[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gloves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 13

File: 94241A-86W-M1-540x540.jpg (73KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
94241A-86W-M1-540x540.jpg
73KB, 540x540px
What are the best gloves for being /out/?

I'm a college student in our schools ROTC program and we're out in the woods for a few hours a week doing stuff, occasionally on some weekends we are out for 2-3 days at a time.

I've found that gloves fall into either,
>wow these are too fucking big and bulky and I can't use my rifle, pouches, compass, or map

Or

>Wow, these are tacti-cool and I can use my fingers but it's just as cold, wet, and miserable as if my hands were completely bare

I've had this problem with everything from shitty army issue to cool-guy oakley type stuff.

Is there any type of glove that will give me proper hand mobility while also making me want to kill myself less when it's cold and wet?
>>
File: FILE0353.jpg (147KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
FILE0353.jpg
147KB, 800x600px
>>16702
Cold-weather dirt bike or warm-weather snowmobile gloves work well for me.
Thin enough to maintain dexterity for most tasks, insulated enough to keep hands warm.
Usually have a pair of mechanix gloves with me, those are nice in the spring.

One pair of gloves isn't enough. Bring 3-4 pairs. Some days i'll soak two pairs in a day of riding.

Also recommend carrying a heavier set of insulated gloves, if it's cold enough to need gloves due to temps. Weatherman doesn't always get things right.
>>
>>16702
I Think U.S. Army repelling gloves are pretty badass. I have two pair. One fits fairly tight for tactility. The other pair are big enough to wear two wool liners underneath on each hand.

For cold water kayaking, I use a pair of Seirus Xtremes. They will fit under the big leather pair when high abrasion is an issue.
>>
>>16702
Work gloves from hardware store. Stop wasting your money.
>>
File: 44229216.jpg (95KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
44229216.jpg
95KB, 400x400px
>>16702
>>
>>16702

Depends on situation

Mechanix are excellent, the cheapest no-protection ones.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (436KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
436KB, 1200x600px
>>16702

You've got a few options to work with. First and foremost I'd recommend getting some Polyeurothane gloves for basic work stuff and if it starts getting chilly throw a pair of wool gloves on underneath them. These won't save you from getting wet, but in all honesty no glove will with etended use in snow or wet conditions, you have to learn to dry them over a fire or stove. You should be able to find both the Poly and wool gloves from your local hardware store.

If you want to go full gear queer then you can get some Outdoor Research Tactical gloves, or just any glove from them. They will be low profile so you'll get more mobility in your hands, while staying a bit warmer than gloves like Mechanix. I've used some of the data tip gloves from Cableas, they are decent but highly water penetrable - if it's just cold with no snow though I'd definitely recommend some like that.
>>
>>16707
>Mechanix are excellent, the cheapest no-protection ones.

No they're not. VERY poor abrasion resistance, but also no heat protection, no flame protection, not waterproof.

I bought two pairs, both QC was poor, finger stitching on my main digits (index and thumbs) went without weeks.

I now use a pair of thin unlined leather gloves, sold as driving gloves. They're thinner than work gloves, unlined, dry fast, won't burn, and can take some abrasion.

The only time they aren't up to the job is in seriously wet conditions, but even when they wet out they dry fast.
>>
Hestra Mora Glove
>>
>>16702
Seal Skin
>>
File: 25555555555.gif (2MB, 332x332px) Image search: [Google]
25555555555.gif
2MB, 332x332px
>>16711
offer no protection against gnats and stuff

btw whats the best glove for professional batoning ?
>>
>>16709

While I agree that Mechanix do have shit abrasion resistance, their "tactical" series are GOAT for handling guns with.
>>
>>16702
I'll use either fast fit mechanix for most stuff /out/ or some sort of nitrile dipped for work where grip or abrasion resistance is needed. It doesn't too far below freezing here and I only wear light gloves. I just let my hands kinda go numb and just deal with it. I've got some Sitka liner gloves that are all right, but are so thin and slide on the hand they can cause issues doing some task. Loading a shotgun is a nightmare with the gloves getting caught between a shell and the mag tube. I owned some under armor ones prior and they were comparable. They can be paired with other gloves for added warmth. Just make sure that over glove is large enough to fit loosely over the liner and isn't too tight.
>>
File: images-5.jpg (8KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
images-5.jpg
8KB, 224x225px
>>16712
>>
>>16713
that might be but this is /out/ not /k/
>>
>>16709

M8 I've had one pair for two years and they've held up perfectly

I gifted my dad an even older pair I used which is even in better condition.

The do-all glove doesnt exist.
>>
>>16702
Find a style of the mechanics gloves you like, i like PIG brand. I wear them at all times unless i'm doing heavy labor then I switch to a set of leather work gloves.

If its real cold I go to a set of synthetic mittens and give all all dex to be warm.
>>
>>16702
i use these thick northface gloves that i got from dicks for like 80 bucks. theyre good but I've only had them for about a year and im noticing threads popping out on the right one. theyre warm to like 20 degrees during activity time and fingered gloves (vs mittens) will always suck ass during motionlessness. also dont trust the shit saying you can still use your smartphone, but they do allow a moderate/high level of dexterity
>>
>>16719
forgot to say, these are really waterproof. like stick your hand under the faucet for half an hour and youre still golden
>>
>>16706
Seconding this. It'll make you feel like Megaman on your way to Woodman
>>
Theabsolute best gloves i ever had were camelback and i got them issued to me on an afghanistan vacation. They lasted almost the whole year.

These faggots saying gloves last super long don't use gloves.

But alas i cannot find those calfskin and green kevlar camelbacks anymore. I figure they picked up a nice contract, subcontracted it out and made scrilla.

My go to gloves now are hatch sgk100fr. Goatskin palm kevlar back all black. They are cheapish and they last but they are not very warm. But hey, wear them under your mittens if you really need warmth.
>>
>>16709
I use these as well. Great general purpose gloves. Not the most durable so I usually go through 2-3 pair a year. I used the thick nomex gloves most of the time in the Army and the mechanix are more durable but are comperable when it comes to dexterity.

For me, its always the tips of the index finger or thumb that fails on the mechanix gloves but the last pair I bought was better made in those areas.
>>
File: 20170314_184935.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170314_184935.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
These are the USGI Korea era Wool Trigger Finger Mittens.
They are: cheap, abrasion resistant, flame resistant, and fuck are they warm.
They aren't: Well fitting, Puncture resistant, long lasting, or waterproof.
Just plan on replacing them yearly, I bought in bulk so I am set for the next decade.
>>
>>16724
Don't tell everyone. Prices will go up and inventory will go down.

Top tip wear a thin glove (think mountain biking full fingered) underneath for the best warmth.
>>
First Light make the Shale Hybrid ($75 USD). It's made of merino wool and goatskin, light enough to shoot with, heavy enough to keep warm. Comes in like 4 colours and patterns.
Other than that try a hunting mitten, it's very warn but the finger section folds bqck to expose your fingers for dialing in optics, peeing, shooting, nise picking, etc.
>>
>>16725
Ah, another with patrician taste. My current pair has had the elastic go out at the wrist. To keep them on I have to do finger- guns constantly, much to the people around me's concern. I think I'll retire them at the end of the season.
>>
I use a liner glove and mitt, giving me protection most if the time but its still warm when i need dexterity - good for map, compass and rope work, dont know about rifle
I know sealskins do a shooting glove thats like a fingerless glove with a fold over mitt. Ss gloves are warm and waterproof so i can imagine that being a good shout
>>
>>16722
I hear oakley boots are kinda like that. Vets rave about them being great but since then they've chinked them and now they're garbage.
>>
>>16722
https://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/sale/camelbak-mxc-fr-combat-glove.html

They don't fit the tightest but they are bretty good.
>>
Looking at the 5.11 praetorian 2 gloves, goatskin and thinsulate insulation, anyone used these? I like the idea of full leather gloves but in all honesty, I don't know what sort of gloves would be best, i want something warm, but also not too bulky so I can still do stuff, any ideas?
>>
File: IMG_2148.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2148.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>16723
>I usually go through 2-3 pair a year

Yeah to me that's unacceptable.

Pic related were about the same cost, have similar dexterity, but are way more abrasion resistant and also non-flammable.

As you can see they're well used and there's no sign of them giving up yet.
>>
>>16730
Not the same glove at all.
>>
>>16708
>tfw I bought the wool gloves for 3 bucks at a military surplus store

Best decision, too bad no touch screen capabilities.
>>
>>16702
http://www.aasurplus.ca/surplus/product/1602-canadian-military-mortar-gloves
>>
Thinking about the 5.11 tac ak2 gloves, goatskin palm kevlar back, will use with merino liners in winter, anyone used these gloves? Will this combo be warm enough for winter? How warm would this sort of tactical glove be on it's own?
>>
>>16709
yeah, mechanix are kinda known in /k/ more for being cawadooty BS. They get their brand out in the movies and shit, and they supply tons of them to the military(probably for free) but as far as quality goes, they're not great at all..

I bought a pair of regular grey ones, and Mpact ones(with rubber pads over the knuckles and fingers) and am not at all impressed by the quality. Regular ones have had maybe 3 hours of hard use, and are starting to wear though. The Mpact ones dont seem to have been sewn to give full range of motion(not just the rubber pads impeding movement, but the actual stitching on the 'crotch' of the fingers is off).
>>
>>16737
Mechanix might be used by mechanics in the military but they aremost definitely not regulation for any combat mission. They will melt to your skin.

There is a reason all these operator gloves are leather and kevlar.
>>
File: gloves.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
gloves.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Pic related is my current setup. I've had those Seirus gloves since high school (6+ years) and have loved them. Perfect for casual activities during winter/late fall (driving, biking, hanging out outside, walking to school). They have great wind resistance, were waterproof before getting worn, they're thin and fit tight, and the cuff is thick, strechy/tight, and very easy to maintain an overlap with jackets.

That said, they don't stand up to abrasion very well. They're pretty much toast after a recent hike that had me on all 4's more often than not, grabbing onto rocks and dead trees. I wish the entire glove was reinforced the way the thumb, palm, and pointer finger are, because only the tips and sides of the other fingers are splitting after 6+ years of casual use and the occasional outing.

The mittens, I got from fleet farm when they were $1.50 a pair last fall, sold as Italian Trigger Mittens or something. They're very thin but just about completely wind/waterproof. They came with wool liners that were too small, but luckily were removable, and then became a perfect complement to the gloves. This combo kept my hands warm hiking around the top of the Sandias in the windiest/heaviest snowstorm of this past winter.
>>
>>16702
8 years in army in cold as fuck Canada here. I rely on these in the high arctic https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/220248000/dutch-army-winter-camouflage-mittens-dpm?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_ca_en_ca_d-accessories-gloves_and_mittens-other&utm_custom1=a2421926-f555-48f6-87b6-2918ee63c0af&gclid=CKXdoOfz8tICFUVXDQodOEwDFQ
Wear small liner gloves under them- the ones you can get at walmart that allow you to still use cell phones. In the summer I use a mix of fleece gloves with the bare tips of the thumb, index and middle fingers cut off and liner gloves depending on the day.

Those mittens are fucking god tier though, get a pair. Dutch army surplus. Totally waterproof, super light, super cosy and you can still shoot a gun while wearing them.
>>
>>16732
these look nice, brand?
>>
>>16739
I'm on my third pair of Seirus Extremes. Pretty much all my glove blow out between the thumb and index finger from paddling. Wearing cheaper leather repelling gloves over the Extremes made my second pair last much longer.
>>
File: shopping (1).jpg (35KB, 496x466px) Image search: [Google]
shopping (1).jpg
35KB, 496x466px
>>16702

Are these gloves good for going /out/ or are they a meme?
>>
>>16743
those are mil, get gloves for the forest. Those wont deal well over long time with wood and rough material compared to gloves made from a slightly softer material
>>
I was doing some spring cleaning today in my storage locker and found these and thought of you /out/ists. Dunno if they still make them, dunno why i never used them. But they look and feel great. Hatch hcg752
>>
File: Screenshot_20170330-205834.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170330-205834.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
Kuiu Guide gloves and Mechanix
>>
>>16705
Hear, hear
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.