at 9 years, a handful of common genetic health issues, they don't outgrow the hyper puppy phase until they are 3 years old, and they are a bit harder to train than the average breed.
>>
>>16796
>in the Congo or what

Murder rates per 100,000

>Democratic Republic of the Congo

>Chicago, USA

Parts of America are more dangerous than the Congo
>>
>>16809
Just dropping in to let you know that youre FUCKING RETARDED
>>
>>16810
Calm down Chicago
>>
>>16748
>>16762
Maybe try not "camping" like a fucking normie
>>
>>16771
Guy that did it was a horror movie tier meth addict East Texas redneck who owned the property next to where they were camping. He'd gone over and acted friendly to them during the day, went home, did a shit-ton of mixed drugs after dark, and then decided it was murder time.

>>16773
>the right honorable Governor Wheels
kek

Always cracked me up that he sued the people whose tree fell on him, then when he was the Texas attorney general kept suing the federal government about the "horrible overreach embodied in the Americans with Disabilities Act".

>>16809
Out of curiosity, what's the overall rate for the US versus the rate of the worst part of the DRC? I want to see how it compares to the overall DRC/worst part of US that you've got there.
>>
>>16813
Nationwide the USA reports 4.9 per 100K. Which is higher than most highly industrialised nations but lower than the global average of 6.2.
It's a bit sketchy though, for example some countries count suicide as part of the homicide rate and some, like the USA, don't.
>>
You probably carry a knife or axe, right?
Just get used to sleeping with the blanket only folded over once (or zippers on the sleepingbag unzipped) and your tool in reach. unless somebody shoots you from a distance (which is about the rarest form of murder) you should be able to fight back, and if somebody wants to snipe you, they don't need to wait until you're alone for it.
>>
>>16814
>It's a bit sketchy though, for example some countries count suicide as part of the homicide rate and some, like the USA, don't.
Nigger please

No country counts suicide as homicide, a lot of countries, however, only count murder while the US numbers are all homicides
>>
What does /out/ carry for protection when solo camping?
>>
>>16795

>Black and hispanics
>Innawoods

Yeah okay.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-15-13-30-18.png (357KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-15-13-30-18.png
357KB, 1440x2560px
>>16813
>>
>>16748
Girl I went to high school with's parents were robbed and shot while camping in eastern OR.
>>
File: 20170127_185013.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170127_185013.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>16808
Nice looking pup. Most working breeds will alert when someone comes around. I've got a shepherd mix that is way too alert innawoods so that I don't get much sleep when we take him.

Pic related.
>>
>>16819
>Breitbart
>a reliable news source with quality reporting

The judge presiding over the case put a gag order on the investigation to keep details from leaking to the media.

Here's the local news talking about the guy, his problems with drinking and anger, and suspicions that he was using drugs: http://www.palestineherald.com/news/downward-spiral-accused-killer-s-life-took-a-dark-turn/article_0455413c-9b24-11e5-a3aa-0f6de444bad7.html
>>
>not setting up ir/nightvision/motion detection system alarm 5 meters around the perimeter

at least set up some damn string and bells.
>>
Personally I try to be a hard prey. With my fedora and my katana no foe can stand a chance against me.
Jokes aside, I do work out and practice martial arts, as well as carry different sorts of defensive arsenal (pepper spray, knives, even a staff) for different situations.
I have never ever had any problem though, not that I've been a lot innawoods, but I do realize it's a fat chance that you'll get killed by some psycho. However, as prepared as you might be, you are always in peril, it's part of going out and as it turns out, you are as vulnerable at home, under the illusion of safety.
>>
>>16823
>string and bells
I've done this in black bear country.
>>
>>16808
Yeah, I had mastiff and he passed at 10. I really like the breed (and other big dogs)but the life span is what makes me not want to get another one.

Mine wasn't too bad to train, I guess the best way to describe him was sort of slow and stubborn sometimes. Also drool but depending on who you talk to that's cute or gross. 10/10 dog though.
>>
>>16804

Does anyone have the screencap of the guy who first saw this fire technique and thought to ask how the dirt in the middle stays afloat?
>>
>>16816
Wrong
>>
File: e12.png (537KB, 692x577px) Image search: [Google]
e12.png
537KB, 692x577px
your gonna die
im gonna die

if you get viciously murdered atleast it will make a fun headline,
>>
>>16817
bear mace
>>
>>16817
>read thread
Firearms, mostly.
>>
File: 1320468651228.jpg (11KB, 250x202px) Image search: [Google]
1320468651228.jpg
11KB, 250x202px
>>16828
nice rebuttal.

1) no meaningful country includes suicides in their homicide figures

2) yuropoors massage their numbers by not including all homicides

F A C T S
>>
>>16832
>yuropoors massage their numbers by not including all homicides
Truth.
>>
>>16831
yeah like what
>>
>>16753
Please tell of your encounters. And where this was if you dont mind. Did not know this was a thing
>>
>>16757

>in your house going to sleep
>deranged murderer waits till 3am because you'll be asleep like a log
>he very slowly opens your door (or window)

see what I did there?

stop being a scared little bitch
>>
>>16821
Is that a dingo?
>>
>>16805
I've got a boxer, definitely not the best breed for the job but I'd recommend. Mine is defensive but not aggressive, and is a better judge of character than I am. She'll bark at salesman, and a creepy guy who got his mail delivered to my house months after he moved out stopped coming to collect it after she growled and bared her teeth. Downside is she's not quite big enough to take down a full sized man (she's about 60 pounds) but I'm confident she'd make a good sidekick if ever I had to fight someone off.

Side note, lots of people have trouble with boxers and other short noses dogs because they have trouble regulating temperature when hiking long distances, but mine can keep up with me pretty well. She just eats and sleeps well when we make camp.
>>
>>16838
Keep in mind that a dog in attack mode can't tell his owner from the bad guy once they get tangled up. The dog will just keep ripping at whoever until the fight stops.
>>
Unlike some of my other fellow Canadians in this thread I generally bring a gun when I'm going into the backcountry. You never know if you'll run into predatory animals, or humans. I've ran into a few people in the woods who gave me really bad vibes
>>
>>16755
>no ideas what horrors those girls suffered in their two days with Shearer

Why arent these people simply shot?
>>
File: home-alone.gif (895KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
home-alone.gif
895KB, 500x269px
>>16785
nice. I do the same.
>>
File: what to take camping.jpg (50KB, 534x401px) Image search: [Google]
what to take camping.jpg
50KB, 534x401px
>>16834
>>
>>16836
>not having a security system
You get what you deserve.
>>
>>16839
I don't 100% believe this but fair enough. I didn't get her as a guard dog but she does make me a little more comfortable when I have to walk places at night. If nothing else a companion can help make you feel more secure, which is what OP seems to be looking for.
>>
>>16841
Agreed. Generally speaking I'm pretty liberal but I agree with the death penalty. I think it's implemented poorly and should be reserved for cut and dry cases, but overall I don't think we should rule it out.
>>
>>16759
There's catamounts where i live too. Colorady.
>>
>>16840
There are few situations where this is legal.
American detected.
>>
>>16848
Crown land is fair game my man. Obviously I'm not packing in Provincial parks
>>
>>16782
Also, a guy got ritualistically murdered up in Hibbing. I'm moving there in a few months so I can be more/out/.
>>
I was camping once and I woke up to the sound of coyotes in the distance. It was a weekday and therefore not a lot of campers at the place we were at. Very nearly shat myself and layed there unmoving for what felt like hours until it seemed more distant and I fell asleep. Too afraid to even move enough to wake up my boyfriend. From now on I carry a pistol when I go camping because good god I have never been more afraid in my life.

Also, I heard that men peeing around a campsite wards off predatory animals because they smell the testosterone or some shit.
>>
>>16844
>cuts power
>>
>>16851
It doesn't, in fact it might even attract animals because of the salt in your urine.
>>
>>16814
You're wrong about the suicides but a lot of European countries only count homicides that get a conviction

If you count all "violent deaths of interest to the police" in the UK for example you get a higher murder rate than the US
>>
>>16853
That's the dumbest shit I've ever read, go piss on your neighbors dog and see how often it keeps coming back
>>
>>16768
In florida and noone locks their doors here. I am 100% certain that if I wasn't there to shoot an intruder in my home my neighbors would get the job done for me. I've been called on multiple occasions from my neighbors telling me someone was driving around or parked infront of my home.

Feels good living in rural USA.
>>
File: eaZrosc.png (363KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
eaZrosc.png
363KB, 5000x5000px
>>16748
They probably setup their camp on a cartel growing operation.

Obligatory:

>hispanics
>human
>>
File: Untitled-11-630x339.jpg (33KB, 630x339px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-11-630x339.jpg
33KB, 630x339px
>>16748
desu I would only feel safe if I:

1. Setup a tripwire around the campsite.

2. Went camping with a friend and we slept in shifts. One has to be awake at all times.
>>
File: 11.jpg (180KB, 940x664px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
180KB, 940x664px
>>16748
Hey guys, I'd hate to go Arthur on your asses but this is a simple Aesope. You can't just let terrible things that happen in your life prevent you from living your life. Come on, it's the simplest most faggot ridden Aesope out there.

Outdoor Sporting of any sort is prone to an endless amount of danger, and the point of outdoors for many people is to enjoy this beautiful and deadly part of our lives by minimizing risk factors and using knowledge to stay strong and safe.

Your chances of being attacked by a wild animal are far greater than being murdered in the wilderness by a crazed redneck, and to be honest, not much can prepare you for murderous intent but reaction and planning. Unfortunetly these folks where blindsided, and unable to prepare for such monstrosities. You guys can discuss /pol and how you would take on that situation all you want, but when it comes down to it you could be the lucky million who continue to avoid terrible causes of death in all their forms... or you might be the unlucky 730,945th person who passed under the bridge that month to find a giant concrete slab has smashed you and your family of 4 in the blink of an eye.

come on guys. keep on /out. Don't be scared of just how rudely nature shows the fragility of your mortality, just roll with it. OP of Lyme disease thread should read this as well.
>>
>>16795
I've been going camping for years (both innawoods and RV camping) and I've seen Africans maybe twice and one Latino family.
>>
File: 04_jesus-wept.jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
04_jesus-wept.jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
>>16748

Probably not true for everyone, but I'm 35 and I'm mostly 'ehhh fuck it' when worrying about murderers.. If they're too slow they're going to get shot a lot and then dissected for sweet tasty human meat. Probably butterfly their skin between two close trees. Maybe paint a somewhat clever joke on it.

I do set up noise traps like bells or IR alarms when concerned. Mostly not tho.
>>
>>16857
At least two anons found news articles about this earlier in the thread. An angry hick killed them.
>>
>>16765
>needs to carry a gun to feel safe
>>
>>16748
Man the fuck up, at least that's my advice
>>
>>16863

You know guns are good for putting holes in murdershits? We had a camper die here to a vagrant murderer. She could have shot him, but no gun on hand.
>>
>>16804
Is this person cooking a turd?
>>
>>16865
where the fuck do you guys live?
>>
>>16809
>parts of america ARE the congo
>>
>>16844
>>16852

exactly.

You can always make up a scenario where you're vulnerable and get fucked.

I feel more aprehensive in the city than in the woods.

For one thing theres on one in the fucking woods. And in the woods I carry an axe, so if anyone did start anything..
>>
>>16867

GA US

Vagrant kidnapped hiker for three days and killed her. Killed other people earlier too.

In highschool my friend was abducted from a mall, murdered, thrown in a ditch, and then the murderer drove down to texas and killed himself.

Thar be murderers out there. At least keep an eye out... that's free and do-able.
>>
File: doggoedit.png (984KB, 880x1107px) Image search: [Google]
doggoedit.png
984KB, 880x1107px
>>16754
>>16757

I dont think this is helping OP desu
>>
>>16858
Trip wire don't help if it doesn't make noise
>>
>>16872

you can get .22 round tripwire pretty easy. it's loud as fuck.
>>
>>16873

pic is such things
>>
>>16817
My AR.
>>
>set up perimeter alarm with 4 different zones
>one goes off
>you grab your gun
>another one goes off
What do you do? Serious question. What to do even if just one goes off?
>>
>>16753
I understand completely, I am not a fan of guns but I can completely understand why someone would want them while backpacking. Unless you are being a complete retard and sleeping with your food, there is no reason you will ever need to fear animals. People are the most dangerous animals and you will never know who you may come across when in the backcountry. You are more likely to be attacked by another person than a bear.
>>
>>16876
Shoot first, ask questions later

Also exit tent, quietly retreat to cover in a direction they didn't set off and reapproach when ready to assess and act
>>
>>16873
I use .22 Ramset charges, they are the same thing minus the bullet availablen in any hardware store. Don't need a firearms license to buy.
>>
>>16859
>>> snap, snap, snap
>>
>>16774
I know exactly what you mean, weird.
>>
>>16827
>he doesn't know how to make the dirt float.
novice warlock detected.
>>
>>16757
when i camp i start dozing off a couple hours after sundown and spend the night napping and waking up at every little sound (at least for the first few nights) so i'd be awake with the gun ready
>>
>>16879
>killing camp intruder with .22 ramset impact hammer

when
>>
>>16748
Sounds like you need to go stealth camping.
>>
>>16809
> Comparing murder rates from an urban metropolis to an entire, vastly rural country

Good one m8. Go to the Congo alone, see just how safe you feel. Also about 95% of Chicago isn't dangerous at all and the "bad" areas are fine as long as you stay away on summer nights and use your common sense.
>>
>>16844
>Fell for the security system ruse.
>>
>>16886
>congo: 67million people
>chicago: 2million people
>the anon you were responding to: retarded
>>
>>16804
It would be 100x easier to just make a wall of dirt/sticks/rocks around your fire than to try to dig a hole with a little tunnel to the base.
>>
>>16889
lolwut

you can dig one of those in <10 mins with your bare hands providing the ground isnt shit like rocks and clay. bring a trowel and cut that in half. when was the last time you went outside anon?
>>
>>16876
You shine your flashlight around and find what did it with your gun at the ready.
>>16878
is a retard, ignore him. In no state are you allowed to shoot someone unless you have a reasonable fear for your life or person. If you do what this dumbass says you'll shoot a park ranger or cop who's stopping by to warn you that your fire is spreading.
>>
>>16890
>lolwut
>you can dig one of those in <10 mins with your bare hands providing the ground isnt shit like rocks and clay. bring a trowel and cut that in half. when was the last time you went outside anon?

There's more than one soil region, dork. I'm from Virginia where the soil is exactly rocks, clay, and roots. You can't dig shit with your bare hands.
>>
>>16892
what did you miss the part where i said bring a fucking shovel? you are seriously trying to tell me digging a hole is too hard so you'd rather build some retarded fire pit out of sticks and rocks that wont even do the same thing as the dakota fire hole?
>>
>>16892
Soil type is not regional at all. Its based on 5 formation factors: 1.) Parent material, 2.) Geologic time scale 3.) Climate, 4.) Topography 5.) Biological legacy.
>>
>>16894
Soil type is very regional, exactly because of the 5 things you just said.
>>
>>16895
know what isn't regional? a god damn shovel
>>
>>16896
I laughed.

I really do hate people who dig fire pits though.
>>
>>16897
i've never understood just leaving them. i always fill mine in and pile the rocks under a tree nearby in case anyone else comes around needing to make one. it always breaks the immersion when you hike 5 miles up into the forest/mountains only to find a new fire pit every hour
>>
>>16898
I guess I don't hate you add much as I hate the rest of them then.
>>
>>16817
Generally, just a sidearm. It's not difficult to find a reason to bring a long gun though.
>>
Dakota fire hole
>>
>>16748
Get a gun faggot. I bring gun camping. Not worried.
>>
>>16818
The advertisements for national parks and "going to the forest" ads in my area all feature young mexican families or even funnier, a black family complete with father! These guys at the forest service sure know how to make me smile.
>>
>>16899
>>16898

Leave no trace is exactly because of this, so you wont ruin someone else his isolation.
>>
>>16791
Story please
>>
>>16757
Jokes on you. I wake up if a fly farts near me when sleeping innawoods.
>>
>>16841
because it's always possible the cop raped the little girls planted the evidence and beat the living crap out of a likely suspect albeit innocent in this case to confess.

that's pretty much why we don't shoot people and also the fact that prison is not a very nice place to live the rest of your life in is also a factor.
>>
>>16906
I sleep for three hours at a time. what am i gonna do all night in the woods?
>>
>>16790
i wouldn't want anyone thinking im a bagged milker or support your cuck PM.....
>>
>>16829
I'm in too much debt to go out and die. My co-signer (mother) can't handle my debt payments. It would financially ruin the family.
>>
>>16748
Get yourself a dog lad. I take my Alsatian with me when /out/ and I feel a million times safer, any axe murderer/local gypsy is going to think twice about carving you up while you sleep when you have a great fuck off dog with you.
>>
>>16891
If they don't loudly and clearly identify themselves then you are within your rights to shoot

>I thought it was a bear, what else would I reasonably expect to encounter that's that size?
>>
>>16748

The more people around = the more chances of danger

/out/ is much safer in regards to human troubles

But, it's a million times more dangerous with exposure, getting lost and hurting yourself

The latter are what you should fear
>>
>>16748
Sounds like you need a sword or two...
>>
>scared of artificial light giving away position

So don't use it?
Become one with the bush and fucking dissapear nigger, if you can't get over an irrational fear, you are going to have to work around it.
>>
>>16757

>Not setting up sound traps around your perimeter

Found the POG
>>
>>16887

>Not knowing what a security system is

It can be anything from reinforced locks that would make a lot of noise to break open, to dogs, to sound alarms, and a combination of all those
>>
File: 1485382180943.png (213KB, 396x479px) Image search: [Google]
1485382180943.png
213KB, 396x479px
>>16815
back when I was in scouts we did a night hike and a dude with a thermal scoped rifle was arrested in the same forest. tfw he listened in on the scout master and called people's names
>>
>>16757
I have a 120 lb dog who barks like a howitzer whenever a stranger comes within a mile of my camp.
>>
>>16748
>camp with dog and gun
There I fixed it
>>
>>16843
where do I contact my local sexual tyrannosaurus?
>>
>>16891
wtf give away your position and give them a bright target?

you stay quiet and retreat to a place where you can observe that provides cover or concealment.

if you are going full retard with tripwire alarms you should also have scouted a position to fall back to until you identify the treath and a plan.

you already lugged arround 30lbs of shit to feel safe, use some common sense too.
>>
>>16777
I'm in Canada and I always bring a lever action or short barrelled 12 gauge when I go out. Stop acting so high and mighty you fucking pylon.
>>
>>16922
A bright enough light is very disorienting anon. Mine will blind the shit out of someone.
>>
>>16924
not if you point it on the wrong direction anon.

it will just tell people where you are looking and where you are. if somebody is out to do you harm and they don't scare off from a .22 going off by them then you may need a more though out plan.

often when I do security on a really ghetto place with blind corners, or adjacent open rooms, or big open spaces at night, I carry two flashlights and hold one over my shoulder pointing back or one at each side, or point to the entrance of the room ahead while I look in to the one I'm front of me. it makes me feel better
>>
>>16790
Canadian here
I wear this flag with me instead
>>
Grab an AKM or SKS or something before going innawoods.
Go in with a buddy who's also armed and use different tents.
>>
File: wch-3.jpg (163KB, 1568x992px) Image search: [Google]
wch-3.jpg
163KB, 1568x992px
>>16835
West Virginia. I've run into dope grows, meth cooks, moonshiners, and feral children quadbike gangs.
>>
>>16777

>he thinks people don't bring guns when going /out/ in Canada

Tell us more about your "hikes" on the paved trails in Stanley Park.
>>
File: 1478845203268.jpg (57KB, 325x505px) Image search: [Google]
1478845203268.jpg
57KB, 325x505px
>>16926
My man.
>>
>>16783

I mean, a gun and a dog are nice, but nothing says " I can sleep well tonight" like three layers of pic related completely surrounding your camp with an equal amount of 12ga anti foot mines scattered between them.

Anyways, I won't ever sleep while out again after I woke up to a retard sitting 15 feet away watching me sleep. I might be a bitch, and it almost certainly will never happen again, but I ain't ever going to chance it.
>>
>>16931
>I woke up to a retard sitting 15 feet away watching me sleep.

You what?! What the fuck
>>
>>16755
I hate you
>>
I live in somewhere actually dangerous so I would never go camping outside like this, specially alone.

Three guys minimum, each gets a 2 hour shift as the sentinel.
>>
>>16931
I would like to hear that story
>>
>>16827
how does it though
>>
>>16935
>>16932

Not really anything exciting, but off-putting enough to spook me away for life.

>be 17
>got my first truck (shity old Tacoma)
>decide to take it car camping
>go to my spot in back pasture
>set up
>do my shit
>sleep
>wake up to movement
>Doug the retarded neighbor boy is sitting at my dying fire staring at me
>call Doug's brother
>bring Doug home

Doug is entirely harmless unless you are a small animal but it's never pleasant waking up to a retard who has a reputation for killing cats and dogs, especially when he's 5 miles from home and watching you sleep.
>>
>>16936

I would assume it has to be fairly dense soil like clay. If you tried that here you collapse it right away because it's all sand.
>>
this got racial pretty quickly but how is the homeless situation like in maine? what about the real estate market, any 10-20k houses or plots of land for sale? what about youth unemployment, we sitting at 50-60%?
>>
>>16859
t. vicious murderer
>>
>>16937
Oh, ok. I pictured you like 8 miles down a trail or something waking up to some random tarded guy at 2 am standing over your tent
>>
>>16937
thats still kinda scary
>>
>>16937
>reputation for killing cats and dogs
>5 miles from home and watching you sleep
Sounds like a murder in the making
>>16934
Where?
>>
>>16943
>Sounds like a murder in the making

He better hurry up, he's already in his late 40's by now. but yeah, I had the same thought.
>>
>>16805

Almost all "proper" dogs
>>
>>16805
i have a kelpie and a collie they go nuts if a mouse comes close.
>>
>>16934
I'm curious as to where as well.
>>
File: 1488081246494.png (67KB, 995x556px) Image search: [Google]
1488081246494.png
67KB, 995x556px
>>16928
>feral children quadbike gangs.
Gonna need that greentext
>>
File: 1465925357775.jpg (40KB, 352x259px) Image search: [Google]
1465925357775.jpg
40KB, 352x259px
>>16928
>feral children quadbike gangs
>>
>>16948
holy fucking shit more of this?
>>
>>16940
kekd pretty audibly
>>
>>16950
>>>/x/
>>
>>16919
kek'd hard dude. Need me a dog like that!
>>
>>16801
Can the Dog run off and get lost? Or do you guys walk with leashes?
>>
File: sp00kycookies.png (79KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
sp00kycookies.png
79KB, 640x400px
>>16950

>>>/x/18817207
>>>/x/18809171
>>
>>16955
>>16952
ty
>>
>>16748
Hammock camp in a camo hammock, get high in the trees.
>>
>>16936
There's soil to the front and back, think 3D.
>>
File: oil-pump.jpg (13KB, 220x330px) Image search: [Google]
oil-pump.jpg
13KB, 220x330px
Well, it's Texas, what did they expect? People there are fucking crazy.
Also where would they camp in fucking Texas? Next to one of those oil pumps, in the middle of nowhere?
>>
Dogs + friends, and camp away from civilization.
I live in a 100% white country with very low crime rate and yet some teenagers killed an old lady walking in the forest for shits and giggles and also to sell her car online, people who were camping with children were attacked by locals for a bullshit reason, and I assume there are more unreported innawoods crimes.
>>
>>16748
Get a Ruger SP101 with a 4" barrel.

five rounds of .357 MAG is enough unless your fighting off a drug cartel patrol.
>>
>>16777
Violence and other bad things happen everywhere.

Don't be an idiot.
>>
>>16795
Actually, because white Canadians are such push overs, the Yakuza of all things have heavy influence in Canada.
>>
>>16790
Not me, hell, I wear the EGA and my unit patch on my bags...I'm basically daring for a euro Hadji to behead me.
>>
>>16817
Depends, mostly a .357 magnum revolver or a .45 ACP 1911 on my hip.

If I go deep woods with large game/predators like bears I carry a .45 Long Colt in a DA revolver in a chest rig.
>>
>>16748

>This thread asking for advise for camp protection; get's answered by anti gun Michael Moore types and children trying to scare other children

Might as well feed the chaos...have pleasure sleeping on your bedroll tonight...fags...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P37O_mvmaM
>>
>>16959
It's no country for old men...unless your rich and live in Dallas, or your a hipster and live in Austin.

Don't get me started on those Pan Handle faggots.
>>
>>16827
Was literally waiting for someone to post a similar response, having not seen this image before.
>>
>>16821
Upsidog.
>>
And now I have to bring empty cans and fishing line on my next campout. Thanks
>wake up to rocks rattling in cans
>grab m16a1
>GOOKS IN THE WIRE
>set off claymores
>scream "it ain't me" and run for the LZ
>>
>>16970

If you watch the movie Bone Tomahawk, one of the guys who is a war veteran sets up bells on a wire to alert them of bandits walking up on their camp and in the night it actually works in detecting a trio of Mexicans.
>>
>>16873
This is a good idea. I'm gonna make some kids shit themselves playing woodsball
>>
>>16859
OP is a huge faggot.Ever.
>>
>>16905
I was in my tent and a fucking moose fucking bulldozed it
>>
>>16818
Not him, but when I lived in Tucson the cartels would come to the desert to drop bodies. My father and I went hunting with a family friend who warned us about it.
>>
>>16850
Hello fellow MN'er! I was born and raised in Hibbing, live in Cloquet now though. There's a bit of a drug problem, stay away from that. Everyone's a loner though, so it's easy. The good bar is Palmer's for food, the best restaurant is the Mexican one by the mall, the best bar for an /out/ guy would probably be the Hwy 73 tavern, my uncle works there.

I'll tell you right now, you're going to want to go to Beauty Mountain, it's this trail that is AMAZING. the iron ore mounds are cool to hike too.
>>
>>16748
Don't camp in the USA. It's simply not safe.
Thread posts: 230
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.